Game 67: Warriors vs Knicks 7:30pm PT

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,415

Re: Game 67: Warriors vs Knicks 7:30pm PT 

Post#161 » by SpreeS » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:09 am

Romulus wrote:
SpreeS wrote:You guys need to realise that Brunson as first option is way better this season than Curry and NY isn’t TOP tier team in weaker conference. It shows how far we are from where want to be… if we won’t get real star to put Curry in Lillard/Durant position, GSW is max play-in team. Even Lebron with Davis in past 3y couldn’t secure TOP6 place once.

I recall in the last game Moody totally shut down Brunson. Remember that game? Knowing this, why he didn't start and guard Brunson from the opening tip is another mystery that only Steve Kerr can answer. Of course when he did enter, his knee started bothering him in those 8 minutes he played.

Anyway, as to your bigger point? Absolutely dead on. Curry needs a 2nd scoring option in the lineup. Unfortunately, Klay is so inconsistent and his defense is so brutal that he's a net minus as a starter.

The guy who comes immediately to mind is Paul George. Whoever it is, there has to be a move to improve the team with a reliable number 2.

Its totally false if you think that reliable second (SG or SF) option will make this team title contender. Unless this option is big like Adebayo or Davis who elite on defence ir could give you 20pts + on daily basis. This player must have tremendous impact on both side of the floor to make us top tier team. 34y old George wont save this team. Looking at Curry this season (w/o roses glases) he isnt TOP10 player by impact. Even players like Mitchell or Brunson led his teams to wins without an important starting players. In last 34y only two teams won w/o TOP5 or TOP10 player (DET 2004 and SAN 2014). Days with Curry as 1st option on contending team are over and its ok only need to realize it and move forward.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 461

Post#162 » by Romulus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:22 am

DonaldSanders wrote:All season it's been obvious we need a good guard to pair with Curry who has the ability to score, especially from 3. Podz is a great off the bench utility player, but he's not utilizing the gravity of Steph at all. There's not 1 single shooter being paired with Curry in the starting lineup. None! And we know Klay has to be a bench player at this point. Curry needs a backcourt buddy who can fulfill the role Klay used to, maybe even moreso with his current age/mild decline.

This is why I begged for us to get into the Jrue sweepstakes and move CP3 + big assets to get him for one final reload. Dude is shooting 44.5% from 3 with lockdown defense, just the guy we're missing. Next we had a chance at Dejounte Murray, and we stood pat. I don't know if guys this quality will be gettable next year but we need to do something at the guard position.

OMG, can you imagine if the Warriors had gotten either Jrue or Murray? Talk about a game changer. Jrue would be the preferred choice because of his defense of course but Murray would have also been a major upgrade.

It's just so frustrating watching this team knowing it's not good enough, knowing Curry's timeline has an expiration date, and seeing the FO literally sit on his hands and do nothing to improve the team.

Winning seems like an after-thought; getting out of the tax after the season seems the priority. Maddening as a fan to even watch them struggle. They actually have a losing record at home this year. SMH.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 461

Post#163 » by Romulus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:33 am

SpreeS wrote:
Romulus wrote:
SpreeS wrote:You guys need to realise that Brunson as first option is way better this season than Curry and NY isn’t TOP tier team in weaker conference. It shows how far we are from where want to be… if we won’t get real star to put Curry in Lillard/Durant position, GSW is max play-in team. Even Lebron with Davis in past 3y couldn’t secure TOP6 place once.

I recall in the last game Moody totally shut down Brunson. Remember that game? Knowing this, why he didn't start and guard Brunson from the opening tip is another mystery that only Steve Kerr can answer. Of course when he did enter, his knee started bothering him in those 8 minutes he played.

Anyway, as to your bigger point? Absolutely dead on. Curry needs a 2nd scoring option in the lineup. Unfortunately, Klay is so inconsistent and his defense is so brutal that he's a net minus as a starter.

The guy who comes immediately to mind is Paul George. Whoever it is, there has to be a move to improve the team with a reliable number 2.

Its totally false if you think that reliable second (SG or SF) option will make this team title contender. Unless this option is big like Adebayo or Davis who elite on defence ir could give you 20pts + on daily basis. This player must have tremendous impact on both side of the floor to make us top tier team. 34y old George wont save this team. Looking at Curry this season (w/o roses glases) he isnt TOP10 player by impact. Even players like Mitchell or Brunson led his teams to wins without an important starting players. In last 34y only two teams won w/o TOP5 or TOP10 player (DET 2004 and SAN 2014). Days with Curry as 1st option on contending team are over and its ok only need to realize it and move forward.

I'm not going to disagree that Curry has declined because he has. But Kerr does him absolutely no favors. Even when he manages to score 30, he rarely is involved in the lst quarter at all, and I'm not just talking about taking 2 shots. He rarely even touches the ball. Tonight against the Knicks, I wasn't so much frustrated with the 2 shots as him not even having the ball to create openings for all the other non-creators out there. Why should anyone be surprised that unit can't score, especially if the game plan is use Curry as a freaking decoy.

But Curry for sure has more off nights now that ever before. He also has had incredible games this year, and been really good in the 4th quarter. Also, running this motion offense for a 36 year old has to be exhausting, regardless of his minutes per game. You see him now at times just stand in the corner because I'm sure he needs a little rest and he also often isn't even rewarded with the ball. I truly believe at this point in Curry's career, it would help to have him bring the ball up more and start the offense with a drive or a shot or a pass rather that constantly playing off the ball. But that's an adjustment that Kerr obviously won't even consider. Instead, it's run the same system, with the only modification being more guards to get more passing (and more turnovers).

News flash. It ain't gonna work.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,404

Post#164 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 pm

ShayDee wrote:Kerr needs to protect Podz. The fanbase is turning on him. He either needs to remove him from the starting lineup or cut his minutes and bench him if he is not taking shots or being a liability on defense. There are other players on this team, it doesn't have to be Pod or bust

Who should start for podz now that moody is hurt?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM

Post#165 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 pm

We went on a good run to the the half with Curry/Podz/GP2/JK/Dray? Did that lineup play again in the 2nd half?
Onus
RealGM

Post#166 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 pm

Feels like every time moody is needed to step up, he's gotten hurt this year
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,432

Post#167 » by jg77 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:37 pm

I think it might be time to put Klay back in the starting lineup. Podz doesn't add anything tbh
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#168 » by cpower » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 pm

the entire team is inconsistent and Kerr cant find 3-4 players that he can play every night. its a gamble game and he is picking the players every time wrong.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,432

Post#169 » by jg77 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 pm

ShayDee wrote:Kerr needs to protect Podz. The fanbase is turning on him. He either needs to remove him from the starting lineup or cut his minutes and bench him if he is not taking shots or being a liability on defense. There are other players on this team, it doesn't have to be Pod or bust

Kerr should stop playing favorites. It doesn't make sense why he plays Podz so many minutes. JK had to complain to get his due.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 262

Post#170 » by ShayDee » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 pm

Onus wrote:

I didn't necessarily say bench. I also mention cut his minutes when he doesn't help as much. Too many times he passes up shots it just doesn't help and his defense is overrated, he tries but it's not good enough, especially playing next to Steph who is a negative
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#171 » by bicycle » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:21 pm

Romulus wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:All season it's been obvious we need a good guard to pair with Curry who has the ability to score, especially from 3. Podz is a great off the bench utility player, but he's not utilizing the gravity of Steph at all. There's not 1 single shooter being paired with Curry in the starting lineup. None! And we know Klay has to be a bench player at this point. Curry needs a backcourt buddy who can fulfill the role Klay used to, maybe even moreso with his current age/mild decline.

This is why I begged for us to get into the Jrue sweepstakes and move CP3 + big assets to get him for one final reload. Dude is shooting 44.5% from 3 with lockdown defense, just the guy we're missing. Next we had a chance at Dejounte Murray, and we stood pat. I don't know if guys this quality will be gettable next year but we need to do something at the guard position.

OMG, can you imagine if the Warriors had gotten either Jrue or Murray? Talk about a game changer. Jrue would be the preferred choice because of his defense of course but Murray would have also been a major upgrade.

It's just so frustrating watching this team knowing it's not good enough, knowing Curry's timeline has an expiration date, and seeing the FO literally sit on his hands and do nothing to improve the team.

Winning seems like an after-thought; getting out of the tax after the season seems the priority. Maddening as a fan to even watch them struggle. They actually have a losing record at home this year. SMH.

This team after trading for Jrue or Murray is still probably not even better than the Kings. The flaws go too deep and as frustrating as Wiggins is losing him still costs us something.
Onus
RealGM

Post#172 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:25 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:

I didn't necessarily say bench. I also mention cut his minutes when he doesn't help as much. Too many times he passes up shots it just doesn't help and his defense is overrated, he tries but it's not good enough, especially playing next to Steph who is a negative

who should take his minutes? gp2? No one really had a good game last night and Moody got hurt. Podz only played 25 and gp2 played 16. Wiggins wasn't great. Dray sucked.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#173 » by ShayDee » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:Who should start for podz now that moody is hurt?

who should take his minutes? gp2? No one really had a good game last night and Moody got hurt. Podz only played 25 and gp2 played 16. Wiggins wasn't great. Dray sucked.

