Instant Reaction: What Do The Cavs Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Cavs Do This Off-Season? 

Post#21 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 16, 2024 6:10 am

Get Mitchell to stay…

Trade 1::
To Wolves: Garland + LeVert

To Cavs: Towns + NAW

Trade 2::
To Pels: Allen + Strus

To Cavs: Ingram + Hawkins

Mobley or Towns
Towns or Mobley
Ingram
NAW | Hawkins | Okoro?
Mitchell
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,505

Post#22 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 am

It seems like they are signaling pretty hard: Mitchell is likely to stay, if he stays, Garland will be dealt (probably for a wing). Garland for Ingram makes a lot of sense both ways, but New Orleans would have to add. Could Garland for Paul George happen? I would say:

Semi-realistic while keeping Mitchell
Step 1: extend Mitchell
Step 2: trade Garland for Ingram + 2025 LAL 1st
Step 3: trade Allen to the highest bidder (Allen for Ingram is the best deal if they can get it but I don't really believe that New Orleans is interested)...Memphis? Vince Williams, Luke Kennard, Santi Aldama, 2025 MEM 1st, 2027 MEM 1st?
Step 4: look to aggregate the picks they have if a disgruntled star comes available
Step 5: draft a center (Kel'el Ware?)

Mobley/Ware/min.
Aldama/Wade/Niang
Ingram/Struss/Kennard
Williams/Okoro/Merrill
Mitchell/LeVert

This would be a team that is balanced around Mitchell and Ingram with guys who can score off-ball and move the ball + play defense. They have some picks to trade, too, to round out the team. I think it still could use one more guy, so hopefully between matching salary and two picks in 2025, one pick in 2027, one pick in 2031, plus a swap in 2030 they could make something happen.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
RichMac
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#23 » by RichMac » Thu May 16, 2024 7:17 am

[/quote]
Jerami Grant in Portland....[/quote]

He'd be a good fit but I don't think they'd take on that contract as likely a 4th 30+M contract.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,892

Post#24 » by mcfly1204 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:02 pm

I think you look to maximize Allen's value following, arguably, his best season as a pro. He has 2 years left on his deal, feels like now is the time to slide Mobley over to the 5, and look to get a big wing and/or stretch 4 in the starting lineup. I feel like the Garland/Mitchell situation either solves itself, or you look to run it back with both of them, thinking Garland can recoup value if he can stay healthy.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#25 » by Mr Loggins » Thu May 16, 2024 12:10 pm

cleveland shows Garland, shooters and a big can work.

If they can resign Mitchell, trading Garland and Allen - both of whom are elite and on good contracts - should fetch enough to build a contender
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#26 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:17 pm

Allen > Mobley, it's time to have that conversation.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,836

Post#27 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:29 pm

It’s a pretty solid team when Healthy. They are missing perimeter D and a legit wing. Lavert is good but better as a bench guy.
Extend Mitchell is clearly job 1.
I like the ideas of Garland for Ingram.
I think like others have said you explore option of trading one of Mobley or Allen. I was overall impressed with Mobley.
If they can extend Mitchell, hold out for a good return that gets a good player/s back. They don’t need picks as much as players.
Sign here
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#28 » by tidho » Thu May 16, 2024 1:57 pm

Offer Mitchell and extension. If/when he refuses move him immediately, preferably for a quality starter (that fits), a young player with upside, and a couple picks to replenish what CLE gave up to get him. If Mitchell returns, and they're convinced he's actually staying rather than being 6 months away from a trade request, you move Garland. The two shouldn't co-exist.

Modest extension for Okoro. Most of the rest of the roster is locked in for next year. Thompson and Jones can walk. I'd hold a spot to offer Morris an option return late in the offseason if nothing big came along.

I'd be shopping LeVert and Niang.

CLE desperately needs size. Big wings, and a viable 3rd big.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,964

Post#29 » by Jadoogar » Thu May 16, 2024 2:11 pm

LarsV8 wrote:Step one - Try to extend Mitchell.

Pretty much everything is on hold till they get that answer.

After that you pretty much know your direction.
He extends, try and trade Allen or Garland to fill the hole on the wing
He doesn't extend, trade Mitchell before the season start. You can't go into next season with Mitchell on an expiring contract.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#30 » by R-DAWG » Sat May 18, 2024 4:14 pm

RichMac wrote:

Jerami Grant in Portland....[/quote]

He'd be a good fit but I don't think they'd take on that contract as likely a 4th 30+M contract.[/quote]

I don't love the contract either, but I really like the fit and it's hard to get guys with that skill set.

If Mitchell resigns and Cleveland elects to move off the Mobley/Allen combo, they have two goals:
1) Maximize the window to win with Mitchell. He will be entering his age 28 season so the time to win with him is now.
2) Best position Evan Mobley to reach his full potential. In this case, having a 4 who can space the floor and guard multiple positions could be very helpful.

