ORL - CHI

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,312

ORL - CHI 

Post#1 » by NotACat » Sat May 18, 2024 4:25 pm

I'm obsessed with getting Lonzo to Orlando because I think he's the perfect fit for the roster if he can return to form. It's a big if and he's getting paid a lot of money, but I think it could be a good swing. Chicago is also looking to upgrade their team and I think this trade would help both parties well since Chicago would end up with a $20M TPE since Orlando has enough cap space to simply absorb his contract.

Lonzo + #11

for

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,591

Re: ORL - CHI 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 18, 2024 4:29 pm

i have chicago saying no here. if they want to upgrade the team they are better off using 11 and lonzo and matching directly. There are not that many teams out there looking to dump salary where the TPE would be valued more.

Maybe if you add in DEN 2025 1st?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,103

Post#3 » by Chi town » Sat May 18, 2024 4:54 pm

WTH?

Why for my Bulls? His contract is insured. A 16M gift to our cheap owner.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,979

Post#4 » by psman2 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:03 pm

If Lonzo contract is being paid by insurance then there is no reason to do this really. The Bulls will get a DPE already, smaller sure but not worth paying for the bigger TPE. If his contract is not paid by insurance then it becomes at least a decision for the Bulls, do they think Lonzo has a good chance at playing this year and make their decision around that info. But I think at the end of the day trading 11 with Lonzo as expiring filler is going to net the Bulls a better player than a TPE and 18 would if their goal is to try to win year. And betting on Lonzo coming back and keeping 11 has the highest upside, Chicago has to get really lucky to do anything next year....why not continue to roll the dice.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#5 » by AaronB » Sat May 18, 2024 5:04 pm

I don't think the Bulls want to trade with the Magic soon. Last one was an unmitigated disaster.

With the Bulls luck Lonzo and #11 become allstars.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,434

Post#6 » by pipfan » Sat May 18, 2024 5:41 pm

If they add the '25 Denver pick in, awesome. Bulls want to free up cap space to resign DDR, Drummond and PWill. Plus the TPE-sign me up
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,161

Post#7 » by Residual-Heat » Sat May 18, 2024 6:16 pm

I like Lonzo too, and believe he'd be a great fit and im sure the FO would love him, but Lonzo hasnt played basketball in over 2 years. Even if he's healthy to start the season, dont expect him to play like he used to pre-injury. Expect him to play limited minutes, and take months to get his conditioning and confidence back. There's also the possibility that he's never going to be the same as he was pre-injury. The Magic need immediate help and Ball isnt the answer.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#8 » by Skybox » Sat May 18, 2024 6:25 pm

anyone have any rehab updates?

I haven't heard anything promising...it seemed more mysterious and unclear, not a clear repair and rehab. Sorry for the guy, but too much of that stuff on ORL's ledger already. Grant Hill, Isaac, Fultz...can't do it.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,312

Post#9 » by NotACat » Sat May 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:I like Lonzo too, and believe he'd be a great fit and im sure the FO would love him, but Lonzo hasnt played basketball in over 2 years. Even if he's healthy to start the season, dont expect him to play like he used to pre-injury. Expect him to play limited minutes, and take months to get his conditioning and confidence back. There's also the possibility that he's never going to be the same as he was pre-injury. The Magic need immediate help and Ball isnt the answer.

We would still have plenty of cap space and the #11 pick to leverage for another piece. Lonzo does not have to be the only move our FO makes this offseason.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,161

Post#10 » by Residual-Heat » Sat May 18, 2024 6:49 pm

NotACat wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:I like Lonzo too, and believe he'd be a great fit and im sure the FO would love him, but Lonzo hasnt played basketball in over 2 years. Even if he's healthy to start the season, dont expect him to play like he used to pre-injury. Expect him to play limited minutes, and take months to get his conditioning and confidence back. There's also the possibility that he's never going to be the same as he was pre-injury. The Magic need immediate help and Ball isnt the answer.

We would still have plenty of cap space and the #11 pick to leverage for another piece. Lonzo does not have to be the only move our FO makes this offseason.

We wouldnt really have that much capspace left once you add Lonzo, 11th and 18th pick. If the plan is to get a starting guard through trade then we should just do that, no need for Lonzo.

I also dont really like this trade for Chicago. I dont think they want to dump Lonzo at a cost, it wouldnt benefit them.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,946

Post#11 » by ChettheJet » Sat May 18, 2024 8:44 pm

I don't see the Bulls being that interested in the cap space for the one year. They admitted another play in and out won't cut it. There no way they keep Lavine and DeRozan, they were the biggest part of the couldn't cut it team. If either or both return it's a complete off season failure.

Looking at mock drafts, there's no real difference between the projections at #11 and #18, the same guys move around in that range so there's hardly a gift for ORL.

Here's the main thing, IF Lonzo can play, as the OP is dreaming of, the Bulls have the biggest incentive to keep him. He would what they are missing at PG allowing Coby White to be the SG and they move Lavine and don't need a SG in return. The if Lonzo does well, they can resign him. Who they could get with that $20m is hit or miss if he can get the ball away from Lavine and DeRozan.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,076

Post#12 » by Ducklett » Sat May 18, 2024 10:33 pm

pipfan wrote:If they add the '25 Denver pick in, awesome. Bulls want to free up cap space to resign DDR, Drummond and PWill. Plus the TPE-sign me up

I am willing to admit that I am crazy but I think the 25 Denver pick has more value than 11. I think this draft is that weak.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,851

Post#13 » by PlayerUp » Sun May 19, 2024 3:58 am

Skybox wrote:anyone have any rehab updates?

I haven't heard anything promising...it seemed more mysterious and unclear, not a clear repair and rehab. Sorry for the guy, but too much of that stuff on ORL's ledger already. Grant Hill, Isaac, Fultz...can't do it.

Assuming he has no more unexpected injuries or setbacks, he should be ready to play in 2024-25.

He's dunking and sprinting again.

However this is the NBA and it takes time to build yourself up so it's unclear when he'll be fully ready to play at a high level again.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,851

Post#14 » by PlayerUp » Sun May 19, 2024 4:33 am

Bulls wouldn't do this.

He's an expiring contract. Initially I thought they'd use the stretch provision on him but now indications from Bulls front office seems to indicate they intend to ship Lavine since Coby has emerged and bring everyone else back.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#15 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 12:31 pm

PlayerUp wrote:Bulls wouldn't do this.

He's an expiring contract. Initially I thought they'd use the stretch provision on him but now indications from Bulls front office seems to indicate they intend to ship Lavine since Coby has emerged and bring everyone else back.

I mean, going back to your update…if he can play, he’s the player the Bulls would want. So the only trade would be a contract/money dump of some kind…which is unlikely as he’s expiring anyway.

Return to Trades and Transactions