Spikes, Clements, Fletcher out. Who steps in?

bballjones
Sophomore
And1: 0

Spikes, Clements, Fletcher out. Who steps in? 

Post#1 » by bballjones » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:57 pm

I won't pretend like I know alot about the nfl, my sport is definately basketball. But I was wondering if it is nieve of me to be really upset with losing spikes, cklements and fletcher?
Canada Kicks Ass!!
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#2 » by Next Coming » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:31 pm

Losing Nate Clements will definitely hurt us but convential thinking is that because of the Cover 2 scheme CB's aren't valued as they are in other schemes.

I don't buy it and I would've loved to retain Nate Clements but not for the asking price that he wanted.

London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes are huge locker room presences and that might be harder to replace then thier on the field contributions.

Takeo Spikes is still suffering from the achillies injury that sidelined him last year and he doens't particularly fit the system that Dick Jauron and Perry Fewell have installed.

Trading him to the Eagles for Darwin Walker gives us another DT to add to our rotation and saves us a bunch of money that we can use to resign Losman and Evans when they contracts expire in the near future.

Keith Ellison our 6th rd. rookie outplayed Takeo Spikes in the limited time he was given. The coaching staff loves him and he might have that outside LB spot locked up with Spikes departure.

London Fletcher clearly didn't fit our system and he's getting kind of long in the teeth. I'm going to miss him because he was a solid influence in the community and the locker room but I think moving Crowell inside would put us in a better situation in the future.
straightguji
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#3 » by straightguji » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:32 pm

Terrence McGee is decent, and Spikes and Fletcher can easily be replaced in the draft.
sethc13
Veteran

Post#4 » by sethc13 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:14 pm

Replacements = Patrick Willis (MLB), Keith Ellison (WLB), and Ashton Youboty (CB).

We'll be fine.
Kidknick!
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#5 » by Kidknick! » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:32 pm

Whoever is the 1st pick in next years draft because We are gonna stink this year.
sethc13
Veteran

Post#6 » by sethc13 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:14 pm

Kidknick! wrote:Whoever is the 1st pick in next years draft because We are gonna stink this year.

If you watched last year (and know about football), you'd know that the guys we got rid of (with the exception of Clements) underperformed. Spikes wasn't explosive at all. Fletcher made most of his tackles 5 yards or more downfield. McGahee showed an inability to make the big play (and obviously wanted nothing to do with Buffalo).

Ellison (WLB) showed last year that he was better than Spikes at this point of his career. Youboty (CB), according to various draft experts, would have been the 1st or 2nd CB taken in this draft had he stayed at OSU. We will likely be in the position to draft Patrick Willis at #12 and a solid RB in Round 2 (Pittman, Leonard, etc.).

Don't worry about the losses. We are in a fine position for next year.

Return to Buffalo Bills