He has figure it out now. Pod is not providing any spacing. He is basically a smaller Draymond without the defense
Onus
RealGM

Post#174 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:50 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

He has got to have to figure it out now. Pod is not providing any spacing. He is basically a smaller Draymond without the defense

That's been one of our biggest issues all year. We have no one on the team that can shoot outside of Steph and Klay. That's why I wanted whomever was the best shooter in the draft. I thought Podz would've been a decent shooter but he's really not a good catch and shoot player. He even said he didn't really get many in santa clara. I think it's been a bad thing for his development that he said he wanted to be draymond. He should be working on ways to get his shot, as he needs to be a threat.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#175 » by ShayDee » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:who should take his minutes? gp2? No one really had a good game last night and Moody got hurt. Podz only played 25 and gp2 played 16. Wiggins wasn't great. Dray sucked.

He has got to have to figure it out now. Pod is not providing any spacing. He is basically a smaller Draymond without the defense

That's been one of our biggest issues all year. We have no one on the team that can shoot outside of Steph and Klay. That's why I wanted whomever was the best shooter in the draft. I thought Podz would've been a decent shooter but he's really not a good catch and shoot player. He even said he didn't really get many in santa clara. I think it's been a bad thing for his development that he said he wanted to be draymond. He should be working on ways to get his shot, as he needs to be a threat.

This team already has 2 starters that almost don't want to take 3s(Dray, Kuminga) add a 3rd and that is almost a death sentence at the start of many games and almost going backwards in the new NBA

The roster construction is just a mess, combined with how many players on the roster that have the potential to be shooters that are not delivering. It just makes it much more difficult for Steph. And then Klay straight up regresses at the same time as well

Compare it to the knicks roster last game, 3 people were above 3 made 3s, only Steph made more than 1 three and 3 starters hit 0
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#176 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:who should take his minutes? gp2? No one really had a good game last night and Moody got hurt. Podz only played 25 and gp2 played 16. Wiggins wasn't great. Dray sucked.

The problem with the podz minutes (and kerrs insistence on playing small) is that players can't get in a rhythm.

Wiggs plays 1 or 2 minute shifts, so podz can get a breather.
Jk kept sitting for long stretches because kerr puts 3 or 4 smalls on the court.

The sub patterns are chaotic for forwards.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,711

Post#177 » by WarriorGM » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 pm

I'm going to say the main problem in this game was Wiggins. He was 2 for 9 field goal attempts and scored 7 points. That just doesn't cut it. The premise with Steph is that he draws the attention of the opponent's defense so much that it allows his teammates to feast. They need to show they can punish such weaknesses. Wiggins is the guy closest to his prime on the team and he was clearly the second best player when they won in 2022. He needs to be better. He needs to get back to the form that allowed him to come up with a regular 17 points like a metronome. If he had scored 10 more points in this game there's a good chance this would have been a win. You don't expect Draymond to carry the offense and Podz as solid as he has been is still a rookie. By default the blame lands at Wiggins's feet.
Onus
RealGM

Post#178 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

The problem with the podz minutes (and kerrs insistence on playing small) is that players can't get in a rhythm.

Wiggs plays 1 or 2 minute shifts, so podz can get a breather.
Jk kept sitting for long stretches because kerr puts 3 or 4 smalls on the court.

The sub patterns are chaotic for forwards.

Wiggins really hasn't been good since he came back. Defensively he's been fine but offensively he hasn't found his groove yet.

JK was a mess last night.
Onus
RealGM

Post#179 » by Onus » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:04 pm

I'm going to say last night was a schedule loss. The knicks just looked like they had so much more energy than we did.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,167

Post#180 » by TB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm

I was actually pleased seeing that they stayed within 10 throughout most of the game... felt like we were down 20+ with the shots they were making and turnovers we were making, yet every time I looked at score we crept back to 8-10 down or so... at some point Dray needed to snap into it and someone needed to take over, and it just didn't happen.

The 7/8 game is slipping away rather quickly. And IMO, no 7/8 is essentially a nail in the coffin as I dont have any faith in winning 2 straight play-in games.

Return to Golden State Warriors