Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,667

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#61 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:16 pm

Gonna just say, publishing that you could get 2 picks for someone and failing to mention that it requires a time machine feels like burying the lede.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,628

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#62 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:18 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
I like it a lot. I want both DFS and Claxton and I was trying to figure out how much I would be willing to give up for them and I think this would be my max offer because I don't know if we can afford resigning Claxton.

Yeah, I think if you’re adding a 18-25 million dollar Claxton.. You’re planning on letting Giddey go. Not many teams are able to hold three max deals and two 20+ mil deals.

But that decision doesn’t need to be made for until Chet/Jalen get their big contracts.. so enjoy a few playoff runs.

And Claxton should agree to an overpaid but declining deal. Which means maybe you are trading Claxton in 24 months, once OKC pays the ugly part of the contract, assuming Josh gets over the development slump.

I really love the deal for OKC and I don’t see anyone offering more value than that for Brooklyn.

That's not enough for both Claxton and DFS. The 2 worst of in a bad draft, and a pick from the most desirable star destination in the league for both? Nets will pass. They'd probably counter asking for Giddey and the best of in '24 instead of the two worst in '24, or Giddey and an extra '25 instead of the 2 '24s.

I think the original offer is better than this one.

Giddey is an extremely flawed player and I don’t want anything to do with him in the NY media market. He’s Ben Simmons plus an underage sex scandal but minus the defense and size.

OKCs best and 2nd best picks are currently slotted at #11 and #13 so the difference isn’t significant.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#63 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:22 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:That's a big ask for an expiring center and a solid role player. Not sure why the belief the Nets can demand so much. A return bigger than Siakam for that duo? Probably not, right? OKC would have just done that instead, you have to think.

OKC wasn't going to max Siakam. They're not going to have an unlimited payroll to pay Claxton and Giddey. I have my doubts that they'll pay up to keep Giddey given their guard depth. They're a small market team that historically stays on a small market budget.

I personally hate these multiple good players from and to the same team scenarios, because they're not typical. OKC is the exception, but most teams don't have the assets to meet the asking price on multiple good players. We speculate on it, and it ends up looking like teams are getting a discount for bundling.

The Nets have no interest in late '24 picks as has been reported multiple times. They don't view this draft highly, and they value the cap space over the cost of that guaranteed '24 rookie deal. Adding more late '24 picks does not move the needle (unless Atlanta wants them in exchange for Murray).

There's a middle ground between the original offer and the counter. That's how negotiations work. It could be Giddey, filler, the Utah '24 and Miami '25, but it's definitely more than the Miami '25, the 2 worst '24s and filler.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#64 » by jayjaysee » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:26 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Yeah, I think if you’re adding a 18-25 million dollar Claxton.. You’re planning on letting Giddey go. Not many teams are able to hold three max deals and two 20+ mil deals.

But that decision doesn’t need to be made for until Chet/Jalen get their big contracts.. so enjoy a few playoff runs.

And Claxton should agree to an overpaid but declining deal. Which means maybe you are trading Claxton in 24 months, once OKC pays the ugly part of the contract, assuming Josh gets over the development slump.

I really love the deal for OKC and I don’t see anyone offering more value than that for Brooklyn.

That's not enough for both Claxton and DFS. The 2 worst of in a bad draft, and a pick from the most desirable star destination in the league for both? Nets will pass. They'd probably counter asking for Giddey and the best of in '24 instead of the two worst in '24, or Giddey and an extra '25 instead of the 2 '24s.

Giddey is an extremely flawed player and I don’t want anything to do with him in the NY media market. He’s Ben Simmons plus an underage sex scandal but minus the defense and size.

OKCs best and 2nd best picks are currently slotted at #11 and #13 so the difference isn’t significant.

Yeah, if this isn’t good enough Brooklyn should really keep Claxton and flip him once he’s locked up if they can keep him and if he maintains value.

“1.5” firsts each feels like good value for the duo.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,591

Post#65 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:34 pm

The offer was already an overpay since I’ve been willing to splash the pot recently. Not seeing OKC going higher or Brooklyn getting a better offer.

The time to move Claxton was last summer if you wanted a return like that being mentioned here.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#66 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:36 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:That's not enough for both Claxton and DFS. The 2 worst of in a bad draft, and a pick from the most desirable star destination in the league for both? Nets will pass. They'd probably counter asking for Giddey and the best of in '24 instead of the two worst in '24, or Giddey and an extra '25 instead of the 2 '24s.

Yeah, if this isn’t good enough Brooklyn should really keep Claxton and flip him once he’s locked up if they can keep him and if he maintains value.

“1.5” firsts each feels like good value for the duo.

