floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,830

Re: Dubs @ Nets Emergency Game Thread 

Post#242 » by floppymoose » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:04 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:We need Ben Simmons

He’s not available.

I dont mean they wont trade him. I mean he isnt playing.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#243 » by billinder33 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:56 pm

Best ability is availability and Simmons doesn't have it.

It's been Dray's biggest issue over the course of his career.... sadly all self-imposed.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#244 » by weekend_warrior » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:59 pm

Just watched the highlights, couldn't help but think of one point concerning Kuminga: I don't think he would have gotten the calls for 12 FTs just a few weeks ago. Not saying that the calls weren't warranted, just that he doesn't seem to get the typical "rookie/nobody whistle" anymore. I guess the refs got the memo that Kuminga has arrived.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#245 » by Onus » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:35 pm

Wiggins probable for Wednesday. Geeze what quick healer.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Post#246 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:12 pm

billinder33 wrote:Best ability is availability and Simmons doesn't have it.

It's been Dray's biggest issue over the course of his career.... sadly all self-imposed.

I would rather have a great player for 30-40 games than a good one for 70-80

But I think that way because the team needs to win on value deals, big time, in order to compete in the next couple years, esp with Kerr at the helm. Just like with OPJ, need to get a good player that's value is depressed for one reason or another, and have them beat it for a year

Getting Simmons for his contract year, in a team that would properly value someone like him, sets him up perfectly. If he's not motivated by that, then it likely doesnt happen. And if the alternatives are letting CP3 expire for nothing or bringing in some guy other teams are willing to dump because they arent that talented, give me Simmons every day of the week. He'd fit well in the old Iguodala role of good defense paired with playmaking. Anything else is a bonus
billinder33
Junior
And1: 86

Post#247 » by billinder33 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:15 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

That's great in theory, unfortunately no one picks which 30-40 they get.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Post#248 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:18 am

billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

True, point is though that we can't look at the team conventionally - getting rock solid guys with win-win trades just isnt going to be enough.. hell, hitting some of these high-reward type deals might not be enough either. But its the best shot the team has

If we pooled Kuminga, Moody, TJD and every 1st we could through say, 2028.. that gets us into the conversation if a star is dealt while likely gutting any depth we have. And still likely not enough.. so I say take all the high-risk, high-reward shots there are in the next couple seasons. Especially if they don't cost us draft capital
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#249 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:32 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
billinder33 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

True, point is though that we can't look at the team conventionally - getting rock solid guys with win-win trades just isnt going to be enough.. hell, hitting some of these high-reward type deals might not be enough either. But its the best shot the team has

If we pooled Kuminga, Moody, TJD and every 1st we could through say, 2028.. that gets us into the conversation if a star is dealt while likely gutting any depth we have. And still likely not enough.. so I say take all the high-risk, high-reward shots there are in the next couple seasons. Especially if they don't cost us draft capital

You bringing simmons off the bench? Or you starting him?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#250 » by michaelm » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:48 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

But I think that way because the team needs to win on value deals, big time, in order to compete in the next couple years, esp with Kerr at the helm. Just like with OPJ, need to get a good player that's value is depressed for one reason or another, and have them beat it for a year

Getting Simmons for his contract year, in a team that would properly value someone like him, sets him up perfectly. If he's not motivated by that, then it likely doesnt happen. And if the alternatives are letting CP3 expire for nothing or bringing in some guy other teams are willing to dump because they arent that talented, give me Simmons every day of the week. He'd fit well in the old Iguodala role of good defense paired with playmaking. Anything else is a bonus

I tend to agree with you, there is every reason to swing for the fences while near peak Curry is on the roster, GSW may well never see his like again. OPJ is indeed the example, he somehow managed to be available when needed on a cheap contract, while a player of lesser capability even if more reliably healthy couldn't have offered what he did regardless.

I guess they thought they were swinging for the fences with Wiseman but a project teenage big was never likely to fit Curry's timeline and the Lacobs perhaps thought they were signing a new KD.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Post#251 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:41 am

michaelm wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I tend to agree with you, there is every reason to swing for the fences while near peak Curry is on the roster, GSW may well never see his like again. OPJ is indeed the example, he somehow managed to be available when needed on a cheap contract, while a player of lesser capability even if more reliably healthy can't offer what he did regardless.

I guess they thought they were swinging for the fences with Wiseman but a project teenage big was never likely to fit Curry's timeline, the Lacobs perhaps thought they were signing a new KD.

Never likely to fit the timeline but some teenage bigs like Jermaine O’Neal just take 3 years to get any playing time.

Our greatest need was for what we hoped Wiseman would become. That draft was very bad. Drafting Wiseman does not bother me much but I wish we traded the pick.

Thinking that we should have spilled Halliburton when nobody else sported him is unrealistic. I don’t like Ball that much.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#252 » by michaelm » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:42 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
michaelm wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I tend to agree with you, there is every reason to swing for the fences while near peak Curry is on the roster, GSW may well never see his like again. OPJ is indeed the example, he somehow managed to be available when needed on a cheap contract, while a player of lesser capability even if more reliably healthy can't offer what he did regardless.

I guess they thought they were swinging for the fences with Wiseman but a project teenage big was never likely to fit Curry's timeline, the Lacobs perhaps thought they were signing a new KD.

Never likely to fit the timeline but some teenage bigs like Jermaine O’Neal just take 3 years to get any playing time.

Our greatest need was for what we hoped Wiseman would become. That draft was very bad. Drafting Wiseman does not bother me much but I wish we traded the pick.

Thinking that we should have spilled Halliburton when nobody else sported him is unrealistic. I don’t like Ball that much.

Sure I approved the pick at the time and also didn’t like Ball, although he did have the advantage of very likely having more trade value. And a number of teams whiffed on Haliburton.

Return to Golden State Warriors