The Jazz gotta move Lauri

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,371

The Jazz gotta move Lauri 

Post#1 » by Saul Goodman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm

I’m gona catch some hate I’m sure but hear me out. The Jazz just won’t be in the mix next season. They basically have no chance at the playoffs with the teams already there and the emergence of teams like Memphis and Houston and even the Spurs who will definitely be there.

Which brings me to their best player and best asset. Markkanen who is 27 and is paid like a back up could swing the championship and such bring back a massive haul. The Jazz have to take advantage of this, get that haul, and tank for Flagg. They can become the team of the late 20s.

What can the Jazz get back ?

OKC
Kenrich Williams
2025 Heat 1st
2026 Philly 1st
2026 okc 1st

Memphis

Luke Kennard
Derrick Rose
2025 1st unp
2027 1st unp

Philly
2028 1st
2030 1st
Clippers 1st

Philly can get markkanen and try to fix Maxey another max guy like Paul George in to go for a super team

Orlando

Anthony Black
Jett Howard
Joe Ingles
2024 1st
2026 1st

For

Markkanen
Clarkson
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,630

Re: The Jazz gotta move Lauri 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:51 pm

Yeah if they can get packages like that then it might make sense…on the other hand it’s not easy to get a player as good as him through the draft.
These next two drafts are very good so getting some picks in those drafts along with a tank make some sense.
Sign here
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,809

Post#3 » by SkyHook » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:55 pm

Counterpoint, no they definitely don't "gotta".

If the Jazz are enticed to move Markannen, I expect that it won't be pick centric. A promising young player needs to be the key part of the package, likely from a team who feels that they're close to a title and don't have time for development.

And if the Jazz want to tank for the 2025 draft, all they need to do is play Keyonte George more minutes.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,941

Post#4 » by LarsV8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 pm

Green, Green, Landale, Tate, 2024 Nets, pick, 2026 Nets pick (top 10), 2027 Nets pick

for

Lauri, Sexton
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#5 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 pm

I don’t see them trading Lauri but I’d open the bag for him. 24 Pels 25 laker and 27 bucks.

He’s the second most complimentary big to KAT in the league to put next to Zion and he’s a better defender than KAT. I’d throw in a prospect or two to get Kessler too. BI might have to go somewhere else like Detroit or Philly but that would get you a few more picks too.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,499

Post#6 » by jowglenn » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 pm

Bennedict Mathurin & Jarace Walker for Lauri Markannen
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,410

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:34 pm

Our maximum return for Lauri is going to come after he is renegotiated and extended. His maximum earnings are going to come from being renegotiated and extended. If Lauri is traded, most likely it will be in the 2025 offseason.

RE: lottery position

San Antonio will likely be better than us with a more experienced Wemby
Memphis will be better than us as long as they are healthy

With no substantial improvements, adding more young players, and trading veteran depth we will be worse next year.

That said, if a team offers something really good you have to think about it.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 pm

LarsV8 wrote:Green, Green, Landale, Tate, 2024 Nets, pick, 2026 Nets pick (top 10), 2027 Nets pick

for

Lauri, Sexton

On behalf of the Jazz, I accept, especially if a third team sends a pick for Jalen Green or if Houston adds a pick to replace him in the deal.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,636

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:45 pm

with some of these offers, yeah you gotta trade Lauri..

But I think adding Murray or such without trading the high variance picks and making the play-in.. that’s a fine year burned while you watch Kessler/Hendricks/George/2024 first develop and lock Lauri up below a max for 4 years.. You stay active trying to trade for a true first option for a year or two, then can enter a depressing tank rebuild if you fail in doing so.

But if you can get a couple of those packages, go ahead..
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#10 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 pm

Philly is the most obvious team if they need to add another star to get Paul George to go to Philly.

If they trade for Markkanen, they can still afford George on a big (though not max) deal and go into next season with four stars that all fit together well.

This would assume that Paul George would only leave the Clippers to win a title and that the Thunder aren't willing to commit a 3rd and 4th year to Paul George (so a lot of assumptions that may not be accurate)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,158

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 pm

jowglenn wrote:Bennedict Mathurin & Jarace Walker for Lauri Markannen

Nah. So long as Siakam resigns, there should be no talk of Lauri to Indy, unless he just comes too cheap to ignore (which won’t happen).

But something around Mathurin/Nembhard/pick(s?) for a Mikal Bridges? That makes a ton of sense for Indy, with shifting Nesmith to the 2. Use McConnell to backup the 1, Sheppard to backup the 2/3, Walker to backup 3/4, and re sign Obi to backup 4/5? Assume that Jalen walks for a starting spot somewhere, but if he’d agree to sign and trade to Brooklyn here, that’d work, too.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#12 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:49 pm

I would assume we just do the exact same thing again (compete until the deadline, trade off Sexton, and then tank while faking injuries for Markkanen) next year before full tanking in the 2025 offseason unless Sexton breaks out and becomes a genuine star.

Outside of Philly and Detroit, it's not clear who will be breaking down the door for Markkanen and I kind of hate Detroit's assets.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 828

Post#13 » by Kiss of Death » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:Green, Green, Landale, Tate, 2024 Nets, pick, 2026 Nets pick (top 10), 2027 Nets pick

for

Lauri, Sexton

On behalf of the Jazz, I accept, especially if a third team sends a pick for Jalen Green or if Houston adds a pick to replace him in the deal.

I doubt Houston would offer Jalen Green.

A deal based around Landale/Tate and the Nets picks for Lauri probably works better for both teams. And Houston would actually offer it.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,489

Post#14 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:04 pm

Gotta agree with the OP. Keyonte George or whatever they have is not good enough to be the centerpiece of a rebuild. If the Jazz plan is to build through the draft they are not realistically contending for the next 3-4 seasons, probably more like the next 5-6 since they are unlikely to get a difference-maker this season and there's max 14% chance at Cooper Flagg in 2025. Chances are they don't reach the level they were with Mitchell and Gobert in the next decade, let alone contend.
Dthrill55
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#15 » by Dthrill55 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 pm

Kings should throw all the picks and swaps + filler for him.

Hes the perfect player for them
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:30 pm

Dthrill55 wrote:Kings should throw all the picks and swaps + filler for him.

Hes the perfect player for them

What are picks from a team with Fox, Lauri, and Sabonis going to do for us?

JColl
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,636

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:58 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Philly is the most obvious team if they need to add another star to get Paul George to go to Philly.

If they trade for Markkanen, they can still afford George on a big (though not max) deal and go into next season with four stars that all fit together well.

This would assume that Paul George would only leave the Clippers to win a title and that the Thunder aren't willing to commit a 3rd and 4th year to Paul George (so a lot of assumptions that may not be accurate)

I’m not expert on Philly cap situation, but I imagine their ideal offseason plays out by signing Paul George and then trading Reed+rookie+min contracts+picks for Lauri.

Philly trading up (bigger rookie contract) or back (multiple rookie contracts) seems really interesting on that note.

16 for 24+25 isn’t exciting/perfect but adds about a million dollars in potential matching. You could add a second or two to NYK or Philly (some say HW figured it out with that rule)

16+2026 OKC (worst of OKC/LAC/HOU) first for 11 does the same in a different way…

Trading out of the draft for a future first opens an extra 1.5-2 million cap space, but that is not much of a factor IMO. But could/would be a better asset / worse contract matching.

I think trading back is the best option given the decisions won’t be known on draft night. Keep all the future draft picks possible and add the matching contract potential.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 173

Post#18 » by louc1970 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:07 am

Saul Goodman wrote:I’m gona catch some hate I’m sure but hear me out. The Jazz just won’t be in the mix next season. They basically have no chance at the playoffs with the teams already there and the emergence of teams like Memphis and Houston and even the Spurs who will definitely be there.

Which brings me to their best player and best asset. Markkanen who is 27 and is paid like a back up could swing the championship and such bring back a massive haul. The Jazz have to take advantage of this, get that haul, and tank for Flagg. They can become the team of the late 20s.

What can the Jazz get back ?

OKC
Kenrich Williams
2025 Heat 1st
2026 Philly 1st
2026 okc 1st

Memphis

Luke Kennard
Derrick Rose
2025 1st unp
2027 1st unp

Philly
2028 1st
2030 1st
Clippers 1st

Philly can get markkanen and try to fix Maxey another max guy like Paul George in to go for a super team

Orlando

Anthony Black
Jett Howard
Joe Ingles
2024 1st
2026 1st

For

Markkanen
Clarkson

I don’t see any of these trades as being good enough. Utah is trading their best asset for picks that are so far in the future their rebuild will last another 5 or 6 years.
As someone said, young players would need to be returned.
OKC will need to include Giddey/Wallace and 2 or 3 picks.
Memphis with the pick this year would be good, but no players are coming back (with value).
Philly has nothing to offer.
The best deal is the Houston offer, but I would want Eason included rather than Landale or Jeff Green..
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,941

Post#19 » by LarsV8 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:10 am

louc1970 wrote:The best deal is the Houston offer, but I would want Eason included rather than Landale or Jeff Green..

No
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 531

Post#20 » by raleigh » Wed May 1, 2024 1:17 am

babyjax13 wrote:Our maximum return for Lauri is going to come after he is renegotiated and extended. His maximum earnings are going to come from being renegotiated and extended.

Yeah, that about wraps this discussion up.

Return to Trades and Transactions