ImageImageImageImage

Game 5: Eagles vs Beagles

Moderator: theBigLip

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Game 5: Eagles vs Beagles 

Post#1 » by TSE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 am

This is a big game with an Eagles team that has been struggling lately and now is the time for us to step up with a bigger bite and at least play this game like dogs, if not like lions instead of pussycats. In other news Dominic Raiola gave an interview this week acting upset about all of the people complaining about the team saying that the fans should be more specific with their complaints. I guess he doesn't read RealGM where everything that's wrong with the team gets mentioned up in here!

So since Raiola doesn't have much time to research and pay attention to the pulse of his and other Lion fans, hopefully that means he's focused on the game and prepared to show some bark on the field. Huge game, and we need to take advantage of Vick while he's on a rough slide so we can get back on track.

What kind of attitude will we show up with on Sunday?
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Re: Game 5: Eagles vs Beagles 

Post#2 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Eagles VS Cubs is another idea lol

Two words Special Teams and turnovers will decide this game and every game for the rest of the year,
If the lions win these two and in most remaining games they play , they will make the playoffs
TSE
Banned User

Post#3 » by TSE » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Well Cubs doesn't rhyme with Eagles! Plus I wanted to segue to being like a cute puppy dog entering the game with hopes that we can grow into a beast by the end of the 4th quarter. There's no doubt we are the most "adorable" team in the league. Everybody wants to pet us right now, we're sooo cute. I say it's time to bite them on the hand and attack!!! I'm a fun loving free spirit, but when I get riled up by competition I'm an evil and vicious killer that shows no mercy. I play to take the fun out of the game for the opponent and to squash their spirit, to me that's fun! I take it as an offense when an opponent even bothers to show up at gametime to try and beat me, that's an insult when they act like they think they have a chance. Didn't you learn a lesson from what happened to the last team that tried to do that? Crazy fools get what they deserve if they are looking for a fight they don't belong in.

Yeah I agree this next pair of games is especially important, and I like our chances to if we can win them both. Turnovers is one of the weakest areas of our team, it usually is, but this year again we are struggling. That's just another byproduct problem of not being an opportunistic defense playing under the right scheme with the right types of players.

Look at the INT rankings so far this year from top to bottom:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... onType=REG

Is that not disgusting or what? Who is going or who was going to get the INTs for us? Jacob Lacey, Drayton Florence? What a crock of CB crap. Forced fumbles is not good either, but pretty much every element of our game could use some improvement.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I really don't like the matchups here. LeSean McCoy is the perfect kind of RB to attack the Lions, a speedy guy that can bounce a run outside after cutting on a dime. Backside contain is imperative and other than a couple of times where KVB has done it, the Lions are terrible at staying home & disciplined. Desean Jackson after the catch scares the hell out of me. Brent Celek in the red zone scares the hell out of me. Vick getting the edge scares me.

The thing is, if Stafford plays 60 minutes of good football I think the Lions can win. Vick is good for at least one ridiculous turnover. If the Lions can turn those possessions where the ball is between the 50 and the red zone into touchdowns instead of long Hanson FGs, I actually like the Lions to win. I wouldn't bet on it though.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#5 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:40 am

Every time Suh has time off he gets into trouble,he needs to have a body guard just to watch himself.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#6 » by Icness » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Lions rank t-2nd in the league in surrendering passing plays longer than 20 yards. They've given up 8. The league leader? Philadelphia, with 16. Bet the over, folks...
TSE
Banned User

Post#7 » by TSE » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Icness wrote:Lions rank t-2nd in the league in surrendering passing plays longer than 20 yards. They've given up 8. The league leader? Philadelphia, with 16. Bet the over, folks...

I really should wait for your writeups before I pick my games in the NFL contest here. Feel free to send me any of your recommendations any time you want! I don't have time to research all these matchups and pick the games, I figured I would just throw out my picks and if the last 2 weeks of the season I'm close then I would really dig into analyzing the games hardcore which you probably already do.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:48 pm

the penalty #s are absuuuuurd
TSE
Banned User

Post#9 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Well that was one ugly football game for a litany of reasons; fortunately we came away with the victory. We are now back into position of having a fighting chance, but we still have a lot of issues to address if we want to make the playoffs. Next week is going to be another critical game, and as long as we have CJ and Jason Hanson we have a good shot to pull out the victory!
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#10 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Hey guys, missed the game , can someone give me a summary of the good and bad. how did our secondary look and D overall. etc
TSE
Banned User

Post#11 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm gonna have to pass on this one, it was an emotional ordeal watching with my dad, who was almost crying at the end of the 4th quarter, he almost didn't have the heart to even watch the OT period and actually attempted to walk out of the room. I really don't have much good to say and would only provide a laundry list of ugly criticisms and I figured it wouldn't be constructive to rain on the parade of getting out of their with a victory, so I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut about this one and move on. There will be plenty of recaps available from the writers I'm sure which will fill you in on the details, and maybe Ice can help out with some recap.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 am

TSE wrote:I'm gonna have to pass on this one, it was an emotional ordeal watching with my dad, who was almost crying at the end of the 4th quarter, he almost didn't have the heart to even watch the OT period and actually attempted to walk out of the room. I really don't have much good to say and would only provide a laundry list of ugly criticisms and I figured it wouldn't be constructive to rain on the parade of getting out of their with a victory, so I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut about this one and move on. There will be plenty of recaps available from the writers I'm sure which will fill you in on the details, and maybe Ice can help out with some recap.

:lol:

The mind f* of being a Lion's fan
TSE
Banned User

Post#13 » by TSE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 am

Well it's not so much that I'm tapped out, but I don't want to risk ruining everybody's fun and have them get upset that even in victory I have nothing but complaints. I've already endured so much pain from being a Lion's fan that nothing could really happen to shatter my world beyond the lowest points I have already been to in the past.

