Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,542

Re: Wiggins Out for Personal Reasons The Sequel 

Post#41 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:32 pm

watch1958 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Be careful how you answer this .

I have no idea what you guys are on about.
I’m just being stupid!

Were you born on 1958? Be careful how you answer this.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#42 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:32 pm

TB wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Impuniti wrote:If he doesn't come back relatively soon and plays at the level required from him, then he needs to be shipped off immediately once the summer hits.

I don’t care what he does now that the team is more stable and easy schedule. As long as he shows up for playoffs he can take whatever time he needs.

I mean he showed up for the playoffs last year and wasn't even remotely in playoff shape physically or mentally. Part of why we are stable and winning right now is because Wiggins was hitting his stride. This is potentially a major setback for the Warriors that will require Moody to instantly produce in Wiggins spot. I think he can do it but this isn't ideal.

Wiggins is the least of the Warriors problems during the playoffs. They were dead in the water last year when Kerr decided to play Curry Poole and Klay together and not develop the young talent but instead looked after journeyman non careers. I see Wiggins got the eye of the tiger look now. I don’t worry about at all about Wiggins.

The major setback this year has been Kerr trotting out Klay and punishing by putting him in position to fail and punishing Dray as center by sticking him with midgets. Moody may make mistakes, but he will gain experience to help out later. If you’re worried about seeding, you can thank Kerr for throwing so many winnable games away this year.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#43 » by TB » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:20 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
TB wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:I don’t care what he does now that the team is more stable and easy schedule. As long as he shows up for playoffs he can take whatever time he needs.

I mean he showed up for the playoffs last year and wasn't even remotely in playoff shape physically or mentally. Part of why we are stable and winning right now is because Wiggins was hitting his stride. This is potentially a major setback for the Warriors that will require Moody to instantly produce in Wiggins spot. I think he can do it but this isn't ideal.

Wiggins is the least of the Warriors problems during the playoffs. They were dead in the water last year when Kerr decided to play Curry Poole and Klay together and not develop the young talent but instead looked after journeyman non careers. I see Wiggins got the eye of the tiger look now. I don’t worry about at all about Wiggins.

The major setback this year has been Kerr trotting out Klay and punishing by putting him in position to fail and punishing Dray as center by sticking him with midgets. Moody may make mistakes, but he will gain experience to help out later. If you’re worried about seeding, you can thank Kerr for throwing so many winnable games away this year.

I agree with everything you said, I just worry this could be a setback in the progress Wiggins was making back to his 2022 self. Sooner he's back the better, hopefully after a nice stretch from Moody.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#44 » by Romulus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:43 pm

What would happen if they told him no, that you don't get to abandon the team two years in a row for personal reasons, and that if you do, your contract is void? What would happen then?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,281

Post#45 » by xdrta+ » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:49 pm

Romulus wrote:What would happen if they told him no, that you don't get to abandon the team two years in a row for personal reasons, and that if you do, your contract is void? What would happen then?

No one knows, but what do you think would happen?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Post#46 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:52 pm

ahhh I love a reboot

so to go over the greatest hits:

- no one should care about Joe Lacob's money and how its spent, so advocating punishing him financially for a situation that's not public is a special kind of jackassery
- trading him would mean taking back a worse player who IS present all the time as this obv doesnt help his trade value
- no idea when he's coming back (but is again opening the door for a young player)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#47 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Fortunately we have more guys who need time than we have time available right now, so it's not the worst. What I don't like is all the lineups and rotations keep constantly shifting around due to all these absences, including the young players proving they need to play more (which is a good thing). It makes it difficult to get into a rhythm with matchups and for Kerr to nail down the right substitutions when the menu keeps changing on a week to week and even day to day basis. Draymond with the suspensions, Wiggins with yet another unexplained and possible extended absence, Looney's decline (?), and CP3, GP2 and others in and out with injuries. Then Wiggs, Klay, and even Steph at times with some super uneven play where you don't know what you're going to get on a given night, everything from championship-level superstars to complete disaster. It's been a weird year.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#48 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:14 am

Missed the game at NY.

Is he in Toronto, is that where his family is?

If he doesn’t play on the road trip, looks like he may be taking most of the rest of the regular season off.

Again.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#49 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:56 am

not extreme enough. If he doesnt play tomorrow, he'll never play basketball again
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#50 » by thunderdunk » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:03 am

Tonight all of the starters kicked ***. Moody led the team at +23 subbing for Wiggins in 26 minutes. I sure hope Wiggs is OK, but Moody played great in his absence. Klay BTW was a team-worst -13 in 26 minutes. And Kerr has finally stopped throwing him out there to finish games. Addition by subtraction. All the kids are definitely helping the team win games.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#51 » by TB » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:36 am

CDM_Stats wrote:not extreme enough. If he doesnt play tomorrow, he'll never play basketball again

And if he DOES play tomorrow, Moody will never play basketball again. These are the rules.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#52 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:40 am

TB wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:not extreme enough. If he doesnt play tomorrow, he'll never play basketball again

And if he DOES play tomorrow, Moody will never play basketball again. These are the rules.

