Lakers/Jazz

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,719

Lakers/Jazz 

Post#1 » by mademan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 am

Lakers trade Rui + 2 unprotected 1st rounders + 2 unprotected swaps + JHS

Jazz trade Markannen

For Lakers: Upgrade Rui for a 2 year window with Lebron re-signing. They go for broke, which, i imagine, will be one of the prerequisites to getting Lebron to sign.This gives them a real shot a title, imo

Dlo/Vincent
Reeves/Christie
Lebron/Vando
Markannen/
AD/

FC depth will need to be fit in with minimums+TMLE

For Jazz: Get some high variance 1st rounders for a guy they dont (or at least shouldnt) want to max out. Tank for Flagg and put themselves in a great spot a year from now to start building a contender.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Re: Lakers/Jazz 

Post#2 » by TGW » Sat May 18, 2024 3:24 am

The Jazz could get way better offer than this.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
mademan
RealGM

Post#3 » by mademan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:26 am

TGW wrote:The Jazz could get way better offer than this.

Could they? We saw what Siakam and OG went for as UFA to be. Markannen will go for more, but i dont think its gonna be significantly more.

The question, imo, is whether or not the Jazz want Lauri long term at 50mill/year. If they dont, i think this is the type of offer they'd get.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 18, 2024 3:38 am

mademan wrote:

Could they? We saw what Siakam and OG went for as UFA to be. Markannen will go for more, but i dont think its gonna be significantly more.

The question, imo, is whether or not the Jazz want Lauri long term at 50mill/year. If they dont, i think this is the type of offer they'd get.

Philly and OKC would offer more
mademan
RealGM

Post#5 » by mademan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:44 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
mademan wrote:

I dont think Philly could offer more ( i think they have the same number of picks and neither have any good prospects). And i dont think OKC would offer more, but i could be wrong. Again, not every team wants Lauri at 50 mill/year. Does OKC want to pay him and then 1 year later pay both Jdub+Chet? And then a year later give a big raise to Shai?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Sat May 18, 2024 3:46 am

mademan wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
mademan wrote:

I dont think Philly could offer more ( i think they have the same number of picks and neither have any good prospects). And i dont think OKC would offer more, but i could be wrong. Again, not every team wants Lauri at 50 mill/year. Does OKC want to pay him and then 1 year later pay both Jdub+Chet? And then a year later give a big raise to Shai?

Philly can offer 5 1sts to LAL's 3. yes, I would do that if i was OKC. This is basically their last chance to get another star as you said to try to win before taxes kick in. You also need to do it if nothing else but to convince shai to stay another 5 yrs
mademan
RealGM

Post#7 » by mademan » Sat May 18, 2024 3:51 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
mademan wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Philly can offer 5 1sts to LAL's 3. yes, I would do that if i was OKC. This is basically their last chance to get another star as you said to try to win before taxes kick in. You also need to do it if nothing else but to convince shai to stay another 5 yrs

ya forgot Philly had those Nets picks. Still dont think OKC would want to spend that much on Lauri, but agree to disagree.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,501

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 18, 2024 3:52 am

OKC can always offer more. We can repeat that in every thread or we can talk about the offer in the OP. OKC isn't going to trade for every single player.

I think the offer in the OP is more than fair value wise. Not sure why we have allowed his value to get set as high as we have. He's a talented player, but one of the main reasons he was starting to get valued highly was he outplayed his contract. Well that's done now. You just get the one year. Then he's either gone or he's maxed.

And is he actually better than Siakam? I'm not sure he is and if he is he's not significantly better and so asking for returns way higher than what he brought doesn't add up.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#9 » by DowJones » Sat May 18, 2024 3:53 am

I have to imagine Utah just keeps Lauri. Maybe they trade him if a guy like Garland becomes available, but this deal doesn’t seem close to enough to get Utah to make a move.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,757

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 18, 2024 4:05 am

DowJones wrote:I have to imagine Utah just keeps Lauri. Maybe they trade him if a guy like Garland becomes available, but this deal doesn’t seem close to enough to get Utah to make a move.

Not even close. Lakers don’t have the ammo to get him. I imagine he stays with the Jazz.
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 711

Post#11 » by kds92 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:18 am

Reaves would have to be included In a Lauri to LAL trade. If he's not included, all picks & swaps need to be on the table.

The interesting thing with the Lakers picks/swaps though is that the Jazz would effectively have access to 6 years of unprotected Lakers firsts (27/29/31 firsts & 26/28/30 swaps) which would all have to be made unprotected as part of any deal without Reaves.

By the time the picks become available, LeBron will likely be retiring, AD will be 33/34, and they would have a 29-year old Lauri (in this scenario) on a $40 million/yr deal. Sure, they can get another "superstar" in FA, but the CBA makes it more favorable for stars to leave via trade and the Lakers could have nothing but one new long-term pick each year to trade. As a reminder, the Lakers have been terribly mismanaged over the last decade by the "poorest" owner in the league.

