ImageImageImageImage

GM/Coach?

Moderator: theBigLip

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,220

GM/Coach? 

Post#1 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:57 pm

So after the worst season in the history of the NFL, it makes sense to clean house. The Lions finally got rid of Millen, who everyone agrees was a problem, in the middle of the season. Now they've fired Marinelli (I appreciated his attitude, but you've got to go when you bring your son-in-law in and together you can't win a single game).

So, what next?

Rumors via Peter King and Wire Tap hypothesize on Parcells coming to Detroit. That's more respectability than we've seen thus far in our front office. Personally, I don't see Parcells coming here, though. He's currently in retirement-ville in Miami....Why come up to Detroit to a team that's been an organizational mess their entire history? I'd certainly welcome Parcells, but even if he does come, he doesn't seem to stay in one place too long.

Assuming we don't get Parcells, are there any GMs or other front office people we would want to go after? Do we continue with what we've got and see how they perform without Millen making the final decisions? We did pull off that nice Roy Williams trade...

And how about coaches? I think Cowher tops most teams' want lists, but he seems willing to forgo the NFL if there aren't any situations to his liking. I'm doubtful that he'd have any interest in Detroit.

Mangini also just got fired today, and he's probably the coach most deserving of another chance. I don't think he really deserved to get fired and if he learns from whatever coaching mistakes he made, he could be a good choice.

I don't know much about other choices out there. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the Lions took a leap on a guy like Brian Kelly if no other choices fit the bill. It's hard to get worse than they are now, and a creative choice would at least be interesting.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
mastertang
Senior
And1: 3

Re: GM/Coach? 

Post#2 » by mastertang » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 am

Wow... the Broncos fired Mike Shanahan today, I'd love him here.
ctabaczy
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ctabaczy » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:21 am

mayphew, and Leggone will botch this too
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 am