ImageImageImageImageImage

Who deserves most of the blame for this season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Who do we blame the most?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:21 pm

Dray
6%
Kerr
63%
Klay
3%
Lacob&Sons
9%
MDJ
3%
Wiggs
6%
CoJo(others)
11%

Total votes: 35

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,036

Re: Who deserves the most blame for this season? 

Post#21 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:52 pm

TB wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:LOL at people still blaming Myers.

This front office extended Kerr and Draymond so if you are blaming either one of them and you are praising MDJ then I am confused.

MDJ has had one offseason as GM. Of course the majority of this roster is due to Myers still.

Dray gets legit blame for the suspensions, but still is worth the extension. At the very least to keep the salary spot as a trade asset.

Kerr gets legit blame for this years coaching, but I think most are willing to see how the offseason plays out and if Kerr can make some adjustments for next year.

I never understood Warriors' fans blaming only the GM when it is common knowledge that the FO makes decisions by consensus.

But...after the 22-23 season when the Warriors were eliminated by the Lakers it looked to me like the core was finished and the team desperately needed to get younger, longer and more athletic. Trading for and keeping CP was a bad move, IMO. Extending Draymond and not trying to trade an expiring Klay was a bad move, IMO.

Now here we are a year later and the team is in the almost the exact same place they were at the start of the season. Yes, CP and Klay are expirings but they don't get that salary to play with. No real direction and they could have been a year into whatever new direction they could have chosen. They needed to rip the bandaid off last offseason instead of slowly peeling it off like they have. This past season was a total waste as far as I can see.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,815

Post#22 » by floppymoose » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 pm

You can post this same poll in the 29 other team forums and at least 25 will chose the coach.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#23 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:59 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:There's plenty of blame to go all around.

Dray for his suspensions. If he doesn't get suspended and if he doesn't take time to ramp up after his suspension was over we're probably the 7th seed at worst with possibly moving up to the 5 seed.

Wiggins for his major slump coinciding with Klay's major slump at the beginning of the year. Whatever player's go through slumps.

MDJ for not making a move for OG or at the deadline.

Since we're adding blame for everyone. Steph. His fall off after his ankle and his inability to carry us like he did at the beginning of the season meant we weren't going anywhere anyways.

But really I think most of the blame falls on Kerr. Kerr's robotic rotations taking people out of rhythm and pre-determining playing time and rotations no matter what was actually happening on the court cost us. His inability to challenge calls correctly. His apathy towards winning any single game always trying to keep minute totals low for the next game. His inability to coach Klay. His reliance on the old vets even though the young guys were playing well. His obsession with small lineups and indifference towards rebounding and defense. It felt like he had too many options yet always chose the wrong combination of players.

Really the NBA in general also deserves a shout out. The teams have stolen all of our assistant coaches, stole our trainers, stole our front office, suspended draymond indefinitely and implemented rules to directly affect us. Like good job NBA you've effectively nerfed your no 1 selling player and franchise.

Reading all those Kerr issues is :banghead:

But the one I sort of forget about but it bugs me every game is the challenges. He was the worst in the league by A LOT. Which is really unacceptable. Thats a very easy metric to see if your staff understands the value of a possession, and they clearly dont. The plan should be very simple... The moment an obvious miss happens that leads to a loss of possession or points, you make the challenge. Sure it seems nice to have a challenge later in the game, but its more valuable to have gotten an extra possession at some point in the game than forcing a challenge late just in-case a game altering miss happens in the last two minutes. Seems like Kerr doesn't care about the analytics on this and would rather just save them for end of game or use them on a scenario to teach the refs something like a Steph 3.

it's like the entire coaching staff doesn't understand game flow or theory. They're slow to react, get it wrong more than half the time. It's like this should take 1 coaches meeting to solve but all year they've been meme worthy bad that they celebrate when they finally get 1 right. It's like that's not funny, this is something that can be easily improved. Low hanging fruit that actually gives you an extra possession or takes points off the board or puts points on the board.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,154

Post#24 » by TB » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:06 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:
Onus wrote:There's plenty of blame to go all around.

Dray for his suspensions. If he doesn't get suspended and if he doesn't take time to ramp up after his suspension was over we're probably the 7th seed at worst with possibly moving up to the 5 seed.

Wiggins for his major slump coinciding with Klay's major slump at the beginning of the year. Whatever player's go through slumps.

MDJ for not making a move for OG or at the deadline.

Since we're adding blame for everyone. Steph. His fall off after his ankle and his inability to carry us like he did at the beginning of the season meant we weren't going anywhere anyways.

