ImageImageImageImage

2017 Dallas Cowboys - Season Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Re: 2017 Dallas Cowboys - Season Thread 

Post#201 » by gravytrain24 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 am

It's sad that our offense and defense completely relies on two players in order to win games. I think Garrett might officially be on the hot seat
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#202 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:38 pm

And once again our elite wr making elite money doesn't show up, get open or make any kind of difference at all. Our coaches don't even try to slightly game plan around him. I was right 4 years ago. He was way over rated then and still over rated now. I trade him to a scrub team before the end of the season for a draft pick on defense which I have been screaming about for for 8 years now. Oh, wait, Jerry is loyal to his over paid decisions.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,133

Post#203 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Trade deadlines be had already passed. I do agree that the focus of the draft does need to be on defense again. I also agree that Garrett might officially be on the hot seat now.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#204 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 pm

To be honest we are extremely weak at wr. Not at all impressed with Bryant and Williams at all. Witten really does need to retire. he looks like a mud turtle out there. And yes, our defense still sucks. Its funny how other teams can have a couple injuries and still win, but we can't. Oh, that's right, most other teams have a coach that can make adjustments.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#205 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 am

So let’s say we all get our wish and Garrett is canned after the season. Who are some realistic options for replacing Red?

I know more than a couple of us want Harbaugh but the truth is he may have too strong of a personality to work with Jerry. Harbaugh may also not be ok with no having 100% control over the team. So after him who else is out there?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#206 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:31 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:To be honest we are extremely weak at wr. Not at all impressed with Bryant and Williams at all. Witten really does need to retire. he looks like a mud turtle out there. And yes, our defense still sucks. Its funny how other teams can have a couple injuries and still win, but we can't. Oh, that's right, most other teams have a coach that can make adjustments.

I still think the coaches should be scheming these guys open. They are clearly not able to get open with the plays that are being called now. With that said there is absolutely no reason Dez shouldn’t be getting open. He’s faced a lot of single coverage this year and he’s just not beating it. With the right scheme I think can still be very effective just not the one we’re running right now. If they keep Garrett then there is no reason to even consider bringing Dez back.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#207 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:To be honest we are extremely weak at wr. Not at all impressed with Bryant and Williams at all. Witten really does need to retire. he looks like a mud turtle out there. And yes, our defense still sucks. Its funny how other teams can have a couple injuries and still win, but we can't. Oh, that's right, most other teams have a coach that can make adjustments.

I still think the coaches should be scheming these guys open. They are clearly not able to get open with the plays that are being called now. With that said there is absolutely no reason Dez shouldn’t be getting open. He’s faced a lot of single coverage this year and he’s just not beating it. With the right scheme I think can still be very effective just not the one we’re running right now. If they keep Garrett then there is no reason to even consider bringing Dez back.

As much as Butler drives me crazy with his drops, he should be out there more than Williams. He stretches the field and possibly relieves Beasley of some of that double coverage he's seeing. Dez isn't threatening anyone. I really wish they would just let him move on but I'm not familiar with his contract situation so I don't know what options they have financially. Wouldn't mind seeing Switzer and Beasley out there in some of those Patriot sets but that's clearly not Linehan's M.O.

Lots of issues... and that doesn't begin to talk about the defense.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Mr B wrote:So let’s say we all get our wish and Garrett is canned after the season. Who are some realistic options for replacing Red?

I know more than a couple of us want Harbaugh but the truth is he may have too strong of a personality to work with Jerry. Harbaugh may also not be ok with no having 100% control over the team. So after him who else is out there?

My Father in Law and I had this very discussion over lots of turkey this past weekend. I agree about Harbaugh - I don't see that as a good mix but then again I didn't see Parcells and Jerry getting along either. But clearly this team needs an infusion of new and creative coaching on both sides of the ball which is why I would steer clear of retreads. My preference would be to look at the successful younger OC's and DC's and their staffs instead.

