Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value.

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,613

Re: Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value. 

Post#41 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:06 am

Astaluego wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Add to my Mikal idea…

To Nets: Mobley + LeVert

To Pels: Garland + DFS

To Cavs: Mikal + Ingram + Herb + at least 1x 1st from Nets + at least 2x 1sts from Pels

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Cavs can actually cobble together a nice offer for a star when one hits the market.
The Nets "have" Claxton, what does Mobley do for them?

Claxton is a UFA. Nets don’t have anything. And right now Mobley is a PF. If they do secure Claxton, figure it out then.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 139

Post#42 » by Astaluego » Thu May 9, 2024 9:14 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Astaluego wrote:

To Cavs: Mikal + Ingram + Herb + at least 1x 1st from Nets + at least 2x 1sts from Pels

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Cavs can actually cobble together a nice offer for a star when one hits the market.

He is a better player.
I don't argue with that, but you are losing Mikal in this trade and DFS... creating a hole on the wing...at the end of the day a (much)worse team in my opinion...Mobley's value is mostly his defense and Claxton is excellent there too
Old Mike Lorenzo
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#43 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:18 am

Astaluego wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Astaluego wrote:The Nets "have" Claxton, what does Mobley do for them?

He is a better player.
I don't argue with that, but you are losing Mikal in this trade and DFS... creating a hole on the wing...at the end of the day a (much)worse team in my opinion...Mobley's value is mostly his defense and Claxton is excellent there too

You don’t NOT trade for player like Mobley for a free agent you don’t have. And even if you think Claxton will re-sign - S&T or see what they can do together. No brainer.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#44 » by Skybox » Thu May 9, 2024 11:25 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Astaluego wrote:

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Claxton is a UFA. Nets don’t have anything. And right now Mobley is a PF. If they do secure Claxton, figure it out then.

IF Mobley was a PF...we wouldn't be having this thread...Mobley's best work is when Allen is out.
Astaluego
Junior

Post#45 » by Astaluego » Thu May 9, 2024 11:38 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Astaluego wrote:

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

I don't know... putting together 2 big guys, very limited offensively (they don't shoot) hasn't worked very well, (ask the Cavs) especially at the expense of Bridges... that's without taking into account that the Nets also have Clowney/Sharpe. ..doesn't seem like good asset management
Old Mike Lorenzo
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,628

Post#46 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 9, 2024 12:34 pm

Astaluego wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

I don't know... putting together 2 big guys, very limited offensively (they don't shoot) hasn't worked very well, (ask the Cavs) especially at the expense of Bridges... that's without taking into account that the Nets also have Clowney/Sharpe. ..doesn't seem like good asset management

Letting a 25 year old starter walk away in free agency is the definition of poor asset management.

Even a sign and trade is questionable asset management.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,710

Post#47 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:50 pm

I haven’t watched enough Mobley to make an educated comment. He looks great on paper though and a high draft pick or a couple/ three mid picks seems right. I was not impressed with his performance on the big stage Tuesday though. I thought he would be more of a difference maker. Just one game though.
Sign here
Astaluego
Junior

Post#48 » by Astaluego » Thu May 9, 2024 1:07 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Astaluego wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Claxton is a UFA. Nets don’t have anything. And right now Mobley is a PF. If they do secure Claxton, figure it out then.

Letting a 25 year old starter walk away in free agency is the definition of poor asset management.

Even a sign and trade is questionable asset management.

I follow and support my compatriot J.Fernandez and she has talked about how important Claxton will be in her system and how she sees him as a future DPOY, I have no doubt that they are going to extend him,...that was my point, that Mobley makes no sense for the Nets...with the position filled and at best a marginal improvement
Old Mike Lorenzo
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,904

Post#49 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 9, 2024 2:07 pm

Untouchable. The end.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,451

Post#50 » by Billl » Thu May 9, 2024 2:24 pm

For a guy touted as having so much "potential", his development has been pretty underwhelming. He had a great rookie season, but hasn't taken any sort of leap. I'm sure there are a lot of believers still in front offices that would bet on him over anyone in this years draft, so he would likely fetch quite a haul. I think the cavs front office is among those that value him at that level though, so I can't see them moving him.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#51 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 9, 2024 2:29 pm

Some of these offers are terrible and downright offensive, specifically the Wizards and Grizz ones. Mobley has so much more value
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:38 pm

How about OKC (already mentioned?).

An offer starting with Giddey + Dieng + Picks. Dort could be on the table in a swap for LeVert.

Cavs could either keep the assets or parlay to a win now player of choice. Giddey could serve as Mitchell insurance until that is solved.

Mobley with Chet would be amazing for Presti.

Mobley or Chet
Chet or Mobley
Jalen
SGA

With the 5th starter being Dort or Wallace.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 891

Post#53 » by Niko23 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Niko23 wrote:I have been extremely disappointed with his progression on offense. Great defensive player, but he has not lived up to the expectations at this point and plays way too soft.

