Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Re: Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train 

Post#741 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:20 am

This dude is going to get paid in the offseason, and it's absolutely deserved
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#742 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:20 pm

Jordan Love's final Regular season rankings

DVOA: 8th
EPA/Play: 5th
CPOE: 15th
EPA/CPOE composite score: 10th
QBR: 9th
QB Rating: 11th

The final PFF grades aren't out yet which is why I haven't included those

But overall Love was basically a top 10 QB by every metric except CPOE, just incredible given the first half of the season.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,751

Post#743 » by Treebeard » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:11 pm

No stats to support this observation, but it seems to me that Love has launched fewer hang time lob shots downfield lately and more flatter trajectory missiles when going downfield. True, or not true?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,772

Post#744 » by jimmybones » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:35 pm

Can't wait to see how this dude looks next year after a full off-season with an entire year of film to work with on how to improve mechanically. There is so much to build off. Exciting stuff
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,772

Post#745 » by jimmybones » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:41 pm

Also, dude was 27-32 yesterday and two of his incompletions were great throws that were in the hands of his receiver in the end zone. Two tough catches away from being 29-32 with 4 TD. Wow just wow
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#746 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:50 pm

Treebeard wrote:No stats to support this observation, but it seems to me that Love has launched fewer hang time lob shots downfield lately and more flatter trajectory missiles when going downfield. True, or not true?

Somewhat true, but there's still room for improvement. The missile to Reed 2 weeks ago shows that he's capable of putting much more zip on his throws, but his mechanics aren't consistent enough. The first TD to Wicks had a little too much air under it, for example. It was still a good throw, but ideally it would have been more like the heater to Reed from the Vikings game. Wicks had good separation, and the defender probably should not have gotten that close.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#747 » by jute2003 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:56 pm

Treebeard wrote:No stats to support this observation, but it seems to me that Love has launched fewer hang time lob shots downfield lately and more flatter trajectory missiles when going downfield. True, or not true?
He definitely was trying to finesse the ball to the reciever less.
only a fan, only an opinion
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#748 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:59 pm

jimmybones wrote:Also, dude was 27-32 yesterday and two of his incompletions were great throws that were in the hands of his receiver in the end zone. Two tough catches away from being 29-32 with 4 TD. Wow just wow

Yeah, I thought of that as well. I still think there's something a little off about the catch rules if Doubs didn't have a catch. Two hands, full control, land on two feet.. then fall and the ground knocks it loose? It just seems like the ground causing a fumble, but a fumble after you already had possession in the end zone is still a TD. I would totally get it if he hadn't gotten his feet down first, and I'm guessing they ruled it right, but I guess I'm kind of questioning the rule, not the call.

Melton's should have been a slightly easier catch because it was a shorter throw, perfectly in stride with his angle and momentum, and less of a reach, but I don't blame them for not giving him the benefit of the doubt considering the bobble and the attempt to pin it on his thigh with one hand. It's the second time he probably should have caught a TD on an admittedly difficult throw in two weeks.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,095

Post#749 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:00 pm

I can't say I even agreed with all of MVP's takes from earlier in the year, but dude has been out fighting the fight and posting mountains of data all year while weathering a mountain of criticism and garbage takes from a 4-5 week stretch where some people were all but ready to bury him before he even had a full 17-games under his belt. As someone who still greatly values the eye test when it comes to NFL Quarterback evaluation, I've started to appreciate more of these advanced metrics that attempt to quantify a lot of the stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, and how useless things like completion % and Passer Rating have become.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#750 » by jute2003 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:14 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I can't say I even agreed with all of MVP's takes from earlier in the year, but dude has been out fighting the fight and posting mountains of data all year while weathering a mountain of criticism and garbage takes from a 4-5 week stretch where some people were all but ready to bury him before he even had a full 17-games under his belt. As someone who still greatly values the eye test when it comes to NFL Quarterback evaluation, I've started to appreciate more of these advanced metrics that attempt to quantify a lot of the stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, and how useless things like completion % and Passer Rating have become.
People are impatient twats and are incapable of admitting that we don't know ****
only a fan, only an opinion
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,943

Post#751 » by emunney » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:23 pm

Meanwhile, in the Big Apple

Read on Twitter
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,943

Post#752 » by emunney » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:25 pm

If you had told me 10 years ago that Rodgers would be a locker room cancer and replacing him with a first year player would make us better and a lot more fun to watch, I would have said no sir that seems implausible.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#753 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:36 pm

emunney wrote:Meanwhile, in the Big Apple

Read on Twitter
Curious what Rodgers is referring to here.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#754 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:38 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
emunney wrote:Meanwhile, in the Big Apple

Read on Twitter
Curious what Rodgers is referring to here.

His GM'ing.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,095

Post#755 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:41 pm

Clearly, "throwing accusations of pedophilia around at random celebrities on podcasts" doesn't fall under the umbrella of stuff that has "nothing to do with winning". That's just on-field motivation, baby...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,326

Post#756 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:47 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I can't say I even agreed with all of MVP's takes from earlier in the year, but dude has been out fighting the fight and posting mountains of data all year while weathering a mountain of criticism and garbage takes from a 4-5 week stretch where some people were all but ready to bury him before he even had a full 17-games under his belt. As someone who still greatly values the eye test when it comes to NFL Quarterback evaluation, I've started to appreciate more of these advanced metrics that attempt to quantify a lot of the stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, and how useless things like completion % and Passer Rating have become.

The eye test always produced two conflicting impressions. From the start, Love was always extremely composed in the pocket, and wasn't making stupid decisions. He looked the part of very good NFL quarterback. The problem was the accuracy on throws over 10 yards. They looked terrible. Overthrows, under throws, throws that were 10 yards off the receiver.

I think is going to be one of those outliers. i.e. a situation where a player made a massive turn, of a magnitude that doesn't have a ton of precedent. There was an NBA player that we'd talk about on the Bucks board that also did this, but I can't recall the name. Just know that about a decade ago, if you criticized any rookie or young player, the response would be "But "x" turned into All-NBA late in his career, so you can't think Joe Alexander won't do the same"
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,191

Post#757 » by wallus » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:48 pm

Tom Clements should be getting more credit
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#758 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:52 pm

wallus wrote:Tom Clements should be getting more credit

Tom Clements & Matt Lafleur deserve a crap ton of credit here imo. Love was a guy who had all the tools but needed to learn to better hone his craft & how to utilize those tools. MLF has a very long history of getting the best out of his QBs and Clements also has a long history of developing up young QBs. You honestly couldn't ask for a better pair of coaches to teach a young QB imo.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#759 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:10 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

The eye test always produced two conflicting impressions. From the start, Love was always extremely composed in the pocket, and wasn't making stupid decisions. He looked the part of very good NFL quarterback. The problem was the accuracy on throws over 10 yards. They looked terrible. Overthrows, under throws, throws that were 10 yards off the receiver.

I think is going to be one of those outliers. i.e. a situation where a player made a massive turn, of a magnitude that doesn't have a ton of precedent. There was an NBA player that we'd talk about on the Bucks board that also did this, but I can't recall the name. Just know that about a decade ago, if you criticized any rookie or young player, the response would be "But "x" turned into All-NBA late in his career, so you can't think Joe Alexander won't do the same"
Couple things related to this. Overall I'm not sure it should be viewed as some outlier turnaround and more a caution to not snap to judgments with small sample sizes. But when I say judgment I mean big picture, because in the moment it was absolutely appropriate to point out loves struggles. But more in the 'he sucked this week vs he sucks and will be out of the league'

Felt like his season kind of turned when they hit rock bottom. Love was struggling and everyone was hurt and both MLF and Love just kind of said **** it let's let it rip to whomever is healthy out there and it worked.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,093

Post#760 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:21 pm

I hope Clements sticks around. He's been non committal.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Green Bay Packers