Baron #2 in Player Rankings

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Baron #2 in Player Rankings 

Post#1 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:46 pm

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/playerran ... rseason/PG

Baron Davis has moved up in the Sportsline player rankings behind Chris Paul and ahead of Nash, Williams, Kidd and Billups. It looks like he's making his All Star push. Let's hope he keeps it up and doesn't suffer any serious setbacks. Should be interesting to see how it goes when we play New Orleans. Paul has really been tearing it up lately. Look forward to seeing the two of them go head.

I'm thinking that if he continues to play this well, he will likely get chosen by the coaching staff even if he's not voted in as the starter (don't think there are any West coaches who'd want to snub him, they'd be asking for some real trouble when we play them).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
turk3d
RealGM

Post#2 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:33 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_ ... ck_check=1

Warriors' Davis is Mr. Clutch in 4th quarter
By Marcus Thompson II
Bay Area News Group
Article Launched: 01/02/2008 01:57:50 AM PST

DALLAS - Baron Davis has a new nickname: Short Game.

The nickname, given to the Warriors point guard by assistant coach Keith Smart, refers to Davis' ability to take over games down the stretch. Davis has been at his best when victory is at stake, especially on the road. Forward Stephen Jackson described it best: "Get the ball to Baron and get out of the way."

Smart said, "When the fourth quarter is on the line, you get the ball to him. He plays below the foul line, he can make plays on (the perimeter). He's a willing passer if he's doubled and he can take advantage of (shooting guards) and (small forwards), let alone (point guards). Baron just understands the game."

Today in Dallas, Davis plays against a team familiar with his clutch play. He hit big shot after big shot in the Warriors' upset of the Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs last season.

Davis is the main reason the Warriors have a chance to sweep a three-game trip for the first time in 15 years. Sunday at Denver and Monday at Houston, he totaled 20 points and seven assists in the fourth quarter as the Warriors outscored the Nuggets 30-23 and the Rockets 37-15.

Davis' statistics only begin to illustrate his importance. They don't detail how many opportunities he creates for others because defenses focus on him. They don't quantify the confidence boost his teammates get in the final minutes when he has the basketball in his hands.

"He does everything," forward Matt Barnes said. "He plays defense. He can guard the other team's best player. He passes with the best, always hits big shots. What else can you do as a player? When it's crunch time, there's no one else you'd rather have on the floor, offensively or defensively."
There's no better point guard in the fourth quarter, the Warriors say. After what Davis did against Dallas in the postseason and his clutch play this season, his teammates have grown accustomed to his late-game heroics.

"I don't get amazed because that's what I expect from him," Jackson said. "I know he can do it. Baron has an imagination out of this world. So when he does something you don't expect, we expect it because we're around him every day (in practice)."

Davis has been in position to take over down the stretch because he has received a bit more rest. Earlier this season, he was third in the NBA in minutes played per game. Now he's 16th - and second on the Warriors behind Jackson.

At the very least, Coach Don Nelson has been sitting Davis out at the end of the third quarter, and sometimes the start of the fourth quarter. Nelson also plays Jackson and Monta Ellis occasionally at point guard, giving Davis some easier minutes at shooting guard.

"Because he's not always involved in the pick and roll, he doesn't wear out by the fourth quarter," Smart said.

With relatively fresh legs under him, Davis said his mindset shifts in the fourth quarter into a takeover mode, especially when the coaches tell him it's time for him to be aggressive.

"Now or never," Davis said. "Barbecue or mildew. That's my mentality."
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,427

Post#3 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:44 pm

If the Warriors go on a big winning tear....then I think the Coaches have no choice but to put perhaps BOTH Baron and Jackson on the team. How cool would that be.....

Looking at the schedule, by the way, it looks like if the Warriors get through this short stretch with a 4-2 type record...then they SHOULD continue to roll in a stretch with a lot of should win scenariors. Warriors could easily go on a 10-2 type run and be at the top of the division record wise.

Anyway....no injuires please..... :wavefinger:

Go WARRIORS!
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,830

Post#4 » by floppymoose » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:00 pm

As things stand now the coaches have to pick him. Who are they going to pick over him?
turk3d
RealGM

Post#5 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:12 pm

floppymoose wrote:As things stand now the coaches have to pick him. Who are they going to pick over him?

I just hope he keeps doin' the do.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:17 pm

Baron DESERVES it, but he probably won't get.

