ImageImageImageImage

The Detroit Lions have signed undrafted Boise State quarterb

Moderator: theBigLip

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

The Detroit Lions have signed undrafted Boise State quarterb 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:35 am

They finally got the QB i have been waiting for.

In addition, the Lions have signed Elon guard Rodney Austin (6-foot-3 and 308 pounds),

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ellen.html
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: The Detroit Lions have signed undrafted Boise State quar 

Post#2 » by TSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:40 am

Sweet, I wanted Moore too. The kid has some gumption to him. He'll be very good as a wasted inactive every week that we fail to develop. hehe

There's a few other interesting QBs out there, would like to see them snag one more to compete with him for that spot though and take the best that wins the job during the preseason. There should be plenty of reps considering Stafford doesn't need to play hardly at all, he needs to keep that bench warm where he's safe.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Moore was 50-3 as a college starter at Boise State. Last season, Moore was 326-of-439 (74.3 percent) for 3,800 yards, nine interceptions and a career-best 43 touchdowns. In 2010 as a junior, Moore was 273-of-383 (71.3 percent) for a career-high 3,845 yards, 35 touchdowns and six interceptions. He finished fourth in the Heisman voting (first Bronco ever invited to the ceremony). Moore also earned First Team All-American and All-WAC honors.

In Moore's four-year career, he threw for 14,374 yards, 140 touchdowns and 26 interceptions.

His TD to Int is unbelivable he could go after hill for the 2 quarterback spot.
At the beginning of the college season, Moore was highly rated above Tannehill and others. Only 6-0 he isn't too tall but either was Brees.
I'm betting that Kellen Moore won't be third stringer for long. He is one of the savviest college football players out there.
I like Moore better than picks 3 - 7.

h Oh! I smell a quarterback controversy!!!!!

The pickup of Moore is the greatest steal of the draft for the Lions hands down
There isn't a QB in this draft that can match Kellen's preparation or football knowledge.Mark my word. Kid's an animal.

By the way, Kellen Moore lost those three games by a total of 5 points, not the 7 that was quoted during the draft. He lost 17-16 to TCU in 2008 at the Poinsettia Bowl, 34-31 to Nevada in OT after his kicker missed a 26yd. FG that would have won it in regulation, and lost 36-35 again to TCU after his kicker missed a 39yd. FG that would have won it at the end of regulation. If those kickers make two make-able FGs, he could have been 52-1 instead of 50-3.

I was very surprised that no one picked him up. This shows that Mayhew and Schwartz know what they're doing, signing him right after the draft ended. Moore was a great college QB and I'm glad he is on the Lions.

According to Nepatriotsdraft.com the lions have signed or agreed to sign:
Derek Dimke, K, Illinois
Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
Patrick Edwards, WR, Houston
Rodney Austin, OG, Elon
Carmen Messina, LB, New Mexico

Lions UDFAs so far

Derek Dimke, K, Illinois
Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
Patrick Edwards, WR, Houston
J.C. Oram, OG, Weber St
Rodney Austin, OG, Elon
Carmen Messina, LB, New Mexico
Ronnie Sneed, ILB, Kentucky
Quinn Barham, OL, Penn St
Jared Karstetter, WR, Washington St
Michael Cosgrove, DT, Idaho
Monte Lewis, DE, Jacksonville St

Kellen Moore has a huge upside and it did not cost the Lions a pick. He has alot more potential than Stanton .Moore has more than enough arm strength to make NFL throws. Lions fans are going to love his intangibles and the way he can break down a defense. He's a true pocket passer and a lot of fun to watch!
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ellen.html
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by TSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Wow great post! I was just getting my computer warmed up to search for our UDFA news and of course the first place I find it is here on RealGM. Not bad when a forum board becomes the quickest way to get breaking news! :) This is the best forum board out there for sports it's such a shame that more people don't know about it yet.

I agree with you about Moore, I just like having natural winners on the team. Moore is smart to choose the Lions since we only have 2 QBs on the roster. The QB controversy could heat up pretty quick if Stafford gets hurt, or traded. With the prices teams were paying for what they want I would love to know what kind of haul some team would have paid up to get a proven guy like Stafford. Dang, I guess we'll never know but we can always gossip about it here, nobody minds right? LOL

I think the steal of the draft is Burfict because he will have a much greater chance of seeing the field before Moore, but for our picks this is definitely a value pick since the cost was nothing. I was hoping for David Molk and James Brown to make it as well as that could have been truly the best value to help compete for our interior OL spots. We have new young competition pretty much at every position so hopefully some of these new OG UDFAs have something to say about that.

Oh and I did see that Gruden QB camp session with Moore, he's pretty likable, but not as likable as Gruden is of course. I love that show and that man. ;)
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#5 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:47 am

nice
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#6 » by Piston Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

Anyone actually expect him to stick as our #3 QB?
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#7 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Anyone actually expect him to stick as our #3 QB?

He won't be a 3rd string QB for long, sooner or later he will be moving up the ladder.

Shan Hill and Stafford better be watching their back for an up and coming star.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#8 » by Lionlifer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Anyone actually expect him to stick as our #3 QB?

The oddds aren't in his favor due to size/arm strength concerns, but the kid can flat out win, so in my mind theres a chance. My only real concern is that he played some teams that weren't on the same level as what he would have seen in a power conference, which likely padded his numbers.

UDFA's are normally a long shot, but I think that he could be a Number 2 behind Stafford in a few years.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,191

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Kellmellus, I'm interested in your opinion:

We are only allowed to keep 1 of Stafford or Kellen Moore for the rest of their career. Who do you take?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#10 » by Rodya » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm

GenshiYagyu wrote:Kellmellus, I'm interested in your opinion

:lol:
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#11 » by Icness » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Colt McCoy was a great winner in college. Two of the guys Moore passed high on the list are Colt Brennan and David Greene. How'd their NFL careers turn out? And Moore doesn't have the arm or size of any of those guys.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#12 » by ajaX82 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Guys we have signed as UDFA (unofficial list naturally)

QB Kellen Moore (Boise State)
RB Stephfon Green (Penn State)
WR Patrick Edwards (Houston)
WR Jared Karstetter (Washington State)
WR Troy Burrell (Wayne State)
TE Alex Gottlieb (William & Mary)
TE Austin Wells (Northern Iowa)
OL Pat Boyle (Temple)
OT Quinn Barham (Penn State)
OG Rodney Austin (Elon)
OG J.C. Oram (Weber State)
DT Michael Cosgrove (Idaho)
DT Edmon McClam (Old Dominion)
LB Carmen Messina (New Mexico)
LB Ronnie Sneed (Kentucky)
CB Alonzo Lawrence (Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College)
S Sam Proctor (Oklahoma)
K Derek Dimke (Illinois)

Any names of interest we should be aware of, Ice or others?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#13 » by Icness » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Patrick Edwards can fly, absolute speed burner with experience working out of the slot. Has suffered two bad leg injuries and fumbles a lot, which is why he went undrafted. Will complete for Stefan Logan's spot.

Alex Gottlieb could be a nice find. I watched a couple of W&M games looking at other guys and he stood out.

One draftnik who happens to be an Elon grad realy talked up Austin, liked him as a 6th round pick. Can't say I'm familiar enough with his work to properly evaluate.

McClam made one really nice splash sack in a ODU game I watched for the purpose of scouting his linemate Ronnie Cameron. He blocked 6 kicks in two seasons, real long 6'6" 280ish guy with long arms. Struck me as more of a 3-4 DE than 4-3 guy but he's got a shot.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#14 » by kellmellus50 » Tue May 1, 2012 12:54 am

GenshiYagyu wrote:Kellmellus, I'm interested in your opinion:

We are only allowed to keep 1 of Stafford or Kellen Moore for the rest of their career. Who do you take?

We are allowed to keep 3 on roster so let them all play and make the best one your starter.

Stafford is injury prone and is not very mobile, but can throw for 5,000 yards.
He will start the season and maybe get injured sometime during the season, i am hoping Kellen moore will replace him and lead us into the playoffs.

Shaun King old and is suited for back up role (2-3)

Kellen Moore has a very high upside but we still have to wait and see him develop against NFL Defences. and is more mobile than stafford, but of coarse has to prove himself.
I Believe he will pick them apart with ease,but lets wait and see.Very smart QB rearly throws INT's
Giving the starting role i believe he can also throw for 5,000 yards in a season. with the same recievers.

Botton line it is too early to pick between Stafford and Kellen we have to wait to see how this plays out but go ahead and ask me next year after we see more of Kellen Moore.

You may think i am crazy for being a kellen moore fan and you all thought i was crazy saying the lions would draft a WR early and they did in the 2nd round.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#15 » by DocRI » Tue May 1, 2012 5:03 am

kellmellus50 wrote:Stafford is injury prone and is not very mobile, but can throw for 5,000 yards.
He will start the season and maybe get injured sometime during the season, i am hoping Kellen moore will replace him and lead us into the playoffs.

Being a Kellen Moore fan is one thing; in fact, I really like the kid and I'm glad the Lions are giving him an opportunity. That said, wishing injury upon any player is just wrong; wishing injury upon your own 24 year old franchise QB? Yeah, I'm not sure there's a word for that ...

kellmellus50 wrote:Giving the starting role i believe he can also throw for 5,000 yards in a season. with the same recievers.

Botton line it is too early to pick between Stafford and Kellen we have to wait to see how this plays out but go ahead and ask me next year after we see more of Kellen Moore.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page here, only four QBs have thrown for 5K yards in a season in NFL history — Dan Marino, Drew Brees (twice), Tom Brady, and Matthew Stafford. Again, I get being a fan of a kid, but saying Kellen Moore, an undrafted rookie, is gonna join that club is like tagging some low-level Single A baseball prospect to hit 600 career HRs. Actually, I take that back — eight hitters have clubbed 600 HRs, so that list is literally twice as long as the "5K QB Club."

Again, please let me be clear — I'm thrilled we signed Moore, and I'd love to see him beat the odds ... and eventually replace Hill as Stafford's back up. That would be a HUGE accomplishment for him, and it would save the Lions a pretty penny towards the salary cap, too. But let's not get crazy with hyperbole here. Stafford's the man, and there's no QB controversy; knock on wood, we shouldn't hope to see ANY of Kellen Moore next year outside of preseason games and extreme mop-up duty.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#16 » by kellmellus50 » Tue May 1, 2012 11:57 am

Stafford been injured 2 out of 3 seasons ,so that stands for reason that it could happen again.
Stafford also threw 2 int's in the playoff game against N.O. that killed us.Brees int's =0

All i am saying that there are better QB's out there than Stafford and someday giving that chance
Kellen Moore could be that player he is like drew brees with a killer short passing game.

Example Kellen TD to INT = 5.4 to 1 (college)

Stafford TD to int = 2.5 to 1 (pro) in playoffs, team with the most int's usally will lose the game.

Last season Kellen only got sacked 9 times= quick footed keeps plays alive 2010 season only =5

Stafford got sacked 36 times = very slow footed this is another big problem
Stafford takes a long time to deciede who he is going to pass too and usally telegraphs it.

I am a loyal Lions fan but i see stafford differantly he is not all that if you get what i mean.
Stafford reminds me of Scott Michell and you know what happened to him.

Kellen Moore reminds me of Drew Brees and he won 2 superbowls.See the differance.
sometimes doing the little things like short passing game and no int's + quick footed wins superbowls

Kellen Moore will not force passes into bad spots to avoid pressure and is adept at checking down to a safety-valve receiver when no downfield route is open. Moore is consistently accurate on throws under 10 yards. He does a good job of leading receivers so they can catch the ball in stride.

