ImageImageImageImageImage

We need Kuminga and Moody to be the ___ and ___ best players on this team

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

We need Kuminga and Moody to be the ___ and ___ best players on this team 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:47 pm

I kind of feel like we need our starting 5 + CP3 to still be our top 6. If any of those guys fall off significantly it's bad news (Klay or CP3 being the most likely) from an overall talent perspective.

But my sincere hope is that Kuminga and Moody *both* slot in above GPII and Saric (and obviously Cujo) in terms of the rotaiton before the ASG. If this happens, it means they have both taken a significant leap.

Short of that, I think we need at least one of them to fulfill this leap this season to remain competitive or have any chance of contending.

If neither of them can surpass GPII *and* Saric (meaning they become the 7th man on the depth chart), I think it spells trouble. If I had to pick one of them to do it from a standpoint of being more important, it's probably Kuminga simply because of his size and it would probably mean he's really shooting or doing something else at an elite level. But if Moody can reach the Brandon Rush tier that projected before he was drafted, that might be enough too.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Re: We need Kuminga and Moody to be the ___ and ___ best players on this team 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:27 pm

I want Kuminga to be the 2nd best defender on the team, good enough to slot him into closing lineups to lock down oppositions best players.

I want Moody to be a 40%+ 3-point shooter and always have a positive +/- on court.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 792

Post#3 » by Old_Blue » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:02 pm

The Dubs don't need Kuminga and Moody to do anything other than play well during their limited minutes. Neither will be with the team past the trade deadline. The reason is simple. The Warriors are done paying for potential.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#4 » by TB » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:09 pm

Coxy wrote:I want Kuminga to be the 2nd best defender on the team, good enough to slot him into closing lineups to lock down oppositions best players.

I want Moody to be a 40%+ 3-point shooter and always have a positive +/- on court.

If these two things happen and Steph/Dray are healthy, we will win the NBA title.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#5 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:14 pm

Pending trades, I don't think they can win a title without both of them making some kind of contribution, including in the playoffs.
lightyears
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#6 » by lightyears » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:58 pm

8th and 10th - we can win a title with Saric playing more "big" minutes than Kuminga, and GP2 playing more "wing" minutes than Moody.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#7 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:05 am

I think Moody is primary backup to Wiggins and Kuminga is going to be behind Saric despite being the direct backup to Draymond.. Expecting Moody to get between 15-20 and Kuminga to get between 10-15. Moody, IMO will be the 7th-8th man by year's end, while I think Kuminga is anywhere from 9th - out of rotation. Kuminga simply has too much going against him - the 3 man rotation of Saric/Dray/Looney is flexible enough to eat the lions share of big minutes, with TJD likely to fight for minutes as well.. his lack of impact when off-ball.. his overall fit, honestly. Lots of hurdles for him

Whereas with Moody, his main hurdle will be Kerr. There's no one really challenging his role, and if Q gets the 14th spot as I suspect, that will just reinforce his locked in primary 3&D bench option. So as long as he gets Kerr's trust and doesnt totally fumble it, his path looks a lot cleaner
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Post#8 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:44 am

If Kuminga and Moody play well and are the 7th and 8th best players on the team that would be great.

Moody does not do anything particularly well. Moody has no specialty. But Moody’s bad side is not very bad. Moody was not blatantly doing anything wrong his last few months.

Kuminga watches rebounds drop to opponents without taking a step towards the rebound.
Kuminga has had patches of good on ball defense. Not so good at team defense. Kuminga sometimes looks great driving towards the rim. He can do other offensive things at a borderline NBA / G-league level.

Moody and Kuminga have not proven that they belong in an 8 man playoff rotation. Hopefully they both will have break out years.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#9 » by Impuniti » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:41 pm

Coxy wrote:I want Kuminga to be the 2nd best defender on the team, good enough to slot him into closing lineups to lock down oppositions best players.

If that were to happen, I would be a lot more confident of next season
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#10 » by Onus » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:18 pm

Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,380

Post#11 » by CS707 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:38 pm

Who is #2? Klay? Because, as it stands now, we really need someone to be a better second option than Klay.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#12 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:59 pm

gst8 wrote:Who is #2? Klay? Because, as it stands now, we really need someone to be a better second option than Klay.

Wiggins is #2, when you take both sides of the court.

For me, the top-6 most important and dependable players are obviously Curry, Wiggins, Draymond, Klay, Looney, and CP3, in some order. (Depends on whether you’re ranking quality or importance, because I might rank them slightly differently depending on which dimension I’m evaluating.)

I basically agree with Evan. If Kuminga and Moody aren’t at least in the top-8 by the end of the year, I think we’re at best a second round team in the Western Conference (i.e. we’d win a first round, but lose the second round). But if those guys develop such that GP2 and Saric become more seldom-used role players rather than “need their minutes”, then we have a much, much higher ceiling.

Bottom line, you want GP2 and Saric to be the 9th and 10th men. If they’re 7th and 8th men, you’re very limited. And the only way to make them 9th and 10th men is for Kuminga and Moody to surpass them.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
CS707
General Manager

Post#13 » by CS707 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:10 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
gst8 wrote:Who is #2? Klay? Because, as it stands now, we really need someone to be a better second option than Klay.

Wiggins is #2, when you take both sides of the court.