But since I am on a somber note I will end with a positive note that at least it's nice to have Delmas back and he did contribute positively, so that's something good to build off of.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#14 » by ajaX82 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Hey guys, missed the game , can someone give me a summary of the good and bad. how did our secondary look and D overall. etc

Pretty brutal game overall. Pretty much what the last year or two has been like, where we come out sluggish and don't do dick for 3 quarters and make a furious, improbable comeback to win.

LeShore was very good. Stafford was very bad for the first 3, decent in 4th and OT. Red zone offense is still a huge concern, as it appears impossible to actually punch the ball in. D-line was excellent, with constant pressure. Secondary was up and down. TSE was right, Delmas was active and all over the place. Penalties were rampant and embarrassing. Hanson was clutch as usual
TSE
Banned User

Post#15 » by TSE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:11 am

95% of my disgust was with the coaching staff of the Lions, particularly Schwartz and Linehan (and of course Mayhew because he's responsible for them). The only player who was a significant goat in this game was Stafford, notwithstanding some of the penalties. I mean Raiola got really pissed off at one point about an OL penalty, but he had committed one himself earlier in the game and then he acted like it was unbelievable that somebody else could make a mistake, but that's a minor issue compared to the big problems from the top down.

Jim did everything he could do to lose this game and still won, and he probably has no clue as to what he's even doing wrong.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#16 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:47 am

ajaX82 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Hey guys, missed the game , can someone give me a summary of the good and bad. how did our secondary look and D overall. etc

Pretty brutal game overall. Pretty much what the last year or two has been like, where we come out sluggish and don't do dick for 3 quarters and make a furious, improbable comeback to win.

LeShore was very good. Stafford was very bad for the first 3, decent in 4th and OT. Red zone offense is still a huge concern, as it appears impossible to actually punch the ball in. D-line was excellent, with constant pressure. Secondary was up and down. TSE was right, Delmas was active and all over the place. Penalties were rampant and embarrassing. Hanson was clutch as usual

:lol: glad to know the mods are human

From what it sounds like i'm glad i didn't wake up at 3 in the morning to watch it, as i would be pissed for most of the game only to squeak out a victory. i was happy to read that the Lions were able to get 2 sacks in OT meaning our D actually did something. To only almost lose the game again with Logan fumbling.

One thing that consistently pisses me off is how stafford sux until backs against the wall and then decides to be the QB we drafted him to be.

How the hell are we bad in the red zone? with all the weapons we have. if were going to kick a field goal, i'd rather we just run the ball for 3 downs and try to punch it in. if that doesn't work then give it to jason
TSE
Banned User

Post#17 » by TSE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:57 am

Oh wow that fumble by Logan was amazing. There was an army of Eagles, and the ball got pinned under his back at one point then randomly popped up as he rolled over and landed in his gut with a fraction of a second to spare like as if it was magnetized. It was unbelievable luck and quite a sight!
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#18 » by Icness » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

It was a sloppy game that neither team had any business winning. Once again Stafford was horrible until the final 6 minutes, when he looked like John Elway and Peyton Manning wrapped into one. 16 penalties, and the Eagles declined two others, but Philly had a player ejected in crunch time after Cherilus (of all people) baited him into a retaliation/frustration punch.

Actually the Lions D played very well and that is probably going to get overlooked. Delmas made a huge impact vs. the run, glad to see him back. Jonte Green filled in better than expected once Bentley got hurt. Suh had his best game of the year. Avril had a strong game. Tulloch was everywhere. The Maclin TD was really the only play where it was a major defensive lapse, and I love how the team responded to it.

But it killed me to watch (and listen in the car for the first 20 mins) how lethargic and undisciplined the Lions were out of the gate. Again. Coming out of a bye week that crap is inexcusable. I really hope the beat writers grill Schwartz HARD on why he cannot get his team ready to play or fix the chronic mistakes that continually plague this team.
TSE
Banned User

Post#19 » by TSE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Even worse was not managing the last minute of the clock such that even with 5 seconds from the 1 yard line on 3rd down we are kicking a FG instead of attempting to win it right there. Not only could we still have ran a 3-4 second play (which is guaranteed safe if you use your head especially from the 1 yard line), but we blew lots of opportunities to manage the clock well. Our clock mngmt skills need some work.

Not to mention if he's going to kick the FG he could have at least used 3rd down to spike a couple seconds off the clock so we didn't have to give the Eagles a free kick return. Unbelievable, yet stuff like this happens every week.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#20 » by Icness » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm

TSE wrote:Even worse was not managing the last minute of the clock such that even with 5 seconds from the 1 yard line on 3rd down we are kicking a FG instead of attempting to win it right there. Not only could we still have ran a 3-4 second play (which is guaranteed safe if you use your head especially from the 1 yard line), but we blew lots of opportunities to manage the clock well. Our clock mngmt skills need some work.

Not to mention if he's going to kick the FG he could have at least used 3rd down to spike a couple seconds off the clock so we didn't have to give the Eagles a free kick return. Unbelievable, yet stuff like this happens every week.

I wouldn't have risked running a play there, too many bad things can happen: sack, fumbled snap, corner jumps a route for an INT. Not enough time to throw a fade, not on the road with a jumpy clock keeper.

The clock management that ticked me off was at the end of the first half. Lions got the ball back at their own 20 with just over a minute left. Three straight quick incompletions gave the ball back to the Eagles with 40 seconds left and a chance to score again and they didn't have to use any timeouts. You HAVE to run the ball on 3rd down there to eat some clock or burn their timeout. Schwartz got lucky there that Vick couldn't do anything with the opportunity.

Return to Detroit Lions