ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, Baldwin Jr., 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Re: Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul 

Post#81 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 pm

This is likely the best outcome of a bad situation (Poole). I see that CP3's deal is only partially guaranteed. On top of it, the pick going to Washington is heavily protected (top 20). Well done.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,751

Re: Warriors trade Poole, Rollins, 2027 #2, 2030 protected #1 to Wizards for Chris Paul 

Post#82 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
azwfan wrote:The good news is (or should be) that by swapping JP for CP3 and including RR, we can now take bpa at 19 instead of best upperclassman available.

I dont think this is going to change their viewpoint on who to draft or how they approach it.. there were no true PGs we were looking at, and Kerr still isnt going to play really young players

In fact the Warriors' insistence on keeping the 19 makes it more likely they are taking an upperclassman, someone who can help immediately. If not, why wouldnt they just trade the 19 to the Wizards? Or wait until they were on the clock to finalize the deal?

They have someone specific in mind and it won't be a freshman

A top 20 protected pick 7 yrs from now has a lot different value than the #19 today. I dont think reluctance to pay #19 necessarily means anything other than they wanted to pay less than whatever WAS was asking.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,093

Post#83 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:38 pm

and1GS wrote:The warriors don't score in isolation so that shouldn't really be an issue. When we need to do it come playoff time, that's Steph's job.

and Wiggins, and likely Kuminga this year if he can earn his way onto the court
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#84 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:39 pm

azwfan wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
azwfan wrote:The good news is (or should be) that by swapping JP for CP3 and including RR, we can now take bpa at 19 instead of best upperclassman available.

I dont think this is going to change their viewpoint on who to draft or how they approach it.. there were no true PGs we were looking at, and Kerr still isnt going to play really young players

In fact the Warriors' insistence on keeping the 19 makes it more likely they are taking an upperclassman, someone who can help immediately. If not, why wouldnt they just trade the 19 to the Wizards? Or wait until they were on the clock to finalize the deal?

A top 20 protected pick 7 yrs from now has a lot different value than the #19 today. I dont think reluctance to pay #19 necessarily means anything other than they wanted to pay less than whatever WAS was asking.

Maybe, but there's likely a 2nd year attached to it and we dont know what that protection is yet. If that protection drops to top 4 or unprotected in 2031, would that change anything?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#85 » by marthafokker » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:42 pm

Bring Dwight in for stretch 5!

Dubbs version of banana boat.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#86 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:42 pm

and1GS wrote:The warriors don't score in isolation so that shouldn't really be an issue. When we need to do it come playoff time, that's Steph's job.

Have to watch Curry's usage.

They could manage his minutes down but a lot of possessions he went to a corner while Poole handled the ball.

He may not get as many possessions off now.
Scotty2Hotty
Junior
And1: 87

Post#87 » by Scotty2Hotty » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:42 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:
wco81 wrote:I'm not against the trade, mainly because Draymond and Poole can't co-exist on this team any more.

Draymond and Durant couldn’t co-exist on this team anymore either.

Nahhhhh…I don’t see a pattern.

soft people don't get on with Draymond

No one gets on with Draymond until HE says so. THAT’S the problem.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#88 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:43 pm

whatisacenter wrote:This team has become a bad joke. What an embarrassing trade .

:lol:
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#89 » by killmongrel » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:43 pm

I realized something though regarding this trade. The Wizards were willing to take Poole's long term contract. That means we could have gotten KP if we added some salaries to it.

Basically, we could have sent them Poole/Moody/Rollins. Or even another combination that included GP2 or Kuminga.

So did GS just value these other guys too much? Or did GS just not want anything to do with KP for some reason or the other.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#90 » by DevinVassell » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:43 pm

wco81 wrote:JP helped them win the title in 2022 and he helped them win a lot of games with Curry out much of last season.

So let's not pretend they gave away nothing, this situation was caused by Draymond and the team has chosen a 33-year old non-scorer over a 24-year old scorer. That may work out before Curry retires.

Or it doesn't work out at all and they gave away a young player with some value, mainly because of emotional problems on the team.

I agree that Poole deserves some credit for his improvement here earlier on. But he regressed.

