ImageImageImageImageImage

2/14 Game 52 Clippers (35-17) @ Warriors (26-25) 7pm ESPN

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Which are you tuning into? Local broadcast or ESPN broadcast?

Local! Fitz & Kelenna
43%
ESPN - Her different takes.
50%
Both.
7%

Total votes: 14

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Re: 2/14 Game 52 Clippers (35-17) @ Warriors (26-25) 7pm ESPN 

Post#301 » by Impuniti » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:32 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
superunknown wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Everyone grabbing at the low hanging fruit by blaming Klay and Kerr for the loss.

Klay left the game with over 6 minutes to go and the Warriors were up 2. He didn't return until there were 48 seconds left.

Did he make a boneheaded play? Yes, but the Clippers rolled while he was on the bench with the guys everyone wants to play on the floor.

The Clippers were putting Draymond in the PNR which didn't allow him to roam free on defense and got clean looks on corner 3's and cutting to the basket. Dray also got called for a moving screen and then helped too much off of the Clippers hottest shooter in Powell for a huge 3 to put LA up 6. Curry with under a minute and a half helps too much off of Coffey for another corner 3. Then the Warriors cut it to 4 only to let Coffey get all the way to the hoop through 4 defenders and fouled him to put the Clippers up 6 with 48 seconds to go.

Plenty of blame to go around.

4/14, 1/9 from 3, standard non D, killed all momentum as usual when on the floor with dumb shots, bonehead play in the end. and kerr plays him almost 30 mins when he looked cooked from the start. 30 mins in excess.

Never said Klay had a good game but the Warriors had the lead, the players on the floor everyone wants, and the wheels came off.

Again, plenty of blame to go around.

They went down from 11 to 2. Yes they had the lead and could have still won, it's much harder to do so with that momentum. Noone thinks Klay is the only issue, but he and Kerr are the x factors. Momentum is not some crazy concept. Curry was shooting super mediocre vs the Jazz until 1 three went in the 4th and he proceeded to eviscerate them in 3 minutes just because of that basket.

Klay makes it harder for guys to win, that's why he's an anchor. Doesn't mean they can't win with him, but it sure as hell is a tall order.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#302 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:#1 problem is Steve Kerr. Klay sucks, Steve is the one playing the wrong guys. Man I'm tired of this crap. Moses Moody, 8 minutes of electric hustle and then glued to the pine.

I absolutely am loathe to say this, but I am EXHAUSTED with Klay Thompson. All the talk during and after games about his changing role/attitude, and it's just the same selfish guy who can't handle his decline. And there you have Steve Kerr, his enabler.

Steve was supposed to be the one to help Klay age gracefully... instead he's made him age terribly. Klay gets clowned on in every game thread. Reddit, RealGM General Board, everyone sees this guy is washed and it's just so painful from both the legacy of Klay and the reality of Klay.

I think I watched roughly 35 of the team's first 40 games. When I noticed that Kerr and Klay were more or less sabotaging the season, I stopped watching the games.

You know, here in Brazil it's a drag to watch the games. They start so late, around midnight for me, and usually finish around 2 or 3am. So imagine me having to wake up around 6:30am/7am in a week's day. But I did the sacrifice because I loved the team.

The last 15 games, I think I watched 2. No more getting pissed off, no more cursing at the TV, no more sleeping 3 or 4 hours, then going to work like a zombie. That's it.

Going by what I've watched, I'd say we should have at least 8 more wins, just if we had proper coaching. I mean, not genius coaching/strategy/whatever, but simply common sense coaching, knowing when to recognize substitution pattern, adjusting for matchups, keeping guys who had a hot hand going on, etc.

I think I’m joining you in not watching. I think I have enough information to predict what will happen with yesterday’s loss to a contender. If Klay starts, I don’t need to watch to guess the outcome for most games. Unless Kerr changes the lineup, I will save myself the frustration.

I’ll check back in the box scores occasionally to see if there are new starters, but to save myself 3 hours, the headache of watching stupidity, and sleeping early. The trade off is easy for me to choose.

I do have to say is they need to make the change now and build chemistry for the playoffs. And if Kerr, doesn’t want to do that. Good luck with his broadcasting career next year and it’ll be nice having Nick Kerr moving back home.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#303 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Simply put, Kuminga better play better against the Jazz.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#304 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
HiRez wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
JK is a black hole and TJD plays within the offense. TJDs presence and passing create space for other player. That's the difference.