But really I think most of the blame falls on Kerr. Kerr's robotic rotations taking people out of rhythm and pre-determining playing time and rotations no matter what was actually happening on the court cost us. His inability to challenge calls correctly. His apathy towards winning any single game always trying to keep minute totals low for the next game. His inability to coach Klay. His reliance on the old vets even though the young guys were playing well. His obsession with small lineups and indifference towards rebounding and defense. It felt like he had too many options yet always chose the wrong combination of players.

Really the NBA in general also deserves a shout out. The teams have stolen all of our assistant coaches, stole our trainers, stole our front office, suspended draymond indefinitely and implemented rules to directly affect us. Like good job NBA you've effectively nerfed your no 1 selling player and franchise.

But the one I sort of forget about but it bugs me every game is the challenges. He was the worst in the league by A LOT. Which is really unacceptable. Thats a very easy metric to see if your staff understands the value of a possession, and they clearly dont. The plan should be very simple... The moment an obvious miss happens that leads to a loss of possession or points, you make the challenge. Sure it seems nice to have a challenge later in the game, but its more valuable to have gotten an extra possession at some point in the game than forcing a challenge late just in-case a game altering miss happens in the last two minutes. Seems like Kerr doesn't care about the analytics on this and would rather just save them for end of game or use them on a scenario to teach the refs something like a Steph 3.

it's like the entire coaching staff doesn't understand game flow or theory. They're slow to react, get it wrong more than half the time. It's like this should take 1 coaches meeting to solve but all year they've been meme worthy bad that they celebrate when they finally get 1 right. It's like that's not funny, this is something that can be easily improved. Low hanging fruit that actually gives you an extra possession or takes points off the board or puts points on the board.

Yup exactly. The goal needs to be to flip 1 possession or foul that leads to points every game. Over half the coaches in the NBA are above 60%... Taylor Jenkins is up near 75%. Only 1 coach is below 45%... Kerr who is around 35%. Its mind boggling really.

Now I will admit, without getting tin foil hat crazy, that there are a handful of challenges (mostly against Steph) that left my jaw on the floor that they didn't go Kerr's way... like obvious ones that seemed shady to not give to the Warriors. But the majority of his challenges I instantly say to myself "why challenge that" or "why is he not challenging that".
Onus
RealGM

Post#25 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:10 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:
TB wrote:

Yup exactly. The goal needs to be to flip 1 possession or foul that leads to points every game. Over half the coaches in the NBA are above 60%... Taylor Jenkins is up near 75%. Only 1 coach is below 45%... Kerr who is around 35%. Its mind boggling really.

Seriously if Jacob Rubin can't handle this responsibility they can literally hire someone off the street who's one and only job is coaches' challenges. 50% shouldn't be hard to obtain. You literally have replay in front of you. Let alone you're on the side line.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,122

Post#26 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:15 pm

Not having good enough players is always the biggest issue for any team.

But I think a team like this has a complicated web of blame. If you thought Draymond or Klay needed to go, well tough luck because I doubt that was ever an option with Curry and Kerr's preference. I really can't blame MDJ considering he had a nice draft and managed to dump Poole's contract. Draymond coming back I doubt was really actually fully his decision. I do think Dray should have had some kind of team option component or behavior clause.

So rather than who, I'd say it was the whole team's major guys being unwilling to let go after '23. It was clear Klay was toast and the team had no 2nd best player. We whiffed on the market of a bunch of guys and wasted a whole season. Almost nobody here thought we were good enough to win a chip before the season started.

So obviously it's the FO, I just think MDJ has done a decent job in his time. I think the FO has been hamstrung by the relationships Curry/Kerr have with the other players, so it's really hard to blame one guy. Maybe you can blame Myers, but if Steve had woken up and said Klay is toast we need a trade before the season, we might be in a different spot. I really have trouble assigning the most blame to one person.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#27 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:18 pm

floppymoose wrote:You can post this same poll in the 29 other team forums and at least 25 will chose the coach.

It's crazy that Dray, who almost got kicked out of the league for violent conduct get 0 votes and our only player 'in his prime' who took like half the season off to find himself has 2. Def Kerr's fault that both of those guys, two of our 3 most important players, just no-showed for the first half of the season.
Onus
RealGM

Post#28 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:20 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:Not having good enough players is always the biggest issue for any team.

But I think a team like this has a complicated web of blame. If you thought Draymond or Klay needed to go, well tough luck because I doubt that was ever an option with Curry and Kerr's preference. I really can't blame MDJ considering he had a nice draft and managed to dump Poole's contract. Draymond coming back I doubt was really actually fully his decision. I do think Dray should have had some kind of team option component or behavior clause.

So rather than who, I'd say it was the whole team's major guys being unwilling to let go after '23. It was clear Klay was toast and the team had no 2nd best player. We whiffed on the market of a bunch of guys and wasted a whole season. Almost nobody here thought we were good enough to win a chip before the season started.

