ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

billinder33
Junior
And1: 84

Re: Steve Kerr signs 2 yr extention, god help/s us. 

Post#181 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 pm

Yeah, I'll never understand the 'fans' here. Those who claim they'll stop watching if Klay comes back or if Kerr is still here. THESE GUYS BROUGHT YOU 4 TITLES IN 10 YEARS!!

The 'fans' here showed more loyalty during Cohan's ownership, and I can't for the life of me understand why.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#182 » by Senchu » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

Hitler also was considered a great leader before 1939.
What I’m trying to say is that you can be great and then later you can become terrible.
Anyways Kerr + Klay = Hitler

(Hope they don’t read this cause I appreciate them).
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#183 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm

billinder33 wrote:Yeah, I'll never understand the 'fans' here. Those who claim they'll stop watching if Klay comes back or if Kerr is still here. THESE GUYS BROUGHT YOU 4 TITLES IN 10 YEARS!!

The 'fans' here showed more loyalty during Cohan's ownership, and I can't for the life of me understand why.

I'm very appreciative and grateful what Klay has done for the organization. But he's currently an anchor around the team's neck and dragging everyone down and it's been happening for 3 years straight. Players get visibly upset on the court about the breakdowns they turn to see who it is and then they just sag their shoulders and do a big sigh.

If Steve was actually able to coach Klay and say that stuff is unacceptable and bench him. Maybe those things stop. If Kerr was able to actually coach and play the players that are actually giving full effort and able to execute the game plan then maybe the team would be watchable. Look at the 5 games Klay did not play this year. The team played completely different and we basically blew the teams out all 5 games. Kerr is taking all of the meritocracy out of the game, which is what sports is all about. That's the beauty of sports. It's not about race, politics or any of the other silly **** that plagues every day life. It's just about whether or not you can play and give full effort. Kerr and Klay are making this about themselves over the team. It's basically akin to being a 1% and doing whatever the hell you want because you're the 1% and it's gross to watch. The meritocracy of sports is being absolutely trampled on in favor of trying to get someone a contract. Sports is about whether you can perform or not, if you can't perform then you don't play. But no we have to sit through 30+ minutes of klay struggling and being selfish because of what he was able to do 5 years ago? How many sit downs and team meetings and player only meetings does the team have to go through to tell Klay to pass the ball. Stop taking horrible shots. Trust your teammates.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,071

Post#184 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Oh are we at the “if you don’t eat the sh*t salad they serve then you aren’t a true fan” part of the off-season?

God I missed these.. most posters are post-Steph and don’t remember that chorus every single year. Hope I’m a real fan now, it was devastating when my fandom was in question on the internet

Arguably the people who want Klay gone are bigger fans of the team too.. he’s hurting the team when paired with Kerr so they want what’s best for the front of the jersey, not the back
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,282

Post#185 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm

Are you a Warriors fan?

Or just a fan of being able to pontificate on how much better you know the game than anyone else, not just other fans but the coaches and players?
vvoland
Senior
And1: 104

Post#186 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

Onus wrote:
billinder33 wrote:Yeah, I'll never understand the 'fans' here. Those who claim they'll stop watching if Klay comes back or if Kerr is still here. THESE GUYS BROUGHT YOU 4 TITLES IN 10 YEARS!!

I'm very appreciative and grateful what Klay has done for the organization. But he's currently an anchor around the team's neck and dragging everyone down and it's been happening for 3 years straight. Players get visibly upset on the court about the breakdowns they turn to see who it is and then they just sag their shoulders and do a big sigh.

If Steve was actually able to coach Klay and say that stuff is unacceptable and bench him. Maybe those things stop. If Kerr was able to actually coach and play the players that are actually giving full effort and able to execute the game plan then maybe the team would be watchable. Look at the 5 games Klay did not play this year. The team played completely different and we basically blew the teams out all 5 games. Kerr is taking all of the meritocracy out of the game, which is what sports is all about. That's the beauty of sports. It's not about race, politics or any of the other silly **** that plagues every day life. It's just about whether or not you can play and give full effort. Kerr and Klay are making this about themselves over the team. It's basically akin to being a 1% and doing whatever the hell you want because you're the 1% and it's gross to watch. The meritocracy of sports is being absolutely trampled on in favor of trying to get someone a contract. Sports is about whether you can perform or not, if you can't perform then you don't play. But no we have to sit through 30+ minutes of klay struggling and being selfish because of what he was able to do 5 years ago? How many sit downs and team meetings and player only meetings does the team have to go through to tell Klay to pass the ball. Stop taking horrible shots. Trust your teammates.

