Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,091

Re: Game 83 (9-10 play-in) Tuesday April 16 vs. Sacramento Kings 

Post#501 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:10 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:I’d take a draft pick in this **** draft for jk. Jk was not a bright spot at all to me. Jk is a unique player but none of that uniqueness leads to some type of favorable matchup for us. Usually it’s just building around a completely flawed player. His defense sucks. His rebounding sucks. His shooting sucks. The only thing he does well is finish if he doesn’t lose the ball going up. He also runs in a straight line really fast. But in general he sucks as a basketball player.

LOL, the top of this draft sucks balls. I'm hoping the pick conveys.

I get it, I know you hate JK.

JK has talent. Magically give Jk andre Iguodala’s game in addition to JK’s game and you would have a great player.

Our team is going down. Enjoy JK because he is our biggest bright spot even though he is flawed. Curry is coming up flat in first quarters. This is the beginning of the end for Curry. I have seen many stars get old. 1980s Celtics were my home team but their dynasty core got old. This is not my first rodeo but I am old so when the Warriors win their next championship 20 years from now I will be dead.

Which 21yo's are not flawed?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#502 » by watch1958 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 am

Moody let us down again. :roll:
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 20

Post#503 » by RUN-TJM » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Only way to retool is to dangle jk, podz, and cp3 salary to match for a sg that can defend some.

D. Murray would have been perfect.

That’s akin to shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#504 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
One of the only bright spots on the team...what player making $7,636,307 are you trading him for that makes the team better?

I’d take a draft pick in this **** draft for jk. Jk was not a bright spot at all to me. Jk is a unique player but none of that uniqueness leads to some type of favorable matchup for us. Usually it’s just building around a completely flawed player. His defense sucks. His rebounding sucks. His shooting sucks. The only thing he does well is finish if he doesn’t lose the ball going up. He also runs in a straight line really fast. But in general he sucks as a basketball player.

JK absolutely raised his value this year, he was just an athlete before. He's found a solid niche for himself on offense. A lot of teams could use that.. but Id think contending teams would be more interested than young, developing teams. People keep saying star potential and upside, but its really just quickness. The 3pt shot and handle are really concerning, and the defense/rebounding come and go. Odds are, his trade value never peaks more in his career

So unless the team has a plan for him being this niche player going forward, or he's somehow shown in practice that he can be a cornerstone.. pull the trigger. Get the value while you can and start stockpiling for the next run

I'd be saying the same about Moody too if the Warriors hadnt depleted his value. But if he were in the same boat as JK, where it was time to pay him and we dont have a #1 or even #2 for the future on the team.. deal him too. Just want some big picture logic.. most teams arent afforded that luxury because GMs get replaced so quick. But this team has built up enough goodwill that they could actually do this the most judicious way

Jk has improved as a player but his deficiencies are just way too much to overcome to build around. And he’s not really a complementary player. It’d be a massive mistake to give him a large salary that he’s looking for. Still can’t believe we didn’t trade him for og last year. What a fumble. Thanks Bob

If moody comes back cheap then whatever. I don’t think moody should be involved in any plan moving forward. If he wants to stay for cheap (why would he) great. But if he leaves then whatever. He could be a solid 8th or 9th man somewhere.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#505 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 am

I still see a path to be competitive, but it's through defense.

I still see Dray, tjd, and wiggins as a dynamic defensive core . Steph isn't that steph anymore, but he's still one of the best. With klay and cp3 not on the books, thats 75M off the books. We just need to find a SG that can help tie the team together.

We need to go back to motion offense, it's what works best with steph. You can see the disconnect when jk or cp3 were on the floor, no rhythm to the offense.

A better coach definitely helps.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Post#506 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:13 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I still see a path to be competitive, but it's through defense.

I still Dray, tjd, and wiggins as a dynamic defensive core . Steph isn't that steph anymore, but he's still one of the best. With klay and cp3 not on the books, that 75M off the books. We just need to find a SG that can help tie the team together.

We need to go back to motion offense, it's what works best with steph. You can see the disconnect when jk or cp3 were on the floor, no rhythm to the offense.

