The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Re: Haliburton re-signs 5 years, $260 million 

Post#2 » by Pacersike » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:42 am

Thank you, owner(s) of our team :D .

Wondering who could become the sceenwriters of the NBA...
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 425

Post#3 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:55 am

Pacersike wrote:Thank you, owner(s) of our team :D .

Nba salaries are absolutely crazy. Fun to see one of our guys in the news get one.

I’m excited to be excited for Pacers basketball again. Been a while since we’ve gone into the season with expectations and not arguing about tank or not to tank.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 425

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 1, 2023 5:07 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=QcNQ3pwEIn83CdOpM_qpcQ
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,180

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:57 am

Well deserved
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 956

Post#6 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:55 pm

I wonder how conditional that salary is? Does he have to make all-star or all-league teams for the max to kick in?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 1, 2023 5:05 pm

Tom White wrote:I wonder how conditional that salary is? Does he have to make all-star or all-league teams for the max to kick in?

it's 25% of the cap unless he qualifies for more in which case it can jump to 30%. I believe the publicized number may assume that happens but in any event it is the max contract he can receive.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,174

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:02 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:I wonder how conditional that salary is? Does he have to make all-star or all-league teams for the max to kick in?

it's 25% of the cap unless he qualifies for more in which case it can jump to 30%. I believe the publicized number may assume that happens but in any event it is the max contract he can receive.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

He would have to make any all nba team, or be named MVP or Defensive Player of the Year in order to get the higher salary.

I think it’s safe to say that if he qualifies for it, we’ll be happy to pay him that salary.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:03 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

He would have to make any all nba team, or be named MVP or Defensive Player of the Year in order to get the higher salary.

I think it’s safe to say that if he qualifies for it, we’ll be happy to pay him that salary.

And, it only matters if he achieves any of these qualifiers just next season. That would lock him in or out for the entirety of that contract.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,547

Post#10 » by Boneman2 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 5:32 am

it's 1 mill per week for 5 years. Unreal. Maybe this is a sign to invest in real estate
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#11 » by Pacersike » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:22 am

Grang33r wrote:
Pacersike wrote:Thank you, owner(s) of our team :D .

Nba salaries are absolutely crazy. Fun to see one of our guys in the news get one.

I’m excited to be excited for Pacers basketball again. Been a while since we’ve gone into the season with expectations and not arguing about tank or not to tank.

It's easier to be excited when you see the shades of good plans.

For instance, forcing/allowing a shooting guard to run the point and forcing one of your centers to play smallball 4 wasn't a good plan.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 1, 2024 1:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 750

Post#14 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being selfish as a fan I hope he misses it by just a very small margin so that he is available for the majority of the season and playoffs. Also that would mean the Pacers have less salary commitment to construct the roster.

However I get it that it’s a big loss of money for Tyrese. I’m not sure how I feel about the rule implemented.

As a fan I’ve always been against high salaries in professional sports because the higher salaries become the more fans have to pay to see a game. It relegates me to staying home and not being a frequent or season ticket attender for events I like attending.
ButterflyRave
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#15 » by ButterflyRave » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:44 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought he could only miss 3 more. He only played 13 minutes on 1/8. Isn’t there a 15-minute threshold to count as a game played?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:47 am

ButterflyRave wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought he could only miss 3 more. He only played 13 minutes on 1/8. Isn’t there a 15-minute threshold to count as a game played?

They decided the in season final tournament game counted so one more.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 172

Post#17 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:30 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Being selfish as a fan I hope he misses it by just a very small margin so that he is available for the majority of the season and playoffs. Also that would mean the Pacers have less salary commitment to construct the roster.

However I get it that it’s a big loss of money for Tyrese. I’m not sure how I feel about the rule implemented.

As a fan I’ve always been against high salaries in professional sports because the higher salaries become the more fans have to pay to see a game. It relegates me to staying home and not being a frequent or season ticket attender for events I like attending.

I feel ya. I'm a bit on the other side,... I hope he makes it. IMO, Tyrese is the real deal. I'd rather see him happy, engaged, committed and with the Pacers for a long time. Don't want any frustrating little bits of red-tap to create issues,... one column reported it could be a $54M issue over the life of his contract?....

But in fact, I don't like the rule. I get the idea behind it,... but the league is messing with peoples incomes. If you want a 65 game rule for the MVP, or defensive MVP,... ok. I can agree with that,.. but how about not for simply making the All-star team? So, you have to play the 65 to be the best, but not to be recognized for a great season? Would take the league out of messing with peoples incomes?

You could even come up with league paid, standard bonuses that don't count against the cap for making MVP, D-MVP, or any of the all star teams? It just doesn't seem like tying a max or super-max contract to it makes as much sense in practice as it seems like it should in theory? With what the top players are making now,... should there even be a 'supermax' contract or extension?....

for me, how much players make is really a separate issue,.. Yes, I agree that professional athlete's make too much money. I think they should make good money, great money, even generational wealth,... because they don't have the window to make money that most of the rest of us do, and there are long term issues with putting your body through professional athletics. But,... multi-generational wealth? GDP expanding, investing in the economy wealth? Charles Barkley (it's on youtube) said the best advice that Michael Jordan ever gave him, was to take part of his income (from Nike) in stock options. That his investment in the company, repaid him many times over his total earnings as a player.

The idea that 1 person at 25 can make as much in a year, as 10, 20, 100 people with 6 figure incomes? Can make as much as an average income person makes in their life?... Make as much as people buying & investing in companies, creating jobs, taking the risk of new products or methods of manufacture?... that I don't support, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Used to be that guys in my old, blue-collar neighborhood, (we had a group of Pacers fans), would have a 6 game mini-season ticket for themselves & their family,... then it dropped to 1 or 2 games with the fam,... now it's 1 or 2 games for the guy & his son. People are going to take, whatever they get offered. I don't fault the players for it. The league itself, the owners, and the players (as a lobbying group) have set up this system. They all take as much as they can. Seemingly none of them reinvest it the way a venture capitalist would?

20 years ago, 2003-04 season,.. the highest paid pacer was Jermaine O'Neal at $13,152,000. The next highest was at $7,600,000. The Pacers were in the ECF and over the cap. The total team payroll was $58,156,236. (ONLY 20 years ago!) The league has grown, everyone should get a part of the pie,... but part of that pie should also be re-invested in the former players? The communities that have teams? Saved for the future of the League (you can't expand forever)? Invest in fighting homelessness, hunger; lack of opportunity? reinvested in keeping the ticket prices down, so more people could afford to go?....

Idk?... sorry for getting on my soapbox.... =/
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:47 pm

ButterflyRave wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

You are correct. But Scott Agness is reporting that since Haliburton played in the In Season Tournament game, which means he could play a maximum of 83 games, the league is giving him credit for that game played.

But yup. You nailed the minutes minimum there toward the award eligibility.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 172

Post#19 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
ButterflyRave wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter

You are correct. But Scott Agness is reporting that since Haliburton played in the In Season Tournament game, which means he could play a maximum of 83 games, the league is giving him credit for that game played.

I think the minutes numbers are like 20+ minutes in 63 games,.. and 2 games at 15+. which seems to explain why Ty is on a 22 minute restriction?...
ButterflyRave
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#20 » by ButterflyRave » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:50 pm

Wizop wrote:They decided the in season final tournament game counted so one more.

Scoot McGroot wrote:You are correct. But Scott Agness is reporting that since Haliburton played in the In Season Tournament game, which means he could play a maximum of 83 games, the league is giving him credit for that game played.

Got it, thanks guys. Makes perfect sense when i read the tweet more carefully. I was not putting it together that the IST final was not included in Haliburton's stats/games played on ESPN.

I like that the team seems to be trying to do right by Haliburton - playing him enough minutes to count as a game. He's a superstar and the future. He's worth every penny he makes. And a 42M star who trusts the FO/ownership is better than a 35M star who is disenfranchised or feels cheated in some way. Not sure it would get to that point, but who knows.

But it's frustrating to watch games like last night. I don't know for certain that they win with Hali playing in the 4th, but it's hard not to think that way. It will be interesting to see if he plays in tonight's game, and other back to backs. He's not on any injury report that I can find.

Return to Indiana Pacers