ImageImageImageImage

Greatest day 1 imaginable, and we DIDN"T spend too much

snazel
Freshman
And1: 3

Greatest day 1 imaginable, and we DIDN"T spend too much 

Post#1 » by snazel » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:27 am

If you would have asked me this morning on landing a dream draft, it wouldn't have been as good as what happened today. This is beyond a dream draft. However, I'm still hearing from others that are saying we offered too many picks. There is a simple point you are missing as to why we got an absolute DEAL of a flat out DREAM DRAFT today.

We drafted two top 5 players at LT and QB, landed a first round talent at CB, and gave up only a first rder next yr and our 4th rder this year, because we still walked out of day 1 with THREE PLAYERS. Thats the key - three players and only a first rder next season and a 4th this year were lost, along with a 6th rd swappage. Personally I like Quinn more than any of the QB prospects coming out next season (Brohm, Henne, etc), and we get the benefits of signing him to a smaller contract at #22 AND Phil/Romeo don't have to pressure him to start day one at QB, whereas if Frye doesn't work out this yr we'd be forced to draft a QB next season, and we'd in a pressure-cooked situation to start a rookie early. All in all, this is essentially my dream draft, and it basically came through with flying colors for an absolute bargain. I'm still ecstatic...

EDIT: And to add, if we haven't have pulled the trigger on Quinn, he would be a Raven, as he was on the phone with the Ravens and they told him they will move up and draft him, but we swooped up with Dallas instead of KC.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#2 » by LoveThemCavs » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:34 am

I was just fine with all the trades, but I don't like the Eric Wright pick. No need trading away even more picks. Overall, I'm happy with it. But it's hardly the best draft possible for us either.
snazel
Freshman

Post#3 » by snazel » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 am

In theory we only gave up a 4th rder for Wright and a swappage of 6th. Sure, technically it was our 3rd and 4th, but he was our third player selected (three rds day one = three players day one..and we walked out with three), so the only pick that was really lost was our 4th rder. I thought Wright was an excellent pick. I think he was easily a first rd talent, and I think he's close to being as good a CB as Hall or Revis, maybe even better - and he's got Punt return skills to boot.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#4 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:51 am

Actually I don't think that trading away a third fourth and switching sixth picks is that bad to move into the second if it's a player that you really want. I can only assume that Savage believed that someone was going to go after Wright before our pick in the third.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#5 » by LoveThemCavs » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:55 am

the incidents for Wright worry me more than anything else snazel. You make a strong case for our picks. I'm glad our fans overall have something to be happy about. I'm not trying to be a party pooper. I want this team to do well too. I think we coulda gotten equal talent like Hughes from California without this trade. I'm not Phil though. That trade for Quinn was enough for me is all.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#6 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:07 am

Well it was actually a single incident and those charges were dropped. I don't really know any more than that, but I"m sure that the Browns did their due dilligence and aren't that concerned about him.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#7 » by L&H_05 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:34 am

I have no problem with Wright...I've loved the last two drafts by Phil...

Savage made some solid selections on defense last year (Kam, DQ, and Leon Williams out of nowhere). And the book is still out on Justin Hamilton.. So I'm not going to really dispute Wright with the defense..

Even though we have not seen Bentley yet, I love how Phil has made an effort to improve the line via FA and this draft.. Bentley/Shaffer/Steinbach/Thomas.

I also look forward to seeing Travis Wilson this season, and seeing if he can develope into a #3 Receiver.. I also look forward to seeing Jerome Harrison a little more as well...
snazel
Freshman

Post#8 » by snazel » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:39 am

L&H_05 wrote:Even though we have not seen Bentley yet, I love how Phil has made an effort to improve the line via FA and this draft.. Bentley/Shaffer/Steinbach/Thomas.

Regarding Bentley, I found this little rumor on another browns board (browns.scout.com) posted by 'faine' who is a frequenter there. He posted this news/rumors about LCB and our picks...

"Guys I got some information from my source (player agent and close personal friend of mine):

--He said we got the best OL, QB and CB in the draft.

--He has a friend on the USC staff, and represents a DB with UNLV and said that there was no case against Wright, he transferred to avoid the suspension and has kept his nose clean ever since.

--He said watching the DBs in the combine, that Wright and Landry were CLEARLY the best DBs of the bunch. Wright had the most fluid hips, and is an elite talent.

--He said that all three players the Browns drafted have pro-bowl potential by year 3 or 4.

--He said that it was a coup that the Browns were able to pull off getting three elite talents at three marquee positions; LT, QB and CB.

--Lastly, and most importantly, he said that LeCharles Bentley was in Columbus working out at Sports Connection, and he told people there that he will be back to partake in the team's mini-camp. Maybe not in May, but in June.

Looking over him, one of the guys asked is he had lost weight. He said no, that he is in the best shape of his life. He currently weighs 326#, he's as strong as ever, and his patella tendon is perfectly fine. It was the staph infection that set him back.

Bentley said, "if I never play again that's fine, but I will play this season".

This is from a credible source, a player agent who I used to work with, and who is currently looking to phase into FO work at some point down the road.

This is all very, very exciting news."
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#9 » by B Mac » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:37 am

First of all, I know I posted it in another thread but I LOVE the Wright pick. He is going to be flat out special and one of the top CB's in the league in a few years. Im shocked we got him honestly.

Now on to the LCB rumor. Ive seen it around on a couple other forums as well. Can you honestly imagine our team if Bentley was able to come back healthy? Our O-line would be scary as hell and they could push the D off the line 2-3 yards off the line every single play. Bentley would still be the most talented lineman on our team even with Thomas' addition. The Browns fan in me wants to say its too good to be true, but the optimist in me is rooting hard that this rumor is even remotely true.
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#10 » by GreenDemon » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:29 am

Yeah things are going to good for the Browns lately it would is hard for me to believe that Bently could come back this year. I dont even know if I will be able to handle the Browns having a good OL that has been a problem for years and it never seemed to get better.

Other then the fourth we traded away today it will be intresting to see where the Browns go with thier remaining picks and wheather they try and trade some of the guys they dont really need anymore to try and get a 4th rounder or another pick. I would be intrested to see if the Browns go after Micheal Bush, since they have a year of Jamal they can handle letting him sit for however long and he could really be a great back espesially as low as they would get him.
NYK_UNLV
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#11 » by NYK_UNLV » Wed May 2, 2007 9:25 am

LoveThemCavs wrote:the incidents for Wright worry me more than anything else snazel. You make a strong case for our picks. I'm glad our fans overall have something to be happy about. I'm not trying to be a party pooper. I want this team to do well too. I think we coulda gotten equal talent like Hughes from California without this trade. I'm not Phil though. That trade for Quinn was enough for me is all.

Wright was trouble free in of all places, Las Vegas. I don't know all the details from the incident at USC, but it seems it was just a "wrong guy at the wrong time" sort of deal. I know I have one reason to cheer for Cleveland this season.

Return to Cleveland Browns