This is so much projection, it's hard to ignore. You really can't even imagine that Kerr just thought Klay was the better option to Moody? He certainly played podz, cp3 and wigs plenty of minutes. The question really came down to, moody vs klay. Maybe all this 1% stuff you're saying is true but maybe... just maybe, and bear with me here, moody is not that good? I'm not sure, he's still only 21 and hasn't gotten much run but, it is certainly possible that instead of favoritism or prioritizing Klay's contract or destroying the meritocracy, Kerr just thought/thinks Klay was a better player than moody? You might disagree, I'm not even sure I agree with Kerr on that assessment but I don't find it ridiculous that he may be correct. If Kerr really is trying to get Klay a contract (seems like such a ridiculous take, to be honest) then why did Kerr pull Klay at predetermined times in the game when he was red hot? Wouldn't he milk those moments for all they're worth and not pull Klay until he cools off? Assuming he's coaching to try to get Klay paid.

If you thought this season was gross to watch, did you ever watch the Mike Montgomery years? Keith Smart? You thought Kerr had weird rotations and bad schemes? How about the years Nellie came back to collect a paycheck and mentally checked out before the season started? You think there have been questionable moves made, how about trading jrich, after one of the best late season/early playoff runs ever, for a draft pick to save money? Did any of these guys who stopped watching in Dec because, "Klay! Kerr!" watch any games before the Kerr/Curry combo? Did they call themselves warriors fans before this team started winning? None of them need to prove their loyalties or whatever. But it is weird that people that have such strong takes about Kerr or Klay have admitted to not watching over half the season (not saying that is you).

If I was a fan of the team only when they did what I wanted, played who I wanted and acted like I wanted, I would have no teams to root for.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,253

Post#187 » by Impuniti » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Oh are we at the “if you don’t eat the sh*t salad they serve then you aren’t a true fan” part of the off-season?

God I missed these.. most posters are post-Steph and don’t remember that chorus every single year. Hope I’m a real fan now, it was devastating when my fandom was in question on the internet

Arguably the people who want Klay gone are bigger fans of the team too.. he’s hurting the team when paired with Kerr so they want what’s best for the front of the jersey, not the back

I don't think either side are bigger fans of the team, but the ones that want Klay or think he's good are either clouded with way too much emotional attachment.. or I pray for their understanding of the game. :lol:
vvoland
Senior

Post#188 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Oh are we at the “if you don’t eat the sh*t salad they serve then you aren’t a true fan” part of the off-season?

Arguably, people who watch games regardless of who is playing are bigger fans of the team than they are their own opinions about what the team should do. I have a hard time believing that people that stopped watching this team in the middle of the year because, "KLAY!," will watch this team post curry or watched it pre curry. Listening to their opinions about what the team should do or how good they are is a waste of time since, by their own admissions, they've checked out months ago and haven't seen the team since late '23.

You don't have to eat the salad or any of that. You can criticize the staff, players, FO, etc. Saying, "i'm not going to watch unless the team does what I want them to do" is petulant, childish behavior. That's what it comes down to, the team isn't doing what some fan wants so therefore, they're hurting the organization or whatever. The level of condescension required for that take is immense.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 456

Post#189 » by superunknown » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

and?
you are as good as your last game.
this is not 2015 or 2018 anymore. this is 2024. and in the last couple of seasons klay fell off a cliff and kerr didn't show to be part of the solution. and not only with the warriors. look at what happen with team USA at the last world cup. they even get to the podium. how bad is that?
they HAVE BEEN all-time great for the organization, nobody denies that, everyone will always be grateful to them for what they BROUGHT to the organization, but at some point it comes the time to move on and make some changes.
what is hard to understand is this attachment to certain people and this willingness to ride into the sunset with this core (coach included) despite the level of performance and the team results over the last years. the same kerr said it recently : “This is life. This is how it works. You don’t get to stay on top forever.” so if you cannot be able to stay on top anymore it's time to go, it's time for the organization to move on from you.
Onus
RealGM

