POR - CHI - ORL

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,311

POR - CHI - ORL 

Post#1 » by NotACat » Fri May 17, 2024 5:36 am

Portland trades - Jerami Grant
Portland receives - #18, 2025 Den 1st

Chicago trades - #11, Lonzo Ball
Chicago receives - Jerami Grant

Orlando trades - #18, 2025 Den 1st
Orlando receives - #11, Lonzo Ball

Portland receives 2 first round picks to use as they wish, and also clear a ton of cap space to take on bad contracts and picks. Considering Jerami's age and contract, I see them happy with this outcome. His value will decrease as he continues into his 30s.

Recent interviews say Orlando is looking for 2-way guys that fit their defensive identity. Orlando fronts the cost for Jerami Grant and absorb Lonzo into cap space and are rewarded by moving up in the draft. Orlando's FO has demonstrated patience with Fultz and Isaac, so I think they'd be willing to take a swing on him. They also have Anthony Black in the wings as well as Cole Anthony, so they're fine if Lonzo needs more time than expected to recover.

All reports indicate that Chicago is looking to upgrade their roster to be more competitive next year. Coby's ascendance last year makes it easy to dump Lonzo, especially since he says he's only at 70% after over 2 years of rehab, and trade #11 to get a solid forward in Jerami Grant. He'll be an immediate difference maker for their defense and provide good veteran leadership.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 872

Re: POR - CHI - ORL 

Post#2 » by tester551 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 am

NotACat wrote:Portland trades - Jerami Grant

Orlando receives - #11

Portland receives 2 first round picks to use as they wish, and also clear a ton of cap space to take on bad contracts and picks. Considering Jerami's age and contract, I see them happy with this outcome. His value will decrease as he continues into his 30s.

Recent interviews say Orlando is looking for 2-way guys that fit their defensive identity. Orlando fronts the cost for Jerami Grant and absorb Lonzo into cap space and are rewarded by moving up in the draft. Orlando's FO has demonstrated patience with Fultz and Isaac, so I think they'd be willing to take a swing on him. They also have Anthony Black in the wings as well as Cole Anthony, so they're fine if Lonzo needs more time than expected to recover.

All reports indicate that Chicago is looking to upgrade their roster to be more competitive next year. Coby's ascendance last year makes it easy to dump Lonzo, especially since he says he's only at 70% after over 2 years of rehab, and trade #11 to get a solid forward in Jerami Grant. He'll be an immediate difference maker for their defense and provide good veteran leadership.

What happened to Ball? Going to Magic?

Id be surprised if Orlando agrees to this.

From Portland's perspective -> there is no need to get another pick in this draft. Id much rather #18 go back to the Bulls & Portland's future 1st is returned instead....
with that modification, sign me up
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#3 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 10:25 am

I think ORL has moved out of their “Salvage” phase. No seasons to waste anymore. Patient attempts with Fultz & Isaac made sense at the time, but now a solid young core has been established. I’d hate to think ORL set up all of that cap space and excess picks for this swing.

Too bad about Ball…he’d be a fantastic fit- but I’ve heard nothing optimistic about his issues.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,726

Post#4 » by jayjaysee » Fri May 17, 2024 10:58 am

Chicago giving up the 11th pick for Grant is the question mark to me. While taking on 8 million and causing their own tax issues if they want to keep Demar and Williams.

Even if you toss if Carter to Portland, you’re still running tighter than you want IMO.

For Orlando.. I think I trade 18th for a decently protected future first and just go full fingers-crossed at free agency this summer. The young trio is great and they have some developmental guys on roster. Feel the same with OKC at 12, though OKC is a step above everyone else in league as far at rebuilds go obviously.. So yeah, Orlando should be doing the opposite of this IMO, unless they just love Reed and he’s there at 11th?
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,642

Post#5 » by Myth » Fri May 17, 2024 12:14 pm

Yes for Portland.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,945

Post#6 » by ChettheJet » Fri May 17, 2024 1:23 pm

No for the Bulls. If they're adding Grant to Lavine, DeRozan, Vucevic that combines the aspects of aging, injury prone and sadly all NON WINNERS but most of all, all north of $20M per year for at least the next 2 years and some 3. I couldn't think of anything worse that is guaranteed to cause an executive shake up in 2 years and a complete tear down and rebuild

awful
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,659

Post#7 » by JRoy » Fri May 17, 2024 1:39 pm

Doesn’t CHI need that?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 307

Post#8 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri May 17, 2024 5:09 pm

There is no guarantee that Ball ever plays again. Magic are done rehabbing players and moving on to let's win players.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 247

Post#9 » by QMemphis » Fri May 17, 2024 5:15 pm

Why would the Magic who are looking to compete do this?
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,938

Post#10 » by giberish » Fri May 17, 2024 5:20 pm

QMemphis wrote:Why would the Magic who are looking to compete do this?

