Mavs/Blazers/(Warriors?)

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,696

Re: Mavs/Blazers/(Warriors?) 

Post#21 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 7:51 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Apz wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:THJ is negative value.

Depends who trades for him. Will be expiring

Expiring contracts haven't been valuable since the NBA limited contracts to max 5 years and 80% of NBA contracts are less than 3 years. An expiring is definitely not useful for the Blazers. They either want immediate salary relief to get under the tax or someone who can be flipped for a pick.

Even if we pretend that expirings mean nothing to Portland, which is kind of weird, the OP brings less 2024 salary to Portland than they send out. So shouldn’t have a “negative salary tax”

If you add in a couple of Portland’s vet min guys and a second or two (from Dallas or GS depending) and make it actually a 3 for 3 deal… the deal would save Portland a good amount of the salary they need to trim to get under the tax..
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 860

Post#22 » by tester551 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:So the Warrior part of this is easily removed. I have Kleber as negative trade value but Portland not caring to pay something to dump him on GSW. So if GSW doesn't want him simply remove them. But I thought they might so...

Deal happens after draft when 25 1st comes open for Dallas

Mavs trade: THJ/Kleber/Powell/25 1st (top 1 then 25 TOR 2nd)
Mavs get: Grant

Blazers trade: Grant
Blazers get: THJ/Looney/Powell/25 DAL 1st (top 1, then 25 TOR 2nd)

GSW trades: Looney
GSW gets: Kleber

So if the Warriors stay they would do this to get a more mobile, theoretical spacer to pair with their 2nd year center.

Blazers get a first for Grant and either only have the $4M of Powell after next year or potentially $15M of Powell/Kleber

Mavs go get another forward to pair with Washington and gives them that 3rd scorer they lack. They get super expensive if they retain Kyrie beyond next year, but that's tomorrow's problem.

What is Dallas' view of Green? Would a revision like this be palatable?

Grant + Reath + ATL '25 Second
for
Kleber + Green + OMax + '25
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,279

Post#23 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 11, 2024 10:11 pm

Myth wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:I don't see Portland wanting to fill its roster with veterans at the expense of the recent and upcoming draft picks. The Dallas pick being very lightly protected has some appeal, but route the players elsewhere to make it workable.

Oh, 100% Blazers need follow up after this as they would have 2 goals: They still need to reduce salary and as you mentioned, they’ll need roster spots for draft picks. This is where Dallas would need to be adding 2nds if Portland takes Kleber instead of Looney, because they will need to pay somebody in picks or something to take a bad contract off the books.

Playoff teams would gladly take maxi for free. He’s a very useful player.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#24 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 pm

random one game overreaction? Dallas wins by 8-10 tonight if Maxi plays. And loses the game if Maxi plays for OKC..
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#25 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 11, 2024 10:15 pm

jayjaysee wrote:random one game overreaction? Dallas wins by 8-10 tonight if Maxi plays. And loses the game if Maxi plays for OKC..

Probably a lot more the 8-10. What is 5 minutes of Dallas actually getting to run their offense worth on the score board?

They wouldn’t play hack a maxi.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#26 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 11, 2024 10:22 pm

Trade is good for Dallas and I’d do it. Keeping DJJ would still be a goal but this upgrades THJ’s role and hedges against DJJ leaving
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#27 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 10:26 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:random one game overreaction? Dallas wins by 8-10 tonight if Maxi plays. And loses the game if Maxi plays for OKC..

Probably a lot more the 8-10. What is 5 minutes of Dallas actually getting to run their offense worth on the score board?

Yeah, Lively did alright once it started. But exactly.

And if Maxi was in OKC, PJ would’ve gone cold earlier.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#28 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
Apz wrote:
Depends who trades for him. Will be expiring

Expiring contracts haven't been valuable since the NBA limited contracts to max 5 years and 80% of NBA contracts are less than 3 years. An expiring is definitely not useful for the Blazers. They either want immediate salary relief to get under the tax or someone who can be flipped for a pick.

Even if we pretend that expirings mean nothing to Portland, which is kind of weird, the OP brings less 2024 salary to Portland than they send out. So shouldn’t have a “negative salary tax”

If you add in a couple of Portland’s vet min guys and a second or two (from Dallas or GS depending) and make it actually a 3 for 3 deal… the deal would save Portland a good amount of the salary they need to trim to get under the tax..

The thing is I don't think Portland would have any trouble getting under the tax. They don't have to randomly gift value to other teams.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#29 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 11, 2024 10:40 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Yeah, Lively did alright once it started. But exactly.

And if Maxi was in OKC, PJ would’ve gone cold earlier.

Yeah by your 3rd time in a row on the line it because practice at that point. We keep hearing about Lively’s hypothetical 3 pointer but honestly if he puts on 10 pounds of muscle to improve his finishing and brings he’s ft percentage up 10% that would make a major difference.

And fans of bad teams often forget that players have value even if they’re not a developmental piece. To be fair they mostly just don’t want their team to be responsible for the flip, but that happens all the time.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#30 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 11, 2024 10:41 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Expiring contracts haven't been valuable since the NBA limited contracts to max 5 years and 80% of NBA contracts are less than 3 years. An expiring is definitely not useful for the Blazers. They either want immediate salary relief to get under the tax or someone who can be flipped for a pick.

The thing is I don't think Portland would have any trouble getting under the tax. They don't have to randomly gift value to other teams.

They’re getting a first for the player though in the OP? That’s what Grant is worth..

They don’t get any value at all for saving 6 million next year and 100ish million in future years.

I don’t really know what you’re responding to though? You said THJ is a negative. I just responded that they don’t get to ask for value for THJ due to his contract. They’re saving a lot of money and getting paid for the player..
timani
Senior
And1: 67

Post#31 » by timani » Sun May 12, 2024 7:56 am

Texas Chuck wrote:So the Warrior part of this is easily removed. I have Kleber as negative trade value but Portland not caring to pay something to dump him on GSW. So if GSW doesn't want him simply remove them. But I thought they might so...

So if the Warriors stay they would do this to get a more mobile, theoretical spacer to pair with their 2nd year center.

Blazers get a first for Grant and either only have the $4M of Powell after next year or potentially $15M of Powell/Kleber

Mavs go get another forward to pair with Washington and gives them that 3rd scorer they lack. They get super expensive if they retain Kyrie beyond next year, but that's tomorrow's problem.

At the risk of sounding boring, I have no interest in this trade.

With PJ Washington already on board I don't see paying this cost. Without PJ Washington, I'm very interested in this deal.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 149

Post#32 » by Astaluego » Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 am

timani wrote:

At the risk of sounding boring, I have no interest in this trade.

With PJ Washington already on board I don't see paying this cost. Without PJ Washington, I'm very interested in this deal.

Grant starts at 3 in DJJ's place... I like it, because it puts us on par in size with the division's bogeymen who are very big, who have wings like MPJ or the Wolves with McDaniels and that huge front court of the Wolves
Old Mike Lorenzo
Darren
RealGM
And1: 835

Post#33 » by Darren » Sun May 12, 2024 12:07 pm

I think Grant and Washington play similar role. Grant has been playing 4/5 almost entire career. Now that Grant's over 30, I am not sure I am all in without a PJ trade. Washington is balking right now. I'd wait and see if Washington can get consistency and show big smart and gut on big stage.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 835

Post#34 » by Darren » Sun May 12, 2024 12:09 pm

At 6-7, Grant could become too small when the quick deets are slowing down.

Return to Trades and Transactions