ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#381 » by TB » Fri May 10, 2024 6:36 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m. I don't think the Magic wants to give Klay a 3rd season because Banchero's max will hit that season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I would be very happy for Klay, the Warriors, and the Magic if Klay took a 2 year deal of 25m or more annually from the Magic.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#382 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 6:48 pm

TB wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm a Magic fan. It's looking more like my team will offer Klay a big 2 yr deal. Probably in the range of $70m. It's possible that Klay stays with Golden State if they offer him a 3rd season. Something like 3 yrs $78m. I don't think the Magic wants to give Klay a 3rd season because Banchero's max will hit that season.

I would be very happy for Klay, the Warriors, and the Magic if Klay took a 2 year deal of 25m or more annually from the Magic.
Our president of operations always sides with players being able to play well after injuries. He signed Isaac to a 4 yr deal after he was injured. He signed Ingles last year after having an ACL 1.5 years before. If Klay can get back to shooting 42% from 3, it would be a homerun. Plus, Suggs and Franz were both in the top 25 in defensive EPM, so Klay would always guard the weaker matchup.

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#383 » by Onus » Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 pm

basketballRob wrote:
TB wrote:

Our president of operations always sides with players being able to play well after injuries. He signed Isaac to a 4 yr deal after he was injured. He signed Ingles last year after having an ACL 1.5 years before. If Klay can get back to shooting 42% from 3, it would be a homerun. Plus, Suggs and Franz were both in the top 25 in defensive EPM, so Klay would always guard the weaker matchup.

Klay is who he is. I'm sure the injuries have taken some from Klay, but his issues on this team actually stem more from his inability to rotate and be a low defender and rebound. His injuries took away his ability to stay with quick guards and because of that Kerr wanted to remove him from POA. But he's a terrible rebounder and help defender which he always has been. Klay can still shoot and one of the best shooters in the league last year. We just run too much offense for him because of his history here. He takes too many hero shots and takes us out of rhythm. But you get him in catch and shoot situations and he can go straight up and down and he can hit shots. It's when he starts leaning or fading or doing his 1 leg kick and things can go off. I do think you guys have the defenders to hide him and everyone else on the team boxes out and rebounds while we had too many players that don't do that. He can still defend big wings, but anyone with speed he's just toast. We just have too many poor defenders and players who dont box out to have multiple of them on the floor at the same time since we're also tiny.

Trying to play defense with Curry/CP/Klay was painful to watch.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#384 » by TB » Fri May 10, 2024 9:20 pm

Hot take: I think Draymond may be really bad at not talking about things maybe best left un-said.

Yesterday I put up my prediction for the offseason and one of the moves was Wiggins for THJ, Kleber, and hopefully O-Max. We all heard that Dallas had interest in Wiggins the last couple trade opportunities.... but now we got Dray tweeting THJ with some Shrug emojis as he was knocking down shots last night.

I'm reaching, but I think there is a not zero percentage chance that Dray has kicked that idea around with front office and just couldn't help himself tweeting that lol
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#385 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 10:19 pm

TB wrote:Hot take: I think Draymond may be really bad at not talking about things maybe best left un-said.

Yesterday I put up my prediction for the offseason and one of the moves was Wiggins for THJ, Kleber, and hopefully O-Max. We all heard that Dallas had interest in Wiggins the last couple trade opportunities.... but now we got Dray tweeting THJ with some Shrug emojis as he was knocking down shots last night.

I'm reaching, but I think there is a not zero percentage chance that Dray has kicked that idea around with front office and just couldn't help himself tweeting that lol
Jarrett Allen for Wiggins might be a good option. Cleveland needs wing players, and Mobley looks better without Allen.

vvoland
Senior
And1: 127

Post#386 » by vvoland » Fri May 10, 2024 10:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:
TB wrote:Hot take: I think Draymond may be really bad at not talking about things maybe best left un-said.

Jarrett Allen for Wiggins might be a good option. Cleveland needs wing players, and Mobley looks better without Allen.

Allen is on a great contract - 20M/yr for next season and the one after. I"m sure Cleveland will have plenty of suitors. Assuming they get another 6M into the trade, how many 1st round picks are you comfortable in giving Cleveland since they're taking back the worse player AND the worse contract? I like allen, but I don't think I'm including anything other than one first rounder and even then, it'll have to be protected. The cavs will probably get a bunch of better offers than wiggins and a protected pick.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#387 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 11:05 pm

vvoland wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Allen is on a great contract - 20M/yr for next season and the one after. I"m sure Cleveland will have plenty of suitors. Assuming they get another 6M into the trade, how many 1st round picks are you comfortable in giving Cleveland since they're taking back the worse player AND the worse contract? I like allen, but I don't think I'm including anything other than one first rounder and even then, it'll have to be protected. The cavs will probably get a bunch of better offers than wiggins and a protected pick.
The only other rumor I've heard is Ingram. The Pelicans need a replacement for JV.

