Instant Reaction: What Do The 76ers Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Instant Reaction: What Do The 76ers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Fri May 3, 2024 5:28 am

What does Philadelphia do this off-season?
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,521

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The 76ers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#2 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 3, 2024 5:40 am

Swing for PG in FA.

If you can't get him you should probably trade Embiid and start building around Maxey. Feels like the Embiid era is over with his injury history and age.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#3 » by NYG » Fri May 3, 2024 5:54 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Swing for PG in FA.

If you can't get him you should probably trade Embiid and start building around Maxey. Feels like the Embiid era is over with his injury history and age.

Where does Embiid make sense? What is even his value right now?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,366

Post#4 » by zimpy27 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:23 am

They are setup really well to have a huge FA period. I think they'd be very attractive for a guy wanting money to play as a 3rd star with Embiid and Maxey.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
YayBasketball
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by YayBasketball » Fri May 3, 2024 8:26 am

NYG wrote:

Yea I'm sure they will get some free agent or trade star and keep Embiid. But Pelicans would be a fun outsider bidder for Embiid. Could offer Ingram, lots a picks, and one or both of Daniels/Hawkins. CJ could be involved to a 3rd team. Unlikely but fun to dream.

___/ Herb/ Murphy/ Zion/ Embiid would be a fun core to gamble on, pray for health and shoot for contention and growth from Zion and Murphy.
YayBasketball
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by YayBasketball » Fri May 3, 2024 8:28 am

zimpy27 wrote:They are setup really well to have a huge FA period. I think they'd be very attractive for a guy wanting money to play as a 3rd star with Embiid and Maxey.

Paul George and.... who else is a realistic option?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,529

Post#7 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:08 am

They are one of the worst free agent draws who happened to open up massive cap space in one of the worst free agent years. I guess they could overpay for DDR or something? Or they could do something funny and sign Fultz, Covington, and trade for Simmons.
I can't imagine PG13 wanting to go to Philadelphia over the Clippers unless Ballmer really lowballs him.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,366

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:27 am

YayBasketball wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:They are setup really well to have a huge FA period. I think they'd be very attractive for a guy wanting money to play as a 3rd star with Embiid and Maxey.

Paul George and.... who else is a realistic option?

LeBron James or Pascal Siakam
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,650

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Fri May 3, 2024 9:30 am

Trade the MVP, keep Maxey but tank to make sure you finish in bottom two in league and keep your pick next year, hope to be back exactly where you are now in 4-6 years?

That doesn’t sound like a good scenario for Philly..

I think Morey is going to have to do a lot of work this offseason either way though. If you manage to sign PG or Pascal, have to build a good roster around them, which is a good problem but will be tricky.

If you don’t manage to sign them, you probably have to hope to sweet talk a couple your current guys into sticking around after leaving them waiting for PG decision..while probably doing a “star” trade after?

None of that is going to be known at the draft, so I think Morey either trades out for a future first to delay the trade asset or trades back for multiple smaller assets. I like the trade back option best since they might need salary matching this offseason, specifically with NYK at 24 and 25? Maybe even get 38 on top of that, maybe give NYK a future second back, etc..

I think if we assume PG/Pascal/OG/LBJ turn them down, they will go for Demar and even Bridges.. The LAC pick/swap they own adds some value to their trade package for an Ingram or Lauri, asking Detroit/Tobi to turn their newly signed contract into a sign and trade so Philly can keep other options open..
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,565

Post#10 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 3, 2024 10:06 am

YayBasketball wrote:
NYG wrote:

Yea I'm sure they will get some free agent or trade star and keep Embiid. But Pelicans would be a fun outsider bidder for Embiid. Could offer Ingram, lots a picks, and one or both of Daniels/Hawkins. CJ could be involved to a 3rd team. Unlikely but fun to dream.

___/ Herb/ Murphy/ Zion/ Embiid would be a fun core to gamble on, pray for health and shoot for contention and growth from Zion and Murphy.

That isn’t the Pels offer for Embiid. If it doesn’t start with Zion, Pels offer gets beat very, very easy.

To Suns for Booker. Been discussed a ton.
To OKC for Jalen+. If Presti wants Embiid he will get him.
To Magic for Banchero+.

These are legit offers for debate.

Zion + Murphy is a good start for Pels.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#11 » by PhillyNj » Fri May 3, 2024 10:14 am

BK_2020 wrote:They are one of the worst free agent draws who happened to open up massive cap space in one of the worst free agent years. I guess they could overpay for DDR or something? Or they could do something funny and sign Fultz, Covington, and trade for Simmons.
I can't imagine PG13 wanting to go to Philadelphia over the Clippers unless Ballmer really lowballs him.

why? The clippers have won nothing and there getting old. No reason to think they will ever win a title with the currant roster.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,565

Post#12 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 3, 2024 10:35 am

I think Pacers trading for Embiid is very interesting destination. Of course the Siakam connection, but Embiid playing with a true PG like Hali would be fun to see.

Turner to 3rd team for youth/assets
Mathurin
Walker
Picks

Embiid
Siakam
Nesmith
Nembhard
Hali

Plus ability to bring back a deep bench.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#13 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:44 am

PhillyNj wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:They are one of the worst free agent draws who happened to open up massive cap space in one of the worst free agent years. I guess they could overpay for DDR or something? Or they could do something funny and sign Fultz, Covington, and trade for Simmons.

why? The clippers have won nothing and there getting old. No reason to think they will ever win a title with the currant roster.

