ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 JK Thread

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Re: 2024 JK Thread 

Post#81 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:54 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I still think moody is the much better player, but he doesn't get the coddling that jk gets.

Jk gets benched when he does something wrong. Moody gets benched for just stepping on the court.

I think Moody fits in more places than Kuminga would, and I think that if you're looking for someone who doesn't need to pop off, Moody is the guy handily. But if you're in the mud and need some scoring fast, you gotta take Kuminga. Moody just doesnt have the balls right now to take whats his. And Kuminga is showing control and sticking to what he's good at lately.. I will absolutely take that growth. But with all pure scorers, eventually its time to pay them, and its very rarely a good deal for the franchise :dontknow:

All that said, if the team drew up 10% of the plays for Moody that they do for Kuminga, we'd get to see if Moody really could offensively hang. He's not elite anywhere, but he's also not bad anywhere. Just needs to drive into contact more. Whats the risk at this point? That he's hurt for a couple games and misses a few games where he'd basically be running cardio anyways?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#82 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:57 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:I still think moody is the much better player, but he doesn't get the coddling that jk gets.

Jk gets benched when he does something wrong. Moody gets benched for just stepping on the court.

I think Moody fits in more places than Kuminga would, and I think that if you're looking for someone who doesn't need to pop off, Moody is the guy handily. But if you're in the mud and need some scoring fast, you gotta take Kuminga. Moody just doesnt have the balls right now to take whats his. And Kuminga is showing control and sticking to what he's good at lately.. I will absolutely take that growth. But with all pure scorers, eventually its time to pay them, and its very rarely a good deal for the franchise :dontknow:

All that said, if the team drew up 10% of the plays for Moody that they do for Kuminga, we'd get to see if Moody really could offensively hang. He's not elite anywhere, but he's also not bad anywhere. Just needs to drive into contact more. Whats the risk at this point? That he's hurt for a couple games and misses a few games where he'd basically be running cardio anyways?

Jks value is tied to his offense. He's not a ball mover nor an offball player, im not sure he'll ever be those things. He loves to iso and then look to pass when he doesnt have a shot, it stalls the offense. He could potentially be great at what he does in the way maggette was, but I'm not sure how much of a needle mover he'd be at 25-30M per year on his rookie extension playing 30 minutes as a starter.. Like you said, teams will overpay guys that can score.

Defensively, he's a mixed ball for me. He's best and only role is poa since he's poor off the ball. And his poa defence is overrated because he lacks the diversity to match up with different types of players like prime klay or wiggins did and can do. But, he's never really shown that to be important to him. Everything he says is always about him. About his shooting. About his scoring. About his passing. Sounds alot like Poole and current klay to me.

I know people are really enamored with him and think he's the next coming of kawahi, but I dont see it. He is uber athletic, way more than 99% of the league, but how much of that is functional athleticism? He's a bigger lavine in that regard. Moody is closer to kawhi athletically, because although he can't jump as high or move as fast, it's functional.

And yes, if I need a burst of offense. Jk clears moody. But if I want 2 way play (which is more conducive to winning) and much better quality for a starter, I focus on moody. Especially since we have steph and are forced to play klay 30-35 minutes per game as a starter.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,091

Post#83 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:13 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Jks value is tied to his offense. He's not a ball mover nor an offball player, im not sure he'll ever be those things. He loves to iso and then look to pass when he doesnt have a shot, it stalls the offense. He could potentially be great at what he does in the way maggette was, but I'm not sure how much of a needle mover he'd be at 25-30M per year on his rookie extension playing 30 minutes as a starter.. Like you said, teams will overpay guys that can score.

Defensively, he's a mixed ball for me. He's best and only role is poa since he's poor off the ball. And his poa defence is overrated because he lacks the diversity to match up with different types of players like prime klay or wiggins did and can do. But, he's never really shown that to be important to him. Everything he says is always about him. About his shooting. About his scoring. About his passing. Sounds alot like Poole and current klay to me.

I know people are really enamored with him and think he's the next coming of kawahi, but I dont see it. He is uber athletic, way more than 99% of the league, but how much of that is functional athleticism? He's a bigger lavine in that regard. Moody is closer to kawhi athletically, because although he can't jump as high or move as fast, it's functional.

