Game #1 vs. Giants game thread.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,594

Re: Game #1 vs. Giants game thread. 

Post#41 » by Fierce1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:25 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Rodgers out next week means the Boys should be 2-0 to start the season.

This will be a tough test for the Cowboy offense. Jets have one of the top defenses in the league. We will find out how good our offense really is after this game. With Rodgers I expect the Jets to play 3 tight end formations and try to run the ball down our throats. We should also find out if our cowboys have improved stopping the run.

True.

But the Jets offense is ordinary without Rodgers.

So if it's a low scoring game, Cowboys win.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,169

Post#42 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:54 am

Dak wasn't even last in comp%. Burrow was.

Dak actuality had higher comp% than Mahomes

Should have known bjj just made that up
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#43 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:57 am

Hey BJJ, which QB played worse week 1....Dak Prescott or Daniel Jones?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,133

Post#44 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:56 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:We are currently using Dalton Schultz's backups at TE

In fact we should have given Schultz a contract and not taken a gamble in the draft. Shoon was the 5th TE taken, late in the 2nd. Unlikely that will hit big and it is telling that he isn't starting right now.

That is the one position we are probably bottom-5 in

Totally disagree. Ferguson was drafted to eventually replace Schultz. You don’t pay mediocre players big money. Schultz is not special and doesn’t deserve to be paid like he is. By mid season TE won’t be an issue for this team.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#45 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:21 pm

Mr B wrote:

In fact we should have given Schultz a contract and not taken a gamble in the draft. Shoon was the 5th TE taken, late in the 2nd. Unlikely that will hit big and it is telling that he isn't starting right now.

Totally disagree. Ferguson was drafted to eventually replace Schultz. You don’t pay mediocre players big money. Schultz is not special and doesn’t deserve to be paid like he is. By mid season TE won’t be an issue for this team.

Then why did we draft Schoon in the 2nd? We draft every player in every round with the hopes that they will end up being a starter and major contributor, but I do not believe that their expectations of Ferguson were that high. If so Schoon wouldn't be here.

I know it's really early. And I am trying not to overreact. But I have to say as of right now, our draft looks like a dud. Our 1st and 2nd round picks are buried.

Osa > Hankins > Mazi
Ferguson > Hendershot > Schoon

Mazi was supposed to heal our lack of run D up the middle, and Schoon was supposed to be Witten 2.0. Both look like they are a season or two away from being anything special.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#46 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:25 pm

Although I will say that Schoon has probably been bumped up to #2 after that Hendershot drop.

Hendershot probably saw his entire NFL career flash before his eyes after that drop. That was his moment to shine and he dropped it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#47 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:32 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Then why did we draft Schoon in the 2nd? We draft every player in every round with the hopes that they will end up being a starter and major contributor, but I do not believe that their expectations of Ferguson were that high. If so Schoon wouldn't be here.

I know it's really early. And I am trying not to overreact. But I have to say as of right now, our draft looks like a dud. Our 1st and 2nd round picks are buried.

Osa > Hankins > Mazi
Ferguson > Hendershot > Schoon

Mazi was supposed to heal our lack of run D up the middle, and Schoon was supposed to be Witten 2.0. Both look like they are a season or two away from being anything special.

If they didn’t have high expectations for Ferguson they wouldn’t have drafted him at all. The reason they then drafted Schoon is because they like running 2-3 TE sets. Also Schoon was the best blocking TE in the draft and even though they like Ferg he’s a receiving TE and not great at blocking. Development takes time. Give these guys some time and I believe both Schoon and Ferg will be good TE’s (as will Hendershot).
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#48 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:30 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:If there's a position the Boys need to upgrade, it's the TE spot.

If the Cowboys can upgrade that position then the sky is the limit for this team.

I disagree. Its QB. Its so obvious. Even with the great defensive effort and special teams play, Dak was last out of 32 starting QB's last week in completions and completion percentage. Seems the more we make it easy for Dak the worse he gets.
Also don't forget our Cowboys and puppet coach don't show up to play every week. I think the last time the Cowboys had a legit home field advantage was when we were playing at the old Texas Stadium.

I agree Dak is not elite, but replacing Dak at this point in time is UNREALISTIC!

But upgrading the TE spot is doable.

We're stuck with Dak for a while.

It is what it is.

We will see this weekend. The Jets and the 49ers will be the 2 best defenses Dak will go against this year. Until Prescott can start showing me something against elite teams and/or defenses, I have no reason to believe he will play good enough to win those games.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#49 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:50 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I disagree. Its QB. Its so obvious. Even with the great defensive effort and special teams play, Dak was last out of 32 starting QB's last week in completions and completion percentage. Seems the more we make it easy for Dak the worse he gets.
Also don't forget our Cowboys and puppet coach don't show up to play every week. I think the last time the Cowboys had a legit home field advantage was when we were playing at the old Texas Stadium.

I agree Dak is not elite, but replacing Dak at this point in time is UNREALISTIC!

It is what it is.

We will see this weekend. The Jets and the 49ers will be the 2 best defenses Dak will go against this year. Until Prescott can start showing me something against elite teams and/or defenses, I have no reason to believe he will play good enough to win those games.

What if Dak's numbers are something like:

1 TD pass
1 INT
150ish yards passing
1 rushing TD
75ish passer rating

Dallas wins 20-10

Because that is what I am expecting. Every QB struggles against the Jets' D. We just saw Allen throw 3 INTs on them.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,594

Post#50 » by Fierce1 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:08 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I disagree. Its QB. Its so obvious. Even with the great defensive effort and special teams play, Dak was last out of 32 starting QB's last week in completions and completion percentage. Seems the more we make it easy for Dak the worse he gets.

It is what it is.

The issue is not about how good Dak is, the issue is about what's doable and what's not.

Upgrading the TE spot is doable now.

But replacing Dak is not doable for the foreseeable future.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#51 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:17 pm

Already looking for a scapegoat for Dak's next bad game. lol. Here we go again.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#52 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:05 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

If he hits a TE in the chest and the TE drops it then it's not "scapegoat" sorry :lol:

You can excuse Mahome's INT that bounces off Tony's chest but when it happens to Dak it's on Dak. And that is because you are a weird variant Cowboys fan who hates the Cowboys and roots for Dak to fail.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#53 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:19 pm

Sorry. There were a couple drops but Dak still didn't look sharp. He didn't have to last game but will have to this week. There were some throws Dak tried to throw in tight windows, when he didn't have to. And to be honest, the whole offense didn't look sharp to me and the weather may have been a factor a bit. O-line will have to be much better this week as well.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:11 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

If he hits a TE in the chest and the TE drops it then it's not "scapegoat" sorry :lol:

You can excuse Mahome's INT that bounces off Tony's chest but when it happens to Dak it's on Dak. And that is because you are a weird variant Cowboys fan who hates the Cowboys and roots for Dak to fail.

Mahomes has 2 SB wins so he’s going to get the benefit of the doubt. Dak doesn’t have that luxury.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#55 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:33 am

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Already looking for a scapegoat for Dak's next bad game. lol. Here we go again.

Mahomes has 2 SB wins so he’s going to get the benefit of the doubt. Dak doesn’t have that luxury.

What? If a receiver drops the ball is on the receiver. No matter who passes it.

You blame Dak for the Hendershot drop?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#56 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:49 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:What? If a receiver drops the ball is on the receiver. No matter who passes it.

You blame Dak for the Hendershot drop?

Quite possibly the most non-shocking thing ever posted on this forum… no?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#57 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:15 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:I agree Dak is not elite, but replacing Dak at this point in time is UNREALISTIC!

It is what it is.

1 TD pass
1 INT
150ish yards passing
1 rushing TD
75ish passer rating

Dallas wins 20-10

Because that is what I am expecting. Every QB struggles against the Jets' D. We just saw Allen throw 3 INTs on them.

Dak struggles against all good teams and defenses. We've seen it his whole career to this point. What else is new? Dak doesn't have the ability, talent or brains to play a clean game when the lights shine the brightest vs. the elite. Until he does, why should any Cowboy fans believe in him?
What if Dak's numbers are more like this:

0 TD passes
2 or 3 int's
1 or 2 pick 6's
1 or 2 fumbles
0 rushing TD's
Less than 7 first downs for the game
And Jets win 16 - 6
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#58 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:05 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:We will see this weekend. The Jets and the 49ers will be the 2 best defenses Dak will go against this year. Until Prescott can start showing me something against elite teams and/or defenses, I have no reason to believe he will play good enough to win those games.

1 TD pass
1 INT
150ish yards passing
1 rushing TD
75ish passer rating

Dallas wins 20-10

Dak struggles against all good teams and defenses. We've seen it his whole career to this point. What else is new? Dak doesn't have the ability, talent or brains to play a clean game when the lights shine the brightest vs. the elite. Until he does, why should any Cowboy fans believe in him?

0 TD passes
2 or 3 int's
1 or 2 pick 6's
1 or 2 fumbles
0 rushing TD's
And Jets win 16 - 6

If Dak puts up those numbers and the Cowboys lose then that is a bad game for Dak, and I don't have an issue saying it.

Now you answer my scenario, the one that you ignored, where Dallas wins and Dak does "okay" vs an Elite Defense.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#59 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:20 pm

How does Allen get a free pass for throwing 3 INTs vs the Jets and losing to Zach Wilson?

That dude basically gets Mahomes treatment only he has no rings.

If that were Dak you'd have fans calling for him to be hung in public. Like BJJ is doing in here before the game even happens :lol:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#60 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:What if Dak's numbers are something like:

1 TD pass
1 INT
150ish yards passing
1 rushing TD
75ish passer rating

Dallas wins 20-10

0 TD passes
2 or 3 int's
1 or 2 pick 6's
1 or 2 fumbles
0 rushing TD's
And Jets win 16 - 6

If Dak puts up those numbers and the Cowboys lose then that is a bad game for Dak, and I don't have an issue saying it.

Now you answer my scenario, the one that you ignored, where Dallas wins and Dak does "okay" vs an Elite Defense.

Dak is not getting paid to do just o.k. anymore. He's had 8 years to develop. He's here to deliver as Jerry has stated moving forward. Its all about results now whomever they play. You even have to admit that it's finally time for Dak to start playing clean games and deliver against the best teams, best QB's and best defenses. If he can't out play and out score Zack Wilson in this game at home, why would anyone think he can beat any of the other top QB's when it comes playoff time.

Return to Dallas Cowboys