DB or LB or DL

Which Positions are more Vital

Total votes: 0

Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

DB or LB or DL 

Post#1 » by Harry10 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:39 am

if you could get 2 Pro-Bowl Corners, or 2 Pro-Bowl Linebackers, or 2 Pro-Bowl Defensive Linemen, which position would you rahter overload on.

or to give you a better visual

Richard Seymour / Marcus Stroud

or

Shawne Merriman / Ray Lewis

or

Champ Bailey / DeAngelo Hall

it is pretty easy for me, i would want a legit Pro-Bowl DT and a legit Pro-Bowl DE.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#2 » by Next Coming » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 am

I think the majority would go with 2 DL.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#3 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Depends on the defense I'm running. If it's something like the Pats run, I'm taking the two LBs.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Fatty
Head Coach
And1: 11

Post#4 » by Fatty » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:48 pm

DL no matter the system. Shutdown cornerbacks are absolutely not needed to win in the NFL
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:01 pm

Fatty wrote:DL no matter the system.

Wholeheartedly disagree; there are quite a few teams that have great defenses with merely competent defensive linemen. Heck, look at how well the Pats did in Seymour
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#6 » by J.Kim » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Yeah, but there's not enough coaches who can effectively teach that kind of scheme.

I'll take the DLs because the defensive scheme is much more simpler and easier to build around a DL-based defense than a LB-based defense.

That and the IMO, the Patriots work so well because Wilfork and the D-Line are monsters... but you know the Pats better than I do, so I'll leave that one to you.
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Harry10 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:48 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:Depends on the defense I'm running. If it's something like the Pats run, I'm taking the two LBs.

well you are the coach and the gm, and can pick the players and system, you just have to win.

so which position would you rather overload on.

but i agree with everyone else on this board, you are wrong, DL no matter what system, even if it was a 3-4, you are still going to have 2 double teams on the OL and that means the other non-pro-bowl DL is getting single coverage and the LBs are free to rome, and make the LBs and S look better than they really are.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:56 pm

but i agree with everyone else on this board, you are wrong, DL no matter what system,

I didn't know subjective opinions could be wrong, but w/e. You seem to know the answers to your own questions.

You guys can have the DLs, I
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by J.Kim » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:You guys can have the DLs, I
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#10 » by studcrackers » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:31 pm

where is that quote from your sig bbj? link me to that

and i agree with bbj, if im running a 3-4 i want the linebacker. take the cowboys, the dlineman are very average for the most part but demarcus ware and greg ellis make that defense go b/c they're so good at pass rushing (ware's amazing at everything though)
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#11 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:33 pm

I'll take the D-Linemen.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by J.Kim » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Wait. Pro-Bowl DT and a Pro-Bowl DE?

Not just any two Pro-Bowl D-Linemen?

I might just switch my opinion to two Pro-Bowl LBs then.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:12 pm

J.Kim wrote:How would you be so sure? The NFL (through its HoF), and the media tend to be biased, to favor the none-Line of Scrimmage based players, and slight those Line of Scrimmage players quite a lot. There's no sure-fire way to measure the worth of one unit versus the other. Perhaps a player like Lawrence Taylor was so good only because the Defensive Linemen on the Giants played so well (although this is definitely not the case. Just a hypothetical)

This is true, but then again by playing this logical question, you
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:15 pm

studcrackers wrote:where is that quote from your sig bbj? link me to that

No can do from work. Go to The Dugout and click on the Aubrey Huff one. Then click on the link to his interview with some radio host.

and i agree with bbj, if im running a 3-4 i want the linebacker. take the cowboys, the dlineman are very average for the most part but demarcus ware and greg ellis make that defense go b/c they're so good at pass rushing (ware's amazing at everything though)

:thumbsup:
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#15 » by Next Coming » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:46 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wholeheartedly disagree; there are quite a few teams that have great defenses with merely competent defensive linemen. Heck, look at how well the Pats did in Seymour
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#16 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:07 am

Quick name two players on the Skins defensive line.

Yeah exactly. An elite secondary can do wonders for a defense. Much harder to find great defensive backs as opposed to defensive lineman. Some of the best defensive ends in the leagues were mid round picks.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by J.Kim » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:26 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Quick name two players on the Skins defensive line.

Yeah exactly. An elite secondary can do wonders for a defense. Much harder to find great defensive backs as opposed to defensive lineman. Some of the best defensive ends in the leagues were mid round picks.

What does not being able to name two of the Redskins' D-Linemen have to do anything with having two pro-bowlers on the D-Line?

BTW, Andre Carter and Cornelius Griffin.
It's not THAT hard to name two of them...
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#18 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:49 pm

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What does not being able to name two of the Redskins' D-Linemen have to do anything with having two pro-bowlers on the D-Line?

BTW, Andre Carter and Cornelius Griffin.
It's not THAT hard to name two of them...

Because it proves that you don't need an elite defensive line to be dominant. Most QB's get the ball out of there hands within 2-4 seconds regardless of pressure or not.

Having a shutdown corner allows you to run much more variations in a defense than having a Pro bowl defensive end. Besides that, elite secondary players are much more consistent than defensive ends. Theres only a few defensive lineman in the game who bring it every game.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#19 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Just because it's harder to find them doesn't mean they are more valuable.

The Patriots have 3 superbowls, and it seems like for most of the seasons there secondary is decimated with injuries.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#20 » by Icness » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:06 am

If I could get Shaun Rogers and Tommie Harris on my DL together, I could have the crap the Bengals call LBs and still have a dominant defense. I'm a 4-3 guy though. Give those two to Dick Lebeau, or BBJ, and they're gonna need a lot of help.

I believe the key to defense is controlling the middle of the field, from the LOS all the way to as far as the QB can chuck it. If you can control the run between the tackles, get pressure on the QB up the gut, and keep WRs from doing damage while crossing the middle and running seams/posts, you're going to have a very good defense. You can do it with DL or LB--play to the strengths of your talent.

As far as lockdown CBs, I see them more as a luxury than a necessity. Look at New England--Samuel is a pretty good cover CB, but for most of their recent run they've had subpar CBs and still done quite well. Indy swaps CBs like Hugh Hefner swaps hotties and their pass D is always better than their run D.

Return to Player Comparisons