Post#190 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 pm

vvoland wrote:This is so much projection, it's hard to ignore. You really can't even imagine that Kerr just thought Klay was the better option to Moody? He certainly played podz, cp3 and wigs plenty of minutes. The question really came down to, moody vs klay. Maybe all this 1% stuff you're saying is true but maybe... just maybe, and bear with me here, moody is not that good? I'm not sure, he's still only 21 and hasn't gotten much run but, it is certainly possible that instead of favoritism or prioritizing Klay's contract or destroying the meritocracy, Kerr just thought/thinks Klay was a better player than moody? You might disagree, I'm not even sure I agree with Kerr on that assessment but I don't find it ridiculous that he may be correct.

The warriors are 47-21 without klay thompson since his return. We are 96-82 with him.

It literally doesn't matter who replaces Klay whether it's Jordan Poole, Moses Moody, Brandin Podziemski our record is better with any of these players replacing Klay. Whether Moses isn't good enough or not it doesn't matter the team plays better without Klay. We could probably play Lester in that spot and we'd still be better. That's how destructive Klay is.

If Kerr really is trying to get Klay a contract (seems like such a ridiculous take, to be honest) then why did Kerr pull Klay at predetermined times in the game when he was red hot? Wouldn't he milk those moments for all they're worth and not pull Klay until he cools off? Assuming he's coaching to try to get Klay paid.

Because Kerr has no sense of game flow. He has pre-determined rotations. He's more worried about how many minutes you play versus how you play in those minutes. Which is crazy that he got extended.

If you thought this season was gross to watch, did you ever watch the Mike Montgomery years? Keith Smart? You thought Kerr had weird rotations and bad schemes? How about the years Nellie came back to collect a paycheck and mentally checked out before the season started? You think there have been questionable moves made, how about trading jrich, after one of the best late season/early playoff runs ever, for a draft pick to save money? Did any of these guys who stopped watching in Dec because, "Klay! Kerr!" watch any games before the Kerr/Curry combo? Did they call themselves warriors fans before this team started winning? None of them need to prove their loyalties or whatever. But it is weird that people that have such strong takes about Kerr or Klay have admitted to not watching over half the season (not saying that is you).

If I was a fan of the team only when they did what I wanted, played who I wanted and acted like I wanted, I would have no teams to root for.

Really those teams had no chance. I mean still frustrating to watch but deep down you knew at best we'd make the playoffs and get waxed. Right now we have a goat tier player who is still capable of playing at a high level. Because of Steph the expectations are much higher. And seeing them squander the last few opportunities that he has left to compete at a high level demands more attention to detail. This is the time were everything has to come together for his last chance. We can't lose at the margins like we've done in the past. That's what makes it more frustrating than those past **** ups. Once Steph retires I'm resigned to the fact that we're going to be in the dark ages for a long time and I'll probably be watching the long slog back to find someone worthy to take us out of the doldrums again. But what I will not watch is an organization that will just flippantly throw away the last years of Steph's career.

And to be fair, I was one of Klay's biggest supporters when people wanted him traded and were calling him klay ups. I argued that he was better than Barnes and had a much higher ceiling than Barnes back when those were the discussions.
vvoland
Senior

Post#191 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:This is so much projection, it's hard to ignore. You really can't even imagine that Kerr just thought Klay was the better option to Moody? He certainly played podz, cp3 and wigs plenty of minutes. The question really came down to, moody vs klay. Maybe all this 1% stuff you're saying is true but maybe... just maybe, and bear with me here, moody is not that good? I'm not sure, he's still only 21 and hasn't gotten much run but, it is certainly possible that instead of favoritism or prioritizing Klay's contract or destroying the meritocracy, Kerr just thought/thinks Klay was a better player than moody? You might disagree, I'm not even sure I agree with Kerr on that assessment but I don't find it ridiculous that he may be correct.

The warriors are 47-21 without klay thompson since his return. We are 96-82 with him.

It literally doesn't matter who replaces Klay whether it's Jordan Poole, Moses Moody, Brandin Podziemski our record is better with any of these players replacing Klay. Whether Moses isn't good enough or not it doesn't matter the team plays better without Klay. We could probably play Lester in that spot and we'd still be better. That's how destructive Klay is.