Maybe Bob Myers can take a little of the blame here. Just a totally unnecessarily early contract and a massive last parting gift to our payroll.

Welcome GM Dunleavy.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#91 » by marthafokker » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:44 pm

KP can't switch. Kerr might give him the bench. CP3 will get the minutes because he can switch.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#92 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:45 pm

Scotty2Hotty wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:

soft people don't get on with Draymond

No one gets on with Draymond until HE says so. THAT’S the problem.

sure but losing KD.. that sucked, but he's also had a problem playing with others as well

in this case.. we lost Poole. I cant even pretend to mind that one :dontknow:
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#93 » by Big J » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:45 pm

Our best teams had a guy who scored in isolation all the time.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#94 » by Coxy » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:45 pm

But now we have help in that department, an elite calm guy to get it done.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,751

Post#95 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:46 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
azwfan wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

Maybe, but there's likely a 2nd year attached to it and we dont know what that protection is yet. If that protection drops to top 4 or unprotected in 2031, would that change anything?

Of course it changes the value. But it doesnt change the conclusion. They also did not give up a 1st in 2029 or 2028. I dont think that means they are eyeing someone in middle school (or elementary).

All that Washington wanting 19, over 2030 1st is that they wanted more value. Why wouldnt it work the other way?
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#96 » by killmongrel » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:46 pm

marthafokker wrote:KP can't switch. Kerr might give him the bench. CP3 will get the minutes because he can switch.
Thanks. So KP just didn't fit.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#97 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:47 pm

Scotty2Hotty wrote:
wco81 wrote:I'm not against the trade, mainly because Draymond and Poole can't co-exist on this team any more.

KD and Draymond are fine... in fact they blame Kerr for their beef :lol:

It's good that Draymond will yell at anyone, not just those guys "below" him. Like Klay said, you can't play for the Warriors if you can't handle getting yelled at by Draymond.

KD came here to get a ring, and then went to Brooklyn to establish his own legacy... which he is still trying to do in Phoenix.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#98 » by DaHef » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:49 pm

killmongrel wrote:I realized something though regarding this trade. The Wizards were willing to take Poole's long term contract. That means we could have gotten KP if we added some salaries to it.

Basically, we could have sent them Poole/Moody/Rollins. Or even another combination that included GP2 or Kuminga.

So did GS just value these other guys too much? Or did GS just not want anything to do with KP for some reason or the other.

Unless they have another plan to address size? Maybe trade up and grab Lively II ?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#99 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:51 pm

azwfan wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
azwfan wrote:A top 20 protected pick 7 yrs from now has a lot different value than the #19 today. I dont think reluctance to pay #19 necessarily means anything other than they wanted to pay less than whatever WAS was asking.

Of course it changes the value. But it doesnt change the conclusion. They also did not give up a 1st in 2029 or 2028. I dont think that means they are eyeing someone in middle school (or elementary).

All that Washington wanting 19, over 2030 1st is that they wanted more value. Why wouldnt it work the other way?

The 2028/29 draft isnt hours away.. that's a pretty key part of it. If the pick does drop protection significantly, then the idea of "its just a value thing" doesn't hold as much water, because an unprotected or low protected 1st, even in the distant future, is going to be worth more than mid-late 1st currently

Add into that this is a team that has been rumored for weeks to not want freshman/youth and that jives 100% with what Kerr has said and done.. if they weren't sure about who they wanted to draft, then the 19 should have been on the table as it would end the transaction. They chose not to do that, and if you want to handwave it away thats fine.. but looks to me like they've locked in on someone. Someone who they're reasonably confident is going to be there at 19

Who knows, I guess...
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#100 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:52 pm

and1GS wrote:
Scotty2Hotty wrote:

TBF we did win a title before and after KD with Draymond. He's a difficult personality, but it's also difficult to be a contender for a decade + being difficult sometimes helps with that. Both can be true. And how much success has KD had since he left this difficult personality?

Word is that CP3 is also a heady, hard-headed, difficult guy to have as a teammate. The combined Draymond / Poole / CP3 decisions do show what it is the Warriors value most, and also what they don't shy away from. MJ was a huge arsehole who punched Kerr at practice, so Kerr has been around the block and values what he values.

Return to Golden State Warriors