Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 176

Re: Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5 

Post#41 » by schaffy » Thu May 16, 2024 2:00 pm

fanforlife wrote:I actually like this trade. Highly doubtful that the Pistons will get a better player than Kuzma in this year's draft given how weak it is. He would be coming home, adds consistent scoring which they sorely lack, and length at the wing. Perhaps the Wizards can be convinced to add their late first round pick, an early second round pick or a player to sweaten the deal. There has been speculation about the Pistons going after Brandon Ingram this off-season. I am not sure how much better Ingram really is that Kuzma. He is younger but the price to get him would be much higher assuming the Preds are even interested in trading him. I guess it will all depend on the moves the Pistons make before the draft, if any. They may need a center, for example.

This draft is weak as far as star level players. But theres plenty of guys who profile as at least nba level role players with the potential to be more (i.e. good starters). We already know what Kuzma is. I think every GM in the league would take a chance on the rookie contract who still has at least some potential breakout (even if its 1%) vs Kuzma.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,378

Post#42 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 16, 2024 2:05 pm

It’s better to whiff on a 5th pick than have Kuzma
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,130

Post#43 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 pm

Massive overpay. Kuzma has nowhere near this value no matter how bad a potential draft class is perceived/projected to be
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,923

Post#44 » by gswhoops » Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Wiz fan here. Would take more than Ivey to snag Deni from the Wiz.

Understand not trading #5 for Kuz - I wouldn't do it either if I were Detroit. But it seems to me they need some vet help. Adding another non-Lebron level 19 year old to a 15 win team isn't going to do much. With the impending max contract for Cade, seems like the Pistons should think about balancing win now with the long view. If not Kuz, then maybe they should trade for the best forward vet they can get if they're committed to Ivey. Or trade Ivey for the best vet they can get and keep #5.

I don't really see what forward they could get for #5 that would be a big enough improvement on, say, Demar Derozan (or Tobias Harris, or Miles Bridges, etc.) to warrant giving up their pick on top of cap space.

Return to Trades and Transactions