The Green Kornet gets more green

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,765

The Green Kornet gets more green 

Post#1 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:18 pm

What will Luke Kornet get in his next contract.
Fantastic role player, getting some exposure in the spotlight with Porzingis out. What type of contract offers does he get next season. He is a UFA.
Sign here
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,191

Re: The Green Kornet gets more green 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 2:39 pm

brackdan70 wrote:What will Luke Kornet get in his next contract.
Fantastic role player, getting some exposure in the spotlight with Porzingis out. What type of contract offers does he get next season. He is a UFA.

Guaranteed vet minimum to maybe double that? He's still not a floor stretch or true rim protector, though he works hard in that avenue and sometimes dissuades guys with height and effort, and can even block a couple shots here and there. But he's still a low minutes, situational big, and those guys just don't get paid. Especially not as he'll be 29 this summer, and there's no "potential" or whatnot.

I would imagine he re-signs in Boston for a bit over the vet minimum, and has it fully guaranteed, rather than having to sweat out the January cut down dates? And that Boston is happy to have him for that.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,310

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Wed May 8, 2024 2:42 pm

Less than Jock Landale.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#4 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:42 pm

Philly will sign him for 3/90 like they did with Horford.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,342

Post#5 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 8, 2024 2:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Guaranteed vet minimum to maybe double that? He's still not a floor stretch or true rim protector, though he works hard in that avenue and sometimes dissuades guys with height and effort, and can even block a couple shots here and there. But he's still a low minutes, situational big, and those guys just don't get paid. Especially not as he'll be 29 this summer, and there's no "potential" or whatnot.

I would imagine he re-signs in Boston for a bit over the vet minimum, and has it fully guaranteed, rather than having to sweat out the January cut down dates? And that Boston is happy to have him for that.

Hope you are right.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,230

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 8, 2024 2:56 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Philly will sign him for 3/90 like they did with Horford.

Warned. And enjoy your break. If you aren't interested in contributing beyond snark, we can help you.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 2:58 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Hope you are right.

I won't guarantee it, but....do you see a team in the league that thinks he might start for them? Is there a team that even thinks that he's a primary backup (like, 6th-8th or 9th man)? A situational wing or PG in that spot might still get a decent sized salary, but a near 30 year old center? The situation likely keeps his street cost pretty low, no?
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#8 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 8, 2024 3:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Hope you are right.

I won't guarantee it, but....do you see a team in the league that thinks he might start for them? Is there a team that even thinks that he's a primary backup (like, 6th-8th or 9th man)? A situational wing or PG in that spot might still get a decent sized salary, but a near 30 year old center? The situation likely keeps his street cost pretty low, no?

Kornet has had an outstanding year for the Celtics and continues to play well in the playoffs. I think his ceiling for his next contract is 3 years and $15 million ($5 million per year). In the NBA there is always one team.........

If Kornet gets that type of contract then I don't think the Celtics match. So I hope you are right.

Jock Landale got 4 years and $32 million. In the NBA there is always one team.........
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#9 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

As a Boston fan I hope that is correct.
He is a good shooter and could stretch the floor if he was asked to. He does have limitations on being switchable and guarding the perimeter though.
I think many Boston fans are concerned he could get a bigger offer.
Sign here
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 3:09 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Hope you are right.

Kornet has had an outstanding year for the Celtics and continues to play well in the playoffs. I think his ceiling for his next contract is 3 years and $15 million ($5 million per year). In the NBA there is always one team.........

If Kornet gets that type of contract then I don't think the Celtics match. So I hope you are right.

Jock Landale got 4 years and $32 million. In the NBA there is always one team.........

Jock got a 1/$8m specifically as a salary matching piece for trades. But yeah, it's possible that one team decides to give Kornet a small, but decent salary and Boston just loses him? :dontknow:

But if Kornet gets 3/$15m, I'd bet that years 2 and 3 are either fully non-guaranteed, or only partial guarantees? And at that point, that's pretty much just what I suggested as about double the vet minimum (year one would be $4-4.5m ish)?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 3:12 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

He is a good shooter and could stretch the floor if he was asked to. He does have limitations on being switchable and guarding the perimeter though.

He hasn't shown the ability to reliably hit the 3 since 2018-19. And I bet that if he could stretch the floor, Boston would happily ask him to? Teams don't often ask a player to not utilize talents that could make the team much better or more of a threat offensively. They usually ask them not to try to stretch the floor if they just can't reliably stretch the floor.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#12 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 8, 2024 3:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Jock got a 1/$8m specifically as a salary matching piece for trades. But yeah, it's possible that one team decides to give Kornet a small, but decent salary and Boston just loses him? :dontknow:

But if Kornet gets 3/$15m, I'd bet that years 2 and 3 are either fully non-guaranteed, or only partial guarantees? And at that point, that's pretty much just what I suggested as about double the vet minimum (year one would be $4-4.5m ish)?