I just have a feeling that the coaches are going to pick Chris Paul over him, All-Star Weekend is in New Orleans anyways. I'm not saying that Chris Paul doesn't deserve it, he does because he's playing out of his mind right now.. it's just that I would pick him for the all-star team next year since he's still young.

Or Baron can get in over Tony Parker or Iverson. But Iverson always has the coaches vote, and Parker will probably get in because the Spurs are so good. But if Parker gets in over Baron, ima be pissed.
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Chris Cohan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:01 pm

CupcakeNoFillin wrote:Baron DESERVES it, but he probably won't get.

I just have a feeling that the coaches are going to pick Chris Paul over him, All-Star Weekend is in New Orleans anyways. I'm not saying that Chris Paul doesn't deserve it, he does because he's playing out of his mind right now.. it's just that I would pick him for the all-star team next year since he's still young.

Or Baron can get in over Tony Parker or Iverson. But Iverson always has the coaches vote, and Parker will probably get in because the Spurs are so good. But if Parker gets in over Baron, ima be pissed.

The category is GUARD, not POINT GUARD, and Kobe comes first. McGrady may be hurt but he's currently second in the voting.

THEN Nash, then Iverson, then Ginobili, then Terry, THEN Baron, THEN PAUL! Tony Parker right after. Stackhouse long before Jackson, Williams, Roy....

We're the fans, sure, but the total fan vote would exclude the West's best guard so far from the game. Fans get to pick ten players and then the process leaves their hands, which is good because there will only be 4-5 guards TOTAL and Jerry Stackhouse ain't one of them yet he beats a few who are. Terry has been VERY good, though, and that team is winning as well as anyone.

So the vote push afoot for Baron on this board has made this difference thus far: Baron passed up the only sure coaches' selection in the bunch.

And the coach figures to be Popovich or D'Antoni, I believe, so injury replacements figure to go a certain predictable way this year unless, as was said long ago...

The Warriors play transcendent basketball with Baron at the heart of it.

A seventh seed is not transcendent.

Brandon Roy and the Trailblazers? Closest thing to undeniable the West has going for it right now. Deal with reality, folks.

Baron or Jackson have to beat out Nash, Paul, Ginobili, Parker, Roy, Deron Williams, and Terry. Only one of them plays for a team with a worse record but that has to hold, first, and he also has all of the coaches' aides favorite qualities (besides beating Baron on APG and most on shooting effectiveness... plus he'as at 20 PPG).

We can hope for a holdover vote for Baron the sometimes-one-man show based upon last years' playoffs, I suppose, but Jackson is almost completely out of the running at this point along with Stackhouse.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#8 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:18 pm

Baron's an absoulute stone cold LOCK as long as the warriors keep winning.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by The_Believer » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:27 pm

This is Baron time... he's been long overdue for an all-star appearance. Stack and Terry are only getting votes cuz they play for the mavs. They're nowhere near as good as their competition IMO.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#10 » by Hopper15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:55 pm

Paul should get in over Davis. Nash may have to be a reserve as well. T-Whack is the dead weight that hopefully won't be voted in.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#11 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:05 pm

Hopper15 wrote:Paul should get in over Davis. Nash may have to be a reserve as well. T-Whack is the dead weight that hopefully won't be voted in.

Actually T-Pain will probably be voted in but will be too injured to play. That leaves room for a chance at Baron making the team. hopefully.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,427

Post#12 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:32 pm

Tough call....

Beyond the game being in New Orleans, I think if Baron and the Warriors can win the head to head game against the Hornets and have a better record going into the all-star game...Baron get's in.

By the way....Is there ANYONE in the NBA right now that is more exciting to watch than Baron? Kobe? Ummm....Anyone else?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#13 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:35 pm

if baron makes the all-star team and the new orleans crowd boo's him everytime he touches the ball in the all-star game...

hopefully new orleans doesn't care about him anymore though.
Reverse-D-Curse
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Reverse-D-Curse » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:38 am

LOL for referring to TMAC as T-Pain

As long as the Dubs keep winning they can't deny Baron a spot. The Dubs are the most exciting team to watch in the league. The All-Star game is every bit about showmanship as it is about stats...and BD reps both.

Not that it will matter but I will boycott the All-Star game if they snub him.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#15 » by realfung » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:28 am

Honestly I want Baron to go on the ASG than SJax....
Totally because it is going be more fun.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,830

Post#16 » by floppymoose » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:11 pm

#2 in Avery's rating system too, whatever that is. Behind Lebron.

Return to Golden State Warriors