Probably a good homework assignment for us. Not like we have much else to look forward to this season.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:58 pm

And - for the record... Garrett has 3 years and $15M left on his deal. We all know Jerry isn't walking away from that unless Garrett pulls a Wade and goes 1-8. And that isn't happening this year. Because of Zeke.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#210 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:So let’s say we all get our wish and Garrett is canned after the season. Who are some realistic options for replacing Red?

My Father in Law and I had this very discussion over lots of turkey this past weekend. I agree about Harbaugh - I don't see that as a good mix but then again I didn't see Parcells and Jerry getting along either. But clearly this team needs an infusion of new and creative coaching on both sides of the ball which is why I would steer clear of retreads. My preference would be to look at the successful younger OC's and DC's and their staffs instead.

Probably a good homework assignment for us. Not like we have much else to look forward to this season.

Here’s two names for you. Todd Walsh DC of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Not my favorite choice but he’s done a great job with the Jags defense.

The name is one that really interests me... John DeFilippo. He’s 39 years old and has been the QB coach in Philly for the last 2 years. Before that he was the OC/QB coach in Cleveland when McCown was having a good year. If Jerry did want to go the Sean McVay route and sign a young assistant that’s hot right now he fits the bill. He’d also likely do wonders for Dak’s career.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#211 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 am

I want someone who will not be a puppet, but that's what Jerry wants. I blame Jerry and nobody but Jerry for the current and on going situation we have been in for years. If Jerry was smart, or if I was in charge, I bring back Jimmy Johnson and let him have total control of ALL FOOTBALL operations and step aside. And just think of the drama and buzz that would cause in Cowboy land.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#212 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I want someone who will not be a puppet, but that's what Jerry wants. I blame Jerry and nobody but Jerry for the current and on going situation we have been in for years. If Jerry was smart, or if I was in charge, I bring back Jimmy Johnson and let him have total control of ALL FOOTBALL operations and step aside. And just think of the drama and buzz that would cause in Cowboy land.

I don’t think there is anything at this point that would pry Jimmy from his boat in Miami.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:18 pm

So... all the sudden the Giants game becomes a massive trap game. You know that the G-Men are going to play their asses off for Spags. And - it ain't like there aren't examples in the history of sports where a coaching change creates that exact scenario. Including 2010... when Garrett took over for the fired Wade Phillips and immediately led the cowboys to a 33-20 win... over the Giants in the Meadowlands.

I have a bad feeling about this one...
Mr B
RealGM

Post#214 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:33 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:So... all the sudden the Giants game becomes a massive trap game. You know that the G-Men are going to play their asses off for Spags. And - it ain't like there aren't examples in the history of sports where a coaching change creates that exact scenario. Including 2010... when Garrett took over for the fired Wade Phillips and immediately led the cowboys to a 33-20 win... over the Giants in the Meadowlands.

I have a bad feeling about this one...

Yea I would not be shocked at all if the Ginas came out swinging and actually won this game.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:56 pm

Welp... Falcons win. Cowboys didn't need that.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#216 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Even if Dez took a pay cut (which we all know he won't), he still won't be worth it. Sorry to bring it up again. I really did see this coming 3 years ago.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,817

Post#217 » by Romeiro Celtic » Mon Jan 1, 2018 4:02 pm

I was watching that Ravens game yesterday and gosh Flacco has to be moved, guy costed them their playoff appearence.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,817

Post#218 » by Romeiro Celtic » Mon Jan 1, 2018 4:03 pm

As for us I liked our run, but still we need to do better moves this offseason to improve both our offense and defense, specially our defense.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#219 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 1, 2018 6:41 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Even if Dez took a pay cut (which we all know he won't), he still won't be worth it. Sorry to bring it up again. I really did see this coming 3 years ago.

I heard this morning that the Cowboys are definitely looking to part ways with Dez. Either by trade or release.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#220 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 1, 2018 6:43 pm

romeiroceltic wrote:As for us I liked our run, but still we need to do better moves this offseason to improve both our offense and defense, specially our defense.

Well there’s this. Personally I’ve never been a fan of Haley dating back to his time here under Parcells.

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Cowboys