If Kerr really is trying to get Klay a contract (seems like such a ridiculous take, to be honest) then why did Kerr pull Klay at predetermined times in the game when he was red hot? Wouldn't he milk those moments for all they're worth and not pull Klay until he cools off? Assuming he's coaching to try to get Klay paid.

Because Kerr has no sense of game flow. He has pre-determined rotations. He's more worried about how many minutes you play versus how you play in those minutes. Which is crazy that he got extended.

Really those teams had no chance. I mean still frustrating to watch but deep down you knew at best we'd make the playoffs and get waxed. Right now we have a goat tier player who is still capable of playing at a high level. Because of Steph the expectations are much higher. And seeing them squander the last few opportunities that he has left to compete at a high level demands more attention to detail. This is the time were everything has to come together for his last chance. We can't lose at the margins like we've done in the past. That's what makes it more frustrating than those past **** ups. Once Steph retires I'm resigned to the fact that we're going to be in the dark ages for a long time and I'll probably be watching the long slog back to find someone worthy to take us out of the doldrums again. But what I will not watch is an organization that will just flippantly throw away the last years of Steph's career.

And to be fair, I was one of Klay's biggest supporters when people wanted him traded and were calling him klay ups. I argued that he was better than Barnes and had a much higher ceiling than Barnes back when those were the discussions.

Klay missed 68 games since he came back? Really? He missed 5 this season, 13 last year and...?
Onus
RealGM

Post#192 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:

Klay missed 68 games since he came back? Really? He missed 5 this season, 13 last year and...?

The Golden State Warriors had a record of 36-14 without Klay Thompson in 2021-22.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warrior%27s+record+without+klay+thompson+2022

The Golden State Warriors were 6-7 without Klay Thompson in 2022-23.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warrior%27s+record+without+klay+thompson+2023

The Golden State Warriors were 5-0 without Klay Thompson this season.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warrior%27s+record+without+klay+thompson+2024
billinder33
Junior

Post#193 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm

superunknown wrote:

and?
you are as good as your last game.
this is not 2015 or 2018 anymore. this is 2024. and in the last couple of seasons klay fell off a cliff and kerr didn't show to be part of the solution. and not only with the warriors. look at what happen with team USA at the last world cup. they even get to the podium. how bad is that?
they HAVE BEEN all-time great for the organization, nobody denies that, everyone will always be grateful to them for what they BROUGHT to the organization, but at some point it comes the time to move on and make some changes.
what is hard to understand is this attachment to certain people and this willingness to ride into the sunset with this core (coach included) despite the level of performance and the team results over the last years. the same kerr said it recently : “This is life. This is how it works. You don’t get to stay on top forever.” so if you cannot be able to stay on top anymore it's time to go, it's time for the organization to move on from you.

vvoland
Senior

Post#194 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:The warriors are 47-21 without klay thompson since his return. We are 96-82 with him.

The Golden State Warriors had a record of 36-14 without Klay Thompson in 2021-22.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warrior%27s+record+without+klay+thompson+2022

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warrior%27s+record+without+klay+thompson+2023

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warrior%27s+record+without+klay+thompson+2024

That is incredibly disingenuous. You're going to count the games BEFORE he came back from injury and you're going to call it 'since his return?' I'm sure you remember that in the 21-22 season he came back Jan 9th. If you're going to count the record the dubs had BEFORE he came back, be honest about it.

That would be like me going back to the 19-20 season and using that record to showcase how valuable Klay is to the team. What is the team's record since he actually came back from injury? I'm guessing it's much worse than what you claim. When you factor that most of the games he missed SINCE HIS RETURN were b2b's, probably against the weaker of the b2b opponent, I'm curious how sincere you are when you bring up these numbers.
billinder33
Junior

Post#195 » by billinder33 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm

Onus wrote:Once Steph retires I'm resigned to the fact that we're going to be in the dark ages for a long time and I'll probably be watching the long slog back to find someone worthy to take us out of the doldrums again.

I'm not resigned to that at all. I may be short-term bearish, but I'm definitely long-term bullish on the Ws.

Lacob is a hell of an owner and will figure out the post-Steph era, and I don't think it's going to take him a decade or two to get the team back in contention. Organizational success starts at the very top, and Lacob has proven he's got incredible operational skills and a willingness to spend what it takes. Most owners don't have anywhere near Lacob's track record, going back to the minority stake in the championship Celtics. Winning starts with ownership, and as an owner Lacob floats in rarified air.