So obviously it's the FO, I just think MDJ has done a decent job in his time. I think the FO has been hamstrung by the relationships Curry/Kerr have with the other players, so it's really hard to blame one guy. Maybe you can blame Myers, but if Steve had woken up and said Klay is toast we need a trade before the season, we might be in a different spot. I really have trouble blaming one person.

Why does everyone keep saying curry is hamstringing the FO into keeping Dray and Klay? He didn't say a word when the team traded Iguodala for cap space, whom he's much closer to personally than either Dray or Klay.
vvoland
Senior

Post#29 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:
Onus wrote:

Seriously if Jacob Rubin can't handle this responsibility they can literally hire someone off the street who's one and only job is coaches' challenges. 50% shouldn't be hard to obtain. You literally have replay in front of you. Let alone you're on the side line.

This part absolutely hurts my brain. Kerr has also publicly admitted that he'd use a challenge instead of a TO late in a game because, 'why not,' essentially. It's a fairly quick decision that needs to be made but with the benefit of replay, 60%+ really should be the standard. 35% is so bad that it's a fireable offense. Not just rubin, but all of the ACs.
vvoland
Senior

Post#30 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:25 pm

Onus wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:Not having good enough players is always the biggest issue for any team.

So obviously it's the FO, I just think MDJ has done a decent job in his time. I think the FO has been hamstrung by the relationships Curry/Kerr have with the other players, so it's really hard to blame one guy. Maybe you can blame Myers, but if Steve had woken up and said Klay is toast we need a trade before the season, we might be in a different spot. I really have trouble blaming one person.

Why does everyone keep saying curry is hamstringing the FO into keeping Dray and Klay? He didn't say a word when the team traded Iguodala for cap space, whom he's much closer to personally than either Dray or Klay.

He's publicly said that he can't imagine going out without the other two guys, ride out w/ who I rode in with, def want him (dray last summer, Klay this summer) back, etc. He's been as public with his support of those two guys as he has been about anything. I don't know his personal relationships with Dray, Klay or Iggy, I only know what he's said in front of the mic. I don't remember him saying much about iggy but that might be because no one asked him if Iggy should stay before he got traded (the trade was a bit out of the blue, in that regard).
Onus
RealGM

Post#31 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:

He's publicly said that he can't imagine going out without the other two guys, ride out w/ who I rode in with, def want him (dray last summer, Klay this summer) back, etc. He's been as public with his support of those two guys as he has been about anything. I don't know his personal relationships with Dray, Klay or Iggy, I only know what he's said in front of the mic. I don't remember him saying much about iggy but that might be because no one asked him if Iggy should stay before he got traded (the trade was a bit out of the blue, in that regard).

But what do you want him to say publicly? Yo get ride of this dude. I know he helped win us 4 titles and get to 6 finals but he's got to go, he's cooked? Is that really what people want to hear him say? Because that's so far from being realistic it seems like they're just looking for a way to blame Curry.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,122

Post#32 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:36 pm

Onus wrote:But what do you want him to say publicly? Yo get ride of this dude. I know he helped win us 4 titles and get to 6 finals but he's got to go, he's cooked? Is that really what people want to hear him say? Because that's so far from being realistic it seems like they're just looking for a way to blame Curry.

At least from my comment, you're focusing too much on Curry rather than me saying it's a web of many things/relationships. Steph is the last guy I'd actually blame. I think the tight relationships he and others have make it difficult for the FO to make the big correct decisions, but I doubt Steph leaves if they don't keep Dray/Klay.
vvoland
Senior

Post#33 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:40 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:Why does everyone keep saying curry is hamstringing the FO into keeping Dray and Klay? He didn't say a word when the team traded Iguodala for cap space, whom he's much closer to personally than either Dray or Klay.

But what do you want him to say publicly? Yo get ride of this dude. I know he helped win us 4 titles and get to 6 finals but he's got to go, he's cooked? Is that really what people want to hear him say? Because that's so far from being realistic it seems like they're just looking for a way to blame Curry.

There's a grand canyon sized gap between Curry repeatedly saying "I want Klay/Dray back" or "I can't imagine playing without Klay/Dray" and him saying "He's cooked, get him out of here"

He could always go back to the definition of insanity quote that he used earlier this season or some other PR approved answer about how the FO has a tough job or Klay will do what's best for him or a million other answers. We see nba players duck these questions all the time, Lebron does it 3 times a season, usually right before he trades the entire team.
Onus
RealGM

Post#34 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:52 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
Onus wrote:But what do you want him to say publicly? Yo get ride of this dude. I know he helped win us 4 titles and get to 6 finals but he's got to go, he's cooked? Is that really what people want to hear him say? Because that's so far from being realistic it seems like they're just looking for a way to blame Curry.