For Utah, they can do better, but for an expiring Lauri, this is an interesting value proposition. Having access to 6 years of unprotected firsts from one franchise sounds pretty crazy.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,658

Post#12 » by JRoy » Sat May 18, 2024 5:55 am

No reason for UTA to donate LM when they can do better elsewhere. ATL might give #1 FRP for LM.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,505

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:23 am

I don't like this, either. We've seen plenty of better proposals for the Jazz on the forum - so if that reflects what could be out there I'd say the odds of him going to the Lakers are slim to none.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#14 » by ejftw » Sat May 18, 2024 6:39 am

Unless Utah is sky high on Fino and thinks Rui is a solid 6th man, I don't see how this plausible
mademan
RealGM

Post#15 » by mademan » Sat May 18, 2024 7:44 am

babyjax13 wrote:I don't like this, either. We've seen plenty of better proposals for the Jazz on the forum - so if that reflects what could be out there I'd say the odds of him going to the Lakers are slim to none.

You think the Jazz are ok maxing him out?
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,777

Post#16 » by nzahir » Sat May 18, 2024 7:59 am

AingesBurner wrote:
DowJones wrote:I have to imagine Utah just keeps Lauri. Maybe they trade him if a guy like Garland becomes available, but this deal doesn’t seem close to enough to get Utah to make a move.

Not even close. Lakers don’t have the ammo to get him. I imagine he stays with the Jazz.

We have 3 1sts, 3 swaps, Reaves, JHS, Christie, and Rui.....

So yes we have enough assets

The question is what is worth giving up

The fit is probably too clunky with Bron and AD on the defensive end

Offense would be great actually since he can space the floor and he scores mostly off ball and off created buckets

I feel like if we get another big its a stretch big that can play alongside AD and help the defense. Unless Lauri is that guy and I am just unaware (I dont watch enough Utah or haven''t dug into his defense when it comes to rim protection and perimeter defense)

I do know Utah was playing him more at the 5, and if thats the case it would require AD to probably lean out a bit and play the roamer again on defense (which he is/was better at anyways)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,505

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:17 am

mademan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don't like this, either. We've seen plenty of better proposals for the Jazz on the forum - so if that reflects what could be out there I'd say the odds of him going to the Lakers are slim to none.

You think the Jazz are ok maxing him out?

Absolutely.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#18 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:46 am

Lauri Markkanen is 27 years old in a few days and has made 1 AS game, no All-NBA team in his career. He's averaged 57.5 games played in 7 seasons. He's an elite shooter and great at attacking close outs, and a pretty good defender basically by default by virtue of being 7 ft. tall and able to move. That's a valuable player but I'm not convinced that's a player you trade 5+ unprotected picks and swaps for, or the 1st overall pick in a draft for. Gobert returned 5 picks, Kessler and salary, and he was coming off 3 straight AS games, 4 x All-NBA, 3 x DPOY, with a track record of leading his teams to several winning seasons. The only time you had a 1st overall for a player trade in the non-plumber NBA, it was for Kevin Love, who at age 25 was 3 time AS, 2 time All-NBA 2nd team, and was getting MVP votes. Lauri is frankly nowhere close to those two. He's closer to Ingram and Siakam than guys like Gobert or KD or Prime Harden which is how he's getting valued ITT.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,724

Post#19 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 18, 2024 12:00 pm

Lauri won’t be on a max. I think the renegotiate will only keep him in Utah an extra 2-3 years and pretty flat 40-42 million a year. It’ll be about buying time for Utah to pick a lane and have to be Lauri friendly enough for that to work out.. Both sides win that way.

Give him 24 million extra next year and only ask to add two years on his deal, lets him hit free agency at age 30 once he’s 10 years in.. play with the numbers so he makes almost exactly what a two year max would be or give him an extra 5-10 million total to keep it short… Include an extra year player option or an ETO around 36-38 million to add some security for Lauri. If he gets hurt, etc he only loses that 4th year 50+ million dollar season. If he doesn’t, he gets to be in a free agent two years earlier and sign a bigger max contract that will extend through his 30’s... Feels like it’s worth it.

That’s what I expect. Boring I know.

But I still stick with if Utah isn’t adding any real talent, they should trade Lauri.

And while the OP isn’t the most exciting offer.. owning every pick post AD prime from the Lakers, especially if LBJ is signing a 2 year extension and LAL is limited by the apron… Is a really nice situation. Last time LAL had to rebuild, it brought in a nice string of high lottery picks..

So you definitely consider it or at least it forces Philly to include more
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,497

Post#20 » by Karmaloop » Sat May 18, 2024 12:22 pm

kds92 wrote:Reaves would have to be included In a Lauri to LAL trade. If he's not included, all picks & swaps need to be on the table.

The interesting thing with the Lakers picks/swaps though is that the Jazz would effectively have access to 6 years of unprotected Lakers firsts (27/29/31 firsts & 26/28/30 swaps) which would all have to be made unprotected as part of any deal without Reaves.

By the time the picks become available, LeBron will likely be retiring, AD will be 33/34, and they would have a 29-year old Lauri (in this scenario) on a $40 million/yr deal. Sure, they can get another "superstar" in FA, but the CBA makes it more favorable for stars to leave via trade and the Lakers could have nothing but one new long-term pick each year to trade. As a reminder, the Lakers have been terribly mismanaged over the last decade by the "poorest" owner in the league.

For Utah, they can do better, but for an expiring Lauri, this is an interesting value proposition. Having access to 6 years of unprotected firsts from one franchise sounds pretty crazy.

I'd put slightly above 0% chance the Lakers would even entertain that kind of offer. The fit at best is clunky, and then there's the concern of that whole roster imbalance as well.

Return to Trades and Transactions