ImageImageImage

James Edwards III Offseason Trade Idea

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 33

Re: James Edwards III Offseason Trade Idea 

Post#41 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 am

bstein14 wrote:100% need shooters over just about everything else. I like Claxton as someone who could come in and help us out on D but overall we can't take any more non shooters. That's why Tyus Jones (plus his lack of TOs) is a big target for me. He wants to start and I'd be fine with him starting next to Cade. It's pretty clear if we want to win 30+ games next year Ivey likely needs to be a lower MPG backup if he's still here. If we can't land Tyus then we should take a quick look at Quickley who's great in pick and roll and shoots 40% from deep. If they can't be had we should consider De'Angelo Russell who's 41+% from deep. Malik Monk 37.5% from deep. KCP, Hayward, Hield, are also options albeit a bit older. Last resort you've got Beasley, Burks, Melton, Gary Trent Jr, Royce O'Neal, etc... There are simply tons of guys shooting 37+% from deep there is zero reason for us to have only two guys on our roster who can shoot decently.

All good choices.

Sort the teams by 3 point percentage - 11 of the bottom 12 teams are in the lottery. It’s really that simple.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,327

Post#42 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 am

We had plenty of players with high 3 pt percentages last season but they were old and couldn’t play D and couldn’t stay on the floor. Shooting is important but if it were enough by itself, we’d be starting Buddy B.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#43 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 am

Cowology wrote:I might get some hate for this... but Stewart contributes more to winning then Duren. :nod:

I don't think it's an outlandish thing to say. Isaiah Stewart had the best on/off splits on the team by far (+7.4 compared to Duren's +1.1). The issue once again this season was health.

I'm also not out on Duren as much as others. He's had 8 ankle injuries in his first two seasons and has admitted in interviews that it has affected his lift and how he defends. I'd give him an offseason of recovery and working further on his game and then another season to show us his potential. He's 20 years old.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#44 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 am

To be clear, I’m not out on Duren. I’m just not confident he and Ausar can work together longterm, I’m not convinced Duren is a major building block for us, and I don’t mind packaging him with some other trade assets for a more known quantity. Duren can still develop, but he will have to develop skills he hasn’t really flashed yet in order to fit here and that’s not something we can reasonably expect.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman

Post#45 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:We had plenty of players with high 3 pt percentages last season but they were old and couldn’t play D and couldn’t stay on the floor. Shooting is important but if it were enough by itself, we’d be starting Buddy B.

We did not have such players. It’s obvious.

If you can’t shoot, you can’t win
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,867

Post#46 » by Snakebites » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am

Cowology wrote:
Billl wrote:The problem with Duren isn't offense. He can run a pick and roll and offensive rebound. Anything above that is gravy. He needs to stay in his lane and not try to do too much, but he's going to be fine there. His problem is 100% on the defensive end. He was a bad defender last year. He didn't block shots, defend the paint, get deflections, rotate well etc. He took a step back in all those areas and was just content to get the rebounds. Maybe it was the constant ankle injuries, but he just wasn't making plays defensively. You can be a non-shooting bigman in the NBA right now, but you can't be a non-shooting bigman that doesn't defend.
That makes sense. Is it more likely Duren develops a shot or that he becomes a good help-side shot blocker?

It’s kind of a moot point. The shooting would just be extra. He’s already a very good fit with Cade offensively with his ability to be part of two man action. Even the improved post play we saw this season was “extra”- nice to have but ultimately not a major factor.

Defensive improvement (particularly as a rim protector) is 100 percent necessary regardless of what other improvements he makes.