He's really young and really raw. Some of the basic things he's learning in the playoffs and on the fly. He still brings the ball down when he gets a pass around the rim. He's played next to Allen his entire career, then we traded for Mitchell, and now you're asking him to play out of the 5 against the the Magic and Celtics in the playoffs without Allen.

The plan was to stick him on Tatum and make Tatum defend while giving up size. The plan was not to have him try to post up Kornet against drop coverage.

Fair points, however basic things like taking the ball up strong, being able to consistently shoot a 15 footer, have any type of post up game, and genuinely being pretty soft are all elementary and fundamental skills he should have right now. This should have been a break out year for him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,580

Post#54 » by nate33 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:54 pm

Astaluego wrote:

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Isn't Claxton an unrestricted free agent?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,613

Post#55 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:That's just not something they're going to do. Like I think Mitchell could make extending contingent on doing so and they'd still say no.

So I get not letting a player dictate to you. But if option A is keep Mobley and Mitchell leaves and Option B is Mitchell signs a new 4 year deal and you trade Mobley for a really good veteran player, option B seems infinitely better.

I get that perspective, but option A is keep Mobley and whatever you get in return for Mitchell this summer.

I just think you need to step back and ask yourself how much control you want to give a star player over your franchise not just in the present,, but over the next few years, and weigh that against risks of being really bad for a long time. At a certain point, you're pot committed around one guy with few good options if it doesn't work out.

Star players only have one career and they don't stand up, take ownership of their choices, and pledge to stick around if their choices turn out to be poor. They ask out and leave a trail of wreckage behind them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,079

Post#56 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 9, 2024 4:18 pm

And star players bring you your only championship. I know you are completely against any player agency in their career, but Lebron James was a huge boon to the Cavs. And I'd argue the franchise treated him far worse than he left them Him coming back a second time was a huge act of generosity to a franchise that flamed him out the door.

But hey if the goal is to just keep good but not great players and be on the fringe of relevancy I too would always just keep players who will take the checks and ask no questions (Kevin Love) and avoid any great players who might hold us accountable.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,546

Post#57 » by codydaze » Thu May 9, 2024 4:24 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
Yea that really stood out to me, kinda stiff as a player and doesn't really play physically. I don't really see a path offensively. He can probably anchor a defense, but I don't see a future star.

Ironically, I was gonna say Sac is one team that should probably make a big offer for Mobley on the off chance that the Cavs do shop him. He'd look great for y'all as a 4 next to Domas/smallball 5.

I like him as a player, not saying he's bad at all. I'm just surprised by the thread responses. Lots of people seem to think he's worth #1+. I know last year people were debating Mobley vs Banchero, and we saw Banchero quickly pass him up. I'd take my chance at #1 even this year over Mobley.

Fantastic player. Just not an all-star, and not a guy I'm trading #1 + for.

If we jumped to #1 in this draft I would 100% trade it for Mobley. I've been a Mobley stan since pre-draft though and I think he's actually an even better fit now than he was during his draft. I think he's more capable, offensively, than what he's shown in Cleveland and I think in our system he would look better. Would drastically help our defense too.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,613

Post#58 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:32 pm

Niko23 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Niko23 wrote:I have been extremely disappointed with his progression on offense. Great defensive player, but he has not lived up to the expectations at this point and plays way too soft.

He's really young and really raw. Some of the basic things he's learning in the playoffs and on the fly. He still brings the ball down when he gets a pass around the rim. He's played next to Allen his entire career, then we traded for Mitchell, and now you're asking him to play out of the 5 against the the Magic and Celtics in the playoffs without Allen.

The plan was to stick him on Tatum and make Tatum defend while giving up size. The plan was not to have him try to post up Kornet against drop coverage.

Fair points, however basic things like taking the ball up strong, being able to consistently shoot a 15 footer, have any type of post up game, and genuinely being pretty soft are all elementary and fundamental skills he should have right now. This should have been a break out year for him.

He missed extended periods this season with injury and since trading for Mitchell we've definitely prioritized winning over running plays for Mobley and trying to develop him. To the extent we have tried to develop him, we've tried to develop him at the 4 (which I think is his more natural position). Altman knew he was really raw on the offensive side when he drafted him. Altman knows, or should know, big men take longer to develop. He's 22 not 26.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,964

Post#59 » by psman2 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:39 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Some of these offers are terrible and downright offensive, specifically the Wizards and Grizz ones. Mobley has so much more value

The Grizz fan offered this years lottery pick/kennard and control of our draft thru unprotected 1sts and swaps for 7 years. You have a weird definition of downright offensive.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 185

Post#60 » by louc1970 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:51 pm

Astaluego wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

He is a better player.

It simply swaps out Allen for Claxton but at Brooklyn.

Return to Trades and Transactions