ImageImageImageImageImage

START Moody

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Re: START Moody 

Post#41 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:39 am

EvanZ wrote:If Moody is back to hitting 3s again you have to play him.

With JK out tonight, I'm sure he'll play 20 min. Personally, I want to see him more than podz but Kerr clearly disagrees (to be fair, so does the +/-)
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#42 » by Romulus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:32 am

Moody AGAIN played great defense, was hustling, diving after balls, AND making 3s. He absolutely should be starting.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,202

Post#43 » by cpower » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:37 am

Romulus wrote:Moody AGAIN played great defense, was hustling, diving after balls, AND making 3s. He absolutely should be starting.

sadly his name is not Klay
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,225

Post#44 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:04 am

More Minutes 4 Moses Moody
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#45 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:21 pm

I think Moody has to take minutes from GPII going forward.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#46 » by Onus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:40 pm

Moody needs to play. If he's out of the rotation when JK comes back on Thursday, the pitchforks need to come out.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#47 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:08 pm

Onus wrote:Moody needs to play. If he's out of the rotation when JK comes back on Thursday, the pitchforks need to come out.

It's going to be really interesting to see what they do with jk. Does he start? Does he get 30 minutes? What happens to Wiggins, moody, and tjd minutes? Kerr has some big decisions to make. I think those 3 get impacted most from jks return because klay and steph are penciled for 30+ minutes while cp3 and podz get at least 20 minutes.

Possibly benching wiggins is an option with jks return. So that's another obstacle for moody.

A starting lineup question remains when Jonathan Kuminga returns. He missed his fourth consecutive game with knee tendinitis, but went through a hard workout Tuesday and has been cleared to face the Rockets in Houston Thursday. Kuminga has been maybe the brightest spot of the season for the Warriors, but lineups with Kuminga, Green and Jackson-Davis could have spacing issues.

“We haven’t done a lot of (that trio) this year,” Kerr said. “If we do it, Steph (Curry) has to be on the floor and probably Klay. There’s a spacing challenge, for sure. But it’s something we could still go to

https://theathletic.com/5387571/2024/04/03/draymond-green-warriors-defense-mavericks/?source=emp_shared_article
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#48 » by sonnyhill » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:14 pm

Could we also view this topical question as both "START Moody" and "CLOSE with Moody?"

I ask this not to be contrarian, but rather, because of how the Warriors could use "fresher legs," better perimeter-and-"on ball" defense, defensive rebounding, and an ability to finish at the rim on offense at the end of a game.

I am not posting this as another board "attack on Thompson;" yet, Thompson's inability to play perimeter-and-"on ball" defense especially hurts the Warriors' efforts to close out games.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#49 » by Onus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:17 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Onus wrote:Moody needs to play. If he's out of the rotation when JK comes back on Thursday, the pitchforks need to come out.

It's going to be really interesting to see what they do with jk. Does he start? Does he get 30 minutes? What happens to Wiggins, moody, and tjd minutes? Kerr has some big decisions to make. I think those 3 get impacted most from jks return because klay and steph are penciled for 30+ minutes while cp3 and podz get at least 20 minutes.

haha we're going to lose to houston aren't we ...
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,054

Post#50 » by Jester_ » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:21 pm

There is no universe where Klay or CP3 are better players than Moody today. None.

Get this man minutes or find a coach who will
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#51 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:23 pm

Slater just said that he guesses that klay starts for the rest of the season. Rip for moodys chances of starting.....ever for this team.

Moody dnps coming up with jks return.
vvoland
Senior

Post#52 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:I think Moody has to take minutes from GPII going forward.

I agree and would also take some of CP3's (unless he's playing like he did last night) and BP's minutes for moody. The bigger question is, does moody get to close in the 4th?

The last two fourth quarter stints haven't been great in that regard. He was timid/invisible in 5 minutes in the 4th against the spurs with two horrible possessions before he got pulled. Last night, he was in for ~3 minutes and we saw and 11pt lead drop to 2. I'm not saying moody was the reason we gave up the lead, just that he was on the court when it happened and didn't do much to help out.

The game in the 4th really ramps up in terms of physicality, intensity, etc. He hasn't played many 4th quarters and while Kerr has given him some run there in JK's absence, I don't think Moody has done much to make me think he is a closer, right now. Not to say he can't or won't become one, but I don't see one, at the moment. Should we have played him more earlier in the year so we'd have a better idea by this point, definitely. But we're beyond that point now.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#53 » by HiRez » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:36 pm

vvoland wrote:Should we have played him more   earlier in the year   last year so we'd have a better idea by this point, definitely. But we're beyond that point now.

FTFY.
vvoland
Senior

Post#54 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:44 pm

HiRez wrote:
vvoland wrote:Should we have played him more   earlier in the year   last year so we'd have a better idea by this point, definitely. But we're beyond that point now.

FTFY.

I mean, if we're talking last year, yes. Him and JK should have been getting 30+ mins last season when the only other depth we had were two way players that would never work come playoff time.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,093

Post#55 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:26 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Slater just said that he guesses that klay starts for the rest of the season. Rip for moodys chances of starting.....ever for this team.