As long as klay gets 30 minutes, there's no other rule that needs to be adhered to.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#53 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:45 am

TB wrote:

2nd apron is really punitive
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#54 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:34 am

The Warriors have declined to give a definitive timetable on Wiggins’ expected absence. “We’ll obviously respect Andrew’s wishes for this to remain private. Personal reasons.” Wiggins missed the final 25 games last season to attend to a personal matter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/1b355ya/slater_the_warriors_have_declined_to_give_a/

There are 24 games remaining in the regular season. Wiggins has missed two.

Any duration over 1-2 weeks, his conditioning is going to need to catch up so it’s like a 3-4 weeks of not being available or available at peak mid season fitness.

An extended absence of a month or more and he’s going to have the same weight/strength deficits as last years playoffs and the start of this season.

Windhorst and Steven A. Smith were talking like they knew the reason for the absence, something involving family again but could be more than just a couple of games.

Again.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,225

Post#55 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:15 am

MORE. MINUTES. FOR MOSES. MOODY!
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,444

Post#56 » by svart » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:32 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
I have no idea what you guys are on about.
I’m just being stupid!

Were you born on 1958? Be careful how you answer this.

Were you born on 1994? Be careful how you answer this
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,542

Post#57 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:07 pm

thunderdunk wrote:Tonight all of the starters kicked ***. Moody led the team at +23 subbing for Wiggins in 26 minutes. I sure hope Wiggs is OK, but Moody played great in his absence. Klay BTW was a team-worst -13 in 26 minutes. And Kerr has finally stopped throwing him out there to finish games. Addition by subtraction. All the kids are definitely helping the team win games.

I feel like a properly utilized Moody is the missing link for us to being vaulted into contender status. He works really well as a connector on offense, providing spacing and a bit of inside finishing, plus he's another versatile, long defender we can add along with Green, GP2, Kuminga and Wiggins.

Just being clear, I'm not talking about taking Wiggins or Klay out of the rotation, just a matter of staggering Moody's minutes so can player in the low 20's at least.

Maybe reducing Looney and Saric's minutes, plus a bit of Klay's, is the solution.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#58 » by Impuniti » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:56 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
TB wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:I don’t care what he does now that the team is more stable and easy schedule. As long as he shows up for playoffs he can take whatever time he needs.

No player is able to take time off and just come back with the perfect rhythm. On top of that, they need him because it's a huge difference to making 6th vs playing two play-in games (presuming they even win). Add to it even more with Kerr's disturbing hardon for overplaying all these old timers and then wondering why they keep getting punked on the 4th quarter with regularity.

Playoffs are often won by small 1-2% extra for a certain player or team here and there, and the idea that Wiggins can come back whenever and just be that good where it doesn't matter is crazy arrogant to me. I really don't get this thinking.

I don't know what issues he has with his family, I really do wish him the best when it comes to his personal problems. But he needs to get his bags packed up and sent to another city this summer. If you don't play, you have no value as a player. Especially one that gets 25 million a year and is pivotal to the success of the team.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#59 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:23 pm

Impuniti wrote:No player is able to take time off and just come back with the perfect rhythm. On top of that, they need him because it's a huge difference to making 6th vs playing two play-in games (presuming they even win). Add to it even more with Kerr's disturbing hardon for overplaying all these old timers and then wondering why they keep getting punked on the 4th quarter with regularity.

Playoffs are often won by small 1-2% extra for a certain player or team here and there, and the idea that Wiggins can come back whenever and just be that good where it doesn't matter is crazy arrogant to me. I really don't get this thinking.

I don't know what issues he has with his family, I really do wish him the best when it comes to his personal problems. But he needs to get his bags packed up and sent to another city this summer. If you don't play, you have no value as a player. Especially one that gets 25 million a year and is pivotal to the success of the team.

for what?

Does it suck he's left the team again? Absolutely.. but what if the beginning of the season Wiggins was a result of *not* taking the time off then? We know how good Wiggins can be when on this team, we also know how bereft the team is of value to add in any trades.. no cap space, no 1st this year, very little chance of improvement. And if we sell Wiggins low, we're probably not going to get anything good in return. Don't make a bad situation worse.. odds are still very against Wiggins being out as long as he was last season. And unlike last season, the correct person is being dropped in his place, a player that was inexplicably out of the rotation before this

With Podz hitting a bit of a wall in his shooting and Klay sinking fast, there's just as good a chance that Moody integrates himself into the rotation while reducing the minutes of struggling teammates just in time for the playoffs. And if Wiggins struggles upon returning, Moody can eat those minutes too. Its a lot lower risk than last year when Kuminga was thrown into the SF role, frequently with Draymond/Looney, and spacing suffered. Or when that POS 40 ate a bunch of the minutes
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#60 » by Onus » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:31 pm

We looked at Wiggins market this year and while a lot of teams wanted him, those teams had nothing of value to offer us back. We're stuck with Wiggins which is fine because he's a good 2 way wing who can shut down anyone. He's absolutely necessary if we want to make any run in the playoffs.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors