Instant Reaction: What Do The Cavs Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,343

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Cavs Do This Off-Season? 

Post#41 » by Catchall » Sun May 19, 2024 5:00 am

1) Cavs should look at trading J'afro and Garland to see what they can bring back to improve their team and make Mitchell want to stay in Cleveland.
2) Failing that, trade Mitchell to the team that gives the best offer before Mitchell walks.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#42 » by NYG » Sun May 19, 2024 3:44 pm

toooskies wrote:
NYG wrote:If Cleveland ends up moving on from Mitchell and gets the Cam Johnson, DFS and picks offer from Brooklyn... what would they be looking for in return on a Jarrett Allen trade to pivot to a retool around Mobley/Garland?

From most of the offers I've seen, the Cavs would be better off playing Allen as their backup C for 20 mins a night than trading him.

But in that hypothetical scenario, they try to turn Allen into Murphy or Ingram with the some of the draft assets they got from Brooklyn. Then they try to turn Niang's salary into a legit backup big.

What's the value gap between Allen and Ingram?

Also besides NOP, who makes sense for Allen and what would Cavs want from them?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 939

Post#43 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 19, 2024 3:49 pm

NYG wrote:
toooskies wrote:
NYG wrote:If Cleveland ends up moving on from Mitchell and gets the Cam Johnson, DFS and picks offer from Brooklyn... what would they be looking for in return on a Jarrett Allen trade to pivot to a retool around Mobley/Garland?

From most of the offers I've seen, the Cavs would be better off playing Allen as their backup C for 20 mins a night than trading him.

But in that hypothetical scenario, they try to turn Allen into Murphy or Ingram with the some of the draft assets they got from Brooklyn. Then they try to turn Niang's salary into a legit backup big.

What's the value gap between Allen and Ingram?

Also besides NOP, who makes sense for Allen and what would Cavs want from them?

1. Allen is the much better player
2. Ingram's archetype is much more valuable
3. Ingram's contract is about to be horrible
4. Ingram seems extremely cancerous
5. Ingram is not at all durable

So I would say Allen is a lot more valuable, but we'll see.

I just don't know if a midrange gunner with average efficiency, below average defense, bad intangibles, and bad durability at a 30% max has much value.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,503

Post#44 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 pm

Yikes at calling a player cancerous. Especially a player with zero reputation as such. Why you do have to extreme everything dude?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 19, 2024 4:12 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Yikes at calling a player cancerous. Especially a player with zero reputation as such. Why you do have to extreme everything dude?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1c6ipw7/all_nba_podcast_mares_ive_heard_from_my_people_in/

"Mares: "I've heard from my people in New Orleans, that Brandon Ingram stormed out of the building pretty upset—Willie Green knew not bringing Ingram back in would cause a conflict, but Ingram has to be better in those moments, its a do or die game—" "

"

Tim Legler:

"You're one of the leaders like it or not— no matter what you can not show yourself like that. you sitting there refusing to stand up while every other member of the team is standing up during that rally."

"Disengaged during the huddle, hands on hips looking disinterested. Willie Green deserved better, Zion deserved better, the team deserved better. its a huge, huge pet peeve for me, no matter how ticked off you are you better keep that behind the curtain.""

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/will-the-pelicans-offer-brandon-ingram-an-extension/article_c978ada0-0ee3-11ef-9dee-3b4a37aa1c31.html

"Last week, reports at the local and national level surfaced that Ingram and Pelicans coach Willie Green had “an exchange” during Game 2 of the team’s first-round playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder."

"Ingram told Green that he “wanted the ball.” Ingram then told his coach “he wanted Green to help him get the ball.”"

Doing this stuff when you're putting up just horrible production in must win games is a joke.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#46 » by toooskies » Sun May 19, 2024 4:34 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Yikes at calling a player cancerous. Especially a player with zero reputation as such. Why you do have to extreme everything dude?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1c6ipw7/all_nba_podcast_mares_ive_heard_from_my_people_in/

"Mares: "I've heard from my people in New Orleans, that Brandon Ingram stormed out of the building pretty upset—Willie Green knew not bringing Ingram back in would cause a conflict, but Ingram has to be better in those moments, its a do or die game—" "

"

Tim Legler:

"You're one of the leaders like it or not— no matter what you can not show yourself like that. you sitting there refusing to stand up while every other member of the team is standing up during that rally."

"Disengaged during the huddle, hands on hips looking disinterested. Willie Green deserved better, Zion deserved better, the team deserved better. its a huge, huge pet peeve for me, no matter how ticked off you are you better keep that behind the curtain.""

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/will-the-pelicans-offer-brandon-ingram-an-extension/article_c978ada0-0ee3-11ef-9dee-3b4a37aa1c31.html

"Last week, reports at the local and national level surfaced that Ingram and Pelicans coach Willie Green had “an exchange” during Game 2 of the team’s first-round playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder."

"Ingram told Green that he “wanted the ball.” Ingram then told his coach “he wanted Green to help him get the ball.”"

Doing this stuff when you're putting up just horrible production in must win games is a joke.

What came first, Ingram obviously being the odd man out in NOP or him acting like this?
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,503

Post#47 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 4:41 pm

None of that sounds remotely cancerous. Again you are taking everything to an extreme. Players and coaches have disagreements all the time. And then you have gotten into an opinion, and multiple unsourced accounts of behavior that can be interpreted multiple ways. Like my team lost. I didn't help them. I'm a competitor, I'm pissed. Something we could interpret as positive rather than guy was laughing out the door on his way to the club.

We can value players without making up the worst possible narrative on every player(save Lauri and Kessler who get the very best).
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 19, 2024 4:58 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:None of that sounds remotely cancerous. Again you are taking everything to an extreme. Players and coaches have disagreements all the time. And then you have gotten into an opinion, and multiple unsourced accounts of behavior that can be interpreted multiple ways. Like my team lost. I didn't help them. I'm a competitor, I'm pissed. Something we could interpret as positive rather than guy was laughing out the door on his way to the club.

We can value players without making up the worst possible narrative on every player(save Lauri and Kessler who get the very best).

"Kessler struggled last year because he's afraid of getting fouled" is not really a super flattering narrative, lol.
NYG
RealGM

Post#49 » by NYG » Sun May 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Which teams make the most sense for Allen? What does Cleveland want from them in return?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,731

Post#50 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:37 pm

NYG wrote:Which teams make the most sense for Allen? What does Cleveland want from them in return?

I really think that if the Pelicans get too cute, OKC jumps in and moves Chet out to the 4. If Mobley could shoot like Chet right now, the Cavs wouldn't be trading him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#51 » by LarsV8 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:55 pm

NYG wrote:Which teams make the most sense for Allen? What does Cleveland want from them in return?

Houston can use Allen
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 182

Post#52 » by Astaluego » Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I really think that if the Pelicans get too cute, OKC jumps in and moves Chet out to the 4. If Mobley could shoot like Chet right now, the Cavs wouldn't be trading him.

Thunder will not move Chet to PF, I can't see it, he is an excellent rim protector, why would they move away from that? ..it also doesn't fit me to see them play with 2 big men, unless they completely change their style of play..un traditional big, it would bother SGA's game...
There is a common denominator in all their centers (Chet/Jaylin/K.Williams) they don't obstruct the lane and they can shoot and Allen is too good and expensive to be a situational center...
I I would like to see the Bulls (if they are still determined to compete) chase him using #11
Old Mike Lorenzo
NYG
RealGM

Post#53 » by NYG » Sun May 19, 2024 9:40 pm

Rui and Future Lakers 1st to Team X
Wing to Cleveland
Allen to the Lakers
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,731

Post#54 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 19, 2024 9:41 pm

Astaluego wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Thunder will not move Chet to PF, I can't see it, he is an excellent rim protector, why would they move away from that? ..it also doesn't fit me to see them play with 2 big men, unless they completely change their style of play..un traditional big, it would bother SGA's game...
There is a common denominator in all their centers (Chet/Jaylin/K.Williams) they don't obstruct the lane and they can shoot and Allen is too good and expensive to be a situational center...
I I would like to see the Bulls (if they are still determined to compete) chase him using #11

Players can still protect from the weak side, and having two rim protectors on the floor at the same time creates all kinds of problems for the opposing team.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#55 » by toooskies » Sun May 19, 2024 10:43 pm

Astaluego wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If I'm the Cavs I don't trade Allen for #11 or see a reasonable Chicago package.

There's no defensive issue playing two mobile rim protectors and it's necessary against good coaches in the playoffs to not have your rim protection get schemed away.

Clearing the lane can help drivers but having an elite rim runner doesn't ruin an offense and can be more effective against teams without elite big man defenders.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 182

Post#56 » by Astaluego » Sun May 19, 2024 11:05 pm

toooskies wrote:
Astaluego wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If I'm the Cavs I don't trade Allen for #11 or see a reasonable Chicago package.

There's no defensive issue playing two mobile rim protectors and it's necessary against good coaches in the playoffs to not have your rim protection get schemed away.

Clearing the lane can help drivers but having an elite rim runner doesn't ruin an offense and can be more effective against teams without elite big man defenders.
I don't disagree with your point...but THUNDER would have to completely change their style of play, 4 open shooters and tons of SGA drives to the basket...with that they were the 1 seed, leaders in % of 3 and runner-up MVP ...I think there's a reason why their centers are Chet/Jaylin and occasionally K.Williams, and I think it's the same reason they traded Sengun and Lively in the draft, they passed on Gafford at the deadline.. .they have no interest in centers that cannot space the floor,...maybe after being destroyed on the boards by the Mavs they change their mind, but I doubt that it will be something as drastic as Allen that will lead to a total change of system since as I said Allen is too good and expensive to be a situational center...just my opinion
Old Mike Lorenzo

Return to Trades and Transactions