The Sixers have won nothing, Embiid is 30, and they were a play-in team that made it in thanks to Nic Batum going unconscious for a game. What reasons would you have to think the Sixers have a better chance than the Clippers?
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#14 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:45 am

jayjaysee wrote:Trade the MVP, keep Maxey but tank to make sure you finish in bottom two in league and keep your pick next year, hope to be back exactly where you are now in 4-6 years?

I think Morey is going to have to do a lot of work this offseason either way though. If you manage to sign PG or Pascal, have to build a good roster around them, which is a good problem but will be tricky.

If you don’t manage to sign them, you probably have to hope to sweet talk a couple your current guys into sticking around after leaving them waiting for PG decision..while probably doing a “star” trade after?

None of that is going to be known at the draft, so I think Morey either trades out for a future first to delay the trade asset or trades back for multiple smaller assets. I like the trade back option best since they might need salary matching this offseason, specifically with NYK at 24 and 25? Maybe even get 38 on top of that, maybe give NYK a future second back, etc..

I think if we assume PG/Pascal/OG/LBJ turn them down, they will go for Demar and even Bridges.. The LAC pick/swap they own adds some value to their trade package for an Ingram or Lauri, asking Detroit/Tobi to turn their newly signed contract into a sign and trade so Philly can keep other options open..

Doesn't Siakam hate Nick Nurse?
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 993

Post#15 » by Decipher » Fri May 3, 2024 10:50 am

Embiid isn’t going anywhere unless he’s crocked

It’s Morey so you know he’s going to swing for the fences

My first conversation would be with LeBron
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Fri May 3, 2024 10:54 am

BK_2020 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Trade the MVP, keep Maxey but tank to make sure you finish in bottom two in league and keep your pick next year, hope to be back exactly where you are now in 4-6 years?

Doesn't Siakam hate Nick Nurse?

Fire Nurse then.

Not being sarcastic. Joel/Pascal/Maxey is worth firing Nurse..
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Fri May 3, 2024 10:57 am

As a back up back up back up plan.. I really like;

Grant and Thybulle back to Hinkie
OKC first and another first (2024 player drafted at 16 or maybe “worst of LAC/Philly 2028” something like that to Portland

I’d try to tie it into a Tobias sign and trade and pay/beg that team (Det) to give Tobi a front loaded deal starting around/at least 38 mil to avoid triggering a hard cap
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,787

Post#18 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 12:27 pm

PG or bust…maybe even LBJ or KD

trading Joel is not an option, imo, he’s still a beast, but his emerging health concerns are detrimental to his value…for next couple of years, he’s definitely worth more to PHI than trade value, leading to rebuild. Plus, entire supporting cast are vet mins who can be kept to ring chase short-term. Trading Embiid would be a total tear down - which is not why Morley is there.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,042

Post#19 » by R-DAWG » Fri May 3, 2024 12:37 pm

jayjaysee wrote:As a back up back up back up plan.. I really like;

Grant and Thybulle back to Hinkie
OKC first and another first (2024 player drafted at 16 or maybe “worst of LAC/Philly 2028” something like that to Portland

I’d try to tie it into a Tobias sign and trade and pay/beg that team (Det) to give Tobi a front loaded deal starting around/at least 38 mil to avoid triggering a hard cap

Grant/Thybulle are interesting, but I think it's hard to stomach using 2/3 of the available cap space plus picks and ending up with Grant and Thybulle.

If we are reaching into the picks kitty, I would be zeroing in on Alex Carusso and Dorin Finey-Smith. Both guys are entering the last year of their deal so the price should come down a little bit. Two trades:
1) Carusso for pick $16
2) Dorin Finey-Smith for the 2026 OKC 1st and lowering protections on the 2027 pick that BK owns from Philly from top-8 to top-3.

Combined, DFS and Carusso make $24,276,320 and would leave Philly with $40.8MM in cap space to work with and the roster that has Embiid, Maxey, Carusso, DSF and Ricky Council.

With the remaining cap space I would target DeMar DeRozan. He's is the third scoring option this team needs and he is surrounded by shooters and defenders. I would be offering a 3 year, $109MM contract starting at $35MM per year. That would leave enough room to bring back Oubre and Batum on deals that start at $4.65MM per year.

Maxey-Carusso-DeRozan-DFS-Embiid
Bench features Batum and Oubre

With the room exception, I'm looking for frontcourt depth - a guy who can play PF with Embiid and slide to backup C. Retaining Paul Reed actually isn't a bad option, but maybe you could end up stealing Mo Wagner from ORL.

I like the structure of this team. It's an 8 deep roster that has 3 all-star caliber scoring options, two high end 3 and D wings, and a flexible bench. It's not the home run ball that PHIL was hoping for, but it's a much better roster than the one that just lost in the first round.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#20 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 3, 2024 12:37 pm

Plan A: Get Paul George in FA and then trade all the picks for Lauri, re-sign Oubre (space MLE) and Lowry and Batum (vet mins for both), grab Drummond for a minimum

Plan B: Trade all the picks for Lauri, sign Malik Monk, some other role playing wing (Fontecchio? Derrick Jones Jr?), re-sign Oubre (space MLE) and Lowry and Batum (vet mins for both), grab Drummond for a minimum

Plan C: Trade Embiid for Chet Holmgren and picks

Return to Trades and Transactions