And yes, if I need a burst of offense. Jk clears moody. But if I want 2 way play (which is more conducive to winning) and much better quality for a starter, I focus on moody. Especially since we have steph and are forced to play klay 30-35 minutes per game as a starter.

Agree almost to a T.. I definitely dont see him as Kawhi. Kawhi is a slow pace player but an explosive athlete at that pace, and I can see it on that level, but Kawhi is a lockdown defender, can capably run point, etc etc

I still think his best fit is going to be with the bench squad, but considering how well they've played, I'd like to see them get more run and the starters much less.. the bench mob is all offense, less defense, but its working that way. CP3/Saric/Klay is a trio that works, add in Kuminga to that and you have your bailout option. Put GP2 with them as a potential lockdown defender if someone is killing them in iso, or Moody if GP2 isnt necessary :dontknow:
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#84 » by HiRez » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:43 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Can’t play Kuminga at power forward with Saric or this year’s version of Looney because they don’t rebound. Kuminga with last year’s Looney is fine because Kuminga does not rebound as well as power forwards should rebound last year’s Looney rebounded well.

Saric is it a good rebounder although he puts up good rebounding numbers every 2nd game.

Kuminga’s rebounding problem is mental. His first step towards a rebound is delayed.

We should have sent rookie Kuminga to G-league for 5 games and told him to forget about scoring and defense and just try to get every rebound. The point would be to try to build rebounding reflexes in Kuminga. Kuminga has a great body for rebounding. How does Podz get all those rebounds. You arenot supposed to think about rebounding. You should have a reflex to move towards the rebound as soon as the ball hits the rim.

Because both Kuminga and Wiseman failed at getting good first steps towards rebounds I wonder if the coaching staph was hurting their rebounding by making them over think what they should be doing.

He's actually been doing quite well recently. Over the last 9 games he's averaging 8 rebounds per 36 minutes, slightly higher than Draymond's rebound rate for the season.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Post#85 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:16 am

HiRez wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Can’t play Kuminga at power forward with Saric or this year’s version of Looney because they don’t rebound. Kuminga with last year’s Looney is fine because Kuminga does not rebound as well as power forwards should rebound last year’s Looney rebounded well.

Saric is it a good rebounder although he puts up good rebounding numbers every 2nd game.

Kuminga’s rebounding problem is mental. His first step towards a rebound is delayed.

We should have sent rookie Kuminga to G-league for 5 games and told him to forget about scoring and defense and just try to get every rebound. The point would be to try to build rebounding reflexes in Kuminga. Kuminga has a great body for rebounding. How does Podz get all those rebounds. You arenot supposed to think about rebounding. You should have a reflex to move towards the rebound as soon as the ball hits the rim.

Because both Kuminga and Wiseman failed at getting good first steps towards rebounds I wonder if the coaching staph was hurting their rebounding by making them over think what they should be doing.

He's actually been doing quite well recently. Over the last 9 games he's averaging 8 rebounds per 36 minutes, slightly higher than Draymond's rebound rate for the season.

Kuminga is averaging 6.4 rebounds per 36 for the season. Draymond 7.9 per 36. Podz 8.6 per 36.
Looney this year per 36 is 13
Trayce Davis 11.6
Sari 9.9
Payton 7.7

Kuminga last year 6.0 per 36
Lamb last year 6.5 per 36
Draymond last year per 36 was 8.2
Draymond 2015-16 rebounds per 36 9.9

Average power forward per 36 is 7.9 rebounds
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#86 » by HiRez » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:33 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
HiRez wrote:

Kuminga is averaging 6.4 rebounds per 36 for the season. Draymond 7.9 per 36. Podz 8.6 per 36.
Looney this year per 36 is 13
Trayce Davis 11.6
Sari 9.9
Payton 7.7

Kuminga last year 6.0 per 36
Lamb last year 6.5 per 36
Draymond last year per 36 was 8.2
Draymond 2015-16 rebounds per 36 9.9

Average power forward per 36 is 7.9 rebounds

I said over the last 9 games (much higher than his season number). The point is he's doing much better lately. Whether it holds, we'll have to see.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#87 » by jozef » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:43 am