Dude, you really need to start looking with a fresh set of eyes. JK was a black hole, but he really is not now. He's doing a great job of moving the ball around and passing out, I would even say he should have take a few to the rim last night instead. 6 assists last night. He's averaging 3.4 assists/gm in February. I've said it a million times now, but he's still not a finished product yet. He's learning. But there ARE definite positive trend lines for him and that includes moving the ball more. On the other had, he's become a pretty reliable and efficient scorer, and from that standpoint you actually don't want him passing the ball every time. Kuminga is a big reason the Warriors are winning games in the last few months because in him they not only have more scoring, but an alternative way to score and warp defenses that no one else was providing.

Jk is doing some things on offense that the dubs need.

But, he really needs to develop a counter because he doesn't have. It will be interesting to see what he does when teams start planning for him and wall up.

His defense, but especially his defensive rebounding is a bigger concern. I'm not sure those can be fixed because it seems to be more of an awareness problem than an experience one.

I still not in as him being the next giannis many think he will be. But, I hope he proves me wrong.

I agree he's gonna have to adjust. But theoretically that should open up opportunities for his teammates. That's what I meant about warping the defense in a different way than Steph and Klay do. It's more spacing them inside-out than side to side. And assuming we have guys who can still knock down 3s at a high rate like Steph, Podz (Moody?), that should work in reverse and open driving lanes for Kuminga and Wiggs. I think Kuminga still needs to get better at recognizing where and when those lanes are opening and closing, positioning himself to find the seams, and make quick-strike actions because when he doesn't hesitate and he has a lane, it's really hard for anyone to stop him. If they wall off, he's got to see that coming and have his 1, 2, 3 passing options ready. I think TJD could really help there because with his size and great hands, he gives Kuminga interior passing options beyond just having to pass back out to the perimeter, where defenses can anticipate and pick off that pass.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#305 » by Impuniti » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:14 pm

killmongrel wrote:Simply put, Kuminga better play better against the Jazz.

That's a bad matchup for him
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#306 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:18 pm

Impuniti wrote:

I'm just saying, since being anointed "second option" he needs to start acting like it more consistently.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,444

Post#307 » by svart » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:40 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Impuniti wrote:

I'm just saying, since being anointed "second option" he needs to start acting like it more consistently.

Second options have bad matchups too, you know.....
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#308 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:41 pm

svart wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Impuniti wrote:That's a bad matchup for him

I understand. But he's gotta show something more often than not. Gotta show something tonight.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#309 » by thunderdunk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 pm

So, all the starters with negative +/-, all the bench with positive. Klay shot like garbage from 3. TJD got no minutes. Dubs couldn't hold a big lead (again). No transition defense. Powell got hot at the end and won the Clips the game. Dubs couldn't beat Clips, missing Kawhi. These guys are still not ready for prime time. Now that the deadline has passed, looking forward to some (hopefully) major adjustments over the summer.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#310 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:06 pm

killmongrel wrote:
svart wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

I understand. But he's gotta show something more often than not. Gotta show something tonight.

For the last 2 months, he HAS been showing something more often than not. His games range for sure (like pretty much all players), but almost all of them in that not-so-short span have been good to excellent, and very few bad. I don't even think he was bad in the Clippers game, although you do. 13 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 to, 2 fouls on 6-13 shooting isn't his best work, but it's hardly terrible. And he played some good defense in that game.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#311 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:08 pm

thunderdunk wrote:So, all the starters with negative +/-, all the bench with positive. Klay shot like garbage from 3. TJD got no minutes. Dubs couldn't hold a big lead (again). No transition defense. Powell got hot at the end and won the Clips the game. Dubs couldn't beat Clips, missing Kawhi. These guys are still not ready for prime time. Now that the deadline has passed, looking forward to some (hopefully) major adjustments over the summer.

Yeah, as good as this team might be, it's just not enough to be a serious contender. Even during their win steak, I never felt that they were and have been looking towards the summer for a while now.

Just hoping to see Kuminga and the young players getting better.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#312 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:11 pm

HiRez wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
svart wrote:

For the last 2 months, he HAS been showing something more often than not. His games range for sure (like pretty much all players), but almost all of them in that not-so-short span have been good to excellent, and very few bad. I don't even think he was bad in the Clippers game, although you do. 13 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 to, 2 fouls on 6-13 shooting isn't his best work, but it's hardly terrible. And he played some good defense in that game.

No, I agree. Overall, he's been good this season. Just can't get into this false sense of security that he's done enough already. Two games now where he's looked kinda meh considering the expectations placed on him by the team and himself. Okay, cool. Good players have those. Now, let's pick it up again. Show something tonight.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Post#313 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:40 pm

Dom801e wrote:I don’t want to trade either but if I had to choose between Kuminga and Podz, I think I keep Podz.

Yup

Very hard to find good floor game guys like Podz.. hell of a pick

Dont think we'll have to choose, but I'm still terrified of a post-Steph team that's led by Kuminga. That said, get a couple more Podz's in the draft, and then sure, should be fine. Just dont want the team to treadmill
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#314 » by vvoland » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:50 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Everyone grabbing at the low hanging fruit by blaming Klay and Kerr for the loss.

Klay left the game with over 6 minutes to go and the Warriors were up 2. He didn't return until there were 48 seconds left.

Did he make a boneheaded play? Yes, but the Clippers rolled while he was on the bench with the guys everyone wants to play on the floor.

The Clippers were putting Draymond in the PNR which didn't allow him to roam free on defense and got clean looks on corner 3's and cutting to the basket. Dray also got called for a moving screen and then helped too much off of the Clippers hottest shooter in Powell for a huge 3 to put LA up 6. Curry with under a minute and a half helps too much off of Coffey for another corner 3. Then the Warriors cut it to 4 only to let Coffey get all the way to the hoop through 4 defenders and fouled him to put the Clippers up 6 with 48 seconds to go.

Plenty of blame to go around.

I'm not sure how many of the last 17 minutes Klay played (I'm guessing less than half), but the Clips scored 64 points in those 17 minutes. That's a 48min pace of 181pts allowed. The clips scored 66 in the first 31, that's on pace for 102pts allowed.

But yes, let's all blame Klay (and ignore the podz missed FTs in the 4th, the terrible 3pt defense on coffee and powell, the lack of adjustments by kerr as the clips went on two massive runs in the final qtr, etc etc)

Klay was -8 in the 4th on less than 6 mins.

Loon and GP2 were -8 in 1:35 How is that even possible?)

Curry was -15 in 8:36
Wigs was -17 in 9:29
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#315 » by DevinVassell » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:08 pm

Alchemys Dubs vs Clipps breakdown is free.

https://streamable.com/hgpge4
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,225

Post#316 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:11 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I think I watched roughly 35 of the team's first 40 games. When I noticed that Kerr and Klay were more or less sabotaging the season, I stopped watching the games.

You know, here in Brazil it's a drag to watch the games. They start so late, around midnight for me, and usually finish around 2 or 3am. So imagine me having to wake up around 6:30am/7am in a week's day. But I did the sacrifice because I loved the team.

The last 15 games, I think I watched 2. No more getting pissed off, no more cursing at the TV, no more sleeping 3 or 4 hours, then going to work like a zombie. That's it.

Going by what I've watched, I'd say we should have at least 8 more wins, just if we had proper coaching. I mean, not genius coaching/strategy/whatever, but simply common sense coaching, knowing when to recognize substitution pattern, adjusting for matchups, keeping guys who had a hot hand going on, etc.

I don't blame you in your position. If I couldn't record the games I would have watched a lot less. Skip all the commercials, halftime, FTs, challenges reviews, less time invested. If I'm really into the games I often will watch close to real time and follow a game thread. I will say that you missed some of the most fun games of the season, I enjoyed a lot of the games since Draymond returned, JK went to the starting lineup, and Klay's minutes decreased (some of the time).

We absolutely should have minimum 5 more wins and be 31-21 fighting for the 5th seed, and that's with Draymond being missing. I think in a meritocracy this team could definitely be the 5 seed. Steve has sabotaged us this year, when if ever will he wake up?
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#317 » by DevinVassell » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:06 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I think I watched roughly 35 of the team's first 40 games. When I noticed that Kerr and Klay were more or less sabotaging the season, I stopped watching the games.

Yeah those hours are tough.

https://nbatvreplay.com/

Its free and normally has the game replays up within a few hrs.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#318 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:47 am

Mambomuziki wrote:Should the team create a new role for Steve, something like Team Manager. I. E premier league. Pretty much like a coach manager though he is not on the bench.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using RealGM mobile app

It worked when they let Walton coach.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors