Moderator: Jake0890

PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Shaun Alexander As a Backup? 

Post#1 » by PR07 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:48 am

Seahawks released RB Shaun Alexander.
Because Seattle is comfortably under the cap, the team likely just terminated his contract rather than calling him a post-June 1 cut. Alexander played eight years for the Seahawks and was their first-round pick in 2000. He's got little left in the tank, but could be given a shot for a backup-needy team like the Colts, Ravens, or Chargers. His best-case scenario would be in Detroit. Apr. 22 - 6:17 pm et
Source: NFL.com

I think Shaun Alexander would be an excellent backup IMO. He's not that tough of a runner between the tackles anymore (never really was), but I still have to believe he has enough left in the tank to get some of the carries to keep Addai fresh.
FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#2 » by FreeRon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:37 am

That would be great, if a) he didn't ask for too much money, which he almost certainly will because he's likely to find a sucker somewhere, and b) he accepts that he's just a backup, which he most likely won't considering he's still good enough to start on some teams and he's got an ego the size of the Space Needle. Remember a couple years back when he was ticked at the Seahawks because he didn't get the rushing title? And when Seattle put him in a meaningless game when they got to the other team's 1 so he could break the TD record? Unless he's changed his attitude I'm not sure he could accept a backup role just yet.
ajizzle
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ajizzle » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:21 am

Well, players like that seem to lessen their ego when coming to elite teams, especially when there are enforcers in the lockerroom like Peyton, Jeff, and Bob. Corey Dillon was just as bad, but ended up being an important piece to one of the Pats' SBs, and he just destroyed us in the snow.

I would like Alexander, especially in short-yardage. W/ Kenton Keith getting in trouble last week, and w/ his inexperience (remember that dropped pass on the 3 that SD intercepted l/y), I wouldn't mind seeing Shaun in a Colts jersey. He has a good deal of experience, he'd take a few hits from Addai, and he'd most likely be able to learn the system quickly.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by PR07 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 am

Looks like no truth to the Alexander to Indy rumors.

ESPN's Michael Smith:

Two other veterans, former Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander and Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, have been mentioned as potential Colts acquisitions, but Polian said,
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#5 » by Miller4ever » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:42 am

Keith carries well enough, and now there's Mike Hart, who isn't really that great, but may prove to be a good enough runner given our offensive line to take the pressure off Peyton, Addai, and Keith.
FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#6 » by FreeRon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:07 pm

I hope Keith won't be back. He had a few good runs, but all of them were through huge holes. Being a Pacers fan, I'm also sick of the crap off the field. Hart is a good blocker and pass catcher, so I would hope that he takes over the backup role and Keith just moves on.

Return to Indianapolis Colts