Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1861 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:22 pm

K_chile22 wrote:3+Bari for Lauri get any traction? What more needs to get added to that

Bari > Lauri in value.
DNP-Old
Pro Prospect
And1: 332

Re: Thoughts in General, Random Rumors and Musings, Blah Blah 14.0 Eddie Najera Edicion 

Post#1862 » by DNP-Old » Thu May 16, 2024 4:37 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Allen worth way more than Rui. Lakers owe meaningful value.

Thank you. What is meaningful value (unprotected 1st, lightly protected...etc.)?
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,503

Post#1863 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 4:39 pm

DNP-Old wrote:

Thank you. What is meaningful value (unprotected 1st, lightly protected...etc.)?

Tough to say because Cleveland should have no interest in the swap at all even with incentive. So not only does LA need to come up with more value, they would need to wash Rui into something useful for Cleveland.

But just in terms of value, Rui is maybe neutral? Allen should return a solid asset still. So yeah some sort of very lightly protected first is about right I'd say. Maybe unprotected if Cleveland has to wait 5+ years to get it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 872

Post#1864 » by tester551 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:41 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

Tough to say because Cleveland should have no interest in the swap at all even with incentive. So not only does LA need to come up with more value, they would need to wash Rui into something useful for Cleveland.

But just in terms of value, Rui is maybe neutral? Allen should return a solid asset still. So yeah some sort of very lightly protected first is about right I'd say. Maybe unprotected if Cleveland has to wait 5+ years to get it.

I would personally put it closer to 2 firsts.

Maybe 1 first with 2 pick swaps.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,938

Post#1865 » by giberish » Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
eminence wrote:
If they're prioritizing savings I think they can just let CP3 go and be well under the tax. Bring back Klay (or someone else) at MLE level.

Dont see Klay singing the MLE. Also, aren't the Warriors a TAx team regardless?

no they are at 144M or so w/o Klay and Paul w/ 10 spots accounted for. Ie they have about 28M left to fill 4-5 spots

Also, while being out of the tax would be nice, the main requirement would be staying under the 1st apron (if they use the full MLE they'll be hard-capped there). After recent luxury tax payments being just a few $M over would feel like nothing. That adds several $M more to work with.
SkyHook
Analyst
And1: 1,855

Post#1866 » by SkyHook » Thu May 16, 2024 5:11 pm

LarsV8 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:3+Bari for Lauri get any traction? What more needs to get added to that

Bari > Lauri in value.

Aaaaaaaaaand we've jumped the shark.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless.
But I still cling to hope and I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me.

— Faithless by Rush (lyrics. Neil Peart)
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,421

Post#1867 » by Colbinii » Thu May 16, 2024 5:30 pm

SkyHook wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:

Bari > Lauri in value.

Aaaaaaaaaand we've jumped the shark.

I wouldn't trade Jabari Smith Jr for Lauri. Maybe I am in the minority, but Jabari Smith Jr still has an incredibly high ceiling---the same ceiling he has had since he was drafted.

He is also cost controlled forever and is producing at a young age. I don't consider age in a vacuum value, but I do consider age combined with production valueable.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 939

Post#1868 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 16, 2024 5:51 pm

Does Jabari Smith Jr have any offball scoring upside.

He took like... 1.5 shots per game off cuts and off screens and he was... fine?

Lauri's entire appeal is that he's dominant at cutting and coming off screens...

Jabari's path to stardom was him becoming 6'10" Klay, but he hasn't really shown much other than spotup shooting and defense.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,969

Post#1869 » by K_chile22 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:03 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Does Jabari Smith Jr have any offball scoring upside.

Lauri's entire appeal is that he's dominant at cutting and coming off screens...

Jabari's path to stardom was him becoming 6'10" Klay, but he hasn't really shown much other than spotup shooting and defense.
Well yes teams are not going to trade Lauri for Lauri.. they do have different games
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1870 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 16, 2024 6:20 pm

K_chile22 wrote:

Well yes teams are not going to trade Lauri for Lauri.. they do have different games

Does Smith have on-ball juice? I don't think so...

I just... I don't see where the star potential comes from. He spots up and rebounds and plays good though not transformative defense.

The idea that Jabari Smith Jr can become a top 25 player in the NBA...How?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,421

Post#1871 » by Colbinii » Thu May 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Jabari's path to being a high-impact player is nothing like Klay.

