Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

7 years, 132 million. whoa
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Calvin gets an Extension 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Record for a WR. Damn it's pricey but Stafford to CJ for the next 7 is pretty damn exciting

It actually drops his cap number this year too. Maybe we can snag Tulloch with the extra money
FlipTSO
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#3 » by FlipTSO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Siefert is saying its the highest contract in NFL history for any position.

Awesome. Stoked to have Megatron locked up for the rest of his prime!

I wasn't concerned at all that we wouldnt, but great to see it in stone.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 pm

It's a really nice deal, for everyone.

-- Calvin gets the biggest contract ever, and alot of guaranteed money.
-- The Lions get him locked up long term, and much added capspace to help them re-sign other guys.

It really is the best of both worlds as a Lions fan.
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#5 » by kevin44 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

You guys are crazy to give him that kind of money. That's more than a franchise QB.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#6 » by TSE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 pm

We should have hammered him at $130M. Ok CJ, how about this, here are two rooms, one room here has 132 million in cash, and this other room has 130 million. If you can walk into these rooms and explore and within 30 seconds tell me which one of these has the 132 million, then you can have the extra 2 million. He'd just have to guess and hope to get lucky lol.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#7 » by Icness » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Still waiting for a legit breakdown of the contract details but it's a massive deal even for such a talent. I applaud the Lions for getting it done now and I hope they use the cap money saved this year to help infuse some talent. But at some point this deal is going to absolutely cripple the team and mean some seriously painful cuts. Hopefully it's after 2014 when the new TV money comes in and the cap grows by some 10%.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
TSE
Banned User

Post#8 » by TSE » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 am

Nah, in 5 years the cap will be like a billion, unemployment may be at 20% but NFL ballers will keep getting paid more, welcome to the lolUSA! :)
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#9 » by srt4b » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:46 am

kevin44 wrote:You guys are crazy to give him that kind of money. That's more than a franchise QB.

We will see in the next few years if that holds true. CJ is one of the top players in the entire league, no reason he shouldn't get paid like it.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#10 » by Lionlifer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:16 pm

ajaX82 wrote:7 years, 132 million. whoa

I thought SI said it was an 8 year deal, which should help his cap figure a bit, spreading that gaudy sum over 8 years instead of 7.

Either way I am pumped to have him!
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ajaX82 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Lionlifer wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:7 years, 132 million. whoa

I thought SI said it was an 8 year deal, which should help his cap figure a bit, spreading that gaudy sum over 8 years instead of 7.

Either way I am pumped to have him!

It later came out to be an 8 year deal, not a 7 year extension. The last year of his rookie deal is scrapped and we will be going with this, which is how we save the money. Correct me if I'm wrong though
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#12 » by kevin44 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:18 pm

The reason teams don't pay receivers this kind of money is they don't touch the ball every down. You guys will regret this signing just wait & see.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ajaX82 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:40 pm

kevin44 wrote:The reason teams don't pay receivers this kind of money is they don't touch the ball every down. You guys will regret this signing just wait & see.

That's true but I don't think you understand the impact Calvin has on the offense, even without the ball. You can't single cover him; that's a given. So teams are pretty much rolling a safety at him every single offensive play. In the Saints game (I think?) he was pretty much triple-teamed the entire game and had a statistically awful game. But the other guys were running free and had huge games. I know that it's a lot of money for a decoy, but his presence alone opens up so much for the rest of the offense. And that's not even to mention his skills when he does touch the ball...

As a receiver, he can do anything. And do it better than just about anyone else. Go across the middle into traffic and snag it? Done. Run the fly-route and beat everyone deep? Done. Jump ball in the end-zone above everyone's head? Done. Bubble screens and the run after catch? Done. He's the most complete WR in the game. He's too big and too fast for any type of Corner or coverage.

It's his ability to keep defenses honest and to suck coverage away from other assets that is as valuable as his ridiculous catches and unstoppable red-zone presence. Is it a lot of money, yeah. Do I think Stafford to Megatron is the best young QB/WR combo in the game? Absolutely.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#14 » by Lionlifer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 pm

kevin44 wrote:The reason teams don't pay receivers this kind of money is they don't touch the ball every down. You guys will regret this signing just wait & see.

Actually, the reason teams haven't historically paid receivers this much has nothing to do with touches. We haven't seen a WR that can do what he does until now. The man is a freak, a threat to score every down, and the most dominate player at his position, and one of the most dominate in the game.

I'm happy with the signing.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
TSE
Banned User

Post#15 » by TSE » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:49 am

Or he might be the greatest WR in this history of the game. I also don't evaluate players based upon how their team wins because I don't think the Lions know how to get the most value out of CJ considering every year I have been alive, the Lions have failed to get the most out of every single player they ever had. They haven't won ANY SB's with ANY of their players, nor have they traded away their top value players for pieces for the future, they've failed darn near 100% of the time with every high profile player that has ever been a part of this team!!!!!!!!!!!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#16 » by Manocad » Sun Apr 1, 2012 11:36 pm

No we won't.

There. That finishes off that little debate.

Return to Detroit Lions