He is doing much better lately cause in Dray absence he plays more PF and less SF. So his positioning allows him to attack the rim more often. His above average asset is quickness and jumping not a shooting stroke.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,202

Post#88 » by cpower » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:49 am

He is clearly not good enough to get more touches. Steve Kerr doing Steve Kerr things again, let a kid influence his coaching decisions
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#89 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:What is with the negativity over Kuminga after these last few games. Dude played pretty well tonight. He was active on the glass keeping balls alive when he wasn't rebounding them and had the biggest stop of the night on Tatum. I much prefer watching this team with him replacing Draymond in the starting lineup.

The many Kuminga haters here have always willfully ignored the obvious improvements he's made this season, demanding "advanced stats" to prove he's taking strides. They're all awfully quiet these days, as are all those calling for him to be traded.

I’d still trade him right now. He’s been ok for a few games while Draymond is out. His MO is playing within the reins for a few games until he starts to feel himself then he basically undoes all the good stuff with wild plays and ego shooting. If you can trade him and CP3 for someone like Siakam today I’d go and do that immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Hate to say I called it but every single time…

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#90 » by jozef » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:43 pm

JK and CP3 for Siakam would be great trade. It would free up Podz for backup PG job and stop 3G nonsense. Siakam could back up both Green at PF and TJD at C for dynamic frontcourt sparks.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#91 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:44 pm

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:The many Kuminga haters here have always willfully ignored the obvious improvements he's made this season, demanding "advanced stats" to prove he's taking strides. They're all awfully quiet these days, as are all those calling for him to be traded.

I’d still trade him right now. He’s been ok for a few games while Draymond is out. His MO is playing within the reins for a few games until he starts to feel himself then he basically undoes all the good stuff with wild plays and ego shooting. If you can trade him and CP3 for someone like Siakam today I’d go and do that immediately.

Hate to say I called it but every single time…

If we're giving up on guys after one game, Steph was 3-15 last night. Maybe we can package them together?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#92 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:49 pm

One game lol

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#93 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:50 pm

Also fwiw I started a thread advocating for trading Steph so…

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#94 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 pm

EvanZ wrote:One game lol

When is the last time prior to last night's game that you felt you could get away with condemning him? His last multi-TO game was December 8th. Your "I told you so" doesn't carry much weight when he's played so well this season overall and had so many good games in a row.

Do you have to be so cliched?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#95 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:39 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

When is the last time prior to last night's game that you felt you could get away with condemning him? His last multi-TO game was December 8th. Your "I told you so" doesn't carry much weight when he's played so well this season overall and had so many good games in a row.

I mean I literally quoted myself “condemning” him last week. Are you not paying attention here?

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#96 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:04 pm

Oh this is the thread for a certain poster who likes to repeatedly pat himself in the back, not to discuss the player.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#97 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

I mean I literally quoted myself “condemning” him last week. Are you not paying attention here?

Your condemnations lack substance lately.
The hottest of takes...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#98 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:22 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:When is the last time prior to last night's game that you felt you could get away with condemning him? His last multi-TO game was December 8th. Your "I told you so" doesn't carry much weight when he's played so well this season overall and had so many good games in a row.

Your condemnations lack substance lately.

Again I literally condemned him for feeling himself and undoing all the good things he can do. I have to ask are you using an auto reply or are you actually reading anything?

EvanZ
RealGM

Post#99 » by EvanZ » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:26 pm

wco81 wrote:Oh this is the thread for a certain poster who likes to repeatedly pat himself in the back, not to discuss the player.

I’ll assume you’re talking about me since I’ve long been one of the few here who don’t like Kuminga. Not because he doesn’t have any talent but because he just refuses to understand who he is at the core. He doesn’t know where his true talents lie. He wants to be be Kawhi Leonard not Aaron Gordon. Aaron Gordon had to learn the same lesson. Before the draft I compared Kuminga to Josh Smith and that’s looking more and more too optimistic for him.

To say I don’t actually discuss the player is a weird comment though since I’ve said all of this before and even in the immediate post being referenced.

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,830

Post#100 » by floppymoose » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:50 am

Return to Golden State Warriors