I'm of the mind that its time we no longer do the things that are best for Steph, because IMO thats no longer whats best for the Warriors
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#507 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 am

I think the challenge going forward with JK is he’s a power forward offensively, he doesn’t quite have the perimeter skills yet. If JK is your power forward moving forward than Dray has to play center, do you want to start a 6-6 center at his age going forward? Let’s say you do want TJD/Looney or some other big body to play center next to Dray and you are fine with JK at small forward then what happens with Wiggins? Wiggins could play shooting guard. But collectively does TJD, Dray, JK, Wiggins starting lineup provide enough outside shooting for the modern NBA?
Onus
RealGM

Post#508 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

LOL, the top of this draft sucks balls. I'm hoping the pick conveys.

I get it, I know you hate JK.

I know. That’s how much I don’t like jk. Hopefully the pick conveys. Hopefully we trade jk.

I don’t hate jk, he’s just not good. How can you win in the modern nba with a wing that doesn’t defend, can’t shoot or rebound

Maybe he shouldn’t be played against fives. He has always abused smaller players, but Kerr does the opposite to what is right which is stupid.

Kerr rather go small, so he’s asked to be play out of position. Give JK to a competent coach and you will regret it.

Oddly I think he’s a more likely a sg that can’t shoot than any other position. He’s a score first player that can’t shoot. He doesn’t rebound he doesn’t play help defense. He’s also pretty terrible at staying in front of players but he should be able to develop to stay in front of players because of his athleticism.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#509 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:I still see a path to be competitive, but it's through defense.

I still Dray, tjd, and wiggins as a dynamic defensive core . Steph isn't that steph anymore, but he's still one of the best. With klay and cp3 not on the books, that 75M off the books. We just need to find a SG that can help tie the team together.

I'm of the mind that its time we no longer do the things that are best for Steph, because IMO thats no longer whats best for the Warriors

Imo, he carried too much of an offensive and defensive burden this year. He needs to go back to bring rested on a stationary player.

He was gassed having to defend in 3 guard sets or having to guard more on ball while we hid klay. I think kerr and klay put a massive strain on stephs cardio this year.
Onus
RealGM

Post#510 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

Who else would you build an offense around though?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#511 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:19 am

Onus wrote:Jk has improved as a player but his deficiencies are just way too much to overcome to build around. And he’s not really a complementary player. It’d be a massive mistake to give him a large salary that he’s looking for. Still can’t believe we didn’t trade him for og last year. What a fumble. Thanks Bob

If moody comes back cheap then whatever. I don’t think moody should be involved in any plan moving forward. If he wants to stay for cheap (why would he) great. But if he leaves then whatever. He could be a solid 8th or 9th man somewhere.

I think thats all he is. Its tough to be a positive impact player with the holes in his game. That said, stuff like defense and rebounding can change with a lot of work. Shooting and dribbling.. well frankly I dont see those hurdles being overcome. Most arent able to tighten their handle much or drastically change shooting efficiency

I think he peaks as a Wiggins type player who trades defensive ability for driving. Whatever value that is.. but its not someone I'd want around a rebuild, unless a new #1 comes into the fold. But the team would have to extend him while hoping that #1 falls into their lap somehow, in a year we have no 1sts, no capspace, and no real assets besides future draft picks to get them
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#512 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 am

Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I'd build an offense that best fits who's going to be on the team longest going forward. And if there's no one who fits that bill, then do what you can to prop up the youth and get their trade value as high as possible. There's no point chasing wins anymore
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#513 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:21 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Imo, he carried too much of an offensive and defensive burden this year. He needs to go back to bring rested on a stationary player.

He was gassed having to defend in 3 guard sets or having to guard more on ball while we hid klay. I think kerr and klay put a massive strain on stephs cardio this year.

I think Steph needs to start transitioning into something where not everything his him/Dray centric.. there's no point in continuing to do that going forward. At least not on this team
Onus
RealGM

Post#514 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:21 am

I still see Dray, tjd, and wiggins as a dynamic defensive core . Steph isn't that steph anymore, but he's still one of the best. With klay and cp3 not on the books, thats 75M off the books. We just need to find a SG that can help tie the team together.