Predictable as hell. Klay has a mini-run on the bench so of course that proves that he doesnt belong there, even though the entire year he's done better against backups and playing with CP3/size

I know its ultimately Kerr's fault, and also Klay's for the way he plays, but I'm irrationally angry at Podz for all this. Score the **** ball man. Shoot more, hunt for your shot, because if he did, maybe Kerr doesnt look to make a change. And we all knew that Moody was never going to get the start over a healthy Klay, Kerr flat out refuses the notion. So Podz got the opportunity, played Podz-sketball like does (which is still great, but not what we needed to put this **** to bed), and now he's back to being a reserve and we're right back where we started, except TJD's the one who is now going to be benched so we can go back to the already failed lineup of Curry-Klay-Wiggins-JK-Dray

Because THIS TIME, I really think it will work. For no **** reason
vvoland
Senior

Post#56 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:43 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Slater just said that he guesses that klay starts for the rest of the season. Rip for moodys chances of starting.....ever for this team.

Predictable as hell. Klay has a mini-run on the bench so of course that proves that he doesnt belong there, even though the entire year he's done better against backups and playing with CP3/size

I know its ultimately Kerr's fault, and also Klay's for the way he plays, but I'm irrationally angry at Podz for all this. Score the **** ball man. Shoot more, hunt for your shot, because if he did, maybe Kerr doesnt look to make a change. And we all knew that Moody was never going to get the start over a healthy Klay, Kerr flat out refuses the notion. So Podz got the opportunity, played Podz-sketball like does (which is still great, but not what we needed to put this **** to bed), and now he's back to being a reserve and we're right back where we started, except TJD's the one who is now going to be benched so we can go back to the already failed lineup of Curry-Klay-Wiggins-JK-Dray

Ummm, this lineup is +18pts per 100 possessions in 337 possessions, this season. Meaning they've outscored their opponent by 60 points in 3.3 games. Already failed? really? With so much to criticize with this year's team and lineup selection, this is the hill to die on?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#57 » by michaelm » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:49 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Ummm, this lineup is +18pts per 100 possessions in 337 possessions, this season. Meaning they've outscored their opponent by 60 points in 3.3 games. Already failed? really? With so much to criticize with this year's team and lineup selection, this is the hill to die on?

The issue is whether the lineup works in the closing minutes, particularly when the team has a lead.
vvoland
Senior

Post#58 » by vvoland » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:51 pm

michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

The issue is whether the lineup works in the closing minutes, particularly when the team has a lead.

I'm sure there are sites that can give you lineup data in the 4th or in clutch time. Cleaning the glass isn't one of them so I'm out of luck..
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#59 » by michaelm » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:19 am

vvoland wrote:
michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:

I'm sure there are sites that can give you lineup data in the 4th or in clutch time. Cleaning the glass isn't one of them so I'm out of luck..

FNQ/CDM-Stats probably can.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,093

Post#60 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:10 am

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

First off, I dont think you understand what dying on a hill means. And so I'm going to ignore that nonsense and give an actual answer, for people who might have the same question but aren't trying to pick a fight with literally the entire board, because the shtick is old already

Because yes, failed. It started out white hot then petered out. It was going so well that Kerr arbitrarily took Klay out of the SL to put Podz in. Because they started out pummeling some weaker teams - namely PHI, MEM, and UTA and had a much, much higher +/-, and then were handled by actual playoff teams. To michael's point, they were still a net positive with the 5 together.

But this is where statistical literacy comes into play, because the data itself is useless if not applied correctly. When they took Kuminga out of the reserve squad, and effectively placed him in the lineup for Looney, if left the bench effectively in shambles. CP3/GP2/Podz/Saric/Looney/Moody/TJD were the bench options then. The defense and offense suffered, there was an entire imbalance of skillsets, and if it werent for pummeling some crappy teams in a favorable schedule, that lineup would be closer to breaking even than the one with Podz in Klay's place. If you look at the effect on reserve units in both situations, its not even close.

Now that doesnt account for what the Podz lineup did against bad teams too - they also did well against them. Didnt run up the score as high against the bad teams, but still handily beat them. But more importantly, were a +5.3 (net100) against .500+ teams, whereas the one w Klay was a +1.3

And thats before factoring in that Kuminga @ PF and Dray @ C is not sustainable, especially not for as long as Kerr plays the starters together (16mpg roughly). Or before regularizing stats, like thinking Curry/Wiggins/Dray wont shoot a combined 50%+ from 3pt, that a significant falloff in better predictors like rebounding, fouls, turnovers won't eventually bottom out the impact, which it started to do before Kerr switched to Podz to immediately improved results. Its trap data and people who've been gambling a while see it coming a mile away.. a Curry hot streak and a smattering of weak opponents

This is why tracking >>>> metrics. Metrics have 0 context. Anyways, glad to see Kerr's taking stats at face value too, apparently. Not like we need him to be pinpoint to win :dontknow:

Return to Golden State Warriors