If we don’t think he can get there should look to move him in the hopes there’s a team out there that thinks they can make him a defender.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,798

Post#47 » by theBigLip » Fri May 3, 2024 3:20 pm

JEIII had another article out today exploring different trades w the beat writers from other teams. Spoiler alert - Lauri is going to very expensive to get :lol:
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,265

Post#48 » by GreekAlex » Sat May 4, 2024 12:04 am

theBigLip wrote:JEIII had another article out today exploring different trades w the beat writers from other teams. Spoiler alert - Lauri is going to very expensive to get :lol:

I don’t subscribe to the athletic. Give me a hint :D
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#49 » by theBigLip » Sat May 4, 2024 12:41 am

GreekAlex wrote:
theBigLip wrote:JEIII had another article out today exploring different trades w the beat writers from other teams. Spoiler alert - Lauri is going to very expensive to get :lol:

Pistons receive: Lauri Markkanen

Jazz receive: Jaden Ivey, Jalen Duren and 2024 first-round pick
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#50 » by theBigLip » Sat May 4, 2024 12:42 am

The Jazz beat writers response:

In a big picture, Markkanen’s value to the Jazz is so great that it’s going to take an offer that is probably not going to come to pry him from the Jazz. Something like four or five first-round picks, and a star-level talent coming over. Markkanen is a 7-footer who shoots 40 percent from 3-point range on volume. He falls out of bed and onto a basketball court, and he’s getting 25 points and 10 rebounds. He doesn’t need to dominate the basketball in order to accumulate these numbers. And most importantly, he’s a star-level player who likes being in Utah. The Jazz fully intend to build around him. They intend to sign him to a long-term deal. So, if you are the Pistons, unless Cade Cunningham and four first-round picks is the offer, don’t expect the Jazz to stay on the phone for very long.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#51 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 4, 2024 12:42 am

theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Probably worth it if the pick ends up on the lower end. Honestly doubt Utah would do that.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#52 » by theBigLip » Sat May 4, 2024 12:55 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Probably worth it if the pick ends up on the lower end. Honestly doubt Utah would do that.

Yup. If that was available, it would be done. No way we could get Lauri that easy.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,079

Post#53 » by bstein14 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:22 am

Lauri only has one more year left (24-25 season) and then he's an unrestricted FA that will want a 5 year $300+ million contract. That's why the Jazz are likely at least considering trading him based on where the rest of the team is in the rebuild. It's why we traded Grant.... its why the Raptors traded Siakam, etc..... getting some value before losing for nothing or having to commit a massive max contract to a borderline all-star.

It's very possible that he and his wife would prefer to be somewhere besides Detroit so I think its a safe bet we won't be mortgaging the future for a possible 1 year rental that might turn a 14 win team into a 34 win team.
ocellatus921
Junior
And1: 14

Post#54 » by ocellatus921 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:54 am

Ivy, Stew & 2024 1st to the Nets for Bridges & the Phoenix 1st
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,479

Post#55 » by Canadafan » Sat May 4, 2024 1:05 pm

ocellatus921 wrote:Ivy, Stew & 2024 1st to the Nets for Bridges & the Phoenix 1st

Nets can keep their pick. Sign me up lol.
Then we sign Monk to replace Ivey.
Still have lots of cap left to sign another guard and another forward
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#56 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:47 pm

bstein14 wrote:Lauri only has one more year left (24-25 season) and then he's an unrestricted FA that will want a 5 year $300+ million contract. That's why the Jazz are likely at least considering trading him based on where the rest of the team is in the rebuild. It's why we traded Grant.... its why the Raptors traded Siakam, etc..... getting some value before losing for nothing or having to commit a massive max contract to a borderline all-star.

In retrospect, I think we should've resigned Grant rather than trade him.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#57 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:48 pm

ocellatus921 wrote:Ivy, Stew & 2024 1st to the Nets for Bridges & the Phoenix 1st

In a heartbeat.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman

Post#58 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sun May 5, 2024 12:11 pm

I can’t even put that one on the t&t board. It would get laughed off.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,479

Post#59 » by Canadafan » Sun May 5, 2024 2:22 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

I can’t even put that one on the t&t board. It would get laughed off.

Seems alot on trade board saying because his contract is running out that his value isn't too high but I dunno

viewtopic.php?t=2375333
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#60 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:33 pm

Not sure they'd do it, but take out the Phoenix 1st and I think that's a fair deal.

Return to Detroit Pistons