Camp fun

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Camp fun 

Post#1 » by Icness » Wed Aug 5, 2009 12:22 pm

Talked to a Lions assistant last night. The long and short of it:
--Louis Delmas is going to be the Defensive Rookie of the Year. He's that good already. This coach said Delmas is as good as any safety in the NFC except Adrian Wilson. Right now.

--All the talk you're hearing about Stafford is legit and he has won over even the most virulent critics in the locker room and front office. There were a lot of people in the org that didn't want him, but now he has shown them the light.

--Culpepper is not responding well to the challenge. His accuracy on shorter routes is really off and he holds the ball too long. He looks fantastic though physically.

--Right tackle is going to be an issue all year. Cherilus "has zero instincts, like he's never seen a blitz before". Loper might win the job but he's not good in pass protect either. Jeff Backus is not moving from LT but has looked rejuvenated. Apparently if you ask Backus about the last two years he just walks away, wants to forget the nightmare. Hard to blame him, Mike Martz darn near ended his career.

--Julian Peterson is not as quick as he used to be or as quick as the Lions expected. They are hopeful it's just early camp/getting into shape, but it bears concern.

--Landon Cohen benched 46 reps at 225 last Friday, setting a team weight room record. He wasn't done. Monday he put up 50. Nobody else topped 33 (Sam Hill, Cherilus and Loper). Wish I could have seen that. He will get more run-down 1st team reps this preseason and the coaches hope he takes to it. Of concern: Fluellen only put up 21, which is terrible for a DT.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Re: Camp fun 

Post#2 » by Liqourish » Wed Aug 5, 2009 3:46 pm

I have heard that Stafford has outperformed Culpepper all spring/summer so far. Even Calvin Johnson has gone on record saying that Matt is the real deal and that he knows how to locate the ball to CJ that only he can get it. I know people wanted to bring him along slowly, but he might be out best option. And if he's ready, then he's ready.

Sucks about Cherilus, I was hoping he would improve this season but sounds like he just doesn't have the IQ to handle basic plays.

Delmas has been impressive since the draft. Everyone is raving about this kid. He just has it.

Any word on Pettigrew Icness? I know he just signed a 5 year contract..... how has he looked so far. I haven't heard alot about him.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#3 » by Icness » Wed Aug 5, 2009 6:12 pm

Pettigrew has sat out this week with a minor calf injury. Word is he tried squatting a bit too much and tweaked it, and they are erring on the side of caution.
xSABOx
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#4 » by xSABOx » Sat Aug 8, 2009 9:18 am

Is it wrong to be very excited for the direction this team is headed?

Potential franchise QB? Stafford
Above Average RBs? Smith/Morris
Superstar WR? Johnson
Jack of all trades TE? Pettigrew.

Potential double digit sack producing DE? Avril.
Above average LBs? Sims/Foote/Peterson
All-Pro S? Delmas

Get 6-8 wins this year is the first step towards something much greater.

They'll reach the playoffs soon if next off-season they just continue to work on the OL, draft a monster DT, and fill the rest of the roster with solid football players at reasonable contracts like they did this year.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#5 » by Liqourish » Sat Aug 8, 2009 11:06 am

Trying not too get too excited, but I'm optimistic that the Lions will not go 0-16 this season. Mayhew has really cleaned how and built a good foundation. I'm not expecting miracles, but progress will be a nice change around here.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 1:05 am

Couldnt be more excited for Delmas. Or Stafford

Cherilus....ugh. Cohen....Damn
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#7 » by Liqourish » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:29 pm

I just can't wait until preseason starts. Our first glimpse of the new team in action.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:15 am

Liqourish wrote:I just can't wait until preseason starts. Our first glimpse of the new team in action.

word to that. you know when the first preseason game is by chance?
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#9 » by Liqourish » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Sunday at 4pm.....
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:38 pm

effin sweet. Im pretty pumped to watch: Sammie Hill, Stafford, Delmas, Derrick Williams, Cherilus, Follet, and hopefully Pettigrew.

I gotta admit, i always get excited for football to be back, but this year i am especially excited. We didnt have too many exciting young players to watch last year. Now though....whoa boy

Is the game on Fox i assume?
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#11 » by Liqourish » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 pm

I think so.

I want to see our new linebacker lineup, how our offense is going to set up, and to get a good look at the players.

Delmas has been raved about all summer. Can't wait to see him on the field.

Stafford has been more than impressive. It's preseason so I'm expecting him to get quite a bit of time out there. I want to see his chemistry with CJ.

I'm not really expecting Pettigrew to play right now. I think he was a great pick though. It'll be fun to see him develop.

I'm not expecting wins or losses, I just want a good look at the team to see where they're at.

So excited.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#12 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:12 am

After last year's preseason, I'm not really sure what to hope for.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#13 » by Icness » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Looks like Stafford will be the official starter Sunday, which means he's the man for the regular season too.

Pretty much the entire receiving corp is dinged up right now so the passing game might not look great in the preseason opener. None are serious, but this camp has been much more physical and demanding than under Marinelli so these types of minor knicks could linger a while.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#14 » by Liqourish » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:35 pm

The team has been leaning towards Stafford more and more as the camp went on. He's just been the main guy who has stepped up. if he can't handle it, I'm sure they'll sit him down and have Daunte take over. But Matt has earned so far. He's our best chance at winning games right now.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Liqourish wrote:The team has been leaning towards Stafford more and more as the camp went on. He's just been the main guy who has stepped up. if he can't handle it, I'm sure they'll sit him down and have Daunte take over. But Matt has earned so far. He's our best chance at winning games right now.

Yeah

You know i was very down on starting him this season, but i have been converted. Its time
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#16 » by Liqourish » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:11 am

I just don't think we have much to lose at this point. We were 0-16 last year. Our defense and offense have improved, not enough to be a top team, but enough not to be embarassed.

Calvin Johnson is our #1 best player. We need to give him the best arm to utilize him.

It's not like Stafford will be on an island out there. He'll have help. And if he seems unable to get the job done, we have a legit veteran QB able to step in. It's really the best safety net he could ask for. Low expectations and a starting quality QB behind him, just in case.

I don't expect Matt to throw every snap anyways. Just get his feet good and wet and let him learn.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#17 » by Liqourish » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Just a quick update, the first preseason game is Saturday at 4pm, not Sunday at 4 pm.

Return to Detroit Lions