ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 am

1) Let Klay walk. He's proven to be a shadow of his former self and is a bit of negative value around the league (0-10 FGA & 0-6 3FG won't cut it tonight). He's shown flashes of what he can use to do. When he's hot, he's hot. When he's not, he's a big liability on the court (mental lapse and frustration takes him out of the flow of the game and defense has taken 50 steps back) -- And he's been since the beginning of the season.

2) Trade Wiggins. Package him with CP3 (1-year left on contract) to entice the deal.

Anyone else? Draymond?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#2 » by marthafokker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 am

Trade Kerr. Do a Doc River while he still has value.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,282

Post#3 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:01 am

Klay and CP earned over $70 million this year.

If they let both of them walk, do the Warriors have any cap space to sign a starter-level player or will they only be able to offer MLE at most.

Nobody is talking about Curry but he's been just average since the All-Star break. Earlier this season, he said he thinks he's as good as ever. He's under contract 2 more seasons, so in the summer of 2026, he'd be looking for a new extension at age 38.

If he's still scoring around 25 PPG at 45/40/90 efficiency, will Lacob be able to say no to him?

What if he's down to say 21 PPG on 43/37/90 efficiency? He will be looking for max extension so should the team pay him?

In this play-in game Wiggins reverted to first half of the season Wiggins, bricking everything.

But let's have some context. They won 46 games, 2 more than last year and they gave about a dozen games away. If they win 3 of them, they'd have won 49 games, probably not be in the play-in at all.

Three seasons ago, they lost both play-in games, were out of the playoffs. Then two seasons ago, they started out great, faded a bit with some injuries in February, but then won their 4th title.

So are we at the same crossroads as we were in the summer of 2021?

Or is this different, with all the star players 3 years older and one key guy having regressed severely (Wiggins), with inconsistent younger players, certainly unproven in the playoffs?

Should they try to make wholesale changes, start the rebuild? Even consider trading Curry?

Or do they try to run it back, like they did for the 2021-22 season which led to the title?

The odd thing is that in the 2022-23 season, which ended with the second-round loss to the Lakers, their starters were among the best in the league in net rating and the bench let them down.

In this 2023-24 season, which ended in play-in loss, the starters weren't good but the bench was among the best in the league.

Do they hope that the turmoil is behind them with Green since he got his extension?

Or cut their losses, start tanking for top 3 lottery picks, which is their best chance to get another generational player?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,415

Post#4 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:02 am

The SMART move is to trade the entire core INCLUDING Curry. It won't happen but that's the smart move. Curry's not winning another title with the Warriors without a Giannis type Aquisition. That's not happening.

I'm serious: Trade Curry for the biggest haul you can get and put up a statue for him and the others in recognition.

If it's about getting back to contention asap, that's what you do. Any other move not involving another all-star is just delaying and increasing the rebuilding process.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
wco81
RealGM

Post#5 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:07 am

Trading Curry is a tough issue but I wouldn't necessarily expect a huge haul given his age.

Maybe OKC or other teams with a lot of FRPs, many of them likely to be in the mid or late first round, is likely going to be the return.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

Post#6 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 am

I just hope that if Klay leaves, it triggers an emotional response from both Curry and Green and they both want out ‘cuz those 3 are a “packaged deal” that must not be broken up. If that happens, consider next season full-on tank mode for top 3 in 2025 draft to new beginnings (Do we even own a pick? lol).

In ways, I think that would be the best thing to happen for this organization right now by turning the chapter on a very successful run they can be proud of.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 853

Post#7 » by DevinVassell » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 am

The writing has been on the wall for at least 12 months.... the aging core should have been traded then. Some of us called for it.

Curry still had ridiculous value and the return from trading him alone would have exponentially propelled the warriors rebuild.

But here we are 12 months later and "the slow death" continues.

Maybe next year. zzz
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#8 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 am

1. Klay extension.
2. Jk extension.
3. Cp3 contract

Those are the first questions we need answered.
wco81
RealGM

Post#9 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:38 am

DevinVassell wrote:The writing has been on the wall for at least 12 months.... the aging core should have been traded then. Some of us called for it.

Curry still had ridiculous value and the return from trading him alone would have exponentially propelled the warriors rebuild.

Maybe next year. zzz

Could you have said the same 3 years ago, after they lost to the Lakers and then the Grizzlies at home in the play-in games to be out of the playoffs?

Then next season, they won the title.

Not the same situation of course, since the players are 3-years older. But hot takes after a disappointing play-in loss or is this really it?
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#10 » by tal57 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 am

If one is the cold-hearted realist, such season end should have almost been expected. Much bigger problem lies ahead
The reason is simple.
The team is managed hands on by extremely ego driven owner who fully believes he is the great GM. In fact, he is not even close to it, but who is to tell him otherwise with all the "yes" men around him. And there lies the biggest problem. Secondly, the present coach who was a great fit for the 2016-2018 team, is totally unfit for the current team. But he is also entrenched here. I don't believe in the remedy for this team at all until I see otherwise with my own eyes.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,036

Post#11 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:1. Klay extension.
2. Jk extension.
3. Cp3 contract

Those are the first questions we need answered.