Yeah it makes more sense with Orlando taken out. Just send Ball and the higher pick to Portland. They won't be competing next year anyway. Of course it only makes sense for Chicago if DDR or perhaps Williams aren't coming back and they want Grant as a repalcement.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Post#11 » by meekrab » Fri May 17, 2024 5:28 pm

giberish wrote:
QMemphis wrote:Why would the Magic who are looking to compete do this?

Yeah it makes more sense with Orlando taken out. Just send Ball and the higher pick to Portland. They won't be competing next year anyway. Of course it only makes sense for Chicago if DDR or perhaps Williams aren't coming back and they want Grant as a repalcement.

There's roughly zero chance the real-life Bulls are letting Williams go unless he gets a max offer from some crazy team, he is the front office's pet project, first lottery draft pick, and they need him to work out.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#12 » by louc1970 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:39 pm

tester551 wrote:
NotACat wrote:Portland trades - Jerami Grant

Orlando receives - #11

What happened to Ball? Going to Magic?

Id be surprised if Orlando agrees to this.

From Portland's perspective -> there is no need to get another pick in this draft. Id much rather #18 go back to the Bulls & Portland's future 1st is returned instead....
with that modification, sign me up

I don't see the downside for Orlando unless you are concerned about cap space. The 25 from Denver is going to be mid-late 20s. Giving up 18 to move to 11.
Paying Ball is a hassle if he is not healthy. But if he is, that is a huge win.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#13 » by louc1970 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:42 pm

Skybox wrote:I think ORL has moved out of their “Salvage” phase. No seasons to waste anymore. Patient attempts with Fultz & Isaac made sense at the time, but now a solid young core has been established. I’d hate to think ORL set up all of that cap space and excess picks for this swing.

Too bad about Ball…he’d be a fantastic fit- but I’ve heard nothing optimistic about his issues.

With #11, Magic could grab Collier as a PG leaving Black to be the do-it-all bench presence.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 987

Post#14 » by Waynearchetype » Fri May 17, 2024 5:44 pm

I think you could simplify it to
POR OUT: Grant, #34, #40
POR IN: #11, Lonzo, Jevon Carter

CHI OUT: Lonzo, Jevon Carter, #11
CHI IN: Grant, #34, #40

I think you need to throw in some filler to make it legal Made legal. I think maybe you spin off #40 going to chicago to #40 and Jevon Carter to another team for less salary back to blazers.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#15 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 5:52 pm

If the Magic FO sits on their hands this summer...this would look good, in hindsight, they shouldn't though.

Even for a higher ranked PG in this draft, it'd be pumping the brakes...ORL parked two lottery picks in time-out last year. Drafting another raw prospect (Collier can't shoot right?) isn't the right direction. ORL is fortunate to be farther ahead in their rebuild than expected and shouldn't slow down for more 19 year olds with fuzzy futures...especially since they have the cap space to bring in proven player(s).
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,992

Post#16 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri May 17, 2024 5:54 pm

I don't like Grant for Chicago (though I get the idea of turning Ball into somebody who can play) or Lonzo for Orlando at all.

If there's any plausible version of this, though, I would rather see any 2024 draft picks coming to Portland rerouted in an effort to climb the draft board or get future considerations.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Skybox
RealGM

Post#17 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 9:44 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:I don't like Grant for Chicago (though I get the idea of turning Ball into somebody who can play) or Lonzo for Orlando at all.

If there's any plausible version of this, though, I would rather see any 2024 draft picks coming to Portland rerouted in an effort to climb the draft board or get future considerations.

If Lonzo could get on the floor, he’d be PERFECT for ORL.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,992

Post#18 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri May 17, 2024 10:55 pm

Skybox wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I don't like Grant for Chicago (though I get the idea of turning Ball into somebody who can play) or Lonzo for Orlando at all.

If Lonzo could get on the floor, he’d be PERFECT for ORL.

You are right. He would be great for a lot of teams. I had his availability in mind with the above comment. You and the other Magic fans said it best: salvage time is over in Orlando; winning time has begun.
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,785

Post#19 » by Case2012 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:14 am

Send the denver pick to chicago in exchange for portlands pick back and it's perfect.
Instagram: @casetwelve

Return to Trades and Transactions