DAL/LAC: What’s the price for Dallas to make this swap?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,198

DAL/LAC: What’s the price for Dallas to make this swap? 

Post#1 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 5, 2024 12:42 am

Dallas could use an upgrade at the THJ spot to take the team up a level if they’re able to resign Jones this offseason.

Dallas sends: THJ + plus asset(s)
Clippers send: Norman Powell

That question I have for the board is what asset(s) would this swap cost? Dallas’s tradable assets are Dal 2025 1st, Tor 2025 2nd, OMax Prosper, and Hardy. They have a few others but those 4 are the tangible stuff right now.

Why Dallas? They get a better shooter, with a more diverse game.

Why LAC? They get contract flexibility and pick up a asset for marginal moves this offseason.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,114

Re: DAL/LAC: What’s the price for Dallas to make this swap? 

Post#2 » by ejftw » Sun May 5, 2024 2:14 am

I don't see Hardy nor OMax having much value to the Clippers, as BJ is a similar prospect to Hardy (though, I enjoyed watching both play throughout AAU and HS.) I see Hardy as having the higher floor but a lower ceiling, albeit, not by much. With Mann/Coffey, I don't see OMax getting much burn.

The Raps second isn't enough value, while I feel the Mavs first is going too much the other way.

Maybe a swap swap where Clips get the second best of the OKC/LAC/Dal firsts, Dal gets the worst of the three, the Raps second and some other FSRP?

In either case, I don't see Frank moving on from Norm, who they seem to like.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,881

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 5, 2024 7:17 am

Hard pass on this, Mavs need to start surgical targeting of roster spots, Powell is a defensive liability and isn't great attacking closeouts, he's basically smaller but more consistent THJ.
I'd pay real stuff (25 1st for example) and get a more versatile bench guard (Bogi or Sexton).
For this exchange TOR 25 2nd is enough to bridge the value IMO.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,378

Post#4 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:04 am

Mavrelous wrote:Hard pass on this, Mavs need to start surgical targeting of roster spots, Powell is a defensive liability and isn't great attacking closeouts, he's basically smaller but more consistent THJ.
I'd pay real stuff (25 1st for example) and get a more versatile bench guard (Bogi or Sexton).

Maybe another DJJ type or Reggie Bullock type instead.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 5, 2024 9:11 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Hard pass on this, Mavs need to start surgical targeting of roster spots, Powell is a defensive liability and isn't great attacking closeouts, he's basically smaller but more consistent THJ.

Mavs need to replace THJ salary slot and minutes, especially with Luka being 70 games/season and Kyrie is 50/season, but I think they should go for high quality offensive guard off the bench, basically pre 2022 Brunson.
Hardy was hoped for to be that guy, after promising 1st year, but he regressed instead of improving this year.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:13 am

Mavrelous wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Mavs need to replace THJ salary slot and minutes, especially with Luka being 70 games/season and Kyrie is 50/season, but I think they should go for high quality offensive guard off the bench, basically pre 2022 Brunson.
Hardy was hoped for to be that guy, after promising 1st year, but he regressed instead of improving this year.

What about DeMar on an SnT?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#7 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 5, 2024 9:15 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

That's a very intersting idea, if DDR is OK with being 6th man, I'd love to have him in this role.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:18 am

Mavrelous wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

That's a very intersting idea, if DDR is OK with being 6th man, I'd love to have him in this role.

He could start but still play largely with the bench unit. I guess it's about bringing in iso scoring talent for when Luka and Kyrie are out.

I think Mavs need a more reliable Maxi type though.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#9 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 5, 2024 9:30 am

zimpy27 wrote:I think Mavs need a more reliable Maxi type though.

Very hard to replace, they'd delay it as much as necessary, they can get by w/o him in RS but they need him in the PO.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,431

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:51 am

On behalf of the Jazz, I accept THJ and a first for Sexton (tbh I think the FO may want to keep him).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,090

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Sun May 5, 2024 1:28 pm

Exactly this. Norman is not even a tier above THJ, maybe a paper clip if that. But he's shorter and on a longer deal. Absolutely nonsensical for Dallas to add any incentive to swap these 2.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:34 pm

I don't think Dallas should target Powell at all. I have a salary dump of an expiring THJ, so they can bring back DJJ, as a better move than adding a guy like Powell.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#13 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 5, 2024 3:33 pm

Perhaps I wasn’t thinking big enough, I was thinking something like Hardy, THJ, TOR 2nd for Powell. But I think 25 1st, THJ, for Sexton would be nice.