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#388 » by HiRez » Wed May 15, 2024 5:59 pm

Speaking of Cleveland, there are rumors Donovan Mitchell might be on the block and I'm warming up to the idea. Biggest problem is he's another smaller guard (6-3 similar to Steph). But this year he grades out as a significant positive on both offense and defense, both EPM and DPM (ie. DARKO) show this. Not only can he light up the scoreboard and shoot with efficiency, but like Steph, he's another combo guard who can also pass the ball and even be the PG when needed (6.1 AST/GM). And he'll be 28, he's got the experience and is just entering his prime, so not as bad/risky as adding another vet at the end of their career. He's a guy who can be a true #2 or #1B and honestly, he might even be a #1A to Steph over the next few years. If you want someone else who can consistently put pressure on a defense, he'd be a great one to have.

It feels like we could put together a competitive package for him with a mix of assets like Kuminga, Podz, Moody, and draft picks, who might become expendable, and some larger salaries to balance (Wiggins, GP2, etc.). Or really go all in and add Jarrett Allen or (more unlikely) Mobley...would require pretty much sending out all our assets, but adding Mitchell + Allen/Mobley would be a massive upgrade on the top end.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#389 » by EvanZ » Thu May 16, 2024 7:16 pm

HiRez wrote:Speaking of Cleveland, there are rumors Donovan Mitchell might be on the block and I'm warming up to the idea. Biggest problem is he's another smaller guard (6-3 similar to Steph). But this year he grades out as a significant positive on both offense and defense, both EPM and DPM (ie. DARKO) show this. Not only can he light up the scoreboard and shoot with efficiency, but like Steph, he's another combo guard who can also pass the ball and even be the PG when needed (6.1 AST/GM). And he'll be 28, he's got the experience and is just entering his prime, so not as bad/risky as adding another vet at the end of their career. He's a guy who can be a true #2 or #1B and honestly, he might even be a #1A to Steph over the next few years. If you want someone else who can consistently put pressure on a defense, he'd be a great one to have.

It feels like we could put together a competitive package for him with a mix of assets like Kuminga, Podz, Moody, and draft picks, who might become expendable, and some larger salaries to balance (Wiggins, GP2, etc.). Or really go all in and add Jarrett Allen or (more unlikely) Mobley...would require pretty much sending out all our assets, but adding Mitchell + Allen/Mobley would be a massive upgrade on the top end.

Seems like the rumor is more about Garland wanting out. Not surprising to me. I never thought it was a good trade from his perspective. Personally, I'd love to have Garland for a couple years and then have him going forward. There's some history here with his dad Winston played for us in the late 80s.

Keep in mind it is not so easy to trade with the new CBA rules. I think we cannot aggregate salaries unless we get under the second apron, which means it has to be a 1-for-1 type of deal on our end. Or something like that.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#390 » by xdrta+ » Thu May 16, 2024 7:58 pm

EvanZ wrote:
HiRez wrote:Speaking of Cleveland, there are rumors Donovan Mitchell might be on the block and I'm warming up to the idea. Biggest problem is he's another smaller guard (6-3 similar to Steph). But this year he grades out as a significant positive on both offense and defense, both EPM and DPM (ie. DARKO) show this. Not only can he light up the scoreboard and shoot with efficiency, but like Steph, he's another combo guard who can also pass the ball and even be the PG when needed (6.1 AST/GM). And he'll be 28, he's got the experience and is just entering his prime, so not as bad/risky as adding another vet at the end of their career. He's a guy who can be a true #2 or #1B and honestly, he might even be a #1A to Steph over the next few years. If you want someone else who can consistently put pressure on a defense, he'd be a great one to have.

Seems like the rumor is more about Garland wanting out. Not surprising to me. I never thought it was a good trade from his perspective. Personally, I'd love to have Garland for a couple years and then have him going forward. There's some history here with his dad Winston played for us in the late 80s.

Keep in mind it is not so easy to trade with the new CBA rules. I think we cannot aggregate salaries unless we get under the second apron, which means it has to be a 1-for-1 type of deal on our end. Or something like that.

If they're over the 2nd Apron (it's figured after the trade) they not only can't aggregate salaries but they can't receive more salary than they send out. They can't even send out a player in an S&T. So it would be one player making at least $36.7M. Obviously, that's not happening. But I doubt they will be in that position. I think their main goals this offseason are; #1 get under the 2nd Apron, then in descending order, get under the 1st Apron, then the tax line, then the cap. They may not get all the way to the cap, but there's no way they'll be over the 2nd Apron.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Post#391 » by CDM_Stats » Thu May 16, 2024 9:35 pm

Allen is the only guy I'd want from CLE right now, assuming Mobley is far too costly. If not, him too. But the rest? Would cost way too much and not fit well enough
HiRez
RealGM

Post#392 » by HiRez » Fri May 17, 2024 8:42 pm

Warriors receive ($55.4M)
Mitchell
Allen
Rubio (expiring)

Cavs Receive ($55.0M)
CP3
Kuminga
Moody
Podz
Loon
2 pick swaps
(Add protected future FRP if necessary)

Then let Klay walk, backfill with vet mins, whoever is this year's DDV/Saric.