Onus wrote:But what I will not watch is an organization that will just flippantly throw away the last years of Steph's career.

They aren't flippantly throwing it away. Steph has been adamant and public until now about wanting Klay and Dray on the team (maybe less so after this season). They've had league's highest salary. They made a big move to dump erratic, careless-with-the-ball, malcontent JP and bring in an efficient vet who values possessions. Dun reportedly tried hard to make something happen at the trade DL, but it takes 2 to tango. Lack of runaway success doesn't point to "flippantly throwing it away". I was around for the Cohan era so I know what "flippantly throwing it away" looks like and this ain't it.
Onus
RealGM

Post#196 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

That is incredibly disingenuous. You're going to count the games BEFORE he came back from injury and you're going to call it 'since his return?' I'm sure you remember that in the 21-22 season he came back Jan 9th. If you're going to count the record the dubs had BEFORE he came back, be honest about it.

That would be like me going back to the 19-20 season and using that record to showcase how valuable Klay is to the team. What is the team's record since he actually came back from injury? I'm guessing it's much worse than what you claim. When you factor that most of the games he missed SINCE HIS RETURN were b2b's, probably against the weaker of the b2b opponent, I'm curious how sincere you are when you bring up these numbers.

Sorry if you have a better prompt for statmuse by all means find what ever numbers that suit you.

and yes the year he came back the warriors were a juggernaut, he came back and then we started losing. That most definitely should be on his record since he tanked that season with his come back and was forced into the starting lineup.
vvoland
Senior

Post#197 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:The Golden State Warriors had a record of 36-14 without Klay Thompson in 2021-22.

Sorry if you have a better prompt for statmuse by all means find what ever numbers that suit you.

and yes the year he came back the warriors were a juggernaut, he came back and then we started losing. That most definitely should be on his record since he tanked that season with his come back and was forced into the starting lineup.

He came back and draymond got hurt, THEN we started losing. Dray literally got hurt for 2 months the same day Klay came back. But sure, let's blame Klay. Dray missed two months, came back in March, we went 1-6 as Dray ramped up his minutes and then we went on a run, once Dray was relatively healthy, that culminated with a title.

You can't find the stats on statmuse that are an honest representation of what you're trying to show so you use stats that are misleading, at best, dishonest, at worst. Sums up the level of discourse as it comes to Klay on this board.
Onus
RealGM

Post#198 » by Onus » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

He came back and draymond got hurt, THEN we started losing. Dray literally got hurt for 2 months the same day Klay came back. But sure, let's blame Klay. Dray missed two months, came back in March, we went 1-6 as Dray ramped up his minutes and then we went on a run, once Dray was relatively healthy, that culminated with a title.

You can't find the stats on statmuse that are an honest representation of what you're trying to show so you use stats that are misleading, at best, dishonest, at worst. Sums up the level of discourse as it comes to Klay on this board.

Fine you don't want to use 2022 numbers. 5-0 this year all being double digits wins except for the last one that was an 8 point win.
vvoland
Senior

Post#199 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:Sorry if you have a better prompt for statmuse by all means find what ever numbers that suit you.

Fine you don't want to use 2022 numbers. 5-0 this year all being double digits wins except for the last one that was an 8 point win.

5 games - one hell of a sample size. 6-7 last year, so maybe not so cut and dry.

Let's look at these 5 games, by the way:

11/30 @ NOP without Trey Murhpy or Ingram
1/30 vs PHI without Maxey and Embiid injured in that game (and was clearly hobbled before the JK fall)
2/8 @ Ind with Haliburton just coming back from injury
3/29 @ CHA
4/11 @ POR

Which of those are quality wins? Maybe Indy?
vvoland
Senior

Post#200 » by vvoland » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:Sorry if you have a better prompt for statmuse by all means find what ever numbers that suit you.

I do want to use the 2022 numbers, but only if it's apples to apples, not apples to toyotas. If YOU want to use 2022 data to show this team is better when Klay doesn't play, use the post 1/9 schedule. You don't need stat muse, you can look at the boxscores to see the games klay missed and how we did.

Return to Golden State Warriors