Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,233

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#81 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:37 pm

mademan wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Dallas has been in contact with the Brooklyn Nets in attempts to bring two-way forward Dorian Finney-Smith back, sources said. A coveted wing on the trade block, the Mavs are willing to give up multiple draft assets for the veteran.

https://clutchpoints.com/sources-how-grizzlies-rockets-steven-adams-trade-impacts-2024-nba-trade-deadline

I think the Mavs currently have a single 1st to trade and some 2nd round picks. I wouldnt give up a lightly protected 1st 5 years down the line for DFS, but Mavs seem to love the dude.

I wouldn't either, but I do love the dude. And Dallas loves the dude, and probably most pertinently, Luka loves the dude.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#82 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:41 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Just for the record since we had the year old 2 1sts posted earlier, its worth noting all Dallas can trade is one first, and 2 2nds.

So if this report is true, that's the best the multiple draft assets can be. :(

you can technically do 26/28/30 if they give you back 29

Clever. They can't give up '26 without getting the Knicks to be willing to unprotect the '24-'25 though. Although their picks are encumbered, they can offer swaps as well. So maybe it's a '27 1st a a couple of swaps (or OMax).
Texas Chuck

Post#83 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:42 pm

Okay so even though the 2 firsts claim was already corrected, its still anchoring values. Amazing. Just amazing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,690

Post#84 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:48 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
mademan wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

I think the Mavs currently have a single 1st to trade and some 2nd round picks. I wouldnt give up a lightly protected 1st 5 years down the line for DFS, but Mavs seem to love the dude.

I wouldn't either, but I do love the dude. And Dallas loves the dude, and probably most pertinently, Luka loves the dude.

Thats a lot of love
mademan
RealGM

Post#85 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:49 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Just for the record since we had the year old 2 1sts posted earlier, its worth noting all Dallas can trade is one first, and 2 2nds.

So if this report is true, that's the best the multiple draft assets can be. :(

you can technically do 26/28/30 if they give you back 29

Clever. They can't give up '26 without getting the Knicks to be willing to unprotect the '24-'25 though. Although their picks are encumbered, they can offer swaps as well. So maybe it's a '27 1st a a couple of swaps (or OMax).

i think the 27 first roundr (which would have to be lightly protected) is itself too much value. Adding swaps on top is just wayy too greedy, cmon now
Texas Chuck

Post#86 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:49 pm

mademan wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
mademan wrote:

Thats a lot of love

Yeah, Ferrari Doe is awesome. But he really should end up in Denver so he and Jokic can discuss their love of horses.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,515

Post#87 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:23 pm

psman2 wrote:So the Lakers are rumored to be interest in Smart, no big surprise since they are interested in every name out there it seems.

What would the Lakers add to Russell to get Smart. I think Memphis would add Tillman and Konchar to the deal... they could be in their playoff rotation.

Something like Smart/Tillman/Konchar/2nds from Rockets deal for Russell/expiring filler/JHS/2028 1st with 10/8/4.

Memphis inserts Vince into our starting SF role next year and Russell is our backup PG and sixth man.

I don't think Smart has that much value now. He hasn't looked so good as a Grizz.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Texas Chuck

Post#88 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:26 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
psman2 wrote:So the Lakers are rumored to be interest in Smart, no big surprise since they are interested in every name out there it seems.

What would the Lakers add to Russell to get Smart. I think Memphis would add Tillman and Konchar to the deal... they could be in their playoff rotation.

Something like Smart/Tillman/Konchar/2nds from Rockets deal for Russell/expiring filler/JHS/2028 1st with 10/8/4.

Memphis inserts Vince into our starting SF role next year and Russell is our backup PG and sixth man.

I don't think Smart has that much value now. He hasn't looked so good as a Grizz.

Its not that much value....

And Smart is never going to look his best as a full-time PG tasked with creating too much offense as he has due to the injuries. But LA wouldn't ask him to do that. He'll be asked to defend, add toughness, and playoff experience, and knock down enough jumpers so teams guard him.

I think at that price its a no-brainer for LA.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,972

Post#89 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:32 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

I think Smart has enough of a track record that his value hasn't fallen that far. He was never expected to look great in the Ja role, but he has posted his highest TS% ever this season. He still posted a positive 5.5 plus/minus for us as well. Memphis was bad because we didn't have a engine to run the offense but Smart still looks like an good roll player to me when put in the right role.

So I don't think Memphis will let him go cheap since he still fits us long term. But if a good enough offer comes along I think we consider pivoting off him.
mademan
RealGM

Post#90 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:04 pm

If youre Brooklyn and Houston offers you all your picks back for Bridges, do you turn that down? Cause man, thats gotta be really tempting. Cause the position theyre in right now with a below average team, not a lot of young talent, no cap space and their 2nd best player being an UFA...if youre given the chance to turn it all around and rebuild with your picks and the Suns picks, you gotta do that, right?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#91 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:19 pm

mademan wrote:If youre Brooklyn and Houston offers you all your picks back for Bridges, do you turn that down? Cause man, thats gotta be really tempting. Cause the position theyre in right now with a below average team, not a lot of young talent, no cap space and their 2nd best player being an UFA...if youre given the chance to turn it all around and rebuild with your picks and the Suns picks, you gotta do that, right?