The motion offense gets stymied so easily. We really need someone else that can get their own shot and make a defense move.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Post#515 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:22 am

RUN-TJM wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Only way to retool is to dangle jk, podz, and cp3 salary to match for a sg that can defend some.

I think we can have DeJounte Murray for CP3, Moody and 2 future 1sts. I value JK more than 2 future 1sts but I might be wrong. DeJounte may get us to the conference finals but he is not getting us a champioship.

It is deck chairs on the Titanic but DeJounte is might fine deck chairs. You could be sitting in luxury while you drown.
Onus
RealGM

Post#516 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:24 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:Jk has improved as a player but his deficiencies are just way too much to overcome to build around. And he’s not really a complementary player. It’d be a massive mistake to give him a large salary that he’s looking for. Still can’t believe we didn’t trade him for og last year. What a fumble. Thanks Bob

I think thats all he is. Its tough to be a positive impact player with the holes in his game. That said, stuff like defense and rebounding can change with a lot of work. Shooting and dribbling.. well frankly I dont see those hurdles being overcome. Most arent able to tighten their handle much or drastically change shooting efficiency

I think he peaks as a Wiggins type player who trades defensive ability for driving. Whatever value that is.. but its not someone I'd want around a rebuild, unless a new #1 comes into the fold. But the team would have to extend him while hoping that #1 falls into their lap somehow, in a year we have no 1sts, no capspace, and no real assets besides future draft picks to get them

How can you be a complementary player when you don’t complement any players and a system has to be built around his strengths. He really doesn’t do anything well that helps the team other than drive. He’s fools gold.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#517 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 am

Onus wrote:How can you be a complementary player when you don’t complement any players and a system has to be built around his strengths. He really doesn’t do anything well that helps the team other than drive. He’s fools gold.

He complements shooters.. he can drive and cut explosively which works well with good shooting teams. That's complementary

Its not fools gold, hes just not as good as people want him to be. They see quickness, which means athleticism, which means potential. Thats the fools gold. But he's a capable NBA player that can contribute to winning if he's playing around guys that fit. No different than Wiggins in that regard
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#518 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
RUN-TJM wrote:

I think we can have DeJounte Murray for CP3, Moody and 2 future 1sts. I value JK more than 2 future 1sts but I might be wrong. DeJounte may get us to the conference finals but he is not getting us a champioship.

It is deck chairs on the Titanic but DeJounte is might fine deck chairs. You could be sitting in luxury while you drown.

I liked the idea of Murray. He could’ve taken the tough guard assignments on Fox, SGA, Irving, Edwards, ect. Led the 2nd unit offense. Gotten downhill so our guys could get more open looks. Murray averaged 9apg on the Spurs before he moved off ball in the Hawks iso offense. Just to make contracts work we would’ve had to take back Capela but getting a big guy averaging a double double was useful as well.
Onus
RealGM

Post#519 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I'd build an offense that best fits who's going to be on the team longest going forward. And if there's no one who fits that bill, then do what you can to prop up the youth and get their trade value as high as possible. There's no point chasing wins anymore

What youth are you propping up? Jk should be traded before the season starts. Moody is jag. Podz likely tops out as an 8th man not sure how you can build an offense around that. Tjd is a rim rolling big.

But say you want to build an offense around jk. You’d need shooting bigs, which we have none of. He could barely iso sabonis.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Post#520 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 am

Onus wrote:

The motion offense gets stymied so easily. We really need someone else that can get their own shot and make a defense move.

Motion offense did not get stymied Easily with peak Steph, Klay Dray, good Iguodala, Bogut setting legal moving screens and Barnes in the corner but we don’t have the people to make that offense work any more.

Closest thing to 2016 Warriors were Pop Spurs with Kerr and Nash Joe Johnson Suns maybe with Kerr.
Running the 2016 Warrior offense without the 2016 Warriors players does not work so well.

Return to Golden State Warriors