Philly - Memphis

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

howiezbt
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Philly - Memphis 

Post#1 » by howiezbt » Thu May 9, 2024 2:58 am

Philly trades 2024 1st Round pick (#16)

Memphis Trades: Marcus Smart and a 2025 FRP (top 20 protected), then 2 SRPs.

Philly gives up a decent pick for smart who will help their perimeter defense and make the hustle plays Philly needs.

Memphis is up against the cap and wants to pick up Kennard’s option. If they do, they have no space to improve the team via free agency. Trading Smart’s contract makes it all work. Plus they get a mid round FRP to do it. Trading a future protected pick is a good sweetener to open up their ability to sign free agents.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,964

Re: Philly - Memphis 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:48 am

This is not something we would consider at all. We simply release Kennard 100 out of 100 times if we determine we want the full mle to go shopping with. Drop the 2025 1st then at least it is a consideration if we want to pivot, but I still think we pass here.

Philly is going to hold on to their cap space to go star hunting regardless so this is likely not something they would explore before FA even starts.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Post#3 » by esvl » Thu May 9, 2024 8:44 am

Smart > #16 2024, even >> for a contender
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 558

Post#4 » by PhillyNj » Thu May 9, 2024 10:06 am

Smart at 20 million next year and 21 mil the year after in a NBA with the new apron system is not a positive.
I believe you will see players like Smart being salary dumped just so teams don’t have to pay the taxes.
I’d like to add.” I like Smart. This is not a knock on him at all”
Under the new CBA he has negative value. The best I can see you getting is trading him to another team for a player with say 10 mil. That no longer fits with his team. Certainly no chance he warents a decent FRP.
howiezbt
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#5 » by howiezbt » Thu May 9, 2024 11:45 am

Both sides hate it. Must be a good deal! Haha!!
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by esvl » Thu May 9, 2024 12:58 pm

PhillyNj wrote:Smart at 20 million next year and 21 mil the year after in a NBA with the new apron system is not a positive.
I believe you will see players like Smart being salary dumped just so teams don’t have to pay the taxes.
Under the new CBA he has negative value. The best I can see you getting is trading him to another team for a player with say 10 mil. That no longer fits with his team. Certainly no chance he warents a decent FRP.

Smart would eat Brunson alive. Is it worth the 10 m difference in salary?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 9, 2024 1:11 pm

PhillyNj wrote:Smart at 20 million next year and 21 mil the year after in a NBA with the new apron system is not a positive.

20M is the going rate for a 4th-5th starter. Smart is paid appropiately
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,710

Post#8 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:16 pm

I don’t think Memphis needs to send a pick here. They gave up two first to acquire Smart, so I don’t think they would be ready to bail on him anyway.
I like the idea for Philly.
Sign here
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,667

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu May 9, 2024 5:06 pm

I haven't done the math, but if Philly could do:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

Then the idea of Smart is pretty awesome. 16 and maybe more although the timing is a bit of an issue.
If it is a choice between Reed and Smart, then it gets dicier as an Embiid backup at least as good as Reed if not better is really a need.
If it is a choice between Smart and a max fa, then Smart isn't an option worth considering at this time.

For Memphis, I'm okay with selling out of Smart and retooling for a slightly younger timeline. But obviously the inclusion of the pick looks pretty scary, if you trade Smart and pick 21 to get pick 16 in a supposedly weak draft, what the hell were you trading Smart for?
If OP is trying to pay less than 16, well, I think 16 is already a fair price to pay so I disagree. But if still trying to do that, just make it directly the 2nds or something less variable than a chance at a similar-ish pick.
psman2
General Manager

Post#10 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:28 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I haven't done the math, but if Philly could do:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

Then the idea of Smart is pretty awesome. 16 and maybe more although the timing is a bit of an issue.
If it is a choice between Reed and Smart, then it gets dicier as an Embiid backup at least as good as Reed if not better is really a need.
If it is a choice between Smart and a max fa, then Smart isn't an option worth considering at this time.

For Memphis, I'm okay with selling out of Smart and retooling for a slightly younger timeline. But obviously the inclusion of the pick looks pretty scary, if you trade Smart and pick 21 to get pick 16 in a supposedly weak draft, what the hell were you trading Smart for?
If OP is trying to pay less than 16, well, I think 16 is already a fair price to pay so I disagree. But if still trying to do that, just make it directly the 2nds or something less variable than a chance at a similar-ish pick.

I agree that Memphis at least has the roster now where they could consider a Smart trade if it makes sense. But the timing of this trade using a 2024 pick and 76ers FA plans is going to make the OP near impossible. Now during FA if Philly wants Smart still and Memphis can find a 3 way deal they like then maybe something can be figured out here. Like a 3 way landing us Claxton with the Nets receiving the Philly asset(2028 LAC 1st?). That is a scenario I could see unfolding, but dumping Smart to avoid the the tax is not going to be a thing. Memphis simply releases Kennard and we are out of the tax if that is a priority and can then pay to dump some other little salaries and we have the full MLE if needed. And no way is Memphis including a 1st here.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by esvl » Thu May 9, 2024 5:29 pm

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

Given that Smart is a desirable asset for most contenders, including both PHI and MEM, why would Memphis agree to trade him for a moderate draft asset? If Smart is great for PHI, why he is not great for MEM is where I struggle to catch the rationale.
psman2
General Manager

Post#12 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:48 pm

esvl wrote:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

Given that Smart is a desirable asset for most contenders, including both PHI and MEM, why would Memphis agree to trade him for a moderate draft asset? If Smart is great for PHI, why he is not great for MEM is where I struggle to catch the rationale.

I think the rationale of the OP was off, but redistributing Smart's salary/value to the frontcourt could be something Memphis at least considers. Trading him for a TPE and 16 would never be in the cards, but working out an acceptable 3 way deal could be.
HartfordWhalers

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu May 9, 2024 7:26 pm

esvl wrote:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

Philly's best player is what 6 years older than Memphis' best? Personally if I were Memphis I would be trying to time to be as good as possible in 2-3 years versus going all in now.
So, yeah, regardless of Philly being involved which has some real timeline issues with free agency (Edit: and regardless if you think 16 is far below Smart's value which I would disagree with strongly) I think Memphis pushed in a bit too early for Smart, and would be smart to do similar to what they did with melton, slightly roll over the asset to hopefully peak all similar to the right time.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,622

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:50 pm

esvl wrote:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

How broadly are we defining contenders here?

Once you've answered that question, how do those teams aquire Smart without sending back even more money to the Grizzlies?

The Magic have Suggs. I think the list is probably Philly unless PG walks and the Clippers get in the mix.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by esvl » Thu May 9, 2024 8:55 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

I think the rationale of the OP was off, but redistributing Smart's salary/value to the frontcourt could be something Memphis at least considers. Trading him for a TPE and 16 would never be in the cards, but working out an acceptable 3 way deal could be.

Next year play off, do you want to have Smart in clutch against best NBA teams? If not, who would take his role?
HartfordWhalers

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu May 9, 2024 9:01 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

I really should look and see if this blocks Philly's FA plans first, but just putting in some other contender as a baseline something around:

Smart to Philly or some other contender
Grant to Memphis
Zaire + [filler?] + draft compensation to Portland

With obviously everyone getting more value filled in.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by esvl » Thu May 9, 2024 9:02 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
esvl wrote:

1) Max FA
2) Keep Reed?
3) Get Smart

Philly's best player is what 6 years older than Memphis' best? Personally if I were Memphis I would be trying to time to be as good as possible in 2-3 years versus going all in now.
So, yeah, regardless of Philly being involved which has some real timeline issues with free agency (Edit: and regardless if you think 16 is far below Smart's value which I would disagree with strongly) I think Memphis pushed in a bit too early for Smart, and would be smart to do similar to what they did with melton, slightly roll over the asset to hopefully peak all similar to the right time.

Memphis’ boys are ready. The championship window is open for them. We disagree here.

On Smart’s trade value. #16 on a good draft would be close if and only if Memphis does not need his intangibles, leadership, and experience as desperately as they are needed now.
psman2
General Manager

Post#18 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:42 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

I really should look and see if this blocks Philly's FA plans first, but just putting in some other contender as a baseline something around:

Grant to Memphis

Zero interest in Grant. Last thing we need is expensive 4th option that is an anemic rebounder. Keep Smart easily over Grant.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#19 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 9, 2024 9:45 pm

psman2 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Grant to Memphis

Zero interest in Grant. Last thing we need is expensive 4th option that is an anemic rebounder. Keep Smart easily over Grant.

smart to philly
poeltl to memphis
draft compensation to toronto
psman2
General Manager

Post#20 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:48 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Next year play off, do you want to have Smart in clutch against best NBA teams? If not, who would take his role?

I think Vince is the most likely to step into that role. Not the defender that Smart is but if we can get a good defensive frontcourt player in then I think we will be ok. Now of course I rather hold onto to Smart and find another way to land a guy like Claxton but the numbers might not work out and is something we are going to have to evaluate.

But yes I am looking forward to keeping Smart and having him as our main POA defender in the playoffs next year.

Return to Trades and Transactions