For me, the top-6 most important and dependable players are obviously Curry, Wiggins, Draymond, Klay, Looney, and CP3, in some order. (Depends on whether you’re ranking quality or importance, because I might rank them slightly differently depending on which dimension I’m evaluating.)

I basically agree with Evan. If Kuminga and Moody aren’t at least in the top-8 by the end of the year, I think we’re at best a second round team in the Western Conference (i.e. we’d win a first round, but lose the second round). But if those guys develop such that GP2 and Saric become more seldom-used role players rather than “need their minutes”, then we have a much, much higher ceiling.

Bottom line, you want GP2 and Saric to be the 9th and 10th men. If they’re 7th and 8th men, you’re very limited. And the only way to make them 9th and 10th men is for Kuminga and Moody to surpass them.

It's hard to look at it in a linear fashion for me because of roles. We need someone to displace Klay as the secondary offensive option, or at least as the primary offensive option when Steph isn't in the game. In that sense, I think we're probably a second-round team regardless of whether Kuminga and Moody are 8, 9, 10, etc. Obviously that's too much to ask of Moody, and likely Kuminga, but that's the predicament we're in IMO.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#14 » by HiRez » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:06 am

gst8 wrote:It's hard to look at it in a linear fashion for me because of roles. We need someone to displace Klay as the secondary offensive option, or at least as the primary offensive option when Steph isn't in the game.

The problem with someone displacing Klay is he's probably still playing 33-34 minutes a game regardless of how bad he is. We saw that with Poole last year and Klay has a much tighter bond with Kerr than JP did. Draymond and Looney aren't scoring and Wiggins is ideally closer to a #4 option than he is to a #2. Moody and Kuminga both have some nice attributes but I don't see either being more than a #3 scoring option at best.

Basically we have one of the world's best #1 options ever and, with Klay possibly falling off, a whole lot of #3-#5 scorers with not a lot in-between. Which is why we keep hearing these rumors about Siakam, Lillard, Beal, Zion, LaVine, KAT, PG, etc. I dunno, maybe it doesn't matter but I think we do struggle mightily on offense when Steph is out of the game, or just in the middle of a cold streak. When we had prime KD and prime Klay, that was not a problem, now it is.
CS707
General Manager

Post#15 » by CS707 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:18 am

HiRez wrote:
gst8 wrote:It's hard to look at it in a linear fashion for me because of roles. We need someone to displace Klay as the secondary offensive option, or at least as the primary offensive option when Steph isn't in the game.

The problem with someone displacing Klay is he's probably still playing 33-34 minutes a game regardless of how bad he is. We saw that with Poole last year and Klay has a much tighter bond with Kerr than JP did. Draymond and Looney aren't scoring and Wiggins is ideally closer to a #4 option than he is to a #2. Moody and Kuminga both have some nice attributes but I don't see either being more than a #3 scoring option at best.

Basically we have one of the world's best #1 options ever and, with Klay possibly falling off, a whole lot of #3-#5 scorers with not a lot in-between. Which is why we keep hearing these rumors about Siakam, Lillard, Beal, Zion, LaVine, KAT, PG, etc. I dunno, maybe it doesn't matter but I think we do struggle mightily on offense when Steph is out of the game, or just in the middle of a cold streak. When we had prime KD and prime Klay, that was not a problem, now it is.

All good points which is why I say it’s less important whether whether those two surpass Saric or GPII than it is that someone is able to assume that quasi #2 secondary scorer role. 8, 9, or 10 isn’t going to move the needle imo.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#16 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:46 am

HiRez wrote:The problem with someone displacing Klay is he's probably still playing 33-34 minutes a game regardless of how bad he is. We saw that with Poole last year and Klay has a much tighter bond with Kerr than JP did.

This narrative that Kerr plays favorites with minutes is BS. Klay shot 41% from 3 on the highest volume of his career last season so let's not pretend he didn't earn all of his 33 mpg.

Poole got the minutes he did because he was the only other primary ballhandler on the roster. That's it. Kerr had no choice but to give him those minutes. Kerr can trot a lot of funky lineups out there but the one thing he can't do, 100% can not do, is send out a lineup without a ballhandler. Doesn't work.

In the playoffs is where that problem was really accentuated because Poole's game fell off a cliff and that had a direct knock-on effect to Klay's efficiency. Klay can't get his own shot, he needs a lead guard next to him.

Enter CP3. If he's still able to get into the key and control the tempo through the regular season and into the playoffs, Klay will mysteriously reemerge as the secondary scorer we need to make another deep playoff run.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#17 » by Nvnervous45 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:54 am

I hope kuminga is working on rebounding in the summer shirts and skins games.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#18 » by Mac1958 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:28 am

I very much hope that Kuminga and Moody step up and go nuts this year. My fingers are definitely crossed.

At the same time, I can't shake the feeling that we're giving them more rope than we should because we don't want to see that incredible opportunity -- all those high draft picks -- go to waste.
Thugleavy34
Analyst
And1: 300

Post#19 » by Thugleavy34 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:29 am

Onus wrote:

This is…not a good mix lol
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#20 » by Nvnervous45 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:36 pm

Agreed. He looks like he's on the and1 mix tour circa 1998. He shouldn't be working on bringing the ball up the floor or crossing people up.
He needs to work on the fundamentals of rebounding and pick and roll. Overall, not a good look.

Return to Golden State Warriors