1. NO
2. Yes
3. Are you **** kidding?

Seriously, they only thing to do with CP is trade a portion or all of his non-guaranteed contract in a deal if Lacob is willing to keep paying out his ass or let him walk.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#12 » by tal57 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:51 am

The problem was not the core, it may be soon but not until now. The problem is 3 lottery pics the "great" GM Lacob botched so much chasing two time line fantasy, that it pushed the team 5 years back. Instead of potent supporting cast for the core, it became the average team with practically no help to supporting cast. And being in the middle of the pack is the worst position the NBA team can be.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 853

Post#13 » by DevinVassell » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:56 am

wco81 wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:The writing has been on the wall for at least 12 months.... the aging core should have been traded then. Some of us called for it.

Maybe next year. zzz

Could you have said the same 3 years ago, after they lost to the Lakers and then the Grizzlies at home in the play-in games to be out of the playoffs?

Not the same situation of course, since the players are 3-years older. But hot takes after a disappointing play-in loss or is this really it?

Hmm, I guess if I was JUST referring to our EMBARRASSING play-in loss to the depleted Kings you could call it a hot take.

But I've been calling this debacle the slow death for at least six months and I was calling for a total teardown after then Lakers just toyed with us 12 months ago.

Its OK it may take a bit longer for your rose colored glasses to fall off but you will catch on. Trust me!
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#14 » by bicycle » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 am

wco81 wrote:

Maybe next year. zzz

3 years ago we had these conversations and everyone just quoted the stat that Steph Klay and Dray have never been beaten in a series where they all played all the games, and we should see them get beat before thinking past them. That was reasonable at the time, and the title proved it. Now though? We've seen them lose a series and a play in while all together, and they're all older, and we're one of the most expensive rosters in league history too.

Nah. It's cash saving summer, and we let Kuminga lead the tank next year. If we're lucky Kuminga is our KAT, the all star level talent who leads us on losing seasons for a couple years until we draft the next superstar who will usurp ownership of the team when we're next good again. If we're unlucky, Kuminga leads the tank for years until he's in his prime and it stops making sense to draft a running mate for him, and we have to trade him for picks.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,405

Post#15 » by svart » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:38 am

i'll just say what i'm saying for two years: trade dray, fire kerr

let klay and cp3 walk.
try to trade gp2 and loon. and one of jk/wiggs, depending on what jk wants for his next contract.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#16 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:27 am

Ride into the sunset 2026 is my initial read, as of now, a lot of it is the Green and Kerr deals. Thompson ends up re-signing for 2 years, it'll have 30's blessing, if you will. As long as the 4 are intact, simpatico, I just don't forsee major change regarding them. Now, that pretty much puts everyone else on the table.

Not sure what happens with Paul, Kuminga, and possibly Wiggins. Kerr has been public about how much he enjoys having Paul on the team, but I'm of the belief that he was basically used as a Poole dump, they just waive the $30M and save some tax on the final year. If Kuminga is around, he's getting a contract extension, but he does seemingly have some value around the league if they want to go that route. May have the wrong read on Wiggins, but there's some type of underlying frustration with him. A very uneven last couple of seasons for Wiggins, if there is someone that I'd bet gets moved, it's probably him.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#17 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 am

Let Klay walk

Trade CP3 and JK for Lonzo Ball and Caruso

Find a taker for GP2. I love him, but hes never available. And 9M isnt nothing.

Sign a back up PF with an exception, maybe Bol Bol
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#18 » by Warriorfan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 am

Warriors stay under 2nd luxury tax levels.

What FA could GS get better than Klay with MLE
He gets resigned if warriors can stay under punitive tax level.

CP3 GP2 Looney are gone Podz and Davis are cheap cost controlled Subs.

Gamble Kuminga and Moody can improve their extensions will be costly due to repeater tax.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#19 » by killmongrel » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 am

See if a big time player like Paul George is available or something like that.

If not, then Lacob will get out of the luxury tax.

Steph and Draymond most likely the only ones who are safe.

Let CP3 walk or trade him to a team of his choice for a TPE and garbage assets.

GP2 and/or Looney should be traded yesterday.

See who they can trade to be a legitimate second option using the salaries or combined salaries of: Wiggins, Kuminga, Moody, Looney, GP2, Podz, TJD. The other players like Santos, Lester, and Garuba have no trade value or don't make enough salary.

Offer Klay the vet minimum and Olive Garden coupons.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,359

Post#20 » by SpreeS » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 am

1. As I said before season this team will miss PI or will lose in PI and gave them around 36wins. They won 46wins, I was wrong here, but I couldn't imagine that EAST would be so awful. If we look at record with only West conf teams 26-26, its only 11th results, even HOU had a better record (28-24)

2. Kerr had whole RS to understand who is who I find right lineups. The first important game after RS and he pushed panic button with subtitutions and rotations. I saw that Kerr was totally confused what to do in first two quarters.

3. The saddest thing, that Kerr refused to develop Kuminga and Moody in 3y period over players like Iggy 38y age, Qiunones, Lamb, Jerome, J.Green, Lee, Toscano, Chiozza, Saric, Joseph (total 8000min) I even dont touch washed Klay minutes. He took all these players over Moody/Kuminga. 2/3 x career playing time for Kuminga and Moody would made this team strong TOP6 team in WC at the moment.

4. GSW doesn't have at least one player in his prime (age and game). Some of them too old, other too young and prime years guys look way worst than their peak. I dont know what happened to Wiggs and Looney, but if they would be on the same lavel as champ year this team would look way way better. And if we would added stable developent of Moody/Kuminga this team would be title contender even with old trio even how bad they looked at the moment.

Return to Golden State Warriors