Kornet loves Boston. I think the Celtics and Kornet will work out a reasonable deal something like 3 years $9 million with all guaranteed money but you never know. It only takes one team.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#13 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

He hasn't shown the ability to reliably hit the 3 since 2018-19. And I bet that if he could stretch the floor, Boston would happily ask him to? Teams don't often ask a player to not utilize talents that could make the team much better or more of a threat offensively. They usually ask them not to try to stretch the floor if they just can't reliably stretch the floor.

He has consciously changed his game to focus more inside and use his size. He doesn’t miss from the line and yeah he wouldn’t be Steph curry but I bet he could hit a third of his 3s or better if he made that his game. He is more effective as an offensive rebounding screen and roll guy.
Sign here
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 7:24 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Kornet has had an outstanding year for the Celtics and continues to play well in the playoffs. I think his ceiling for his next contract is 3 years and $15 million ($5 million per year). In the NBA there is always one team.........

Kornet loves Boston. I think the Celtics and Kornet will work out a reasonable deal something like 3 years $9 million with all guaranteed money but you never know. It only takes one team.

That’s essentially a 3 year minimum salary for someone with his years of service, so I guess. :dontknow:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 7:28 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:As a Boston fan I hope that is correct.

He has consciously changed his game to focus more inside and use his size. He doesn’t miss from the line and yeah he wouldn’t be Steph curry but I bet he could hit a third of his 3s or better if he made that his game. He is more effective as an offensive rebounding screen and roll guy.

Are you saying he’s just missing 3’s on purpose for the last 4-5 seasons? Hes 52 of his past 188 3’s taken. I think he’s just playing to his talents and skills. Teams love centers that don’t clog the lane on offense. If he could reasonably do it, teams would have had him working his butt off to do it the last 5 years.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#16 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Are you saying he’s just missing 3’s on purpose for the last 4-5 seasons? Hes 52 of his past 188 3’s taken. I think he’s just playing to his talents and skills. Teams love centers that don’t clog the lane on offense. If he could reasonably do it, teams would have had him working his butt off to do it the last 5 years.

How would you think that’s what I’m saying.
I’m not saying he is Karl Towns. I’m saying he is focusing on different aspects of his game and it’s served him well. He is clearly a role player. I am just saying he has a good stroke and I he wanted to focus on being a 3 point shooter he could. The Cs don’t need that as the rest of the team is better than average from 3.
Sign here
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,906

Post#17 » by gswhoops » Wed May 8, 2024 8:01 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:He has consciously changed his game to focus more inside and use his size. He doesn’t miss from the line and yeah he wouldn’t be Steph curry but I bet he could hit a third of his 3s or better if he made that his game. He is more effective as an offensive rebounding screen and roll guy.

I’m not saying he is Karl Towns. I’m saying he is focusing on different aspects of his game and it’s served him well. He is clearly a role player. I am just saying he has a good stroke and I he wanted to focus on being a 3 point shooter he could. The Cs don’t need that as the rest of the team is better than average from 3.

I think his point is even that if he's hypothetically taking fewer 3s because he's focusing on other aspects of his game, he's still not hitting the 3s he does take at a very high rate.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 8, 2024 8:11 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:He has consciously changed his game to focus more inside and use his size. He doesn’t miss from the line and yeah he wouldn’t be Steph curry but I bet he could hit a third of his 3s or better if he made that his game. He is more effective as an offensive rebounding screen and roll guy.

I just think it’s silly to say that basically any player in the league can just be anything. Kornet is what he is. He was on the edge of falling out of the league when he tried to stretch the floor. Now that he’s not trying to, he’s found a small, niche, role. I just wouldn’t assume hat he, or any player in the league, can just all of a sudden just “choose” to be good at something. I get his shooting stroke might look fine, and his free throw shot is fine, but that doesn’t mean he can just be good at shooting 3’s. Like, if he could’ve, you don’t think Boston would have had him just do that? They would want him to do that.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 161

Post#19 » by Astaluego » Wed May 8, 2024 8:12 pm

I like him...the Magic should offer him something like 5 million to replace Goga, if he's gone
Old Mike Lorenzo
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#20 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:25 pm

gswhoops wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I think his point is even that if he's hypothetically taking fewer 3s because he's focusing on other aspects of his game, he's still not hitting the 3s he does take at a very high rate.

He is no longer even taking them. Took one and made it this year.
Sign here

Return to Trades and Transactions