Hou / NOP / Cle / Atl

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 376

Re: Hou / NOP / Cle / Atl 

Post#21 » by Xman » Mon May 20, 2024 4:50 pm

I had my doubts about Sengun. Short arms will always be an issue.
But, his work ethic is getting results.
Stronger and better d. Rumor is that he is boxing to build quickness and get used to taking shots.
So, think we have to see who he becomes.
No better options anyway.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,461

Post#22 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon May 20, 2024 5:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
I'm ambivalent about this trade, mostly because I'm skeptical that ingram will agree to a reasonable extension, but if Amen never develops a shot, he's probably not someone you want to build around regardless of whether Allen is there.

Probably, but there are rare scenarios where I can imagine Amen having some sort of Jimmy Buttler type impact - Jimmy had 3 straight seasons of sub-25% 3PT shooting (on just 0.5 3PM) per game from 30-32 where he led the Heat to successful seasons as their best player.

Now Jimmy didn't win them a ring, he has a great mid-range shot, he shoots better 3PT percentages in the playoffs, and of course, Amen will be his own player, Amen will have to improve his jump shot to even get to 25% area, but just as a rough example of when the IQ, defense, passing, and interior scoring are SO good that a perimeter player still had success as a key player without a 3ball in the modern NBA.

In those best-case scenarios without him developing a significantly better jumper, Houston would (offensively) need to have someone like Sengun who has at least a good mid-range jumper and potential for a reliable 3PT shot over a zero-range C. Ideally you have a Brook Lopez or Towns type, but again I think we're definitely too early in development to know what we will need, so I would continue to stick with these young guys until it becomes clearer.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,152

Post#23 » by axeman23 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:50 am

jbk1234 wrote:
tidho wrote:
axeman23 wrote:So Cleveland gets another flight-risk to go with Mitchell, moving Allen who wants to be there in the process? YAY!!! :sigh:

Not a huge fan of moving Allen, but this is reasonably good value. Would have to assume there would be extension talks as part of any of the (multitude of) Ingram deals. A bigger issue might be that CLE is getting even smaller. Better be accompanying this deal with one of the small guards being moved for a legitimate impact big. Not sure who that could even be. This leaves them with literally one big on their roster (and a stretch 4 in Wade) next year.

It's reasonably good value if Ingram extends for less than the max, but Ingram has a lot more control over how easy it is to trade him for value than this place is acknowledging.

And if Ingram signs for the max as expected, all the upside of the deal is replaced with neutral or downside, dependant largely on health, but also i don't consider him a max/near-max player.

Return to Trades and Transactions