I do think Allen has more value than Grant, same with Garland having more value than Ingram. But if Cleveland's offseason consists of the following:
1) resigning Mitchell
2) turning Allen/Garland into Grant/Ingram
3) adding 1-2 additional FRP's to the mix

That's very very solid.

Mitchell/Strus/Ingram/Grant/Mobley. I like this lineup - playmaking and shot creation from Mitchell and Ingram. Shooting with Strus and Grant. Space for Mobley to operate.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#31 » by Smooth32 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:57 pm

In almost any scenario it seems like dealing with the Pelicans is an end game.

Question for me is: Can Garland return FVV + assets, or KAT? If so, it helps dictate who the Cavs would ask for in return with the Pelicans.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,977

Post#32 » by psman2 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:09 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Step 3: trade Allen to the highest bidder (Allen for Ingram is the best deal if they can get it but I don't really believe that New Orleans is interested)...Memphis? Vince Williams, Luke Kennard, Santi Aldama, 2025 MEM 1st, 2027 MEM 1st?

If that is anywhere close to the asking price for Allen then I have us promptly declining. I think we just go buy Capela on the cheap, trad centers just are not worth this type of asset outlay.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#33 » by toooskies » Sat May 18, 2024 5:36 pm

Smooth32 wrote:In almost any scenario it seems like dealing with the Pelicans is an end game.

Question for me is: Can Garland return FVV + assets, or KAT? If so, it helps dictate who the Cavs would ask for in return with the Pelicans.

Which is weird because of the whole David Griffin of the situation. Not sure if the sides would talk and deal even if they should.

The Cavs have a second issue too, which is that Mitchell and Mobley are the two individuals you'd prefer to keep long term, but they've also been the worst pairing of the core four in both seasons they've played. You need to have a good grasp on why that is if you move forward with that specific pairing.

I don't think Garland wants to be next to Ant any more than he wants to be next to Mitchell. I think Garland's agent wants him to be in San Antonio and feed Wemby all day. That's about the only scenario where he can both be on a future contender and also be the primary ballhandler.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,088

Post#34 » by mg » Sat May 18, 2024 5:54 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Allen > Mobley, it's time to have that conversation.

I agree that is the current case in a vacuum but the potential ceiling of Mobley is higher especially when you consider that Mobley is a more switchable player on defense and has potential to be a hub offensively. The Cavs have pretty much forgotten about Mobley's development after acquiring Donovan.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 247

Post#35 » by QMemphis » Sat May 18, 2024 6:07 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:To Griz: Allen + DFS

To Nets: Mitchell + Griz Filler

To Cavs: Johnson + Bane

Value to taste with picks. Cavs should get something from Nets.

I would not trade Bane for that return. I think we give something around Smart/#9 for Allen though.

And Cavs say no. Do you really think Bane has more value than Allen|DFS?

Bane will have more value than Mitchell once Mitchell signs his extension. Bane is the perfect backcourt mate for Ja and easily the best off ball player in this deal. Most I would trade for Heartless Allen is Kennard/Santi/25 1st.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#36 » by Wolveswin » Sat May 18, 2024 9:45 pm

QMemphis wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
psman2 wrote:
I would not trade Bane for that return. I think we give something around Smart/#9 for Allen though.

And Cavs say no. Do you really think Bane has more value than Allen|DFS?

Bane will have more value than Mitchell once Mitchell signs his extension.

lol no he won’t.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#37 » by NYG » Sun May 19, 2024 1:17 am

If Cleveland ends up moving on from Mitchell and gets the Cam Johnson, DFS and picks offer from Brooklyn... what would they be looking for in return on a Jarrett Allen trade to pivot to a retool around Mobley/Garland?
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#38 » by toooskies » Sun May 19, 2024 2:36 am

NYG wrote:If Cleveland ends up moving on from Mitchell and gets the Cam Johnson, DFS and picks offer from Brooklyn... what would they be looking for in return on a Jarrett Allen trade to pivot to a retool around Mobley/Garland?

From most of the offers I've seen, the Cavs would be better off playing Allen as their backup C for 20 mins a night than trading him.

But in that hypothetical scenario, they try to turn Allen into Murphy or Ingram with the some of the draft assets they got from Brooklyn. Then they try to turn Niang's salary into a legit backup big.
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 330

Post#39 » by JKiddy » Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 am

R-DAWG wrote:
axeman23 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Mitchell is almost certainly going to say no unless they can trade Garland and Mobley for star wings.

To which I would tell Mitchell to kick rocks... :lol: I'd certainly entertain trade proposals for DM, though!

If Mitchell does resign - Garland for mikal could make sense.

Garland would not get them Mikal. I do not think even if he was going to be traded they would do that. They would get much better offers.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#40 » by LarsV8 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:57 am

Smooth32 wrote:Question for me is: Can Garland return FVV + assets,

No, FVV is better than Garland.

Return to Trades and Transactions