Lakers/Jazz

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,757

Re: Lakers/Jazz 

Post#21 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 18, 2024 1:46 pm

nzahir wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
DowJones wrote:I have to imagine Utah just keeps Lauri. Maybe they trade him if a guy like Garland becomes available, but this deal doesn’t seem close to enough to get Utah to make a move.

Not even close. Lakers don’t have the ammo to get him. I imagine he stays with the Jazz.

We have 3 1sts, 3 swaps, Reaves, JHS, Christie, and Rui.....

So yes we have enough assets

The question is what is worth giving up

The fit is probably too clunky with Bron and AD on the defensive end

Offense would be great actually since he can space the floor and he scores mostly off ball and off created buckets

I feel like if we get another big its a stretch big that can play alongside AD and help the defense. Unless Lauri is that guy and I am just unaware (I dont watch enough Utah or haven''t dug into his defense when it comes to rim protection and perimeter defense)

I do know Utah was playing him more at the 5, and if thats the case it would require AD to probably lean out a bit and play the roamer again on defense (which he is/was better at anyways)

I love when Lakers fans say they have 3 1sts, you only have two and a player you will select this year at 17. You have 2 picks, 3 swaps, and a really meh prospect along with old prospects aka dudes who didn’t live up to their draft position. You may see the value in those players as they are integral pieces to your team but the Jazz don’t see the same value in those guys that would be reserves. So you may think it is enough but it is not enough to Utah.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,757

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 18, 2024 1:48 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Lauri Markkanen is 27 years old in a few days and has made 1 AS game, no All-NBA team in his career. He's averaged 57.5 games played in 7 seasons. He's an elite shooter and great at attacking close outs, and a pretty good defender basically by default by virtue of being 7 ft. tall and able to move. That's a valuable player but I'm not convinced that's a player you trade 5+ unprotected picks and swaps for, or the 1st overall pick in a draft for. Gobert returned 5 picks, Kessler and salary, and he was coming off 3 straight AS games, 4 x All-NBA, 3 x DPOY, with a track record of leading his teams to several winning seasons. The only time you had a 1st overall for a player trade in the non-plumber NBA, it was for Kevin Love, who at age 25 was 3 time AS, 2 time All-NBA 2nd team, and was getting MVP votes. Lauri is frankly nowhere close to those two. He's closer to Ingram and Siakam than guys like Gobert or KD or Prime Harden which is how he's getting valued ITT.

And Utah has no problem holding onto a guy that was underutilized by former teams and has a game that will age nicely.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,837

Post#23 » by brackdan70 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:29 pm

mademan wrote:Lakers trade Rui + 2 unprotected 1st rounders + 2 unprotected swaps + JHS

Jazz trade Markannen

For Lakers: Upgrade Rui for a 2 year window with Lebron re-signing. They go for broke, which, i imagine, will be one of the prerequisites to getting Lebron to sign.This gives them a real shot a title, imo

Dlo/Vincent
Reeves/Christie
Lebron/Vando
Markannen/
AD/

FC depth will need to be fit in with minimums+TMLE

For Jazz: Get some high variance 1st rounders for a guy they dont (or at least shouldnt) want to max out. Tank for Flagg and put themselves in a great spot a year from now to start building a contender.

What years are the picks? It matters.
Jalen Hood Schifino is a guy that you need to write out his name so I don’t have to look it up lol.

I like the ideas of this trade. But I do feel the Jazz might need a bit more value.
Sign here
meat tray
Junior
And1: 12

Post#24 » by meat tray » Sat May 18, 2024 7:26 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:And is he actually better than Siakam? I'm not sure he is and if he is he's not significantly better and so asking for returns way higher than what he brought doesn't add up.

In a vacuum, I agree, they are a similar level of player, however there is a lot of context missing:

1) Siakam is four years older than Lauri.
2) Siakam was moved at the trade deadline. A team trading for Lauri would be getting him for the full year. Siakam also publicly said he would refuse to extend with any team acquiring him.
3) By all reports, Lauri is happy in Utah, which is incredibly important given the market.
4) Again, according to reports, Utah intends to build around him.

Does that mean he is untouchable? Of course not, but teams will have to offer more than ‘fair value’ to get them to consider moving him. A Siakam like return is not that.

Return to Trades and Transactions