Curry / Rubio / Mitchell
Mitchell / Curry / GP2 / Quiñones
Wiggins / GP2 / Santos / Quiñones
Draymond / Wiggins / Santos / GP2
Allen / TJD / Draymond
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#393 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 17, 2024 9:25 pm

HiRez wrote:Warriors receive ($55.4M)
Mitchell
Allen
Rubio (expiring)

Cavs Receive ($55.0M)
CP3
Kuminga
Moody
Podz
Loon
2 pick swaps
(Add protected future FRP if necessary)

Then let Klay walk, backfill with vet mins, whoever is this year's DDV/Saric.

Curry / Rubio / Mitchell
Mitchell / Curry / GP2 / Quiñones
Wiggins / GP2 / Santos / Quiñones
Draymond / Wiggins / Santos / GP2
Allen / TJD / Draymond

Didn't Rubio retire? I know they bought him out so he's a FA at best. Other than that, this deal puts them a little over the 1st Apron, with a hard-cap at the 2nd Apron, about $12M away.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#394 » by HiRez » Fri May 17, 2024 9:59 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Didn't Rubio retire? I know they bought him out so he's a FA at best. Other than that, this deal puts them a little over the 1st Apron, with a hard-cap at the 2nd Apron, about $12M away.

I guess I missed that but you're right, apparently he did retire.
Onus
RealGM

Post#395 » by Onus » Sat May 18, 2024 9:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=h04jzpYaK3WCFqMaxKX3iQ

Claxton anyone?
HiRez
RealGM

Post#396 » by HiRez » Sat May 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Onus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Claxton anyone?

I'd rather have Jarrett Allen but we desperately need size and youth, so I guess I'd have to be interested to some degree. Claxton is a serious liability from the line though, Allen is not.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#397 » by xdrta+ » Sat May 18, 2024 11:00 pm

Onus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Claxton anyone?

I'd be interested to see the "creative" solution they have in mind.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,669

Post#398 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 am

Maybe we could try sending Wiggins for Allen. Cavs need better wings. Similar ages and contracts too.

Easier said than done, though.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,351

Post#399 » by wco81 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:20 am

They both have length and finishing that the Warriors don't have.

But both Allen and Clayton have had questions about whether they can play against more physical teams, especially in the playoffs.

They've both done well in the regular season but have struggled more in the playoffs. Allen was injured in these playoffs but remember last year when Robinson just dominated the glass against the Cavs.

The weird thing is, you can't always predict how bigger players and players in general will do in the playoffs if they've have no or limited playoffs experience.

For instance, both Gafford and PJ Washington were on really bad defensive lineups this season before they were traded to Dallas. In fact, the lineups of their old teams fared WORSE when Gafford or Washington was on as opposed to off the court. Maybe they weren't playing as hard or they benefit from playing with Derrick Jones -- Luka isn't helping their defense.

Allen or Clayton would be fine in the regular season but big questions if and when the Warriors would have to play Denver, Minnesota, Dallas in the playoffs or even in big games.
Onus
RealGM

Post#400 » by Onus » Sun May 19, 2024 2:02 am

wco81 wrote:They both have length and finishing that the Warriors don't have.

But both Allen and Clayton have had questions about whether they can play against more physical teams, especially in the playoffs.

They've both done well in the regular season but have struggled more in the playoffs. Allen was injured in these playoffs but remember last year when Robinson just dominated the glass against the Cavs.

The weird thing is, you can't always predict how bigger players and players in general will do in the playoffs if they've have no or limited playoffs experience.

For instance, both Gafford and PJ Washington were on really bad defensive lineups this season before they were traded to Dallas. In fact, the lineups of their old teams fared WORSE when Gafford or Washington was on as opposed to off the court. Maybe they weren't playing as hard or they benefit from playing with Derrick Jones -- Luka isn't helping their defense.

Allen or Clayton would be fine in the regular season but big questions if and when the Warriors would have to play Denver, Minnesota, Dallas in the playoffs or even in big games.

I think with the way the game is being played right now having smart defenders is more important than a run of the mill rim protector. You’re going to have to double team players which means you need to have players that know where to rotate and can cover ground. There’s so many zone concepts coming into play that covering ground on defense and spacing is more important.

Return to Golden State Warriors