That's fine. What's the fair offer for just DFS? Poku+Mann and either the Utah '24 or Miami '25? Are you expecting the Nets, who are walking a tax threshold balance beam, to take on Bertans' $5.25mil dead money hit next year? That dead money factors into the equation.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#67 » by MadNESS » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:40 pm

So glad I don’t have to read Taylor Swift every time I click on this thread now
LAKESHOW
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,685

Post#68 » by jayjaysee » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:48 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:That's fine. What's the fair offer for just DFS? Poku+Mann and either the Utah '24 or Miami '25? Are you expecting the Nets, who are walking a tax threshold balance beam, to take on Bertans' $5.25mil dead money hit next year? That dead money factors into the equation.

are they really waking a tax threshold if they turn DFS’s 14.9 million into a rookie contract+5.25 million of dead salary? Feels like that swap saves them probably 5-7 million dollars. Seems important for walking on that beam.

And if it’s the Miami first, that’s even better cause the Nets can sign a true vet min instead of a slightly above rookie contract.

But yeah, OKC should do Poku/Mann/first for DFS.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,120

Post#69 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:55 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:OKC wasn't going to max Siakam. They're not going to have an unlimited payroll to pay Claxton and Giddey. I have my doubts that they'll pay up to keep Giddey given their guard depth. They're a small market team that historically stays on a small market budget.

I'm going to skip the negotiations part because we aren't doing that here. Starting high as if we are seems pointless to me, but whatever.

But this simply isn't accurate. They are 9th all time in tax paid. And when they had contending level teams they paid tax.

I can't predict the future as to their stomach for it moving forward, but based on history I would think it likely they will pay tax around the SGA/Williams/Chet core because it seems obvious that core justifies it.

And as I stated here a bunch, they could have rented Siakam and still been fine on assets. So even if I thought they were too scared to pay him, its still a better idea if it costs less than the Nets duo--who btw wouldn't be that much cheaper with Claxton's new deal and if they aren't paying him your ask gets even worse.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
SkyHook
Analyst
And1: 1,825

Post#70 » by SkyHook » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:09 pm

MadNESS wrote:So glad I don’t have to read Taylor Swift every time I click on this thread now

Yeah, but now we have to see EDDIE [expletive deleted] NAJERA every time.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,964

Post#71 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:27 pm

So the Lakers are rumored to be interest in Smart, no big surprise since they are interested in every name out there it seems.

What would the Lakers add to Russell to get Smart. I think Memphis would add Tillman and Konchar to the deal... they could be in their playoff rotation.

Something like Smart/Tillman/Konchar/2nds from Rockets deal for Russell/expiring filler/JHS/2028 1st with 10/8/4.

Memphis inserts Vince into our starting SF role next year and Russell is our backup PG and sixth man.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,150

Post#72 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Will be interesting to see what happens
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 979

Post#73 » by Waynearchetype » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:47 pm

Man if Jones doesn't get a first I have a hard time seeing Brogdon get a first.
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 238

Post#74 » by balsamic_ducks » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:19 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:Man if Jones doesn't get a first I have a hard time seeing Brogdon get a first.

Agreed. Also much easier to match money for Jones' contract
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#75 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:18 pm

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#76 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:26 pm

Dallas has been in contact with the Brooklyn Nets in attempts to bring two-way forward Dorian Finney-Smith back, sources said. A coveted wing on the trade block, the Mavs are willing to give up multiple draft assets for the veteran.

https://clutchpoints.com/sources-how-grizzlies-rockets-steven-adams-trade-impacts-2024-nba-trade-deadline
Texas Chuck

Post#77 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:31 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Dallas has been in contact with the Brooklyn Nets in attempts to bring two-way forward Dorian Finney-Smith back, sources said. A coveted wing on the trade block, the Mavs are willing to give up multiple draft assets for the veteran.

https://clutchpoints.com/sources-how-grizzlies-rockets-steven-adams-trade-impacts-2024-nba-trade-deadline

Just for the record since we had the year old 2 1sts posted earlier, its worth noting all Dallas can trade is one first, and 2 2nds.

So if this report is true, that's the best the multiple draft assets can be. :(
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,514

Post#78 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:32 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Just for the record since we had the year old 2 1sts posted earlier, its worth noting all Dallas can trade is one first, and 2 2nds.

you can technically do 26/28/30 if they give you back 29
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,607

Post#79 » by mademan » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:32 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

I think the Mavs currently have a single 1st to trade and some 2nd round picks. I wouldnt give up a lightly protected 1st 5 years down the line for DFS, but Mavs seem to love the dude.
Texas Chuck

Post#80 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:36 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

you can technically do 26/28/30 if they give you back 29

Not sure on 26 because of the Knicks, but you are right they could definitely do two 1sts so I do stand corrected, but none of us seriously think Dallas is going to do that regardless right?

Return to Trades and Transactions