81%
NO
19%

Total votes: 80

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Re: Is Moses Moody an NBA caliber player? 

Post#81 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 11:10 pm

I've also been wrapping my head around something Iguodala said about asset management in the league. He pointed out that trade value isn't just some objective measure of the players skills and fit to other teams. He pointed out that when a team doesn't play a guy they are making a statement about how little THEY value the player. That impacts what other teams are willing to offer you for him, even if they value him higher for whatever reason. Unless Moody would have been out there getting pantsed on a regular basis (which I guess is possible) playing him more would have helped his asset value when time comes to package him in a deal.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#82 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 11:14 pm

I read somewhere that he was outside the top 40 recruits out of HS so he had a better freshman season than some people expected.

Maybe he wasn't necessarily destined for one and done status but he and his agent struck while the iron was hot, got himself drafted in as a late lottery FRP.

He's scheduled to make $3.9 next season and team option for $5.9 million the season after.

Someone suggested cutting him but I would think that $3.9 million would still be guaranteed? Even if they could cut him and save on luxury taxes, is there a minimum salary wing who'd be better and actually get minutes?

OTOH, they could keep him on the roster but he isn't going to develop unless he gets some playing time, unless the developmental coaches are on top of him to train and do tons of drills in the offseason and during practices.

They didn't pick up the last year option on Looney's last year of his rookie contract either. At that point, he still wasn't making big enough contributions. So maybe he took minimum money for a year or two to prove his worth. But that meant he could have gone to another team too.

Moody as a lottery pick or a lotto prospect in his draft class might look to move on if that team option isn't picked up.

I would guess at a minimum he could be a role player wing like Tory Craig but he needs to get stronger, which helps defenders to compensate for lack of quickness.

Right now his confidence seems low so he's got to keep shooting when he does get minutes.

A couple of times, Curry waved him away when Moody cut from the weak side towards where Steph was, seemed irritated. He may not completely know the offensive sets or the kinds of actions which the vets were looking to run.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#83 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 7, 2023 11:35 pm

wco81 wrote:I read somewhere that he was outside the top 40 recruits out of HS so he had a better freshman season than some people expected.

He was #40 on the RSCI list.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#84 » by EvanZ » Tue Mar 7, 2023 11:37 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I've also been wrapping my head around something Iguodala said about asset management in the league. He pointed out that trade value isn't just some objective measure of the players skills and fit to other teams. He pointed out that when a team doesn't play a guy they are making a statement about how little THEY value the player. That impacts what other teams are willing to offer you for him, even if they value him higher for whatever reason. Unless Moody would have been out there getting pantsed on a regular basis (which I guess is possible) playing him more would have helped his asset value when time comes to package him in a deal.

This assumes that Myers and Lacob can tell Kerr who to play and that it's worth having a fight over. Clearly Kerr doesn't want to play Moody, and it's probably not even close to worth having the fight with him and the vets over getting "value" in return.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Is Moses Moody an NBA caliber player? 

Post#85 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 8, 2023 12:00 am

This is NBA caliber!

Read on Twitter

I was actually watching this game and after this dunk it was like a fire was lit under his ass. He needs to bring that intensity every night.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#86 » by Onus » Wed Mar 8, 2023 12:42 am

Sleepy51 wrote:Well, Moody was actually taken as the high IQ, does the little things, previously an effective “connector” amongst stars in college and AAU.

He was supposed to be readily adaptable to a complex system. Something else is going on with him that none of us have figured out and Kerr hasn’t articulated.

The early season struggles caused something of a panic here and cut the development project off at the knees, but to no real positive effect.

There’s a strong argument that playing Moody and JK more would have resulted in the same record, but more individual development for them and higher asset values coming into the summer. If we were safely out of the play-in game it would be understandable but to be .500 and not have played these guys more in what we’re ultimately losses anyway seems like a lot of missed opportunity.

There is some leaking/speculation making the podcast rounds that Steph was the one who pulled the plug on developing youngsters. If that’s the case, it’s his prerogative to flex, but in a meritocratic universe he would have also checked Klay’s dumpster fire shot selection. The players only meeting in the winter was likely about these issues.

Vet leadership has been weak this year. The “core” had the benefit of supportive and sacrificing vets in their youth but are being pretty much the opposite now that they are the grey beards.

The early season trouble was laid at the feet of the youngsters and while they did poorly, the closing lineup still had leads that they let go. That was the main problem that was being hidden by scapegoating the youngsters. The closing lineup wasn't balanced and they tanked games that they should've won. The development of Poole superseded the development of any of the other young players.

Really I think there was just too many raw youngsters. You can deal with 1 or 2 youngsters vying for minutes, but when your entire 2nd unit is comprised of youngsters it's just too much too overcome and would be completely annoying and irritating for the vets trying to win another championship.

I blame the front office first and then the vets for not being more accomodating.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#87 » by TB » Wed Mar 8, 2023 12:57 am

EvanZ wrote:This is NBA caliber!

Read on Twitter

I was actually watching this game and after this dunk it was like a fire was lit under his ass. He needs to bring that intensity every night.

He was dunking on everyone that quarter and letting it fly with no hesitation, looking like prime Joe Johnson.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#88 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Mar 8, 2023 12:57 am

Remind me why Kerr ever played Wanamaker or Chiozza. Those minutes should have gone to players with the potential for Warrior’s future. Young players need time and energy. If the coach doesn’t want to go that route then trade them, but don’t play third stringers with no future.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#89 » by Big J » Wed Mar 8, 2023 1:16 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Remind me why Kerr ever played Wanamaker or Chiozza. Those minutes should have gone to players with the potential for Warrior’s future. Young players need time and energy. If the coach doesn’t want to go that route then trade them, but don’t play third stringers with no future.

You could say the same thing about Jerome this year too, but he's actually won us a few games.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,929

Post#90 » by Hoopstar23 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 2:10 am

Read on Twitter

he needs to learn how to play NBA team defense if he wants to prove he's an NBA-caliber player... doing dunks is not gonna get you minutes in the league... :lol:
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#91 » by watch1958 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 2:29 am

Hoopstar23 wrote:

Read on Twitter

he needs to learn how to play NBA team defense if he wants to prove he's an NBA-caliber player... doing dunks is not gonna get you minutes in the league... :lol:
I always thought getting offensive rebounds and put backs was a valuable NBA skill.

But thanks for your contribution.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#92 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Mar 8, 2023 2:30 am

Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:Well, Moody was actually taken as the high IQ, does the little things, previously an effective “connector” amongst stars in college and AAU.

He was supposed to be readily adaptable to a complex system. Something else is going on with him that none of us have figured out and Kerr hasn’t articulated.

The early season struggles caused something of a panic here and cut the development project off at the knees, but to no real positive effect.

There’s a strong argument that playing Moody and JK more would have resulted in the same record, but more individual development for them and higher asset values coming into the summer. If we were safely out of the play-in game it would be understandable but to be .500 and not have played these guys more in what we’re ultimately losses anyway seems like a lot of missed opportunity.

There is some leaking/speculation making the podcast rounds that Steph was the one who pulled the plug on developing youngsters. If that’s the case, it’s his prerogative to flex, but in a meritocratic universe he would have also checked Klay’s dumpster fire shot selection. The players only meeting in the winter was likely about these issues.

Vet leadership has been weak this year. The “core” had the benefit of supportive and sacrificing vets in their youth but are being pretty much the opposite now that they are the grey beards.

The early season trouble was laid at the feet of the youngsters and while they did poorly, the closing lineup still had leads that they let go. That was the main problem that was being hidden by scapegoating the youngsters. The closing lineup wasn't balanced and they tanked games that they should've won. The development of Poole superseded the development of any of the other young players.

Really I think there was just too many raw youngsters. You can deal with 1 or 2 youngsters vying for minutes, but when your entire 2nd unit is comprised of youngsters it's just too much too overcome and would be completely annoying and irritating for the vets trying to win another championship.

I blame the front office first and then the vets for not being more accomodating.

It wasn’t just the closing lineup, it’s was end of quarters when there were still some starters on the floor but those “core” vets were tired, in those late quarter minutes and it turns out as the season has progressed that the “core” vets kinda suck now when they get tired every bit as much as Poole or any of the kids sucked.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#93 » by wco81 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:54 am

Well Trey Murphy, drafted after Moody, is having a big scoring night.

Wonder what the decision making was for choosing Moody over Murphy.

Murphy is skinny so maybe they didn't think he'd be able to hold up. So they drafted PBJ last June.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#94 » by Big J » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:19 am

wco81 wrote:Well Trey Murphy, drafted after Moody, is having a big scoring night.

Murphy is skinny so maybe they didn't think he'd be able to hold up. So they drafted PBJ last June.

Screw Murphy, we could have had MFing Sengun. Think of how well he'd be fitting in our system.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,091

Post#95 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 am

Big J wrote:
wco81 wrote:Well Trey Murphy, drafted after Moody, is having a big scoring night.

Screw Murphy, we could have had MFing Sengun. Think of how well he'd be fitting in our system.

Sengun has never impressed me when I have seen him play. slow ass feet and bad defense. Murphy III hits threes and guards multiple positions.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,830

Post#96 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:12 am

Sengun would be a disaster on GS
watch1958
General Manager

Post#97 » by watch1958 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 am

whatisacenter wrote:
Big J wrote:

Sengun has never impressed me when I have seen him play. slow ass feet and bad defense. Murphy III hits threes and guards multiple positions.

And he could be backup for Wiggins right this minute
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#98 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:07 pm

Even Rockets fans think Sengun eventually comes off the bench.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#99 » by watch1958 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:45 am

Against Phoenix tonight, Moody was +3. That included -6 during garbage time. IWhen he left the floor early in the 4th, the team was +10, and he was +9.

Just imagine how big the lead would have been if Kerr would only play NBA caliber players.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Post#100 » by Jerry Maine » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:35 am

Moses played decently tonight, defence was honest, good cutting to the hoop. Nothing fantabulous but decent enough he might be able to give us spot minutes again in the post season
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022

Return to Golden State Warriors