In addition to his intelligence, Moore is a good athlete who can get outside the pocket to make accurate throws on the move or scramble for first downs.

What's not to like? 50-3 as a starter. No other college quarter back has come close and no other will for a long time and the arm strength question is wrong....can and has thrown it 65 yrds in the air. Arm strength is greatly improved. Just didn't have the flyer to do it with this season.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1tcanTLU9
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#17 » by Icness » Tue May 1, 2012 1:10 pm

You have to consider what Stafford would have done in Moore's situation at Boise though. Look at Moore's predecessors at Boise. That was Jared Zabranksy.

He went 33-4 as a starter in his three years, including a perfect season in 2006. He had a much better arm than Moore and didn't ever throw a pass to an NFL receiver (Moore had 3). He was mobile; Moore is most certainly not. Moore had just 11 carries in 4 years that resulted in positive yardage while Zabransky had 16 runs of at least 10 yards, including an 85-yarder on a double reverse. Moore has better accuracy by about 5 percentage points but his yards per attempt are 1.4 YPA less than Zabransky, i.e. he threw shorter and safer passes. Zabransky's red herring was INTs, and Moore does a great job of protecting the football.

Anyways, Zabransky couldn't survive one camp with the Texans to be their #3. He's been a backup in Edmonton for the past couple of seasons. IMO Moore will be lucky to have that much of a career. Root for him to do well but don't expect it.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#18 » by reeDfense » Tue May 1, 2012 3:48 pm

Icness wrote:You have to consider what Stafford would have done in Moore's situation at Boise though. Look at Moore's predecessors at Boise. That was Jared Zabranksy.

He went 33-4 as a starter in his three years, including a perfect season in 2006. He had a much better arm than Moore and didn't ever throw a pass to an NFL receiver (Moore had 3). He was mobile; Moore is most certainly not. Moore had just 11 carries in 4 years that resulted in positive yardage while Zabransky had 16 runs of at least 10 yards, including an 85-yarder on a double reverse. Moore has better accuracy by about 5 percentage points but his yards per attempt are 1.4 YPA less than Zabransky, i.e. he threw shorter and safer passes. Zabransky's red herring was INTs, and Moore does a great job of protecting the football.

Anyways, Zabransky couldn't survive one camp with the Texans to be their #3. He's been a backup in Edmonton for the past couple of seasons. IMO Moore will be lucky to have that much of a career. Root for him to do well but don't expect it.

i can feel the hate...biased much?..Moore will be fine...i personally dont think his arm is half as bad as most people paint it out to be..he has a very high football IQ and 9 times out of 10 wont make a bad decision and is always prepared...i bet you LOVED Tannehill didnt you?..yeah lets see how that works out...SMH...oh and can we get off of the whole size thing?..its become rather annoying..
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#19 » by ajaX82 » Tue May 1, 2012 5:11 pm

I can't believe we are really having this big a talk about Kellen Moore. I think he is a nice #3 for us and given his smarts and football IQ should be good for practice at least. I also think he could work his way up to a decent backup in the league, though he seems to be more of a fit for a West Coast Offense than our offense. I knew he didn't have a good arm but I'm surprised at how bad Jeff is saying it is. I think he could carve out a niche ala Chad Pennington (not saying he becomes as good, just that he sticks with a bad arm), but he is more the exception than the rule I realize.

The realistic best thing that could happen is he looks good in practice and the preseason, progresses and becomes a strong #2 or we flip him for picks. If he plays a single snap this year than we are either murdering teams or our season is completely ****ed.

I really don't have an issue with the signing, but I won't be sad if he gets cut. He'll be an interesting camp story, along with our major position battles.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#20 » by reeDfense » Tue May 1, 2012 10:54 pm

Im not saying hes gonna come out and take staffords job at all..im just saying that he could turn out to be decent #1 some day...possibly on the same level to what alex smith produced this last season.

Return to Detroit Lions