Vikings Leadup

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,292

Vikings Leadup 

Post#1 » by humanrefutation » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:53 pm

In order for the Packers to make the playoffs if they win out, they need either the Commanders to lose one of their last two games (vs. Browns, vs. Cowboys) or the Giants to lose both their remaining games (vs. Colts, at Eagles).

But that only matters if we beat the Vikings.

Go Pack.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,867

Re: Vikings Leadup 

Post#2 » by VooDoo7 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:34 pm

For those who have been rooting for losses for better draft position, have you changed your tune?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,093

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:38 pm

I'm guessing Watson is out which sucks. Mild weather predicted.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#4 » by GiannisAnte34 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:07 am

how do they contain Justin Jefferson in this one?
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,878

Post#5 » by RubberSoul » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:28 am

VooDoo7 wrote:For those who have been rooting for losses for better draft position, have you changed your tune?

Yes for sure. Glad to be wrong honestly. Still in the minority in thinking this team could be better with Jordan Love. Our QB play is subpar right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#6 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:37 am

RubberSoul wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:For those who have been rooting for losses for better draft position, have you changed your tune?

Yes for sure. Glad to be wrong honestly. Still in the minority in thinking this team could be better with Jordan Love. Our QB play is subpar right now.

Like I said in the game thread, if you had only watched this season and you didn't know how great Rodgers was in the past, you might not have him as a top-30 QB in the entire NFL. Several starters have been worse, but several back-ups have looked better. He has been routinely outplayed by no-names and journeymen this year. He holds the ball way too long, is a little slower than average at this point, was not committed enough to attend mini-camps to build chemistry with new receivers, and has been remarkably inaccurate at all distances. Even some of his short tosses have been trash, and he's routinely off by several yards on deep throws. He's also just not seeing a lot of open receivers IMO. I honestly can't imagine Love being much worse, and I'm not a Love fan at all.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:43 am

Pack open as 3.5 point favorites
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#8 » by Profound23 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:14 am

Meh, I've accepted that we will end up in no man's land. Bad draft position and just missing the playoffs.

As a life long Bucks fan I'm used to that feeling.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#9 » by Profound23 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:14 am

If Watson is healthy and Barry realizes that Jaire should shadow Jefferson we have a shot.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,095

Post#10 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:54 am

Would've been much more fun rooting for this improbable playoff run if they were trotting Love out there instead of Aaron's corpse, but **** it. Just win baby.

Vikings are probably the most fraudulent 12-13 win team in the history of football. So it's hardly an impossible task at home.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#11 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:03 am

San Fran gets the Raiders next week. So the extra benefit of winning would be locking the #1 for Philly and then dropping Minny to the #3 assuming the Niners win.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#12 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:05 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Pack open as 3.5 point favorites

This is such a trap line for the Vikings so looks like we’re for sure gonna win, cool.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:04 am

Replace a top 5 receiver with 2 injury prone rookies and Sammy Watkins, throw in a fractured thumb and Rodgers has been fine all things considered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,304

Post#14 » by soboMP3 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:44 am

I’m all in on this magical playoff hunt. The sad part being we will never see Love against good teams and will likely lose him at season’s end the way this front office operates (ie they’ll keep Rodgers no matter what)… Go pack!!!
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,292

Post#15 » by humanrefutation » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:12 am

Let's say the Packers make the playoffs, and get bounced. Does the playoff berth supersede the value of a top tier draft pick? How about if they fall short of even making the playoffs?

With their recent run, you've got no choice but to root for them to keep it up. The ship has largely sailed on a top pick. But at the end of the day, the only way the go-for-it approach pays dividends is if this team makes it to a Super Bowl, IMO. If they fall short, it's a double whammy because you've squandered another year in a rapidly-shrinking win-now window and you don't even have a top-tier pick to show for it.

So that leads me to question whether this team could make a deep playoff run, if they make it, all on the road. This Vikings game will give us some evidence in either direction.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#16 » by DrWood » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:12 am

I won't change my tune unless we make the playoffs. Doing something stupid and succeeding in spite of it doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#17 » by sdn40 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:37 am

Profound23 wrote:

Meh, I've accepted that we will end up in no man's land. Bad draft position and just missing the playoffs.

As a life long Bucks fan I'm used to that feeling.

No such thing. There are good players and bad players at every draft slot.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#18 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:29 am

Mags FTW wrote:San Fran gets the Raiders next week. So the extra benefit of winning would be locking the #1 for Philly and then dropping Minny to the #3 assuming the Niners win.

Dallas currently owns the tiebreaker over Philly via division record, so beating Minnesota won't necessarily lock up #1 for Philly unless Philly wins or Dallas loses. I'm hoping for neither to happen because I want Dallas to be playing for the #1 seed against Washington in week 18. They'll probably be jockying for a higher seed regardless, but fighting for the #1 seed and a bye pretty much guarantees 100% effort. As a bonus, it would also mean Philly has something to play for against NYG in week 18, which matters if NYG loses in week 17.

A 3-way tie would probably go to SF (via conference record) for the #1 seed, but Dallas would still be motivated in week 18 unless SF wins out before Dallas plays their last game. Start times could matter a lot in week 18, and I hope the NFL does what MLB does and plays important games at the same time so they aren't rendered meaningless before kick-off.

The Vikings would probably drop to #4 if there are three 12-4 teams after week 17. They lost to the Cowboys, SF didn't play either team head-to-head, and they would have 4 conference losses if they lose at GB. Dallas currently has 3 and SF has 2. Would be nice to play Minnesota in round 1, but it's more important for Dallas to win out IMO, because GB might not be in the playoffs if they don't.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#19 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:33 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:San Fran gets the Raiders next week. So the extra benefit of winning would be locking the #1 for Philly and then dropping Minny to the #3 assuming the Niners win.

Dallas currently owns the tiebreaker over Philly via division record, so beating Minnesota won't necessarily lock up #1 for Philly unless Philly wins or Dallas loses. I'm hoping for neither to happen because I want Dallas to be playing for the #1 seed against Washington in week 18. They'll probably be jockying for a higher seed regardless, but fighting for the #1 seed and a bye pretty much guarantees 100% effort. As a bonus, it would also mean Philly has something to play for against NYG in week 18, which matters if NYG loses in week 17.

A 3-way tie would probably go to SF (via conference record) for the #1 seed, but Dallas would still be motivated in week 18 unless SF wins out before Dallas plays their last game. Start times could matter a lot in week 18, and I hope the NFL does what MLB does and plays important games at the same time so they aren't rendered meaningless before kick-off.

The Vikings would probably drop to #4 if there are three 12-4 teams after week 17. They lost to the Cowboys, SF didn't play either team head-to-head, and they would have 4 conference losses if they lose at GB. Dallas currently has 3 and SF has 2. Would be nice to play Minnesota in round 1, but it's more important for Dallas to win out IMO, because GB might not be in the playoffs if they don't.

Vikings can't be the 4 seed. That's going to be the winner of the South.
the_urre14
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#20 » by the_urre14 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:47 pm

It blows my mind to read people saying that they would rather have a high draft pick next year that going out in the Wild Card. Packers fans have been really spoiled for the last 30 years, to the point that making the playoffs isn´t even a thing. We should have memory. This same franchise went from 1968 to 1992 making the playoffs twice in 25 years. We have seen other teams also blow it up and be terrible for big streatches, picking high in the draft year after year and being still sterrible. I´m just greatful that after a really bad season, we are still playing for something for the last two weeks. Also it amazes me how, after a good drive in a finished game, you read some people saying that we would be better playing with Jordan Love than with Aaron Rodgers. I could take it if it came from sources inside the building watching both of them in training every game, but what probe or facts does any random fan have to state that? Don´t take A-Rod from granted, he might not be at the top of his powers, but he is still better that most of the QBs in the league.

Return to Green Bay Packers