Nope. If the Nets trade Bridges, it will be for young players not picks. The only outstanding pick that right now might really hurt is the '25 pick swap. They're not going to try to tank for multiple years.

Barring some ridiculous offer, Bridges won't be dealt now. The Nets will wait until the offseason, look around the league and see who is extending, who isn't extending, who is disgruntled, and then make a decision.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#92 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:19 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Its not that much value....

And Smart is never going to look his best as a full-time PG tasked with creating too much offense as he has due to the injuries. But LA wouldn't ask him to do that. He'll be asked to defend, add toughness, and playoff experience, and knock down enough jumpers so teams guard him.

I think at that price its a no-brainer for LA.

This is what I see:

Tyus and DLo are a wash. DLo got the longer contract but DLo is a better player in the RS and playoffs.

Grizz gave Tyus, #25 and GSW pick that looked likely to be non-lotto when traded.

That was for Smart who looked a lot better than this current one.

DLo and an unprotected LAL29FRP is what I'd have Smarts value at right now. Maybe Lakers give a LAL26swap option at most on top. Or they tie in Utah to send Olynyk to Grizz while unprotecting the LAL27FRP.

JHS was valued at around pick 10 by Lakers. League wide mocks had him at around pick 13. He hasn't had any opportunity yet but that could be a bad thing so I do understand if other teams value that less but I don't see the Lakers valuing him less than the pick 17 they have for him. Putting him in deals is unrealistic unless the team receiving him also values him this highly.

I mean maybe he stinks and Lakers think he's a bust, that's the only reason they move him and then surely another team then thinks "well this is odd he must be close to worthless"
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#93 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:26 pm

mademan wrote:If youre Brooklyn and Houston offers you all your picks back for Bridges, do you turn that down? Cause man, thats gotta be really tempting. Cause the position theyre in right now with a below average team, not a lot of young talent, no cap space and their 2nd best player being an UFA...if youre given the chance to turn it all around and rebuild with your picks and the Suns picks, you gotta do that, right?

Nets went from bottom of the league to a top contender without their FRPs.

I would say that they are unlikely to value where FRPs take them..

Having Mikal, CamJ, Claxton and salary to spend on FA in '25 seems like a better plan.
mademan
RealGM

Post#94 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:34 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

Nope. If the Nets trade Bridges, it will be for young players not picks. The only outstanding pick that right now might really hurt is the '25 pick swap. They're not going to try to tank for multiple years.

Barring some ridiculous offer, Bridges won't be dealt now. The Nets will wait until the offseason, look around the league and see who is extending, who isn't extending, who is disgruntled, and then make a decision.

Theyre not trying to tank now and theyre bottom 10. I just dont see where the improvement comes from next year, and if thats a top 8 pick again...is Bridges really more valuable than 2 top 8 picks and another 1st rounder? Nets are probably gonna be around bottom 10 for 2 years straight with nothing to show for it hoping for a big play from FA, in a league where big name FA's are more and more incentivized to take the money and stay (and demand out later if they really wanna move).
mademan
RealGM

Post#95 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:35 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

Having Mikal, CamJ, Claxton and salary to spend on FA in '25 seems like a better plan.

They built a lower seeded team for a single season after giving the C's top picks for multiple year and got chosen by top flight FA's. Thats not exactly a repeatable path. Especially with the changes that incentivize the highest earning players not to leave in FA
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:39 pm

mademan wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

They built a lower seeded team for a single season after giving the C's top picks for multiple year and got chosen by top flight FA's. Thats not exactly a repeatable path. Especially with the changes that incentivize the highest earning players not to leave in FA

I think it is though, they are in Brooklyn. They have a good GM.
mademan
RealGM

Post#97 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:41 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
mademan wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

The Knicks spent years trying to convince guys to come to their team...no one took the bait. This stuff is hit and (far more likely) miss. Betting on guys to take less money to come to BRK is not a good plan
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#98 » by K_chile22 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:43 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

And three years later they're back to having none of their own picks while being bad. Almost like that method of team building is not very sustainable in addition to being hard to pull off and even harder with new extension rules making huge FA acquisitions more unlikely
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#99 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:07 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

And three years later they're back to having none of their own picks while being bad. Almost like that method of team building is not very sustainable in addition to being hard to pull off and even harder with new extension rules making huge FA acquisitions more unlikely

They have Mikal, CamJ, Clax, DFS, some of the most valued tradeable picks in the league. They gained a huge amount from their build.

If a team is contending then their picks are not as valued. So Nets having not their own but other teams picks is actually an advantage if they look to contend.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,459

Post#100 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:52 pm

mademan wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
mademan wrote:

The Knicks spent years trying to convince guys to come to their team...no one took the bait. This stuff is hit and (far more likely) miss. Betting on guys to take less money to come to BRK is not a good plan

But at the time the Knicks were run by idiots and their idiot owner was completely mettlesome and hands on in all the worst ways, while embarrassing himself off the court, sometimes against Knicks all time greats.

If they were run like they are now and Dolan was just being a normal owner, like he seems to be now, they may have had their own, much better clean sweep way before the Nets did and failed at theirs.

But I am with you, I’d probably take the picks back and organically rebuild with them and all the other picks, and any picks they could get from other players like DFS and Dinwiddie.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Trades and Transactions