I think the playoffs is where teams needs show up and coming off a series where Dallas shot 33 percent from 3 and 72 percent from the line I have shooting as a bigger need then defense.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 5, 2024 3:46 pm

BeiBeau wrote:

Perhaps I wasn’t thinking big enough, I was thinking something like Hardy, THJ, TOR 2nd for Powell. But I think 25 1st, THJ, for Sexton would be nice.

I think the playoffs is where teams needs show up and coming off a series where Dallas shot 33 percent from 3 and 72 percent from the line I have shooting as a bigger need then defense.

The RS stretch when Kyrie went down was rough, Exum is injury prune also, a limited shooter doesn't foot the bill.
Bigger problem than the asset needed is the salary slot, Mavs are hardcapped at 1st Apron due to new CBA, only disposable salaries are THJ and Dwight Powell, and Josh Green to lesser extent.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#15 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 5, 2024 5:17 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

The RS stretch when Kyrie went down was rough, Exum is injury prune also, a limited shooter doesn't foot the bill.
Bigger problem than the asset needed is the salary slot, Mavs are hardcapped at 1st Apron due to new CBA, only disposable salaries are THJ and Dwight Powell, and Josh Green to lesser extent.

I commented on something the other day and said that a successful offseason for Dallas would be,

1. Resign DJJ, ideally Dallas can get him on a 1+1 deal with a player option for the TMLE. And if DJJ has had another season like this year then he could decline and get 3/30-33 from Dallas in 2025. He might be out playing the TMLE right now but he was pretty clearly better then a minimum guy last offseason but the free agents above him eat up the available money and he has to take a contract at a discount.

2. Upgrade the THJ spot. Dallas should be trying to replicate how swapping Grant for PJ raised the teams floor and ceiling. I think Sexton in THJ spot could have a similar affect even to a lesser degree.

If Dallas also wanted to improve their contract situation then I think there are 2 questions, how much more would it cost to swap Green for Sexton? And what can THJ’s expiring get them?
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#16 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 5, 2024 5:18 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

On behalf of the Jazz, I accept THJ and a first for Sexton (tbh I think the FO may want to keep him).

How much more would you say Green for Sexton cost?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:59 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Whatever it costs to dump Green's contract. I'm not sure what that is - if it is a protected 1st, several 2nds, etc.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,742

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:07 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:On behalf of the Jazz, I accept THJ and a first for Sexton (tbh I think the FO may want to keep him).

Whatever it costs to dump Green's contract. I'm not sure what that is - if it is a protected 1st, several 2nds, etc.

Dallas is in no position to pay a premium on top to include Green. So it makes more sense for both if Dallas had Sexton interest to just use THJ rather than saddle the Jazz with a player they don't want and cost Dallas a higher price. Green is a 25 mpg RS rotation guy who is at least playable in a smaller role in the playoffs. No reason to pay to dump that when Dallas has minimal assets to being with. And Green is actually a pretty good complement to Sexton on a 2nd unit.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#19 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Dallas is in no position to pay a premium on top to include Green. So it makes more sense for both if Dallas had Sexton interest to just use THJ rather than saddle the Jazz with a player they don't want and cost Dallas a higher price. Green is a 25 mpg RS rotation guy who is at least playable in a smaller role in the playoffs. No reason to pay to dump that when Dallas has minimal assets to being with. And Green is actually a pretty good complement to Sexton on a 2nd unit.

Yah, I like Green. I don't like his contract, but he provides some stuff Dallas needs and I agree would be a nice compliment to Sexton. He's also biggish matching salary if someone becomes available.

JColl
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,742

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:22 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Yah, I like Green. I don't like his contract,

Nobody does... Dallas broke my cardinal rule of paying a guy just to not lose a guy. I would have let him hit RFA and prove he had a market. I can't imagine a cap space team would have put some ugly offer out there they wouldn't have matched if they wanted anyway.

I guess if they are willing to trade THJ's money for long-term money and keep paying for the roster, no big deal. But if they let that THJ salary slot just expire or even try and just get off the money this year, its tough to stomach.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions