ImageImageImageImage

Training camp chatter

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Training camp chatter 

Post#1 » by Icness » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

Already Jeff Backus and Dewayne White have thrown down, and from what I understand it was much more than your typical fight--lots of actual punches, lots of genuine venom. Nice to see Backus actually cares about something besides his paycheck.

Kevin Smith has been consistently impressive.

Good battle developing behind Bodden and Kelly for the nickel and dime CB spots.

Dan Orlovsky has "blown past" Drew Stanton for the backup QB gig. From what I've heard Stanton would be in real danger of being cut were he not drafted so high. Thanks for that Millen :banghead:
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

Re: Training camp chatter 

Post#2 » by ChronicKerr » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Stanton was at that wedding I went to in E.L. a couple weekends ago. He kept saying all night that we was going to drink "a little" because he was 8 pounds over his weight, and if he didn't lose it by that upcoming Wednesday he was going to get fined $400 per pound he was over, per day he was over. Needless to say, by the end of the night, at the shark, he was getting sh itfaced and pounding drinks from people he didn't know. If that's not a Lions' QB I don't know what is.

Actually, I'm quoting a friend who went to MSU with myself so I didn't actually talk to him but this was his email to me today after I sent him ur training camp update about him losing the backup job to orlovsky
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:06 am

I'm not surprised at that story, not at all.

Tuesday was a great look at how this team is going to perform. The highlights:

Calvin Johnson is simply uncoverable. He beat Kelly, he destroyed Ramzee Robinson, he found the holes in the zone with no effort at all. Try to jam him and he throws you down. Give him a big cushion and he can still toast you deep, and he's got 3-4 inches on even the tallest CBs in the league. Now that he's healthy, the only thing that will keep him from being an absolute star is his QB and the plays called.

Manny Ramirez has improved immeasurably from last year, when he couldn't take more than a half step to either side without looking at his feet. He has clearly worked hard on his lateral agility and his aerobic conditioning and the coaches have noticed. So has Stephen Peterman, who could very well lose his job to Ramirez. Manny was asked what he could bench just as an aside, and he said 3 reps at 550 pounds without blinking an eye. Dude is freaking massive!

Shaun Cody is all business, nice change for him. It looks like he might finally be useful. He flashed good leverage and some giddyup when he lined up at RDE.

The Dewayne White-Jeff Backus feud continues, with Marinelli's blessing. One Lions beatie said aloud to nobody in particular that it almost seems like White was ordered to attack Backus and get him fired up. Looked that way to me too. White looks real good BTW.

Kevin Smith is impressing everyone, from his teammates to the national media there. Pat Kirwin of Sirius NFL radio (former Jets GM) could not believe what he saw in Smith, who he wasn't real impressed with headed here. Kirwin favorably compared him to a young Corey Dillon. Clifton Brown of the Sporting News thought he was watching Clinton Portis. He runs kind of upright but he just absorbs contact and keeps rolling, and if he catches an edge he's gone.

The linebackers sure look like a real problem area. Ernie Sims is out until mid-August, and without him the LBs range from real green (Dizon) to real bad (Teddy Lehman, back for more). The best of the lot was Buster Davis, but he's not very fast and looks like a midget when he's dropping in coverage.

Kitna looked fit and the arm looked live.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#4 » by srt4b » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:26 am

Good stuff, thanks for the post.

Got to get into football mode soon!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Sat Aug 9, 2008 2:46 pm

As a UCF season ticket holder, I can tell you that Smith is the real deal.

He uses his blockers much in the way that Emmitt Smith did. He does not run as low as ES, but is faster.

He gets every yard he should, and may be one of the best zone blocking RB's in the league already.

If he stays healthy he's gonna pile up a lot of yards.....just keep giving him the ball, he gets A LOT better as the game goes on.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Sat Aug 9, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks Ice, keep up the updates, i find them very interesting
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by ChronicKerr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:48 pm

It's been two weeks. Any more updates??
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by ChronicKerr » Tue Sep 2, 2008 2:46 pm

The lions sign Rudi!!!

That seems to be an end all for Tatum. I wonder how the carries are going to shake up between K. Smith and Rudi. I'd except Smith to star thte first few weeks getting the vast majority of the carries but goal line carries seem like they're going to Rudi.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3564050
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Post#9 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Sep 2, 2008 3:24 pm

As a UCF alum, I can also vouch that Smith is the real deal. Great instincts and a real tough guy.
aka: prorl
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Tue Sep 2, 2008 4:54 pm

ChronicKerr wrote:The lions sign Rudi!!!

That seems to be an end all for Tatum. I wonder how the carries are going to shake up between K. Smith and Rudi. I'd except Smith to star thte first few weeks getting the vast majority of the carries but goal line carries seem like they're going to Rudi.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3564050

Not a bad signing, i just hope Smith still gets a goodly amount of carries. I had Smith in fantasy too, so this sucks for that
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#11 » by m23uza1hem36 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 pm

^^

Smith got more carries then Johnson, Johnson doesn't look in sync yet.
Follow @mouzaihem

Return to Detroit Lions