At least from my comment, you're focusing too much on Curry rather than me saying it's a web of many things/relationships. Steph is the last guy I'd actually blame. I think the tight relationships he and others have make it difficult for the FO to make the big correct decisions, but I doubt Steph leaves if they don't keep Dray/Klay.

I agree it's a tough decision, which is why I commend Bob Myers for stepping down knowing he couldn't or wouldn't want to make those tough decisions even though that was his job.

I think the plan was always to let Klay expire and hope that he gets a big offer from someone that we just can't match. That way none of the blood is on anyone's hands except Klay's. No one in the FO was willing to get their hands dirty. Which is understandable. But it just doesn't make sense to attach Steph's name to that. Steph's preference would always be to win another championship with his guys, obviously but he's not one to pout if he doesn't get what he wants. Plus this type of decision shouldn't be on Curry. This should be so far removed from Curry that Curry has plausible deniability and can say I never saw that coming. If the FO comes and and says Curry ok'd it, that would be the weakest move in Warriors history. That's essentially throwing Curry under the bus and that shouldn't happen at all. That's the FO job which is why they get paid 7 figures.
Onus
RealGM

Post#35 » by Onus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

There's a grand canyon sized gap between Curry repeatedly saying "I want Klay/Dray back" or "I can't imagine playing without Klay/Dray" and him saying "He's cooked, get him out of here"

He could always go back to the definition of insanity quote that he used earlier this season or some other PR approved answer about how the FO has a tough job or Klay will do what's best for him or a million other answers. We see nba players duck these questions all the time, Lebron does it 3 times a season, usually right before he trades the entire team.

He focused more on winning than keeping Klay. What more do you want him to say?
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#36 » by Dubs 707 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:06 pm

Why isn't Curry an option?

He needs to put pressure on the front office like Kobe and Bron would/do!
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,405

Post#37 » by svart » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:09 pm

floppymoose wrote:You can post this same poll in the 29 other team forums and at least 25 will chose the coach.

Could be.

But question is: Are we as a fanbase wrong in this case?

We should also take into consideration those 25 other teams might not have a Draymond and his antics, or a Klay and his egotistical sulking on the bench when the team is winning, the chucking and giving up on plays on defense while playing 30+ minutes or part/time Wiggs (here i won't put so much blame for the first part of the season, i still think he was hurt, but that's just a personal opinion).

And still, Kerr seems to be taking the crown.

I am not in any way happy to do this, but i was just curious how people here see it.

And till now the majority of choices were well argumented.

I also know it's a more nuanced answer than what's in the poll, but i was also curious who will you guys pick if you only had one choice.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,405

Post#38 » by svart » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:Why isn't Curry an option?

He needs to put pressure on the front office like Kobe and Bron would/do!

He is, under "others" . I don't think what he did or did not do is on the same level as the other options.

Curry doesn't have that kind of personality like those two you mentioned anyway.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
vvoland
Senior

Post#39 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:

He focused more on winning than keeping Klay. What more do you want him to say?

Personally, I don't want or need him to say anything. Players make terrible GMs, especially while they're still playing. I don't think the FO should ask Curry and it def doesn't need to do so. IF we're talking about what Curry wants, however, his public comments are pretty straightforward. Again, I don't have any idea of his personal relationship with these guys. From what I see, these 3 are all very different and are an unlikely friendship. But what do I know? How they look in the most competitive, pressurized atmosphere I can imagine? I don't think that is very representative of anything. I do know what he's said and it's been a consistent theme: "bring those guys back"

Curry shouldn't be a big factor in FO's decisions. Sure, run stuff by him just so he doesn't feel disrespected but if you can/have to trade Dray or S&T Klay or whatever, you don't need Steph to sign off. The two times I heard him state his case on what the FO should do, he was so wrong it's embarrassing (Keep Mark Jackson and avery bradley over gp2).
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#40 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:56 pm

I would say that more fanbases probably blame the GM more than the coach

Re coaching critiques though - there's always this endless appeal to authority.. and coaches are very human. Invariably, even random basketball fans might stumble on something thats a better idea than was tried, mainly because we have the luxury of not looking at the players as human beings, just action figures. And sometimes thats better, sometimes it isn't, but proper use of metrics and analytics has made fans more accurate than ever in these critiques

Its GM logic - cant fire yourself. Fans cant blame themselves for believing Kerr was better than he actually was. I know I expected a lot better of him in terms of understanding whats been successful and whats not.. but the reason Kerr deserves the blame is that he was stubborn about it, even when the data pointed the opposite way, conclusively

Return to Golden State Warriors