Det Was swapping for fit

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Re: Det Was swapping for fit 

Post#21 » by eitanr » Thu May 16, 2024 5:36 pm

I think an Ivey/Kispert swap has more legs, with the Wiz being light.

Maybe Kispert and 26 for Ivey?
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 386

Post#22 » by Euphonetiks » Thu May 16, 2024 5:57 pm

tcheco wrote:I will agree with most people here. Deni, although not a star, he is locked in a cheap contract and showed a lot of improvements. That's the guy you keep around. But Detroit can easily have Kuzma for Ivey I guess

I do not like the DET trade, but something I don't get, why does WAS care so much that Deni 's on a cheap contract if they have no ability to compete during the length of that contract?

I guess I just don't really understand WAS. It is awesome to have a good player on a value contract, but you are wasting the 'value' if you don't have a competitive roster and are just using the saved money to pay Jordan Poole and Kyle Kuzma.

Considering how far away they are from contending, WAS should look to take advantage of Deni's value contract by moving him. But I also totally understand the WAS fans' possessive nature with him being their main bright spot and best asset.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#23 » by tcheco » Thu May 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
tcheco wrote:I will agree with most people here. Deni, although not a star, he is locked in a cheap contract and showed a lot of improvements. That's the guy you keep around. But Detroit can easily have Kuzma for Ivey I guess

I do not like the DET trade, but something I don't get, why does WAS care so much that Deni 's on a cheap contract if they have no ability to compete during the length of that contract?

I guess I just don't really understand WAS. It is awesome to have a good player on a value contract, but you are wasting the 'value' if you don't have a competitive roster and are just using the saved money to pay Jordan Poole and Kyle Kuzma.

Considering how far away they are from contending, WAS should look to take advantage of Deni's value contract by moving him. But I also totally understand the WAS fans' possessive nature with him being their main bright spot and best asset.

I think it's like drafting a rookie. He has upside(in Deni's case he showed he can improve, and already contribute to the team), he is locked in for cheap. The team is TOO far away from competing to make sense to trade him, they have no risk of losing him, they are not 1 trade away from competing, and Deni's value will peak in a year or two.

They need to start building the team somewhere, it will be with Bilal and Deni as the base.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,825

Post#24 » by penbeast0 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:22 pm

I would trade Avdija if it was enough draft capital; but not for a midrange to late choice or two with not terribly valuable players thrown in. Wiz are bad enough that I don't think anyone is off limits though Avdija and Coulibaly are the most valuable players to us and would cost a premium.

As for Ivey/Kispert, Kispert has a marketable NBA skill, he's a long range shooter with a career ts% north of .620. Last year he upped his usage to 19.6 while maintaining that .620 efficiency. Ivey has one more year of rookie contract and is more athletic, though listed at 3 inches shorter. He's shown flashes of playmaking but not consistently, his usage has been up around 25% at a very weak .532 career (.536 this past year) and generally is still potential without the consistent performance to back it up. I'd prefer Kispert, both in terms of current value to a contending team and in terms of potential value to a future team. While I can see still valuing Ivey's potential, I haven't seen the development I hoped for enough to value him higher than that nor would he fit with the similar type player in Jordan Poole who Washington is pretty stuck with given his contract.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Post#25 » by eitanr » Fri May 17, 2024 12:26 am

penbeast0 wrote:I would trade Avdija if it was enough draft capital; but not for a midrange to late choice or two with not terribly valuable players thrown in. Wiz are bad enough that I don't think anyone is off limits though Avdija and Coulibaly are the most valuable players to us and would cost a premium.

As for Ivey/Kispert, Kispert has a marketable NBA skill, he's a long range shooter with a career ts% north of .620. Last year he upped his usage to 19.6 while maintaining that .620 efficiency. Ivey has one more year of rookie contract and is more athletic, though listed at 3 inches shorter. He's shown flashes of playmaking but not consistently, his usage has been up around 25% at a very weak .532 career (.536 this past year) and generally is still potential without the consistent performance to back it up. I'd prefer Kispert, both in terms of current value to a contending team and in terms of potential value to a future team. While I can see still valuing Ivey's potential, I haven't seen the development I hoped for enough to value him higher than that nor would he fit with the similar type player in Jordan Poole who Washington is pretty stuck with given his contract.

Ivey has had his shooting increase towards the year and the Wiz seem ripe for a high usage young talent to take the reigns. It depends on who they take at 2 of course. If they like Topic, for example, no need to go after Ivey. But if Sarr falls or they land Cody Williams or one of the 3/4 Euro combo forwards coming out, he is an appealing flyer for a talent not as likely to be retained.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/

Return to Trades and Transactions