Klay is an off-ball cutter and shooter who has a quick release on an incredible efficiency while defensively he was able to chase guards around [essentially a POA defender at his size was remarkable].

Jabari is an excellent rebounder for a wing and is extremely versatile defensively. He Showed an ability to create some inside the 3P line and initiate contact.

But yeah, I would never trade a 6' 10" Klay Thompson who can rebound and is a better defender for Lauri. Like that's a top 10 player [which is why that comparison is baffling].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1872 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 16, 2024 6:40 pm

Colbinii wrote:

Klay is an off-ball cutter and shooter who has a quick release on an incredible efficiency while defensively he was able to chase guards around [essentially a POA defender at his size was remarkable].

Jabari is an excellent rebounder for a wing and is extremely versatile defensively. He Showed an ability to create some inside the 3P line and initiate contact.

But yeah, I would never trade a 6' 10" Klay Thompson who can rebound and is a better defender for Lauri. Like that's a top 10 player [which is why that comparison is baffling].

Okay so I don't see any way for Jabari Smith Jr to provide game changing offensive or defensive value at all.

-No juice with the ball
-No juice moving without the ball
-No shot blocking

He rebounds, plays good defense, and is OK at shooting spot-up threes. That's a top 15 PF in the NBA and I have no idea what his path to being much better is.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,969

Post#1873 » by K_chile22 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Okay so I don't see any way for Jabari Smith Jr to provide game changing offensive or defensive value at all.

-No juice with the ball
-No shot blocking

He rebounds, plays good defense, and is OK at shooting spot-up threes. That's a top 15 PF in the NBA and I have no idea what his path to being much better is.

Yup he does all that... at 20 years old. Not a huge Jabari guy but he's extremely young to be a productive winning player
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#1874 » by NYG » Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

I actually kind of like the Lakers as an Allen destination, but yeah making that worth for Cleveland is a bit tougher.... maybe a Reaves for Allen based concept? Is Reaves a fit with whichever PG Cleveland keeps?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#1875 » by Devilanche » Fri May 17, 2024 2:12 am

Would Jabari still be on the path to be 6’10” Klay ?

He’s valuable for sure but probably top out as top 5 PF or SF whichever position he will be playing in future.

Just don’t see the self creation upside or a 3 point shooting percentage so much better than the rest .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,506

Post#1876 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:22 am

K_chile22 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

-No juice with the ball
-No shot blocking

Yup he does all that... at 20 years old. Not a huge Jabari guy but he's extremely young to be a productive winning player

I really like Jabari. I don't think he quite has the value on the open market Lauri does, but I would understand if Houston would prefer to bring their young guys along and keep him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,506

Post#1877 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:24 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I really want to do a Capela/Griffin/#1 for Markannen/Kessler thread with a Murray for Jones/Nance/#21 follow up, but I'll just get crotched kicked by a minimum of two franchises so getting it out of my system here.

But I like a Hawks team that is:

Kessler/OO/Nance
Markannen/Hunter/Nance
Johnson/Hunter
Jones/Bogdan/Bufkin
Trae/vet PG/rookie PG (I like Devin Carter for them)

Nice core all in their primes. Obviously you have to have talked to Lauri and have his buy in on re-signing.

Utah sells high on two sacred cows. Pels get the more dynamic guard they need and it frees up a CJ deal that clears up payroll for a center.

New Orleans' offer for Murray, IMO, should be pretty simple, either:
Ingram for Murray (add value either way)
or
2025 LAL 1st + one more pick + McCollum w/CJ hopefully to a 3rd team (depending on if Atlanta is rebuilding or retooling)

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1878 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 17, 2024 12:42 pm

Would reallllllllly suggest the trade board guys who are like "Sheeple have simply bought into the idea that this is a weak draft!!!" to actually watch these prospects play.

I've watched a lot and it's been incredibly depressing.

Like, here's every offensive play that ended in a statistic from the #1 pick.

At least watch this before defending this class.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,503

Post#1879 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 17, 2024 12:47 pm

I'm convinced now.

One youtube video showing one limited portion of one prospect's game.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#1880 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 17, 2024 12:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm convinced now.

One youtube video showing one limited portion of one prospect's game.

How much footage have you watched of these prospects.

Because I'm near 100 hours and it's been very bleak.

This is just condensed raw footage of his entire offensive season so it's a good place to start.

Return to Trades and Transactions